Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Cleaning Plastic RTF Model Cox_ba12

Cleaning Plastic RTF Model Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 11:36 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by 1/2A Nut Today at 10:51 pm

» Tired of it all…
by 706jim Today at 10:03 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by 944_Jim Today at 8:58 pm

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by Kim Today at 7:41 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Today at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Cleaning Plastic RTF Model Empty
Live on Patrol

Cleaning Plastic RTF Model

Go down

Cleaning Plastic RTF Model Empty Cleaning Plastic RTF Model

Post  anm2 Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:05 am

I am looking for some advice on how to best clean an older Cox RTF Model (PT-19). It is covered in fuel residue. I think it will clean up nicely, however, I do not want to damage the plastic. I have searched the forum and found a few items on restoring plastic, but I don't think I need to take sandpaper to this airplane. I just need to remove fuel and dirt. Can anyone point me to a thread that has already discussed this, or does anyone have some good experience they can share. Thanks, Andy
anm2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Cleaning Plastic RTF Model Empty Re: Cleaning Plastic RTF Model

Post  pkrankow Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:39 am

Denatured alcohol on a rag or paper towel will take off dried oil. It might take a while to soak and soften. Wrap the plane in alcohol wet rag and put into a large plastic bag for a few hours/overnight if it really is caked on and dried.

Dish soap and water works well on fresh oil (you can mix up a spray bottle of about 1 tablespoon soap to 1 pint water, remember to rinse). Windex works too, but ammonia may etch some plastics.

Fresh fuel cuts through soft castor oil residues very quickly, but because fuel has castor oil in requires a cleanup after the cleanup.

If you regularly wipe a plane down with a cleanish rag or paper towel as soon as you are done for the day caked on buildup is reduced so more aggressive cleaning is not frequently required.

If you really have caked mud, then protect the engine and use a garden hose or remove the engine and soak in the kitchen sink with dish soap.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  anm2 Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:49 am

pkrankow wrote:Denatured alcohol on a rag or paper towel will take off dried oil.  It might take a while to soak and soften.  Wrap the plane in alcohol wet rag and put into a large plastic bag for a few hours/overnight if it really is caked on and dried.

Dish soap and water works well on fresh oil (you can mix up a spray bottle of about 1 tablespoon soap to 1 pint water, remember to rinse).  Windex works too, but ammonia may etch some plastics.

Fresh fuel cuts through soft castor oil residues very quickly, but because fuel has castor oil in requires a cleanup after the cleanup.

If you regularly wipe a plane down with a cleanish rag or paper towel as soon as you are done for the day caked on buildup is reduced so more aggressive cleaning is not frequently required.

If you really have caked mud, then protect the engine and use a garden hose or remove the engine and soak in the kitchen sink with dish soap.  

Phil
Thanks. This plane is probably 50+ years old. By the looks of it, it was flown and put away for many years. The engine was in excellent used condition, so I believe it didn't see that much run time. This model was probably flown a few times, and then put away dirty in an attic or garage. My biggest concern is not taking the decals off the plane. It is currently in original condition, and I want to keep it that way. I did not see any major crash damage, although there is minor plastic missing in a few places. It looks too good to ruin it by cleaning it improperly. I will try the least abrasive methods first. Thanks again. Andy
anm2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  WingingIt74 Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:11 am

Using glow fuel, surprisingly works really well. I'll use glow fuel on a q-tip for the tough spots and glow fuel on a paper fowl for the rest. Then I'll go back over with windex.
WingingIt74
WingingIt74
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/wingingit74/

Back to top Go down

Post  anm2 Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:38 pm

Before and after.  The plane is almost complete (it is missing a pilot) and has very minor damage to it. The worst part is a crack in the leading edge, but I did not see the crack until I started cleaning it, and it will not prevent this plane from flying again.

I am not sure what caused the blotch on the wing.  Any ideas on how to get it out?  I tried alcohol and soap and water.  

Cleaning Plastic RTF Model Dsc_1015
Cleaning Plastic RTF Model Dsc_1016
Cleaning Plastic RTF Model Dsc_1115
Cleaning Plastic RTF Model Dsc_1116
Cleaning Plastic RTF Model Dsc_1117

The photo below is of the engine.  It had a green hue to it before I cleaned it.  The inside of the backplate was virtually spotless.  Compression is excellent +.  

