Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

I miss combat CL flying Cox_ba12

I miss combat CL flying Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Tired of it all…
by getback Today at 2:32 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by OVERLORD Today at 2:20 pm

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by Kim Today at 7:41 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:46 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Today at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 12:27 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

I miss combat CL flying Empty
Live on Patrol

I miss combat CL flying

Go down

I miss combat CL flying Empty I miss combat CL flying

Post  fredvon4 Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:33 am

Before I got drafted and married in the early 70s I flew fast combat 1/2a and 35 sized most every good weather weekend. Mostly practicing and all local and regional events in the Pacific northwest

I flew home brewed foam wings based on a Mathis Mongooose stick built airplane

Found this web searching for Jeff Dawson who is reported to sell airplanes in RCG

perhaps some of it will spark an interest in a few members

wish I lived closer to a CL combat group

http://flyinglines.org/BG.2012.html
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

I miss combat CL flying Empty Re: I miss combat CL flying

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:05 am

Fred,

Not only is combat waning so is CL flying in general. I think it is still popular up on the East Coast and West Coast, but here in the south it just doesn't exist. I have been looking desperately for Cl'ers here in the OK city area and nobody is doing it. All I hear is "it used to be real big here, but not anymore"

I really could use some mentoring. I even posted a help wanted over in the Stunthanger forum and received no replies.

Something has to give..........

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:49 am

fredvon4 wrote:Found this web searching for Jeff Dawson who is reported to sell airplanes in RCG

http://flyinglines.org/BG.2012.html
Jeff makes and sells his Sonic Chicken in the $50 range if I've been given good info. Bare told me about it, so... well, if you know Bare...
I didn't see any of Jeff's prices listed, just his contact info.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:50 am

Fred:

If you haven't flown combat since the early seventies, you'll find combat planes are a whole lot quicker and more more manuverable than you might remember. lol!

I believe that you know the reason why. lol! Que up some "BeeGee's" and think about it.
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:29 pm

Jeff is a personal friend of mine. I can attest to the quality of his planes as I own many. Jeff and myself have worked together to have aluminum mounts made available for both 1/2A, speed limit, and fast mounts. I have many mounts and if anyone is interested in these please contact me. The 1/2A mounts to date, are designed for the Cyclon, Profi, Fora. I will have some available for Tee Dee's, VA's, Stels, AP's and Norvel engines. These are still being made. Phil Cartier has a terrific setup which is the Gotcha SL and it uses a LA.25 for power. I fly the plane with a Magnum.25 no intake, 52' lines and a 8x5 prop and it will go 105+ all day long. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:09 pm

Ron, The Tulsa Gluedobbers are a very active control line club in Tulsa Oklahoma. I've met several members at Brodak's and combat does exist in that neck of the woods. Something to look up that's for sure. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:06 pm

Ken you continue to surprise me at how imbedded you are into the control line hobby and sport. We are lucky to have you as a resource here at CEF. My planes are better with the help and pointers that you and our other valued members take the time to give me when I'm clueless. In the spirit of the holidays(and Jack Daniels), thanks for your freely given expertise.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:18 pm

Hello Rusty, I want to thank you for that compliment . I've met lots of people in this hobby. It really is quite amazing on how close knit we all are due to the small group we have. I think all of us this stuff is just fascinating and I never want that feeling to leave. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:50 pm

Here in the Northwest there's alot of combat. Some of the guys cut foam and sell it. You have to build them. Their not hard to put together. Go to flyinglines.org and then the combat page, lots of info there. And these guys love to help.
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:38 am

Foam models are certainly a different animal. They really take a beating, they're enjoyable to fly and I highly recommend them. They do require a different learning curve on how to build them. Many of the fellows from the northwest have given me advice and suggestions. I've since progressed into cutting my own foam which is really an experience all in itself. All of this requires practice and time. Time is something that not many of us have an abundance of. One thing I can say for certain is that I've seen beginner pilots go from hardly being able to fly a Ringmaster to flying a combat match. There really just isn't that much to break on a foam wing. On the other side, if two of them hit, carnage is a direct result and it can be pretty catastrophic. For those that indeed would like to try this aspect of the hobby, I have some pretty good advice. Rule:1, don't fall in love with your airplane. Rule:2 see rule number1. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:12 am

Ken:

I would also add "don't fall in love with your engine' because they are sometimes expensive casualties in hard crash.

Enjoy your Thanksgiving holiday with your family!
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:30 am

We have seen alot of foam turned to dust, but what away to go. Happy Thanksgiving to all.
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

I miss combat CL flying Empty Happy ThanksGiving

Post  fredvon4 Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:40 am

Thanks all for the responses

I have been carousing the various combat and C/L sites and club pages and am quite aware thak my heavy balsa, ply, silk n dope Mathis Mongooses with a enimic fox 35 or fairly hot enya 35 at 85 to 99mph are not competitive for compitition. For a brief period when I WAS competitive it was with a foam wing version of the Mongoose and Clearence Lee warmed up engine

That all said...as I watch this site and the learning curve I see some are having with the 1/2a C/L learning I am reminded of my first flight with a Fox 35 and ringmaster.....WOW why on earth did I have to smoke so many plastic Cox planes into the ground trying to do simple acrobat manuvers.

If I had it to relive I would probably start at .25 or .35 sized foam symetrical wings and 50 60 foot lines... the line tension, stability of the aircraft makes for every easy learning curve and so much more forgiving to a tad bit of wind

I wonder how many kids got a cox for Xmas or birthday, crashed, and moved on to some other hobby

Not to worry here on this forum are many of us older gents workig towards reliving the past fun and some seni younger trying for first time

I have a sneaky suspicion many of you were at flying field same time as me in the 60s and 70s....unfortunatly 30+ years of moving all over ther world and knowing literally thousands of people I can not drag any of your names into my memory from those days in the califorina bay area or western Washington

BlackHawk has a remake of the Mongoose I am going to build...I still have a few Enya 35s with all the venturi inserts
New stooge in works this winter and I plan to relearn on big plane and save the BFS, Skyray, Lil combats, and voodoo for when I think I can deal with their twitchy quirks

Texas actually has a large C/L and combat following just not here in my immediate area
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:22 am

fredvon4 wrote:
I have a sneaky suspicion many of you were at flying field same time as me in the 60s and 70s....

Or the 50's ............... Very Happy
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:16 pm

I am keenly aware there are several here who may well have been my mentors and inspiration

And it is heart warming to know many are still alive, willing, and able to continue helping us youngsters...grin
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down