Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Mindset of forum members using/collecting Cox_ba12

Mindset of forum members using/collecting Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by MauricioB Today at 8:05 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by MauricioB Today at 7:39 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Today at 2:52 am

» WHO NEEDS TANKS!!!?? Perfect Brand Tanks For Sale
by DanMc Yesterday at 9:07 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by roddie Yesterday at 9:02 pm

» Piston to Cylinder - what's a good fit, what's bad?
by mike in SC Yesterday at 7:42 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:09 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Yesterday at 5:13 pm

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 2:51 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Yesterday at 2:07 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by cstatman Yesterday at 2:03 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by GTO455 Yesterday at 2:01 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Mindset of forum members using/collecting Empty
Live on Patrol

Mindset of forum members using/collecting

Go down

Mindset of forum members using/collecting Empty Mindset of forum members using/collecting

Post  Cribbs74 Sun May 25, 2014 11:12 pm

I am not sure if this has been done before, but Mark's post on the engine values thread got me to wondering why we do what we do. Here is my position...

I was going down the collector road myself when I realized that I couldn't afford it on a military pay check with 3 kids and a wife to care for.

So..... I switched gears and shopped wisely. I let collectors buy the nice ones and I am satisfied with the cast aways.

I do have some very nice and rare examples, but even they are not safe  lol! 

In the end I had to come to grips with my own mortality. I know that one day they will end up being tossed in a rubbish bin so I will enjoy mine until I either die or I am too old to flip a prop.

I have a biblical reason too.

Lastly, I have the utmost respect for both collectors and users. I just wondered why we do what we do. Feel free to share your story.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Mindset of forum members using/collecting Empty Mindset of forum members using/collecting

Post  rat9000 Sun May 25, 2014 11:51 pm

When I first started getting into this (not that long ago)I was hot for a .051TD,I ran the prices up to the 130 - 140 range,one of the members told me you wont notice the difference between an .049TD Vs. .051 TD, I picked up an 049TD for 32.00 and they were not sure if its a 049 or 051 it looks brand new.Ron I've also noticed prices have come down on .051 TDs.rat
rat9000
rat9000
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Mindset of forum members using/collecting Empty Re: Mindset of forum members using/collecting

Post  batjac Mon May 26, 2014 12:22 am

I'm not worried about collecting. There are lots of you guys out there doing your part collecting these, so there will always be engines preserved for the future. I'm just a broke factory worker. The only Cox items I've got that I think I'll leave in the box are a NIB PT-19 from '74, and a NIB TD .010 engine. And the .010 is up for debate. The PT-19 is just for nostalgia, as my mom took my brother and I out to a park when I was about five or six to teach us to fly C/L with one. I can still remember it clearly 45 years later. She passed away in January, so that's a little more incentive to leave it in the box.

Everything else I have is fair game. After all, Mr Cox designed these to fly, not collect dust.

The Broke Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Mindset of forum members using/collecting Empty Re: Mindset of forum members using/collecting

Post  Davenz13 Mon May 26, 2014 1:39 am

I suppose a lot will disagree but here’s my take on it. I guess I’m a scavenger/collector. I enjoy collecting but a big part of it comes from hunting out the parts to make it good again. I have (at present count) twenty one Cox aircraft engines but only four of them are new and that’s only because I managed to get them at the low end of the price scale. The rest I have enjoyed stripping, cleaning and then trolling eBay and the like for that part or parts to make it whole or good again. I enjoy the hunt for that elusive part, meeting people at swap meets, chasing up a name someone gave you. I’m not against using but some of the rare stuff I don’t as if I break it I may not be able to get the part to fix it again. I spent four years chasing up parts for a vintage flat track Harley and it’s now complete and I run it occasionally but I don’t take it out on the track in case I bust it. I have a Yamaha for that and I fall off that just fine.  Embarassed 

Mindset of forum members using/collecting Opps10
Davenz13
Davenz13
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Mon May 26, 2014 9:40 am

It is my opinion that collectors are motivated in different ways.

People collect stamps, coins and the strangest of things. It is a human trait.

Some are motivated in different ways. I know someone who collects "Spitfire". How better can I describe this - He has model aeroplanes (Plastic and wood) from all manufacturers (Airfix, Revel, Keil Kraft....). These can be ready made, kits. His collection ranges from tins of toffee (with Spitfires on them) through mugs, spoons, stamps, 8 Cox Spitfires, DC Spitfire engines (that is how I know him)through to real Spitfire memorabilia. Not to mention Spitfire flying videos, films with Spitfires in them, books ..............

It is the same with book collectors. Books about a period in history, particular authors ............

Stamp collectors - British stamps, Foreign Stamps, Victorian stamps ...........

One of my pals collects beer mats. (Well steals them from pubs!)

So I don't think engine collecting is strange but what I do find interesting is the choice of inclusions in the collection and what it is about that particular range of engines that attracts a collector.

Cox Engines, British Diesels, McCoy, Fox, engines 049 and under, all glow engines of 2.5cc, twin cylinder, radials, pre 1946, Russian Engines, Arne Hende, only NIB ........... Why choose?

ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Mon May 26, 2014 9:47 am

These NIB engines sat in the closet through the prime era of modeling, someone bought them for a project and never got to it (sound familiar).
For me collecting is a welcome distraction from the daily stressful issues I have to deal with, I wanted to start flying again after 50 years but gave up
because of no field close by and dizziness. It's nice to use this forum to share the engines, it is part of the Cox Engine COLLECTION Site.
I don't know why they catch a bid because Mr.Cox was a prolific engine builder, at any rate there are plenty of runners out there if that is what you choose.
When you croak your offspring will sell em anyway so they will be recycled. Will they still catch a bid in 100 years? Who knows what king of pussyfied
techno world will exist then, the EPA will have taken your fuel away by then. The government is calling all radio controlled models "drones" now and are looking to further
regulate. My Two Cents sunny sunny 
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Mon May 26, 2014 10:14 am

ian1954 wrote:It is my opinion that collectors are motivated in different ways.

People collect stamps, coins and the strangest of things. It is a human trait.

Some are motivated in different ways. I know someone who collects "Spitfire". How better can I describe this - He has model aeroplanes (Plastic and wood) from all manufacturers (Airfix, Revel, Keil Kraft....). These can be ready made, kits. His collection ranges from tins of toffee (with Spitfires on them) through mugs, spoons, stamps, 8 Cox Spitfires, DC Spitfire engines (that is how I know him)through to real Spitfire memorabilia. Not to mention Spitfire flying videos, films with Spitfires in them, books ..............

It is the same with book collectors. Books about a period in history, particular authors ............

Stamp collectors - British stamps, Foreign Stamps, Victorian stamps ...........

One of my pals collects beer mats. (Well steals them from pubs!)

So I don't think engine collecting is strange but what I do find interesting is the choice of inclusions in the collection and what it is about that particular range of engines that attracts a collector.

Cox Engines, British Diesels, McCoy, Fox, engines 049 and under, all glow engines of 2.5cc, twin cylinder, radials, pre 1946, Russian Engines, Arne Hende, only NIB ........... Why choose?

I enjoy all small IC engines but don't have the ways and means to collect all so have to limit mine to Cox. Thanks for sharing yours, that is quit the collection!
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon May 26, 2014 10:31 am

Thanks for the insight guys.

I have come across folks in their 80's when asked if they wish to sell say "I plan to get to that someday"

I have also seen people with terminal illnesses not sell or give away hard to find items. With no next of kin to take care of it.

Mind you I am talking about the automotive arena. Guys in the CL realm are overly generous!

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon May 26, 2014 11:37 am

Collector no pack Rat yes, (its not junk till I say so) , Helps take me back to a time when things were MUCH more simpler. When you had time to have more fun and ever day was not a chore , Being old sucks so far maybe one day it will be better Laughing For now it is a getaway from as much as I can..my  Two Cents  Flying  Biplane  Biplane  Babe Bee .049  Small Cox Logo Getback enjoys you all!!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon May 26, 2014 12:51 pm

batjac wrote:I'm not worried about collecting. There are lots of you guys out there doing your part collecting these, so there will always be engines preserved for the future.  I'm just a broke factory worker.  The only Cox items I've got that I think I'll leave in the box are a NIB PT-19 from '74, and a NIB TD .010 engine.  And the .010 is up for debate.  The PT-19 is just for nostalgia, as my mom took my brother and I out to a park when I was about five or six to teach us to fly C/L with one.  I can still remember it clearly 45 years later.  She passed away in January, so that's a little more incentive to leave it in the box.

Everything else I have is fair game.  After all, Mr Cox designed these to fly, not collect dust.

The Broke Mark

Mark's post here really sums it up for me. His "Mom" (God rest her soul) taught he and his Brother how to fly when they were very young boys. So sorry to hear of her passing Mark. I fit into the "factory worker" category; same as you.

My Grandfather (Mom's Father) gave me all his model airplane gear when I became interested in the hobby back in the early 90's. My Uncle (his Son) also gave me most of what he had back then. My Dad who flew with them back in the late 50's/early 60's; gave me what he had left of his gear about a month ago. The three of them flew control line Stunt together.

Although these things have HUGE sentimental value to me.. I feel that they are meant to be enjoyed in the capacity for which they were originally intended. A few of you CEF members have helped me to realize this as well. "Fire it up and fly it"!!!

If/when the day comes; when I can no longer fly control line.. or lack the reflexes/depth perception needed for flying RC.. I'll run my engines on a test stand.. or build tether-cars or model boats for them. I'll make/mix my own fuel if I have to!

A few of you have commented about "after we're gone"... Well; we're not gone yet, and while we're here; we might as well enjoy using what we have now.. because who knows what will happen to it when we're gone? Life is too short.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Mon May 26, 2014 4:10 pm

I'm not a collector but I have recently realized that I have about 100 engines in total... Affraid or WOW! 

I like to run and fly them, that's what they are made for!  RC Plane

I also like to take notes of their weight and performance;

Mindset of forum members using/collecting Weight10
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon May 26, 2014 10:28 pm

Wow!

Now that takes dedication Kris!

Looks like the Norvel wins the RPM game.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon May 26, 2014 10:58 pm

Yes, Kris, as one of our resident scientists I appreciate you compiling useful info like you do. Lots of good comparisons there. Thanks,
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Tue May 27, 2014 12:29 am

I have a couple of engines in my collection.
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Tue May 27, 2014 2:02 am

I once started the list to get a little better overview of engine weights and performance, it is also a little more tidy on a computer compared a castor soaked notebook...

The Norvel engines are indeed in a league of their own when it comes to power to weight ratio. Another interesting figure would be the fuel consumption, but I think the Norvels would lead that one too.  Very Happy 
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down