Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 11 Cox_ba12

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 11 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Today at 1:30 am

» Three (only one left) Cox .020 silencers for sale.
by 1/2A Nut Today at 1:00 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:20 am

» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:00 am

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -May 2024-
by layback209 Yesterday at 11:48 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by roddie Yesterday at 6:51 pm

» Post your Older ignition books
by lla Yesterday at 6:34 pm

» S1 Ringmaster
by Onelife Yesterday at 8:40 am

» O&R 23 & Brown Jr
by getback Yesterday at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by MauricioB Yesterday at 2:31 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:16 pm

» Hemostat clamp/smooth-jaws
by roddie Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:48 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 11 Empty
Live on Patrol

Automobiles you don't see everyday...

Page 11 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 11 Empty Re: Automobiles you don't see everyday...

Post  roddie Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:17 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:
pman1111 wrote:My guess is, it is a Dynamic 88?

Does look like the lettering on the side back matches D-Y-N-A-M-I-C. Found a convertible version:

https://classiccars.com/listings/view/695531/1960-oldsmobile-dynamic-88-for-sale-in-harpers-ferry-west-virginia-25425

Rather than opting for a full, historic renovation, the owner did several deviations with exhaust tips, chrome reverse rims, painted black trim instead of re-chroming, etc. Plus, it lacks the Oldsmobile letter across the trunk back. Would still be a nice show piece in the annual historic car shows here in town and neighboring.

Looks nice and the price is not bad, Smoking but adding a 4th vehicle in the kitty is a bit too much for me. lol!

You two nailed it! pman guessed the model.. but George planted the seed. The "Dynamic 88" was Oldsmobile's entry-level/full-size offering in 1960.

Look closely at the three photos that I posted... and take note that there are no door-handles.. and the bonnet/hood has a custom/raised center-section which is generally indicative of a high-rise intake manifold. Cool

This car is a sedan... (4-door) so each of the 4 doors would require their own electronic-latch to open them "from the outside" but likely; only the driver's-side door had the electronics.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 11 Empty Re: Automobiles you don't see everyday...

Post  rsv1cox Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:45 pm

The vanishing diversity of the 1950's.  Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Nash, Kaiser/Frasier, Willys, Crosley, DeSoto, Dodge and Plymouth as we once knew them and countless others.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:53 pm

rsv1cox wrote:The vanishing diversity of the 1950's.  Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Nash, Kaiser/Frasier, Willys, Crosley, DeSoto, Dodge and Plymouth as we once knew them and countless others.

Oh yea Robert. I know that you know very well!! Cool Thumbs Up

The Oldsmobile 88 WIKI
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:28 pm

Love those 455s. Had one that I wanted to put in a fiberglass 1932 Ford sedan street rod. Moved and sold them. Some pics of a few cars I made over the years if I did not show them here already. 1932 3 window coupe (little deuce coupe} 32 Austin Bantam. Had the mold and made a few.Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 11 32_nig10
Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 11 Bantam10
Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 11 32_sid10
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:08 am

Beautiful picture of the blue '32 - sunrise/sunset really sets it off.

Spinster sisters in my little home town of Raymond owned a Bantam. Drove it in town at least once a week to get an ice cream cone at Candyland. Even as a kid I wanted that car.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:10 am

roddie wrote:
rsv1cox wrote:The vanishing diversity of the 1950's.  Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Nash, Kaiser/Frasier, Willys, Crosley, DeSoto, Dodge and Plymouth as we once knew them and countless others.

Oh yea Robert. I know that you know very well!! Cool Thumbs Up

The Oldsmobile 88 WIKI

Even today roddie. When was the last time you saw a first generation Mazda RX-7 on the road.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:01 am

As always very cool to see another beautiful car being restored I don't know if this model really exists but it would be cool to find one to restore Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 11 Scree173
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:24 pm

davidll1984 wrote:As always very cool to see another beautiful car being restored I don't know if this model really exists but it would be cool to find one to restore Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 11 Scree173

Hey, I saw that car at the Melbourne International Motor Show.  I remember it vividly, and being a Toyota (which our family have driven since the mid 60s) I took a special interest in it.  The cool green colour really caught my attention.
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/remembering-the-72-toyota-rv-2-the-hip-wagon-camper-that-was-ahead-of-its-time-174576.html
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:01 pm

Looked like my 1995 Volvo 960.  A love/hate relationship.  Best car I ever bought, worst car I ever bought.  Purchased new I loved the car then within a year troubles arose.  First the air conditioner went out, then the battery (Son and wife taking it to Disney World),  then the brakes, then the motor mounts, then the suspension.  Most covered by warrentee.  

