Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Newly aquired Cox P-51 Cox_ba12

Newly aquired Cox P-51 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by MauricioB Today at 20:05

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by Admin Today at 19:54

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by roddie Today at 14:48

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by Admin Today at 10:31

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by GTO455 Today at 8:11

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 7:29

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 19:51

» EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 18:58

» I brake for Turtles....
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 18:38

» Ball - Socket Joints
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 15:06

» A little nostalgia…
by MauricioB Yesterday at 14:32

» A new useful transport vehicle
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 10:32

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Newly aquired Cox P-51 Empty
Live on Patrol

Newly aquired Cox P-51

Go down

Newly aquired Cox P-51 Empty Newly aquired Cox P-51

Post  bottomgun Wed 2 Jan 2013 - 1:20

Hello all. First time here. I aquired a used Cox P-51D made I would guess around the early 70's just recently in decent shape. I had a Cox Corsair around 1971 along with a PT-19. Definitely not $12.95 anymore. I got the Corsair because they didn't have the P-51 in stock which was my first choice at the Mom and Pop drugstore in Illinois where kids bought them locally. My question is that I'm just getting started again in collecting these particular aircraft and I would like to know what length dacron line was commonly used for this model. My recollection was around 25 feet, but I'm not sure. If (and that's IF) I get the gumption to fly it once or twice I want to make sure they're not too long. This model has the landing gear legs molded one piece into the wing so easy does it on landings, much like the Corsair.
My second question is, are there any repro peel-back sticker decals featuring the stars-and-bars for the wings and fuse and the red and white checkerboard strips along the inboard part of the wings? They're slightly damaged but it would be nice to have replacements. I've seen the repros for other aircraft but not this one.
bottomgun
bottomgun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Newly aquired Cox P-51 Empty Re: Newly aquired Cox P-51

Post  John Goddard Wed 2 Jan 2013 - 6:57

Hi BG
Welcome on board.
Once you get the bug two of the best places
For your 'fix' are
Matt at ex model engines
And
Bernie at Cox international
Both great guys, great customer service (remember that?)
And both on here.
Here's I think what you're looking for,-
http://www.exmodelengines.com/airplane-decals/

Very Happy
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ahrma_581 Wed 2 Jan 2013 - 12:30

bottomgun wrote: My second question is, are there any repro peel-back sticker decals featuring the stars-and-bars for the wings and fuse and the red and white checkerboard strips along the inboard part of the wings? They're slightly damaged but it would be nice to have replacements. I've seen the repros for other aircraft but not this one.

You might try http://callie-graphics.com/. They do custom stickers. Their off the shelf sets are for larger models (1/12 and up, it looks like), but they could probably shrink something down pretty easily.
ahrma_581
ahrma_581
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Wed 2 Jan 2013 - 13:13

hello, get on ebay and search Cox airplane decals, theres a guy that sells nice vinyl repro decals for your 'stang. if you don't see one listed, just email him.

Your D model with molded gear is kind of a rare model, only made for a couple years, '71-'72

Newly aquired Cox P-51 1972pa10
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed 2 Jan 2013 - 13:14

If you have a scan of the originals I can have them done for you relatively cheap. Shoot me a PM if interested

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  WingingIt74 Wed 2 Jan 2013 - 13:16

Wow... a Allied fighter without D-Day stripes lol!
WingingIt74
WingingIt74
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/wingingit74/

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed 2 Jan 2013 - 16:59

Hey bottomgun,

Welcome to the Forum!

It'd probably be a good idea to fly the Mustang on 25 feet of dacron. The P-51's gear is weak and easily damaged, while the Corsair's landing gear is shorter and stouter. The other difference that I think you'll find is that the Corsair has more wing and will glide a little better. My childhood P-51 seemed to plunge from the sky when the engine stopped, so I always tried to fly it very low toward the end of the run. It still flipped violently landing on grass when I couldn't get it around to the infield dirt, and I eventually cut the gear legs off smooth and had a friend hand-launch it.

While it definitely puts the plane at more risk, if you have some recent flying experience, you might consider finding some smooth blacktop to fly on. Any seams striking the plastic wheels will probably break away their plastic pegs, and smooth asphalt is easier on them.