Cleaning Plastic RTF Model Dsc_1017
anm2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  WingingIt74 Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:37 pm

You'll need to scrub harder on the wings, they are suppose to be yellow lol! 
WingingIt74
WingingIt74
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/wingingit74/

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:23 pm

It is a oldie (c. '60-'64) first version used black spinner.

There's many ways to clean plastic, If its really bad, soaking it in brake fluid to using Windex type window cleaner and a stiff cheap toothbrush. Sometimes you need a polish such a Basso or a Plexiglas cleaner/scratch remover or rubbing compound. But try to limit it to damaged area, last thing you want is a overly polished plastic that no longer has that factory look. I like a clean dry teri cloth and some elbow grease to add a slight shine to old plastic.

Last edited by Mark Boesen on Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:30 am

If it's not TOO dirty a wipe down with Isopropal alchol works well too.

SD
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:20 am

Hi Andy, There's a cleaning "sponge" you can get in most stores called the "Magic Eraser" by Mr. Clean. This brand works better than other "imitators"...

It's one of those truly amazing products... I have used one to remove stains (permanent marker, food coloring... etc.) from our Formica kitchen counter-tops.

Whereas the wing is a solid molded color... it shouldn't hurt the finish. If it brings out a brighter blue... you could just clean the whole wing/stab. with it. Just be careful around the decals...

I really like that it has a Baby Bee... Mine is a much later version (mid 1990's) and has the Prod. engine with external tank and more common; yellow wing/blue fuse. I'm on my 2nd fuse... the 1st is pretty beaten-up! Both my pilots bailed out years ago... probably because of my flying!lol! 

Cleaning Plastic RTF Model Pt1910
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:51 am

I'm always leery of chemicals on these plastic planes. Not necessarily the immediate action, but longer term embrittlement. I never use anything strong on old plastic. Things suggested like brake cleaner, Brasso, or even Isopropyl are too harsh for me. They may work well for the others using them, and I don't knock it. But for me, I stick to the mild stuff. I bought one of the old white PT-19's from the early 80's last month, and it was pretty gooped up. The old fuel really shows up on the white fuselage and wing. I use Dawn dishwashing liquid a lot for cleaning up oily things. One of the most wonderful cleaning products ever invented. I just took a soft bristle toothbrush, some Dawn liquid, and spent about a half hour vigorously scrubbing. Almost all of the residue came off of the fuselage. The wing is a little dirtier, but it had a lot more scratches, and there were decals on the wing, so I didn't try that hard. I figure if the stains don't come off with Dawn, then they're hard earned battle scars. I'll post pics once I finally get around to charging the camera battery.
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:34 pm

Like I was saying there's many ways to clean old plastic, I've never seen a reaction to plastic using brake fluid or Brasso and many of my restored projects are 10-15 years old now.
Cleaning Plastic RTF Model 1-7-0610
Cleaning Plastic RTF Model 3-31-010
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  anm2 Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:53 pm

roddie wrote:Hi Andy, There's a cleaning "sponge" you can get in most stores called the "Magic Eraser" by Mr. Clean. This brand works better than other "imitators"...

It's one of those truly amazing products... I have used one to remove stains (permanent marker, food coloring... etc.) from our Formica kitchen counter-tops.

Whereas the wing is a solid molded color... it shouldn't hurt the finish. If it brings out a brighter blue... you could just clean the whole wing/stab. with it. Just be careful around the decals...

I really like that it has a Baby Bee... Mine is a much later version (mid 1990's) and has the Prod. engine with external tank and more common; yellow wing/blue fuse. I'm on my 2nd fuse... the 1st is pretty beaten-up! Both my pilots bailed out years ago... probably because of my flying!lol! 

Cleaning Plastic RTF Model Pt1910
I will try the Magic Eraser. I am very familiar with it and have used it for household cleaning. I like the Baby Bee too. This one is an excellent example of the early version, and cleaned up nicely. Thanks, Andy
anm2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down