Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

The non-issue (to me) of engine RPM's - Page 2 Cox_ba12

The non-issue (to me) of engine RPM's - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» You know you’re in Branson, Missouri when
by batjac Today at 10:52 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Today at 8:53 am

» Cox Mustang repair
by rdw777 Today at 8:34 am

» Cox water wizard
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 11:46 pm

» Feed Station Zebra.. Spring 2024
by roddie Yesterday at 8:57 pm

» WenMac MkIII 049, Cox BabeBee, FOX 15X and 19 Prop Screw/Crank Threads
by roddie Yesterday at 7:34 pm

» Fun Times Keeping Busy With Lead.....
by cstatman Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Willy Nillie's Shoestring micro racer powered by COX TeeDee010
by balogh Tue May 28, 2024 5:17 pm

» I need to go back to RC school..
by cstatman Tue May 28, 2024 1:41 pm

» Cox Thimble Drome Special & Champion info please Or Is there a time line?
by Myk Mon May 27, 2024 10:26 pm

» Scientific Gulfhawk
by roddie Mon May 27, 2024 8:59 pm

» Memorial Day 2024
by roddie Mon May 27, 2024 8:48 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

The non-issue (to me) of engine RPM's - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

The non-issue (to me) of engine RPM's

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The non-issue (to me) of engine RPM's - Page 2 Empty Re: The non-issue (to me) of engine RPM's

Post  shell shock Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:46 pm

Thanks Admin for that link. read through the whole thing after i saw what you were talkin about. Cool stuff
shell shock
shell shock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

The non-issue (to me) of engine RPM's - Page 2 Empty Re: The non-issue (to me) of engine RPM's

Post  RknRusty Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:40 pm

PV Pilot wrote:Because he didn't eat his Wheaties.
The non-issue (to me) of engine RPM's - Page 2 Laugh-1 I spewed coffee out of my nose. Didn't see that one coming.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:37 pm

RknRusty wrote:
The non-issue (to me) of engine RPM's - Page 2 Laugh-1 I spewed coffee out of my nose. Didn't see that one coming.

Rusty: Actually I expected it; consider the source. (j/k) Laughing
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:19 pm

BTW, deep fried turkey is pretty good if you do it right. I have heard war stories about folks dropping frozen turkeys in hot grease...a definite no no.

For our engines, it is important to run a prop that both loads the engine to take advantage of the available torque at near peak RPM. We do this by varying diameter and pitch. We need to consider the airframe to pick the prop.

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:27 pm

Congrats to Geo! You nailed as well a I could have.

I only hope that everyone caught and understood your comment.
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:08 am

SuperDave wrote:...I only hope that everyone caught and understood your comment.

OK Here's some additional thoughts...

When you run on the lower end of the torque curve, perhaps by using a large diameter prop, you are at a lower RPM, which lowers the venturi velocity, with the end result being decreased fuel draw. This becomes important if you are using an external tank. That is why older diesels, which were intended to swing a club, have smaller venturis.

When you run at the higher end of the torque curve, eg. smaller prop, unless you go to extremes and exceed the design parameters of the particular engine, the engine will run fine. Bearings, such as the conrod lower end and the crankshaft have a characteristic that the higher the RPM, the more pressure excerted by the lube to keep the rotating part centered in the bearing (less wear). That is one of the reasons why insufficient lube wears out an engine quickly.

The prop - should be chosen for the airframe in question, then an engine that will handle it. Of course in competition, you need to follow strict guidelines. For something like a scale Piper Cub, however, a small prop doing a gazillion RPM just doesn't seem appropriate, even if it supplies the needed power.

I realize that many already know this stuff, but it might save a new guy's engine.

Your thoughts?

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:51 am

George:

When I initiated this thread I hoped that this very same information would be drawn out. There are no strict guidelines due to the many veriables: engine, airframe, weight, prop diameter and pitch.......

In essence experimentation is required to achieve maximum performance which often means compromising one factor against the others and so it is with life itself. It's illusionary to think one can have the best of everything.

Nice job.
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:09 am

SuperDave wrote:
RknRusty wrote:

Rusty: Actually I expected it; consider the source. (j/k) Laughing

Thank you!,, I get caught the the Superdave question tornado with no one throwing me a lifeline and this is how I get repayed??. Big thanks to all!! Very Happy

PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:20 am

PV Pilot wrote:

I get caught the the Superdave question tornado with no one throwing me a lifeline and this is how I get repayed??. Big thanks to all!! Very Happy

Oh come on PV do I not cause exercise of the ol' gray matter (brain) with my questions? Consider me a catalyist that promotes a reaction.

