Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Another Baby Streak Cox_ba12

Another Baby Streak Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 12:27 pm

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Today at 11:51 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by roddie Today at 10:11 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Today at 8:14 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Today at 3:16 am

» Happy Anzac Day!
by Boats13 Yesterday at 11:03 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Yesterday at 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:12 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Another Baby Streak Empty
Live on Patrol

Another Baby Streak

Go down

Another Baby Streak Empty Another Baby Streak

Post  RknRusty Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:40 pm

I'm getting this Baby Flite Streak ready to fly.

Another Baby Streak Bfs_ii10

The previous owner doesn't remember what he coated it with, but it's obviously some sort of thin colorless fuelproof sealer. I want to add a fresh coat of something that will protect the wood beauty and add some resistance to fuel spills, plus be impervious to exhaust oil. I rummaged in the paint cabinet and here's what I came up with.
Another Baby Streak Sam_2111
The brush-on Polycrylic says it is resistant to alcohol and other household chemicals. I've seen this mentioned on the forums before, so here's what I'm thinking:

The minimal filets look like wood glue covered with whatever he sprayed or brushed on the rest of the plane, and there are some places near the LE where the edge has lifted up. I trimmed the loose parts with a razor and lightly sanded it, so it's ready to be re-coated. My usual MO is to thin 30 minute epoxy and slather it over the nose and areas than need fuel proofing. But that always leaves a slightly rippled finish that I paint over. I don't want to paint this with a color, so that's why I'm looking for another option.

I'll still use thin epoxy over the filets and inside the engine cutout, and on the underside where the bladder hangs, but for the rest of the wood I wanted to know if the Minwax is a good plan.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Another Baby Streak Empty Re: Another Baby Streak

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:50 pm

That Spar Urethane is some pretty tough stuff. The Polycrylic doesn't stand up to foot traffic, but may be fine on a plane. If I were you I would make up some test swatches and dump some fuel on it and see what stands up better.

I know I always say this........Top Flite clear... I run 25% all day long with spills here and there and it has never failed. It works and it's only $5-6 a can. I swear by it.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Another Baby Streak Empty re: paint

Post  happydad Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:09 pm

cribbs74 wrote:That Spar Urethane is some pretty tough stuff. The Polycrylic doesn't stand up to foot traffic, but may be fine on a plane. If I were you I would make up some test swatches and dump some fuel on it and see what stands up better.

I know I always say this........Top Flite clear... I run 25% all day long with spills here and there and it has never failed. It works and it's only $5-6 a can. I swear by it.

maybe i should have you send me some of the TF clear. it's about $7.88 here. it does work great though. lol!

happydad Small Cox Logo

RC Plane Futaba Radio RC Plane
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:10 pm

cribbs74 wrote:That Spar Urethane is some pretty tough stuff. The Polycrylic doesn't stand up to foot traffic, but may be fine on a plane. If I were you I would make up some test swatches and dump some fuel on it and see what stands up better.

I actually have the dregs of a can of Lustrekote(same as TF I think?). That's probably best for the nose. The Minwax might be good for the rear end.

This Streak looks almost exactly like the one I built, except the leadouts are farther forward. Mine was tail heavy and this one is nose heavy. Mine weighs noticeably more too, maybe because of my liberal paint job. I always over-do paint, looking for that mirror finish. Plus I have a fiberglass repair under the tail from the maiden flight, the only time it's ever hit the ground.

This pretty baby came with a Norvel .061 on it. My red white and blue lead sled moves at 60mph with the Tee Dee. This new one might be a rocket with a Big Mig. I may trade engines, but I hate to mess with my old one that flies so well. I'll decide after testing the new one out. It's too freakin cold to fly lately.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:31 pm

On my test board polycrylic is stripped by raw fuel, quite quickly (minutes), but seems to hold up fine if coated with rustoleum. I used polycrylic for grain filling on 2 models that have not yet flown. I did not test either with exhaust.

I recall reading about someone using denatured alcohol to remove the high spots from polycrylic instead of sanding, prior to moving on to rustoleum or similar. I have not tested this.

Interestingly rustoleum over Testor's Wood and Metal Cement is a coating failure. The rustoleum simply falls off the Testor's when exposed to raw fuel and exhaust. The Testor's is quite fuel proof since it is celluloid. The rustoleum may not adhere very well for the same reason, (or poor surface prep).

I may get some top flight clear for the motor mount area. I have never had problem with dope.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:59 pm

Got it. The Minwax goes back in the cabinet. I'm going with the Topflite Lustrekote clear. I saw it at my LHS last time I was there.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:07 pm

RknRusty wrote:Got it. The Minwax goes back in the cabinet. I'm going with the Topflite Lustrekote clear. I saw it at my LHS last time I was there.

