Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 10 Cox_ba12

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 10 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 8:12 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by roddie Today at 6:51 pm

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -May 2024-
by Admin Today at 6:46 pm

» Post your Older ignition books
by lla Today at 6:34 pm

» S1 Ringmaster
by Onelife Today at 8:40 am

» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by rsv1cox Today at 7:54 am

» O&R 23 & Brown Jr
by getback Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by MauricioB Today at 2:31 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Hemostat clamp/smooth-jaws
by roddie Yesterday at 3:48 pm

» Black Widow Run time
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:44 pm

» 1:64 scale Diecast (Hot Wheels)
by roddie Yesterday at 3:33 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 10 Empty
Live on Patrol

Automobiles you don't see everyday...

Page 10 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 10 Empty Re: Automobiles you don't see everyday...

Post  rsv1cox Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:59 am

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 10 Empty Re: Automobiles you don't see everyday...

Post  KariFS Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:57 am

Here’s something special, saw it in a car meet a couple of years ago in my hometown.

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 10 4c88c110

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 10 B8e08c10

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 10 5fa34810

It’s a sports model designed by VW in Brazil, for the South American market. Had to Google it Smile I think it’s pretty neat Cool
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:29 pm

It look like the Porsche 928 is it posibe ancester of the Porsche wit engine in the Front like the 924 944 928 model pas using same plateforme tink y read Somting on that one Huh...
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:45 pm

davidll1984 wrote:It look like the Porsche 928 is it posibe ancester of the Porsche wit engine in the Front like the 924 944 928 model pas using same plateforme tink y read Somting on that one Huh...

It reminds me of the 924 too David. I test drove one when they first came out but bought a new 1985 Maxda RX-7 GSL with the B engine instead.

Another wierdo a Czechoslovakian Tatra

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 10 Tatra-10
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:24 pm

The SP2 was based on the ”type 4” platform, the ”big” air cooled ones like 411. A colleague has a 928, fully restored, gloss black... not my favourite Porsche model but dang it sure is pretty in person!

I like Tatraplans too, air cooled V8 in the rear, must be ”interesting” to drive. I heard that Herr Doktor Porsche got some influence from them when designing his KdF-Wagen in 1930’s. It does look like a big Beetle with a fin Huh...

Here’s a Saab I had for many years but had to let go due to lack of space to keep it. It was parked in a small car museum for a few years but they changed the theme of their display to Eastern European vehicles  Shocked and the Saab, having its origins in an imperialistic monarchy, was parked outside  Sad Goodbye  Got frustrated, mostly at myself, for not having done anything to it during all these years. Would have been an easy project, I drove it most of the summer of ’97, it had some minor structural rust, brakes were gone etc but it was a pretty solid car. And such a beauty in all its quirkiness. Well, it’s in a much better home now, all fixed up, and with the money I got I bought a Harley Cool so it was a win-win-win for the car, myself and the new owner Smile

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 10 C11c1410

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 10 E77ffb10
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:08 pm

Hey Kari, I believe those old Saabs had V4 2-stroke engines?

Edit: correction..

Saab 2-stroke engine-WIKI

Last edited by roddie on Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correction)
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:12 pm

Oh Kari,  I wouldn't, couldn't let that Saab go.  But I did, only a Lotus Elan a special car that got let go for a common MGB.  Still kicking myself.  

Seeing any car leaving on a trailer since brings a tear to my eye.

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 10 Lotus_11
Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 10 Lotus_12
Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 10 Lotus_10

But, this one was coming

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 10 P4210013

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 10 P4210014

It wasn't the money. Like you storage.  I would have kept them all but I refuse to keep a car outside.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:45 pm

If we ever meet Bob I might kick you too! Damn!

What were you thinking! Very Happy
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:30 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:If we ever meet Bob I might kick you too! Damn!

Yeah, but did you see that 1949 Dodge?  Posted it just for you.  Check out the link too.  Bring a trailer one of my go to's.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:09 pm

rsv1cox wrote:
Cribbs74 wrote:If we ever meet Bob I might kick you too! Damn!

Yeah, but did you see that 1949 Dodge?  Posted it just for you.  Check out the link too.  Bring a trailer one of my go to's.

Bob

Thanks Bob! Yes I did see the pilot house, nice truck, I meant to post right away, but forgot.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:05 am

roddie wrote:Hey Kari, I believe those old Saabs had V4 2-stroke engines?

Edit: correction..

Saab 2-stroke engine-WIKI

Yes Roddie, the two-stroke is an inline-3. Originally mine had had a 750cc engine but it had been swapped to a newer ”big block” with a whopping 850cc (fifty-something CID) with 42 horsepower I think. It was a fun car, really good handling with modern front suspension, quick steering (a little over 2 turns from lock to lock), and just had to love the sound of the engine. Not very practical though, a bit too Slow for modern traffic and while I like to tinker with stuff, I prefer motorcycles, no rust to worry about and easier to store.

