Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Removing covering over covering or One bad bird! Cox_ba12

Removing covering over covering or One bad bird! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 10:23 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 10:12 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by rdw777 Today at 8:06 am

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by F4D Phantom II Yesterday at 7:00 pm

» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Yesterday at 5:51 pm

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:50 am

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 4:02 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Wed May 08, 2024 11:41 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Wed May 08, 2024 7:04 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by HalfaDave Wed May 08, 2024 6:55 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Wed May 08, 2024 1:30 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Wed May 08, 2024 8:21 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Removing covering over covering or One bad bird! Empty
Live on Patrol

Removing covering over covering or One bad bird!

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Removing covering over covering or One bad bird! Empty Removing covering over covering or One bad bird!

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:41 pm

The pirate theme is not my thing, I want to remove the skull and crossbones off of the wings without destroying the covering underneath. Anybody know of a successful technique?

Ron

Removing covering over covering or One bad bird! W8bdh8Fl

Last edited by Cribbs74 on Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Removing covering over covering or One bad bird! Empty Re: Removing covering over covering or One bad bird!

Post  pkrankow Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:15 pm

1: do you know what the covering product is?
2: do you have samples of this product to test with?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148519

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Removing covering over covering or One bad bird! Empty Re: Removing covering over covering or One bad bird!

Post  dckrsn Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:40 pm

dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:17 pm

...but I don't wanna be a pirate!!!!!

lol, classic!

Grab your monokote iron or a hairdryer and a tweezers, get decal warm and start in a corner get it warm to the point you can get the tweezers under decal, keep heat on and gently lift, easy peazy! and you too can be a pirate!!!!

Use acetone or lacquer thinner to clean up any adhesive residue.
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:41 pm

pkrankow wrote:1: do you know what the covering product is?
2: do you have samples of this product to test with?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148519

Phil

No and no, I assume monokote as it looks like the model has some age. It's an original FS.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:42 pm

Mark Boesen wrote:...but I don't wanna be a pirate!!!!!

lol, classic!

Grab your monokote iron or a hairdryer and a tweezers, get decal warm and start in a corner get it warm to the point you can get the tweezers under decal, keep heat on and gently lift, easy peazy! and you too can be a pirate!!!!

Use acetone or lacquer thinner to clean up any adhesive residue.

Thanks Mark, I'll give it a whirl. Sounds easy enough!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:44 pm

Bob, you hit the nail on the head! Of course I said it less whiney than Seinfeld.  Very Happy 
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:54 pm

It works Mark! A bit tedious, but it works. I have some work to do still.

Removing covering over covering or One bad bird! A9asdfol
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:07 am

Any tiny remaining bits can be picked up pretty easily with a q-tip and acetone. Or maybe even Windex or household ammonia if it's Monokote, since ammonia activates the M'kote adhesive.

Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:16 pm

It's nice when things go easily.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:54 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:The pirate theme is not my thing, I want to remove the skull and crossbones off of the wings without destroying the covering underneath. Anybody know of a successful technique?

Ron

Pirate theme?

That is the "Jolly Roger". It is a symbol uses by the Royal Navy and displayed when returning to port following a successful mission.

From World War II we have - HMS Utmost, the Frigate HMS Conn and HMS Storm

Removing covering over covering or One bad bird! Jolly10

More recently - the nuclear class submarine returning from sinking the Belgrano (formerly the USS Phoenix)

Removing covering over covering or One bad bird! Hmscon10
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:04 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:

Bob, you hit the nail on the head! Of course I said it less whiney than Seinfeld.  Very Happy 
Yeah, I was a litttle worried about the whiney-ness when I posted that Ron.  Paranoid 
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:42 pm

ian1954 wrote:
Cribbs74 wrote:The pirate theme is not my thing, I want to remove the skull and crossbones off of the wings without destroying the covering underneath. Anybody know of a successful technique?

Ron

Pirate theme?

That is the "Jolly Roger". It is a symbol uses by the Royal Navy and displayed when returning to port following a successful mission.

Ian,

Thanks for those pictures. You are correct in that it is used by returning naval folk however, the Jolly Roger has been in use much longer and is traditionally tied to pirate vessels.

Ron

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:44 pm

dckrsn wrote:
Cribbs74 wrote:

Yeah, I was a litttle worried about the whiney-ness when I posted that Ron.  Paranoid 
Bob

No worries Bob!!!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:18 am

Ok,

Thanks to Mark I am now rid of the Jolly Roger. I cleaned and tightened the covering and widened the opening between the bearers and mounted an early '63 or '64 Fox 36X straight plug on the nose.

Should make for a wild ride! The plane is totally utilitarian and sports no bells or whistles. I have never been keen on the Flite Streak styling even though they fly exceptionally well. It will make for a fun beater and sport flier.

Ron

Removing covering over covering or One bad bird! AZjFY6El

Removing covering over covering or One bad bird! DdN4uUUl
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:35 am

You're gonna love it. That Streak is a really snappy plane. Wayne flies a sharp pattern with his Top Flite Streak, but when he gets playful it will snap a corner so sharp, you'd swear you hear a sonic pop. I try to get him to go wild, but he's usually all business... so not like me. Otoh, that's probably why I've never seen him plow one into the dirt. He's flying it with an LA25.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:40 am

I just noticed yours looks like it has a doubler behind the wing. Is that a repair, or was it built that way? I think it's a great idea. Even if it breaks behind it, it will make for an easier repair. Might be worth adding to my planes in the future.