Beer Cheers
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:23 am

SuperDave wrote:
PV Pilot wrote:

I get caught the the Superdave question tornado with no one throwing me a lifeline and this is how I get repayed??. Big thanks to all!! Very Happy

Oh come on PV do I not cause exercise of the ol' gray matter (brain) with my questions? Consider me a catalyist that promotes a reaction.

Beer Cheers

Beer Cheers
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:03 pm

Admin wrote:I think the closest thing you will find to a transmission and clutch is the RC Jerobee McLaren MK 8B with the Cox engine and the Sea Bee boat. http://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/cox_models.htm

The 1989ish Cox GTP nissan car that I ran and still have has a centri clutch. Has the dragonfly style throttle ring and would idle nice without movement once adjusted properly. I ran several gallons thru that car and raced it a few times with the 1/12 scale electrics. Single gear ratio and open differential. I seen one sell on the bay for around $250 a few years back.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:25 pm

PV Pilot wrote:
Admin wrote:I think the closest thing you will find to a transmission and clutch is the RC Jerobee McLaren MK 8B with the Cox engine and the Sea Bee boat. http://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/cox_models.htm

The 1989ish Cox GTP nissan car that I ran and still have has a centri clutch. Has the dragonfly style throttle ring and would idle nice without movement once adjusted properly. I ran several gallons thru that car and raced it a few times with the 1/12 scale electrics. Single gear ratio and open differential. I seen one sell on the bay for around $250 a few years back.

That came with a Sanya radio right?
What kind of speed do you get? I always thought a reedie .049 was too small for a 1/12 scale rc car. I have a .050 frr engine in my 1/16 buggy.
I feel it would do better with a .074 or something I was thinking maybe a Norvel .074 heli motor.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:35 pm

nitroairplane wrote:
PV Pilot wrote:

That came with a Sanya radio right?
What kind of speed do you get? I always thought a reedie .049 was too small for a 1/12 scale rc car. I have a .050 frr engine in my 1/16 buggy.
I feel it would do better with a .074 or something I was thinking maybe a Norvel .074 heli motor.

Mine did not come with the sanya radio. I bought the ARR version, and then futaba micro reciever and micro servos for my radio and cut my own control wheels for the servos. I never speed trapped it and the AMB lamp counter systems were not readily availible at that time, it was all manual lap clicker counters and go until the timer stopped when racing. It was pretty fast, as a vauge description. Not very fast out of the hole, but it would sing pretty good down the long straights. The electrics still had me by far, even back then,but it was fun to hear it sing by and see the smoke trail.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:57 pm

I never ran cars so I have a question that may seem stupid to you guys. I understand that some race cars run only about 9% lube while our airplane engines need ~20%. How can they do that? My first thoughts are because they are running ball bearings, or because of the high RPM. That could explain needs for the lower end, but not the cylinder.

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:03 pm

gcb wrote:I never ran cars so I have a question that may seem stupid to you guys. I understand that some race cars run only about 9% lube while our airplane engines need ~20%. How can they do that?
George

An interesting question and one I've also wondered about. The engines run faster and I would think hotter since many are enclosed in car bodies, yet car fuels are often 20/10 and 30/10 blends.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:10 pm

A significant amount of fuel running thru a offroad/onroad car engine,,big heat sink head and finned engine blocks to pull that heat off, other little engine tips and tricks maufacturers use to make them last.

Fuel lube packages are usually more aggresive with anti-foamers and stabilizers, ect.

Novarossi makes alot of engine parts for other engine manufactureres, so they dyno these parts to make sure they can handle the heat and stress.

I always ran a 30% nitro 12% oil blend fuel when I raced 1/8 scale offroad, and it worked the best for me. Some guy's would get down to 7% oil, but that makes your tuning window very narrow, but allows for the engine to gargle less oil as it runs,,again freeing up rpms. As with all my engines, I would replace the steel main bearings with ceramics, to free up the rpms and take some of that load stress out of the motor, helped with the fuel economy as a by-product as well.

The cox GTP nissan head was unfinned and then had a big clamp on heat sink to pull that heat off.

PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2