Saab’s first 4-strokes were acquired from Ford, they were 1.5 litre V4’s. The V4 was originally designed in USA for a new compact car concept, and it was actually the engine in Mustang concept car (a mid-engined show car before the more famous Mustang). Not a great engine as such, but it was compact, not a lot longer than the 2-stroke and fit in the engine comparment. The engine had a balance shaft, that turned the opposite direction than the crank, so it did not shake too bad. But that was the weak point of that engine. My first car was a Saab 96 V4, loved it but lost the battle with the rust worm Sad

Here’s a picture of almost an exact duplicate, same colour, same stripes, same year. My rally lights were bigger though Very Happy

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 10 617b9610

Bob, you got rid of an Elan Shocked One of my dream cars. As a kid I had a full-page picture of an Elan, cut from ”Classic&Thoroughbred” magazine on my wall. It was a British racing green racecar with cage and hardtop, minilite wheels... probably spent hours looking at the picture over the years. Another favourite picture was of a Porsche 356, also a racer, no bumpers, taped-over headlights, going what looked like a thousand miles an hour Cool
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:13 am

KariFS wrote:
roddie wrote:Hey Kari, I believe those old Saabs had V4 2-stroke engines?

Bob, you got rid of an Elan Shocked One of my dream cars. As a kid I had a full-page picture of an Elan, cut from ”Classic&Thoroughbred” magazine on my wall. It was a British racing green racecar with cage and hardtop, minilite wheels... probably spent hours looking at the picture over the years. Another favourite picture was of a Porsche 356, also a racer, no bumpers, taped-over headlights, going what looked like a thousand miles an hour Cool

Yes, Sad

Weak moment, wanted an MG to continue the saga.  Hard work was all done, mechanicals, brakes, engine.  All I had to do was put it together.  If I had broken my promise never to keep cars outside I would own it.  Four car was full and the two car yet to be built.

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 10 House_12
Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 10 House_14
Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 10 House_13

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 10 House_15
Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 10 Garage10

This little thing would run rings around the Elan but without the panache.  Check out that octagon window, MG's prevail. Sad

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 10 350z_011

Replacements.  Would two MGB's replace one Lotus..........in hind sight  - Nope!

But I enjoyed them...and others.

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 10 Mgb-le12

BTW Kari,  I love the safety strap on the Saab's "suicide" door.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:24 am

rsv1cox wrote: 

Another wierdo a Czechoslovakian Tatra

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 10 Tatra-10

wierdo?? only a modern car for 1936 that made all square-box-on-wheels cars obsolete. It's a T87 and not a Tatraplan. The T87 was lighter in appearance than the T77 that was unveiled in March 1934. The T600 or Tatraplan was the successor of the T87 in 1947.

In order of appearance:

T77:

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 10 Photo-10

T77a

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 10 T77a10

T87 prewar:

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 10 T87_pr10

T87 postwar:

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 10 T87_po10

T600 Tatraplan:

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 10 Tatrap10
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:49 am

Chrysler Airflow of about the same era.

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 10 1280px13

But it reminds me mostly of the Tucker.  Both ahead of their time.  

https://www.amazon.com/Tucker-Man-Dream-Jeff-Bridges/dp/B0036OUENA  (Trailer)

You can read about the Tatras here:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/car-profiles/three-oceans-two-tatras-one-trip-of-a-lifetime/?utm_source=SFMC&utm_medium=email&utm_content=21_January_16_Newsletter_Weekend

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 10 Tatra-11
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 10 Empty Dodge Power Wagon

Post  roddie Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:53 pm

My youngest brother "Jeff" has always owned some sort of vehicle that made a statement.. but his latest project; I am real enthusiastic about. He's restoring an early 1940's Dodge Power Wagon.

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 10 62735811

That photo was taken by the seller. I haven't seen the truck since my brother took possession of it..  My brother Jeff has always had an ”eye” for design..  whether “Stone-Mason” related (his trade..) or custom vehicles of some sort…….

Shout-out to Robert V.. My brother had Lotus's.. not an Elan.. but Lotus Esprit’s. The 1st had a 4cyl. Turbo-charged engine.. and the 2nd had a V8 twin-turbo. The latter was real fun... A rocket-ship maybe somewhat similar to your AMG experience.

Here's his Lotus Esprit V8

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 10 Lotus_10

Took it to Newport, RI one weekend.. and parked it at "Christy's" on the wharf. You probably know where Robert. Newport, RI is an awesome take... whether you were drawn to the Mansions.. or the sea-side life there.

