Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread Cox_ba12

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 9:18 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by 706jim Today at 6:44 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:56 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread Empty
Live on Patrol

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread

Page 1 of 11 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread Empty The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread

Post  batjac Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:29 pm

Okay, here’s the official International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day! thread.  The Rules are simple:

1) If you got it, fly it.
2) See Rule 1.

This thread is to post your Cox PT-19 flight reports.  Just let us know who you are, where you are, and how many flights you made.  It’s called the “Fly It If You Got It Day”, but flying will be targeted for both days of the weekend of Sept. 20th and 21st.  Since we’re really strict about reporting and documentation, you must promptly report your flights, promptly I say, between Sept. 20th and whenever you remember to tell us about it.  Pictures would be nice, and videos even nicer, but are not required.  The only requirement is that you have fun dusting off your old Cox PT-19 and flying it.  Extra points if you introduce the Cox PT-19 to someone who’s never seen or flown one before.

We’ll take all the reports and keep a running tally.  If this gets enough response, we can do it again next year with flyers, and a Facebook page, and even a cool logo.

The Tallying Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread Empty Re: The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread

Post  batjac Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:30 pm

Official Tally of Flights for the Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day:

Name                                           Location                              # Flights
Mark McRiley                                Portland, OR, USA             1
Rusty Knowlton                           Columbia, SC, USA             1
Al Knowlton                                 Columbia, SC, USA             1
Dan McEntee                                St. Louis, MO, USA             3
Ron Cribbs                                   St. Louis, MO, USA              2
Kim Stricker                                 St. Louis, MO, USA              2
Patrick Farrow                              St.Louis, MO, USA               2
Creston Moon                               St. Louis, MO, USA             1
Dave Indyke                                  Greenbelt, MD, USA           1

Larry Renger                                 Not stated                       1
Mike Jones                                    Not stated                       1
Bill Byles                                      Not stated                       1
Ron Duly                                      Not stated                       1
Howard Doering                            Not stated                       1
Chuck Rudner                               Not stated                       1
Rich Von Lopez                             Not stated                       1
Paul Wescott                                 Not stated                       1
Leanna Wescott                             Not stated                       1

Countries Represented:

Country                  # Flights
USA                               23

Last edited by batjac on Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:38 pm; edited 42 times in total
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread Empty Re: The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread

Post  batjac Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:31 pm

Well, my fears were realized.  It was way too windy to fly today.  I waited all day, hoping the winds would die down.  They calmed down a little, but still too windy to fly 1/2A.  Normally, on a day like today I’d say, “Nope. Discretion is the better part of valor.  No flying today”.  But, there was no way I wasn’t even going to make an attempt, so I did put ‘er up in the air for one flight.  I had to do quite a bit of dancing to keep her tight on the lines, as they kept going slack every time the plane flew upwind.  You notice that at about 30 seconds in on the video, my son got smart and backed up even further, “just in case”.  After getting down in one piece, I asked my son if he wanted to try a flight.  He declined for some reason.  Since the plane was still flyable, it seemed like I’d done my duty on ICPT19FIIYGI Day, and it was time to call it.  So:

Hi. My name is Mark McRiley.  On Sept. 20th I made one harrowing flight on my Cox PT-19 at the churchyard across the street from my house here in Portland, Oregon.  See the attached video.

The Indiscreet Mark

Last edited by batjac on Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Waffleman Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:44 pm

Shame on me. I don't have a PT-19 to fly. Of any kind, let alone cox...

But that won't stop me from getting in the spirit!

Who I am: James Stewart
Where I am: At home, on the computer
How many flights: I don't know yet: I'm still flying!

My Realflight RC flight simulator lets you download user-generated models from the internet that you can fly. You can also mess with settings such as the powerplant and the control throws.
I found an Eflite PT-19 on the Internet to download. I changed the settings so it was powered by a Norvel .061, the smallest engine available on the sim. Not a cox, but it will have to do.
Then I flew it some. Very Happy

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread Screen11
Ready for flight!