You won't be sorry.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:33 pm

I have not had good luck with MinWax Polycrylic. Several years back I was searching for a product to stick .5 oz. fiberglass cloth to foam wings. I wanted to stiffen the wing a bit and harden it to cut down on dents and dings, but didn't want to invest the time or weight in epoxy. Some finishing epoxys will attack the foam.

Polycrylic is one of the WBPUs, can be brushed and drys lighter than it goes on --- it is foam friendly. I was satisfied with the finished product, but ......

I had another plane that I was finishing up at the time, so with a little polycrylic left in the cup, I finished off the exposed wood.

Flew the plane a few days later --- IT WAS A STICKY MESS. I might as well have used honey. I understand there is another brand of WBPU that does hold up; Behr I think is the name. I know it's available in Canada.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:25 am

I read in another thread that Behr did better than Minwax too. It may have been one of your old posts. Oh well, I'll stick with what I know. The Lustrekote is just heavy, but it's a really light plane so I guess I can afford the weight. I hope to have it ready next time I can get out to fly.

I'm curious to compare the two Streaks. I need to figure out how to fit an old Cox fine thread postage stamp NV in another Norvel so both can have the same type engine. The heavier engine will allow me to remove most of the nose weight from my old one. Or I could just use a wedge tank. Bah! I never have any luck with those.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:13 pm

I got'er done last night. I thinned some 30 minute epoxy thinner than I ever have before. It literally settled in the bottom of the container under a puddle of alcohol after mixing and I dipped the brush, dabbed it on a paper towel and painted. I painted the fillets and the gap between the fuse and wing covering, and the whole nose section. It went on and hardened like thin glass, beautiful. So I just have to mount the Norvel and balance it at the tail. It's nose heavy.

The camera doesn't do it justice. It really looks nice. I couldn't sand down to the pencil marks left by the builder. T/L on one side and T/R on the other.
Another Baby Streak Sam_2113

My plan to swap engines with my old streak went south when I found the Norvel won't fit in the cutout without me removing more wood and refinishing. Fugettaboutit. But it was a good chance to check for fuelproofing integrity. It had no problems there. So I decided to take the Tee Dee .051 apart and check the piston rod slop and the internals. Couldn't get the cylinder off, and the lead plug I hammered into the backplate cavity prevents removing it without a lot of trouble, so I said the hell with it and put it all back together. I really did want to put the Norvel on it, but it flies good the way it is anyway. So the Norvel goes on the new lighter one.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:56 pm

Note to self: use aluminum safe RTV to secure lead to back plate cavities of engines since I can learn from others.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:19 pm

I don't have a picture of the lead in the regular backplate, but here it is in the Li'l Satan's radial mount backplate. It was one of those square sticky-back weights. It doesn't need to be glued it's in there and it ain't going anywhere.

Another Baby Streak Lead_b10

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:38 pm

Rusty,

The mount only needs to be tapered a small amount for the NORVEL and the mounting screw holes are the same.

Thanks for the heads-up on the RTV.

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:14 pm

George, I know, but my reason is that I have sheet aluminum bearers epoxied between the engine and the wood that interfere with the crankcase. I decided I'd rather not tear it apart and re-do it while I'm in the midst of fixing up another plane. So it'll be something I can do after the other Streak is ready to grab and fly.

I've been tinkering with it for the past week getting it ready to fly this Saturday, weather permitting. I moved the engine mounting holes all the way back from the original position. I think they were originally moved forward to balance with no added weight. I added 1/16" aluminum bearers for the engine bolts on the inboard side of the fuse, and 1/32" bearers on the outboard side. They are epoxied on and will help keep the wood from compressing and also keep oil out.

You can see where I plugged the old front engine mounting holes. And also my newly added landing gear. It had none when I got it.
Another Baby Streak 01101310

This is the thin aluminum on this side. I had to cut a notch out to accommodate the starter spring. I almost didn't have enough room to clear the front screw hole.
Another Baby Streak 01101311

I mounted the engine and tried some lead on the inboard side of the engine cutout like I used on my other Streak, and a few grams balanced it. Then I realized if I put the muffler on the engine it balanced perfectly with no added weight. Voila, she's balanced. Although the muffler reduces power, the Big Mig has more thrust at full go than I need anyway with a featherweight plane like this. So even with the muffler I'll still be propping the power down with a 6" prop, at least for the maiden. I did that with the Refried bean and it flew great. A 5-1/2" prop made it too fast. That's the difference between 18kRPMs and 21.5k.

I never did do surgery to even out the elevator throw, but it has more Up than my other one and a little less Down. I'm hoping I find when I maiden, that it has just the right amount of Down but too much Up. Then all I need to do is solder a stop on the rod to limit the Up throw and that will be that.

Damn, I just reminded myself I need to add a guide eyelet because that's what the stop will hit. Plus, the rod is too long not to flex. Oh well. it's always something.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down