I like the plain wood finish. It would look sharp with a white or silver canopy and a Yellow tail like my BFS II has had. My son Al destroyed it Saturday.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:14 am

RknRusty wrote:
I like the plain wood finish. It would look sharp with a white or silver canopy and a Yellow tail like my BFS II has had. My son Al destroyed it Saturday.
Rusty, don't you know not to let the kids drive the nice vehicle? lol! 
Sorry to hear that, it sucks busting up a good airplane.

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:32 am

RknRusty wrote:I just noticed yours looks like it has a doubler behind the wing. Is that a repair, or was it built that way? I think it's a great idea. Even if it breaks behind it, it will make for an easier repair. Might be worth adding to my planes in the future.

No, it's just a camera trick. This thing looks to have been slapped together over a weekend. Probably to compete in a combat match is my guess.

No sanding and just a couple thick coats of dope to seal it up. Here is a picture of the fuse behind the wing.

Removing covering over covering or One bad bird! JJ4mQjdl

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:52 am

I see now. I was just seeing an illusion... or possibly a hallucination.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:05 pm

RknRusty wrote:I see now. I was just seeing an illusion... or possibly a hallucination.

Stop watching that Machine Gun video!!!!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:53 pm

I decided to fire off the .36X

It cranked pretty quickly except there is either crap in the tank or the NV is leaking too much.

It's powerful.

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:22 pm

Ron, I have to ask many questions as some of these are just hard to figure out from the video. I will say this, the tank is small and while it will  run on it, the engine is a thirsty one. Have you used this tank before? Also, have you air tested it?  The engine was really going overlean which sounded certainly like a air leak. The engine at about 54 seconds in the vid is roughly  how it should be running.  Did you install a new plug in the engine? While Thunderbolt R/C longs are my choice for stunt, not the best plug of choice here. It would work but would probably be short lived. I'm a big fan of the Mccoy MC-9 in my combat stuff. Although a cold plug, it works well with 10% nitro.  Also, if this engine had or has oil in it will certainly not run correctly at first. This is a standard procedure for me at least when dealing with ball bearing engines. I store with several drops of Marvel Mystery Oil after a day of flying. It doesn't exactly clear itself out for a few minutes unless I flood the engine with fuel and remove plug and dump it out. Is the spray bar orientated with the hole facing down? Do you have a small piece of tubing on the needle itself cut to size to snug up against the spraybar? I make several sizes and I cut these pieces by placing tubing on a dowel and chucking them in the drill press. I then go at the tubing squarely using a #11 blade. If the insert is loose, it could also cause some funny business. If running on suction, I seal the perimeter of the venturi insert in the case using Permatex rtv. I would also give your fuel just a squirt of Armor All. Have you flown this Streak and when you did where vibrations a issue?  What prop are you using? A 9x6- 9x7? Anything larger and the engine isn't going to be happy. I had some 8.5x6.5 Rev Up's and they worked well with these. I do like the old 8x8's but they do put a lot of load on the engine in the maneuvers. The 8x8's work well on wings. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:07 pm

Ken Cook wrote:Ron, I have to ask many questions as some of these are just hard to figure out from the video. I will say this, the tank is small and while it will  run on it, the engine is a thirsty one. Have you used this tank before? Also, have you air tested it?  The engine was really going overlean which sounded certainly like a air leak. The engine at about 54 seconds in the vid is roughly  how it should be running.  Did you install a new plug in the engine? While Thunderbolt R/C longs are my choice for stunt, not the best plug of choice here. It would work but would probably be short lived. I'm a big fan of the Mccoy MC-9 in my combat stuff. Although a cold plug, it works well with 10% nitro.  Also, if this engine had or has oil in it will certainly not run correctly at first. This is a standard procedure for me at least when dealing with ball bearing engines. I store with several drops of Marvel Mystery Oil after a day of flying. It doesn't exactly clear itself out for a few minutes unless I flood the engine with fuel and remove plug and dump it out. Is the spray bar orientated with the hole facing down? Do you have a small piece of tubing on the needle itself cut to size to snug up against the spraybar? I make several sizes and I cut these pieces by placing tubing on a dowel and chucking them in the drill press. I then go at the tubing squarely using a #11 blade. If the insert is loose, it could also cause some funny business. If running on suction, I seal the perimeter of the venturi insert in the case using Permatex rtv. I would also give your fuel just a squirt of Armor All. Have you flown this Streak and when you did where vibrations a issue?  What prop are you using? A 9x6- 9x7? Anything larger and the engine isn't going to be happy. I had some 8.5x6.5 Rev Up's and they worked well with these. I do like the old 8x8's but they do put a lot of load on the engine in the maneuvers. The 8x8's work well on wings. Ken

Ken,

The plug is whatever came in it. It does have an idle bar.

The tank is a 2oz perfect and is coming off. It was on the plane when I received it and is being used for testing purposes only.

I used a piece of tubing over the NV and even with that the needle is a sloppy fit. Thanks for letting me know the orientation of the hole. It only has one as opposed to the stunt .35 and it was pointing straight up when I received it. I didn't know where to put it so I oriented it toward the front. I will face it down and see how it goes.

Fuel is 10/29. It's what I use for break in seeing as it's akin to syrup. I figured it would be a safer bet just in case something wasn't right with the engine. I will go ahead and try some 25% Cox fuel and see how it goes.

Prop is a 9.5x6, again just being cautious. And I have not flown the Streak yet.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:22 pm

Ron, the 29% oil could be your problem here. You need fuel with your oil content and this engine is probably disliking it. 20% oil content is all that's required. Run some of your Powermaster 10-22 it will make it nice and happy. In fact, all that oil can instantly take out a plug . You want the hole at the same angle of the stack pointing towards the crank. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next