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread Screen12
Takeoff run

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread Screen13
Level flight

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread Screen14
Mid-roll

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread Screen15
Mid loop

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread Screen16
Deadstick!

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread Screen17
Successful landing.

Sorry I couldn't fly the real thing...  Sad
Waffleman
Waffleman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:06 pm

We flew ours. I'll file a report tomorrow with two redonkulous videos.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:40 pm

Kim, myself, Moon, Patrick and Dan McEntee flew PT-19's all afternoon in St Louis. I'll let Kim do the writeup and post video. It was a riot.

I had never flown a PT-19 and it shows. I am used to responsive planes and the little PT gave me a an old fashioned spanking for the first few laps. I nearly wrecked Kim's pretty QZ, but managed to recover. It was pretty funny, the video should show the antics.

I have a video of Kim's looping PT that self destructed in the air. It was fun!

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  DanMc Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:46 am

Hey Ron; Wish I had more time to spend over there. Not enough man power to run the contest. I just got finished getting the Stuka to run. Had to change out the back plate. I was still getting the same thing at home that we had at the field. Then I thought that the needle valve sure did turn pretty easy. Dug out another red back plate, and that needle was much stiffer. That means that that black tube the needle goes in was sealing better. I had already tried to use a piece of fuel tubing to do the same thing with no luck. Changed out the back plate, and had it running in three flips. Got a good strong tank full run in my garage. Hope it didn't bother the neighbors! Will try again to get a flight in the morning before the wind comes up. If I don't see you, have a good trip back home and had a great time flying and shooting the bull with you.
Type at you later,
Dan McEntee
DanMc
DanMc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:32 pm

What A HOOT !!!

ICPT19FIIYGI Day
was a Big Time !!!

This is my report of the flights as I saw them...the participants are welcome to correct this if they see an error.  Gonna post a few photos, but will have another post once the videos and other photos get sorted.

As usual, my ratio of "Things-I-Want-To-Do" vrs "Things-I-Got-Energy-To-Do" was a little off balance, and I was pretty much shot at the end of our great day in Buder Park.  I ended up butt-dragging back home, booted Patrick at his house and collapsed back on the hill without making the other rounds I had imagined.

The Tally, as I saw it was:

Dan..................3 Flights----with one extended run that should count as at least 1.5 as his PT's engine droned ('Dromed'?) on forever.

Ron...................2 Flights
Moonie...............1 Flight
Patrick................2 Flights
Kim....................2 Flights

We DID have us a Big Time, with very little carnage, despite some major thrills!

Our Excellent Host and ICPT19FIIYGI Participant:  Mr. Dan

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread 24_12

"The Players":

Ron, Moonie, Kim, and Patrick

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread 0_111

I would also ask that my Uncle Wayne have an Honorary Inclusion (photo-wise), as he provided me with the start for all this great stuff!

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread 14_111

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread 1_55

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread 21_13

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread 0_310

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread 28_11

And well...Dan wasn't gonna be happy just to FLY the little PT...

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread 5_36

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Until I get some of the video crunched, perhaps a self-explaining slide-show might provide some 'feel' for the event!

Please note the "Retro Cool" Dacron Flying Lines:

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread 0_18

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread 15_010

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread 0_410

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread 0_610

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread 0_710

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread 0_810

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread 0_910

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread 2_67

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread 13_17

Dan's somewhat recalcitrant Stuka refused to fly with the lowly trainers...perhaps preferring it's OWN designated day of glory !!!

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread 17_14

More to follow.....
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread Empty Now to Kent Brockman reporting from Houston....

Post  flyjsh Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:58 pm

"This is Kent Brockman with Goggles Flyzano, pilot for the FlyJSH PT-19 tem, reporting from Houston."

Kent:  Goggles, how do you feel about your performance at this inaugural ICPT19FIIYGI Day?