Then I got T boned right in the B pillar by a lady that had her turn signals on long before she intended to turn.  I thought she was turning into my road so i pulled out.  Big mistake and my fault.  I got the citation even though she had no registration or drivers license with her, and I explained the turn signal thing.  No mercy and I didn't deserve it either.  

Drove it home and to the auto body shop.  GEICO picked up most of the tab.  

I still love that car and continue to look for one.

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 11 Scan_169
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:11 am

It's not a real one but with this engine really starts to be more real Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 11 Img_2419
I'm working on this project and wanted to share with you telling me that others here would find it cool Very Happy
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 11 Empty 1965 MGB restoration

Post  roddie Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:34 pm

I'd mentioned previously here; that my uncle Vinny has a 1965 MG "B" that had been garaged since 1977 with 60K original mi. Well...... he finally started working on the little jewel, with the help/insistence of his GF "Sandy".. as well as the confines of the pandemic. The car wouldn't pass a MA State Inspection back in "77" because of worn front-end parts. It sat in his garage with a canvas over it for 45 years. There was a LOT to address with a resto. 1st was switching the Lucas elec. sys. from a + ground to a - ground. (done) He has an "alternator" on order, to replace the original generator, which will provide consistent amperage-output when the engine is at idle speed. This will improve headlamp brightness.. as well as other electrical functions when the engine is idling.

The engine's compression was "like new" but the valve-seals were shot. The new seals are superior to the old design.. but the valve-seats need to be "hard-faced" and re-ground for unleaded fuel operation.

Here's some pics from today.. The paint is original "Iris blue" which was offered from 1963-65.

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 11 1965_m10

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 11 1965_m12

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 11 1965_m11
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:53 pm

Roddie,

Pretty car!

While the hard-facing is a recommendation, it is really only needed for engines that get high rpms operations or have really aggressive cams.. If this is a "jaunt around town" car, I'd replace the valve guide seals with the head on the car. Then perform a valve adjustment and compression check, with a follow-up compression check shortly after 300-500 miles). Good compression twice in a row is time for celebration.
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:13 pm

"Powder" blue chrome bumper MGB, doesn't get much better in MG world. Beautiful car. I had a 1950 Plymouth convertible in that exact same color. Wish I had kept it and stuck it in a garage for 45 years.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:09 am

Had one of those around 72, knock off wires and all. Came with a brass hammer in the trunk. The hood latch had no safety catch so the hood could fly up. Running about 70 on an open road at night and the hood flew up and ripped off the hinges. It happened so fast it took a few seconds to realize what happened. Took me 30 minutes to find it in the weeds and shoved it behind the seats sticking up and drove into town. I went to the junk yard to get another and they had four or five that all had a crease where they had come loose and hit the windshield. Tell him to secure the hood somehow. I had two six volt batteries behind each seat under the floor and positive ground, go figure. I just hooked my radioes up backwards. Mine liked to blow head gaskets but was easy to fix those. It was a blast to drive and wish I had that one. when it rained I would hold the tonneau over my head, it zippered down the middle so you could cover half to cockpit. Never put the top up.
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:01 pm

crankbndr wrote:The hood latch had no safety catch so the hood could fly up. Running about 70 on an open road at night and the hood flew up and ripped off the hinges. It happened so fast it took a few seconds to realize what happened. Took me 30 minutes to find it in the weeds and shoved it behind the seats sticking up and drove into town. I went to the junk yard to get another and they had four or five that all had a crease where they had come loose and hit the windshield. Tell him to secure the hood somehow.
Ouch! Like you say, an aftermarket fix with some form of latch or retainer chain (yes, I know, violates OEM purity Doh! Laughing ) is a car saver.

Did Lucas Electric also make bonnet latches? Tired w/ Coffee Read Clean my glasses Popcorn lol!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:28 pm

Very Happy
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:05 pm

Does anyone have any information on this car? My brother found this photo somewhere.. and has tried extensively to identify it.. I traced it to an EU automotive Facebook page.. but there's no more info. on what it is. Looks a little like a circa 1950's Tatra.