I've got a P-51 ready to fly, along with several other RTF's and will eventually take a turn with the Mustang.

Good Luck !!! Kim
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Newly aquired Cox P-51 Empty Thanks for help and all replys gentlemen

Post  bottomgun Wed 2 Jan 2013 - 21:49

Hey everyone! Thanks for the quick replys and great info. I'll certainly check out the decals or PM Cribbs if I need to have them made up.Thanks. Didn't know these particular models were only made two years. I know that they did make them later with removable bolt on landing legs that had a little more detail to them, but by that time my attention was turning to other interests typical of a boy getting into his mid teens and I ceased doing these planes altogether from about 1973 when I first got my driver's license until up to this point. I think I gave away what I had to close friends, including my PT 19, Corsair, and a Topflite Formflite Zero and Carl Goldberg profile model of which I don't remember. I've been doing R/C on and off for the better part of 30 years now but all of a sudden I had the interest to go back to simpler times with 1/2A control line again. I had sticker shock as to what these original planes are going for, but if you gotta have it, you gotta have it! I bought a Babe Bee motor for cheap and ordered a rebuild kit and some other items from Cox International and other items from EX Models. Unbelievable to me what is still available for these motors. Just a little under 7 bucks to rebuild it. I wish all things were that simple. I'll build a 1/2A model so I won't have to risk it with the 51 if the flying site is less than ideal.
bottomgun
bottomgun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Wed 2 Jan 2013 - 22:05

yep, balsa flys better, but the plastic stuff gives us back our youth...speaking of which, i opened a tube of Ambroid tonight!!!!
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  bottomgun Thu 3 Jan 2013 - 2:05

I went onto EX Models standard non-Ebay site and you're right John and Mark, they have an exact duplicate replacement decal set for this plane. That helps a lot. Thanks. I was thinking back and my actual first Cox plane was a Stuka which I received on Christmas day 1969. My younger brother got his Dune Buggy that he wanted. My father started the motor in the garage in 25 degree weather at our place in Downer's Grove, Illinois and remember him lecturing me on what damage these little motors were capable of doing to someone if you weren't acting in a safe manner. Later in the spring of 1970 I severely damaged it on my first flight and never repaired it. I kept it for engine spare parts and got a PT 19 that summer to train on. Had to mow about 12 yards to get up the 13 bucks that it cost me lol.

Last edited by bottomgun on Mon 14 Jan 2013 - 21:21; edited 1 time in total
bottomgun
bottomgun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu 3 Jan 2013 - 2:26

"I kept it for engine spare parts and got a PT 19 that summer to train on. Had to mow about 12 yards to get up the 13 bucks that it cost me lol."

Man...a lot of us have walked THAT walk! I still get an occasional model airplane "memory spike" just driving by some of the yards I mowed in my hometown. I think maybe I "imprinted" myself with the intense daydreams of aviation glory as I made what seemed to be endless laps with that mower !!!

My P-51 is the "razor back" B model, and I'll have video of it on it's epic flight...when it happens...

I DO have Corsair and Stuka flights on You Tube under the name "wintersportster" if you think you might like to check them out. There's also an excellent (and painful!) tutorial video there, concerning the need to double-check you line connections before flying !

Kim
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  bottomgun Thu 3 Jan 2013 - 14:29

Thanks for the links. I did look at them. Against my better judgement (or maybe not) I just won a NIB Corsair on Ebay so the PT 19 I had lined up will have to wait. Like I stated before, I'll build a BH or Brodak model for my Babe Bee if I want a knock around plane. The wife's gonna kill me!
bottomgun
bottomgun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Thu 3 Jan 2013 - 14:57

...if she does tell her ok, maybe you'll start auto racing (1:1) instead for a hobby!
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  bottomgun Sun 6 Jan 2013 - 1:53