Goggles:  Well, Kent, Unfortunately out performance this weekend was not quite what we had hoped for.  Last week, we had the old girl running well.  We must have run 15 or 20 tanks through her and by the end she was singing and starting first flip.  Yesterday we were quite confident, but had fuel flow issues and were never able to get in the air.  But the crew stayed up all night and tore the engine down, found a bad reed, and got it back together for today.

We came out today got her fired up, got 3 flights in.  We were just beginning to think we were dialing her in, when the fuel issued returned.  The boys were about to dig into the reed again, but found a broken needle, and that put us out for the day.  

Kent:  How does it feel to be back into the cockpit after so many years?

Goggles:  Oh, it feels great!  You know, when Fly called me saying he had a plane and needed a pilot, would I like to fly?  I about blew out his ear drum when I yelled 'yes".

Kent:  This is a new team...

Goggles:  Yes, brand new team, a priveteer team.  The plane was pulled out of the desert and needed a good bit of love to get flying again.  We've got some great youngsters in the crew... smart, eager youngsters.... well, young compared to me, they did a heck of a job bringing her back to life.  But as a privateer, we weren't expecting to win, but our times during practice were raising some eyebrows.   But most important, we had fun, this is a fantastic event, the crowds have been great.  I'm just honored that I got to participate.  And I hope this is just the first of many PT days.

Kent:  What do you do now?

Goggles:  So, now I am going to buy the crew some sodas and popcorn and watch all other fellas flying.  We're going to relax and have some fun... and then tomorrow we dig into that engine, and get the old girl back in the air.

Kent:  Thanks Goggles.  (to the camera) With only three flights, it wasn't quite the performance the FlyJSH team had hoped for. Still, they enjoyed the event. From Houston, this is Kent Brockman reporting.
flyjsh
flyjsh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:20 pm

Well I had a had enough for today day as my build went well the WIND Devil Was up over 10 and burst to go with it so I just finished what I could with sanding / primer /dopen/ sanding thought the wind would let up but not till too late SORRY !! Kim Next time I am in ........The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread Wp_20131
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:38 pm

Geez Louise Eric. That is a thing of beauty!
I always wanted to try a rolled fuselage, and
it looks like you aced it. Well done.  cheers
Looking forward to the flight report.
Kudos,
  Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:02 pm

My Official Tally of Flights for Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day:   

Rusty Knowlton            Columbia, SC, USA             1 Flight
Al Knowlton                  Columbia, SC, USA            1 Flight
And Holley flew the camera

I spent last week tinkering with the old PT, patching cracks with fiber packing tape, sealed with fingernail clear. Bent new stronger LG and added some light bigger Dubro tires for the grass field. The new engine ran okay but had a minor problem of drinking its own exhaust oil dribbling down the choke snorkel. I think that's what caused it to sag on and off. We had some tricky turbulence through the trees and off the roof of the church, but nothing a little 1/2A ballet couldn't handle. I took the first flight and even managed a rolling landing... sort of. It didn't flip. Al took the handle next for an exciting roller coaster, cut a few weeds and kept it in the air. Until he got bored with circles and pulled a Yank n' Hope loop. I thought he was going to pull it out at the last nanosecond, but noooooot quite! That unfortunately limited our official flights to two, as the little half-barrel hinge guide molded onto the rudder broke and was too greasy to glue at the field. We took it home and fixed it, but never made it back to the field.

We did, however get a video of each of our flights. Here they are:

The top one won't go fullscreen. You can click the Youtube logo to see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Weeqc35nZc8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RPSP0IaBgg

Last edited by RknRusty on Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added Tube links)

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:08 pm

DanMc wrote:  Hey Ron;  Wish I had more time to spend over there. Not enough man power to run the contest. I just got finished getting the Stuka to run. Had to change out the back plate. I was still getting the same thing at home that we had at the field. Then I thought that the needle valve sure did turn pretty easy. Dug out another red back plate, and that needle was much stiffer. That means that that black tube the needle goes in was sealing better. I had already tried to use a piece of fuel tubing to do the same thing with no luck. Changed out the back plate, and had it running in three flips. Got a good strong tank full run in my garage. Hope it didn't bother the neighbors! Will try again to get a flight in the morning before the wind comes up. If I don't see you, have a good trip back home and had a great time flying and shooting the bull with you.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

Me too Dan!