TIA-Roddie

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 11 Tatra_10
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:02 am

Could it be a part of a 1/24 diorama. The font part might be Cadillac Eldorado or Chevrolet Impala?
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:28 am

A couple years ago maybe more, I happened on an auction site auctioning several hundred cars in a collection from a European eccentric wealthy person, who passed away and left a couple warehouses of now abandoned collector cars, abandoned for years. (Did I learn of this collection from a CEF post?) Shocked

I guess in his later years he couldn't keep them cleaned and repaired, didn't will them to anyone, discovered by happen chance by others. There were a few weird rear engine cars of European manufacture from the 1950's in the collection, similar to this one.

Overall, I did not know that such even existed. We were I guess, sheltered from seeing such, being across the pond here in US. They were never imported to US, as far as I know. (Parts would be hard to obtain for such an uncommon car here.) Doh!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:15 am

I don't know, but I'm in love. Make that 9,444!

Probably 1960's height of the Jet age styling rampage. Similiar. A 1963 Ford Thunderbird that my wife and I kept for a couple of days just like this one only a hardtop.

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 11 14181910

Funny story that I have told here before but worth re-telling.

Car salesman told us to keep it for a couple of days to see if we liked it. Sure........

Next morning my wife was taking the kids into daycare at the Jacksonville Florida Naval Air Station taking the Thunderbird, I took the old 1952 Chevy. It was at the height of the Cuban missile crisis and everything was locked down. Selective shake-downs at the gate. Naturally, the Thunderbird had no gate pass sticker yet they waved my wife right through. Beautiful woman driving a beautiful car. Same thing on the way out. Later we realized it and laughed about it. She dropped the T-Bird off later that morning. I still regrert not buying that car.

It always bothers me to see a car like that going to waste, rusting away. It's in me. Like beat up model engines, if I had the money and the storage space I would buy everyone that I could get my hands on.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:44 am

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 11 Tatra_11

Thanks Lieven, George and Robert.. I also saw the similarity to Cadillac when looking at the front roofline, windshield and vent-window.. (I loved the old vent-windows).. and the early 60's T-Bird tail-lamp bucket similarity that Robert pointed out.

I do vaguely remember the eccentric European collection that George mentions. I believe it's a real (full-scale) vehicle.. as opposed to a diorama.

See the front roofline/glass on this sweet 1954 Cadillac series 62 sedan..

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 11 Cadill13

Last edited by roddie on Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:05 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added 54 Cadillac photo)
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Davenz13 Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:12 pm

Oh I do love a mystery.  Huh...

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 11 Tatra_10

It doesn’t appear to have provision for a number plate which possibly indicates it could be a discarded or rejected concept or prototype design. It has some similarities to the Fiat Supersonic of the fifties
Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 11 1953_f10

which was used as a basis for the 54 DeSoto Adventurer II Concept car built for DeSoto by Ghia of Italy,

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 11 54_des10

both close but no cigar.  No  
The only other slight clue is the wrap around rear screen which was a style common with Chrysler cars of the fifties and sixties but it’s all just speculation on my part. I just hope somebody saved it and didn’t leave it rusting away.
Davenz13
Davenz13
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:30 pm

Beautiful cars Dave.

I remember in 1955 when all the new styles came out, a bunch of us kids got together and went to every new car showroom within 25 miles and ogled. Just look at the pictures above, today we have these styless lumps of sedans and SUV's that a safer but leave me cold. Mirrors of one another.

This is the Cadillac that I though roddie was refering to. Love that style.

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 11 Used-110
Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 11 48_cad10

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:46 pm

Roddie, my mind just clicked. That photo you show of the abandoned 1950's European fastback sedan with rear engine cooling grill was from that auction sale several years ago, pre-Covid. Most of the cars were inside warehouse like buildings, but a few were outside also. I don't remember exactly which EU nation it was. Think the guy passed away in the 1960's, property was hidden away until someone checked it out and found the stash, then reported it to the auhorities.

Wish I knew more.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:10 am

Quite a mystery!

To me it looked first like some kind of a turbine car concept, definitely American with a Ghia vibe. Something like this, but older:

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 11 Chrysler-turbine-car-banner

But then again, look at the doors. Front door is suspiciously small, and the rear door window… Well, how will the door open? The chrome fins near the center of the rear lid are not symmetrical, and something is off with the inboard side of the right ”jet exhaust” too. The front wheelwell looks like it’s completely empty.

Some kind of prop for a movie, or maybe even an AI creation?
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next