Newport, RI

My family has lived within 60 miles from the U.S. East coast.. as the crow fly's.. Wareham, Onset, Buzzard's Bay... Bourne.. (mainland-side)...

Anybody know the town's names crossing the bridges.. and on "down-Cape"?
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:19 am

We never made it out to the Cape, much to my regret, but we did love Newport. Newport Creamery and all the attractions.  Looked at a new house in Newport proper, nice view over a landfill that was being covered over. We passed.  

Sure do like that Dodge.  Style just says POWER but I wonder if the engine backs that up?

Yes, AMG, we had some fun with that. Presently following the exact same car on BAT. Coupe version. Think very fast with luxury.

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 10 2005_m10
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:39 pm

rsv1cox wrote:

Sure do like that Dodge.  Style just says POWER but I wonder if the engine backs that up?

Hi Robert, Someone told my brother.. that the engines in these trucks (flat-head I6's) in battleground situations, would still run with bullet-holes in their blocks.

A good read;

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/1946-1968-dodge-power-wagon.htm
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:36 pm

Here's an article from my car insurer which many of you might find interesting.
https://www.shannons.com.au/club/news/retroautos/rear-engined-cars-not-boring/?cmpid=SHN:PI:NPS:EDM:20200801:2952

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 10 Empty Memory lane

Post  944_Jim Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:21 pm

Gents, you all mentioned "the Cape," and bridges. Do you mean Cap Cod, the Bourne Bridge, and the Sagamore bridge. If so, one of the towns on the cape side is Westport. For me that means the home from which I bought a small box of props in early January...still undelivered with last known location of Providence, RI.

During my time in the Massachusetts National Guard, our unit stood up shower tents for the Pan-Mass bicycle race ending in Provincetown, MA. We always spent the Friday night in the shower tents, which were set up near the finish line IN THE STREET! The cars would drive by all night long honking their horns as they drove by, separated by only a few feet and canvas away. I seem to remember the bicyclists would use the showers Saturday AM, and then we tore them down very quickly, stayed in hotel rooms for Saturday night, then made it back to Framingham a few hours away just before the typical Sunday PM release time.

Thanks for provoking the memories!

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:45 am

Oldenginerod wrote:Here's an article from my car insurer which many of you might find interesting.
https://www.shannons.com.au/club/news/retroautos/rear-engined-cars-not-boring/?cmpid=SHN:PI:NPS:EDM:20200801:2952

Rod.

Interesting Rod,

Started off with the Czech Tatra, my new point of interest automobile. My only rear engine car was my '63 VW Bug, still have fond memories of that. Always liked the Renault Dauphine, friend bought one and looked down on my '51 Studebaker until the Renault started breaking down and he couldn't find parts. He who laughs last, laughs best. Smile
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:13 am

Oldenginerod wrote:Here's an article from my car insurer which many of you might find interesting.

Rod.

Yes, great article.

In 1958 and later, the Atomium was a few times used as background for promotional pictures

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 10 Skoda_10

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 10 483b3810

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 10 Fa965f10
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:47 am

This car was in my neighborhood this past week. $15,000.00 would have bought it. I thought it was a 1960 Chevy.. but I was wrong. Shocked

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 10 20230415

The 1960 guess was correct though.. Any guesses on the make/model?

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 10 20230418

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 10 20230419
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:08 am

It is a 1960 Oldsmobile, possibly a 98. Back then, they had many variations on the same model (hardtop, exterior trim packages, etc.), so a little hard to nail down. (I am not a collector.) Appears to be their basic 4-door model body wise. Interesting that they painted the bumpers black. (Perhaps where he lives, it is very difficult to get these rechromed??

See:
https://classiccarsbay.com/for-sale-1960-oldsmobile-98-in-stanley-wisconsin-16429

GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pman1111 Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:38 am

My guess is, it is a Dynamic 88?
pman1111
pman1111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:33 am

pman1111 wrote:My guess is, it is a Dynamic 88?

Does look like the lettering on the side back matches D-Y-N-A-M-I-C. Found a convertible version:

https://classiccars.com/listings/view/695531/1960-oldsmobile-dynamic-88-for-sale-in-harpers-ferry-west-virginia-25425

Rather than opting for a full, historic renovation, the owner did several deviations with exhaust tips, chrome reverse rims, painted black trim instead of re-chroming, etc. Plus, it lacks the Oldsmobile letter across the trunk back. Would still be a nice show piece in the annual historic car shows here in town and neighboring.

Looks nice and the price is not bad, Smoking but adding a 4th vehicle in the kitty is a bit too much for me. lol!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next