Actually, the PT-19 that I had lined up and thought I would let go after getting the Corsair, I got it. I put what I thought was a low ball max bid, then forgot about it thinking I would easily be outbid and still won it for forty-six dollars. It looks to be made in the 80's or early 90's. It's slightly used, with original box and all the hardware that came with it when new. It also has an original Cox 'D' battery case and glow clip which I've seen go for an average of fifteen dollars by themselves. My 19 from the early seventies had a Babe Bee, while this one has what looks to be a surestart type with a separate tank. No biggie, it's still a 19 that I can fly with no reservations. My wife knows there will be one box coming, now I have to explain the other two. Huh...
bottomgun
bottomgun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun 6 Jan 2013 - 10:29

"I put what I thought was a low ball max bid, then forgot about it thinking I would easily be outbid and still won it for forty-six dollars

My wife knows there will be one box coming, now I have to explain the other two."

And so...it begins....
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Sun 6 Jan 2013 - 12:23

Kim:

re: your wife and the packages

Here thieves follow delivery trucks around then snag the packages they deliver after the trucks depart.

If you fear confrontation with your wife this might be a solution. lol!
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Sun 6 Jan 2013 - 12:38

You need to order and snipe so much stuff she can't keep track anymore, then they give up.
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  bottomgun Sun 6 Jan 2013 - 16:15

I'll just let her buy stuff she wants lol. She really won't have too much of a problem with it. Now I seem to recall going into my LHS and seeing a used and neglected but complete P39 Aircobra that's been sitting forever...hmmmm Huh...
bottomgun
bottomgun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  John Goddard Sun 6 Jan 2013 - 16:49

crankbndr wrote:You need to order and snipe so much stuff she can't keep track anymore, then they give up.

You mean I've been wasting my time buying Red/white and blue one's Doug?
lol!
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  bottomgun Tue 8 Jan 2013 - 1:21

Got my P-51 and PT-19 in today. The Mustang is in real good condition. Minor surface blemishes that buffed out easily. I'll pull the motor out and tear it down for a cleaning and give the plastic a good detail cleaning and polish before adding decals. The main and tail wheels have absolutely no wear or scuffing typical of these plastic wheels which leads me to believe it was flown over grass or flown very little. Canopy is cherry and looks as if it never flipped over on asphalt or concrete. No scuffing on the undercowling or spinner. My question is that on the underside of the wing, it has the molded info as seen in three lines; AVION, P 51, made in USA, instead of "COX" I probably should research this more but wanted to see if anybody knows what that is all about?

My second question is that on the PT19, it has a snap starter assembly that is LH which is odd to me being that all my past planes have been RH using the spring starter, including my early 19 that I owned 42 years ago. This is my first exposure to the newer motors of the late 80's, and I am already not too much of a fan of the cam unit. Though I haven't cranked it over yet and it probably would work satisfactory, it looks to me like the cam would still rub against the spring when running and hinder performance. Was there a reason for the LH prop set-up on the newer ones and would it hurt any to put an older type spring starter for use with a RH prop? Not that I need to change, but it's just what I'm used to, and it may be easier to get RH props than LH ones.
bottomgun
bottomgun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  John Goddard Tue 8 Jan 2013 - 4:27

Not sure why it was Done BG.
The 1985 and 1986 I've got both have left handlers and I'm
Fairly sure the 1972 that got me started had one as well.
As for changing it why go to the trouble?
Very Happy
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Tue 8 Jan 2013 - 10:14

i've got a complete break down of the pt-19 and p-51 versions on my web site.
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  bottomgun Tue 8 Jan 2013 - 13:47

John Goddard wrote:Not sure why it was Done BG.
The 1985 and 1986 I've got both have left handlers and I'm
Fairly sure the 1972 that got me started had one as well.
As for changing it why go to the trouble?
Very Happy
Thinking about it and more than likely will leave it alone. Would like to get some spare 6x2 LH props for it, although it won't be flown often. It came that way in the box and it will stay that way and I figure if it flew before than the system is satisfactory. I must have been a small kid at 12 because I remember these as being much larger than they are. The original control line handles are a little snug fitting on my fingers as well which says something also.
bottomgun
bottomgun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Pitts5678 Fri 22 May 2015 - 16:53

Try seller 700x23c
On e-bay
Has a lot of decals for Cox P 51 plus others
Might have to wait for his post or contact him
Dennis