Glad to hear you got it sorted. I hope you were able to get a flight off. If you have some time post an intro in the introduction section. There are folks here that would love to hear about your Cox experience.

Welcome to the forum!

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:15 pm

Good stuff Rusty!!!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:23 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:
DanMc wrote:  Hey Ron;  Wish I had more time to spend over there. Not enough man power to run the contest. I just got finished getting the Stuka to run. Had to change out the back plate. I was still getting the same thing at home that we had at the field. Then I thought that the needle valve sure did turn pretty easy. Dug out another red back plate, and that needle was much stiffer. That means that that black tube the needle goes in was sealing better. I had already tried to use a piece of fuel tubing to do the same thing with no luck. Changed out the back plate, and had it running in three flips. Got a good strong tank full run in my garage. Hope it didn't bother the neighbors! Will try again to get a flight in the morning before the wind comes up. If I don't see you, have a good trip back home and had a great time flying and shooting the bull with you.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

Me too Dan!

Glad to hear you got it sorted. I hope you were able to get a flight off. If you have some time post an intro in the introduction section. There are folks here that would love to hear about your Cox experience.

Welcome to the forum!

Ron

TRUE THAT !!!

Thanks for the great fun guys !!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Theo Kleynhans Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:07 am

Hi Guys

Great to see all of you had some awesome fun. Throughout the week I ran my PT19 engine and tested everything.
I could unfortunately not get mine in the air. The wind was howling both days and I could not fly 1/2A.

A bad bad weekend!!

Theo
Theo Kleynhans
Theo Kleynhans
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:01 am

Yea... Embarassed  I had the best of intensions.. but a major outdoor painting project that we've been putting off prevailed.. That took all day on Saturday.. along with helping my wife supervise her Mom; who's in the early stages of Alzheimer's desease. Sunday.. the weather was "iffy" (showers early, overcast and breezy).. and I had to transplant a BUNCH of perennials that my dad gave me last Monday.. (Japanese Iris; white and purple varieties, Hosta.. and some Pachysandra-ground cover) Will Roddie ever fly a model airplane again? Rolling Eyes
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:47 am

Sure you will...you just got big things going on right now.  I figure we got to do this again, what with all the fun reading about the guys' adventures with this little chunk of plastic !!!!

Hope you get some reprieve time...sounds like your plate is pretty full.   Positive Vibes your way dude.

Last edited by Kim on Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:33 am

Am I the only one who can't see the videos?? Eric
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:19 am

getback wrote:Am I the only one who can't see the videos?? Eric

I got Rusty's and Mark's videos going OK..are they not playing for you or not visible in their posts?
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:17 am

I bet Theo can't see them either. I'll edit and put straight links up too.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:21 pm

Thanks ! Rusty Looked like you did pretty good for a beginner lol! Al was doing some serious roller coastering Laughing Good Times ! Good Times ! ERic Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:06 pm

getback wrote:Am I the only one who can't see the videos?? Eric

Links to videos:

Mark's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5Ixj3GaTXo

Rusty's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Weeqc35nZc8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RPSP0IaBgg

The Relay Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:18 pm

Kim has video yet to crunch, but I am too eager so I am going to post the one of him and his self destructing PT. Stupid me was taken off guard and I moved the camera away to see with my own two eyes.

You'll get the idea though. Somehow the engine mount came free from the fuse. Maybe the band came off? I don't know. Anyway here is the video. Enjoy.

Ron

https://www.youtube.com/v=0TctTM5IxMM

Last edited by Cribbs74 on Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:20 pm

Okay, I admit that I'm lousy with names. I kinda know Kim's last name, but would get it wrong if I typed it out. Could i get last names for Kim, Patrick, and Moon?

Thanks,
The Louse Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 11 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next