Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Ooh, close call... and a good catch for me Cox_ba12

Ooh, close call... and a good catch for me Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rsv1cox Today at 8:55 am

» Artwork for Otto Kuhni
by GallopingGhostler Today at 8:26 am

» Internet buy
by bsadonkill Today at 8:19 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by getback Today at 7:42 am

» Sherline lathe wont run
by getback Today at 7:15 am

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Yesterday at 7:38 pm

» Feed Station Zebra.. Spring 2022
by roddie Yesterday at 5:59 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 11:12 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:43 am

» Baja Bug / Dune Buggy Recoil Starter
by vambrosini Mon May 13, 2024 8:57 pm

» Wanted: Pull Starter reapir kit for a Cox Dune Buggy.
by vambrosini Mon May 13, 2024 8:55 pm

» cox dune buggy/ baja bug
by vambrosini Mon May 13, 2024 8:49 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Ooh, close call... and a good catch for me Empty
Live on Patrol

Ooh, close call... and a good catch for me

Go down

Ooh, close call... and a good catch for me Empty Ooh, close call... and a good catch for me

Post  RknRusty Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:21 pm

I got tired of looking at the chipped rudder tip of the Baby Flite Streak, so I got it down today to fix. I carved a square notch out of the tail and fashioned a piece of balsa to fill it in, glued it in place and brought the paint in the house to warm up. Later I punched a hole in a grocery bag, stuck the rudder through it and sprayed it red. I was admiring my work when I noticed a hairline crack in the paint around the control horn. Damned if the thing was only hanging on by a thread. The next mission of stressful high speed loops and near misses would have surely been a suicide mission. I knew I should have added a 1/16" ply doubler when I built the kit, but noooo it would be fine like it was. So tonight I'll fix her up so she'll be ready for my Saturday morning excursion.
Thank you, Lady Luck

The real reason I posted this otherwise un-noteworthy topic was to provide a couple of minutes of entertainment. It's getting slow around here. Computer Issues Turn your speakers on and click on the link, it's a good song.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Ooh, close call... and a good catch for me Empty Re: Ooh, close call... and a good catch for me

Post  John Goddard Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:42 pm

DAMMIT! Rusty
That's a fine voice you have there.
Very Happy
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Ooh, close call... and a good catch for me Empty Re: Ooh, close call... and a good catch for me

Post  RknRusty Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:23 pm

John Goddard wrote: DAMMIT! Rusty
That's a fine voice you have there.
Very Happy
lol! Ain't I smooth.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:23 pm

Good catch Rusty, if the Streak is going to go down in a blaze of glory, then it should be because of some awesome stunt and not a busted off control horn.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:49 pm

cribbs74 wrote:Good catch Rusty, if the Streak is going to go down in a blaze of glory, then it should be because of some awesome stunt and not a busted off control horn.
Yeah, that would have been sickening. I would have been sad and mad. I worked some more on the Refried Bean after that, but I'll have the streak ready for Saturday. It should be a pretty easy fix. I think I'm going to try the next higher hole on the horn this time. Right now I have it in the bottom of 3 holes. It has very little deflection in the bottom hole, but it's amazing what it will do like that.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:45 pm

I fixed the Streak's elevator. I cut out and drilled a 1/16" doubler for the screw to seat against on top and epoxied it in place, then epoxied a strip of fiberglass cloth on the underside for the horn to seat against. After I checked the elevator throw, it was much more that I was getting before, so it must have been flexing for a while. There's clearly no need to raise the control rod to the next hole, it gets plenty of deflection now.

I also found why the Li'l Satan's Tee Dee was surging and stuttering during last week's flight. It was just the fuel line crimping in the wind. It was too short, so I fixed that. I was excited about getting both planes in the air today. So I loaded up the Radio Flyer and towed it to the door of the shop to find out I was actually about to start scraping and painting my wife's potting table. So I scraped and I scraped and I painted and I painted until I was worn to a to a sore limping frazzle.
DAMMIT!
So after a beer and a bowl of chili, the next time my eyes opened, the sun was setting and college football was getting cranked up, and so goes my Saturday excursion.
DAMMIT!

Oh well, I'll be all tuned up, ready to pick up and go next time. I don't fly at the church on Sunday. But maybe I can post an actually entertaining report pretty soon.

And then my team lost a head busting slobber knocker by 2 points at the LSU Tigers.
DAMMIT!

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:39 am

That elevator problem musta been from hittin' that tree when you made the video.

As far as the potting table...we all get smacked up 'side the head with a "honey do" once in awhile. Smile

Good catch on that elevator AND the fuel tubing.

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:12 pm

gcb wrote:That elevator problem musta been from hittin' that tree when you made the video.

As far as the potting table...we all get smacked up 'side the head with a "honey do" once in awhile. Smile

Good catch on that elevator AND the fuel tubing.

George
That could very well have been from the tree hit. I couldn't find any evidence of a collision at the time, but I must have missed that. I had assumed it was the wing that smacked it. It should have had a doubler anyway. Brodak misses a thing or two here and there in their kits. My Bean didn't have any bracing on the elevator either but I added it.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down