Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Wen Mac MkII 049 - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Wen Mac MkII 049 - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 9:03 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:26 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by MauricioB Yesterday at 3:43 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 12:27 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:14 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:06 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Wen Mac MkII 049 - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Wen Mac MkII 049

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Wen Mac MkII 049 - Page 2 Empty Re: Wen Mac MkII 049

Post  rsv1cox Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:11 pm

Mark Boesen wrote:
gossie wrote:If anybody here knows wenmacbill on NFFS site he can tell you ALL the history of the engines including the various colors etc.

If you're referring to Bill Schmidt from Kansas, l've known Bill for a while and learned a lot from him, he's a good guy and I'm sure he'd tell you red was the only color Wen-Mac ever used.
I'm also fortunate to have known Guy Eves aka "Mr. Wen-Mac" I still have Guy's Wen-Mac engine collection as well as parts and info he compiled over the years, some are posted on my 049 Collectors site.

P.S. If you've ever seen Bill's purple headed Wen-Macs, I did those for him.

Well, we are in the presence of greatness here. Smile.....Do you have a link to your collectors site?

I am about to get a bit smarter on Wen Mac .049's. I "won" an ebay auction for a bunch of Wen Mac parts engines. From someone's junk box to mine I call it. Not too much money involved and probably worth it. Looks like at least two complete engines and a dozen parts engines.

There are a couple there that look like my pull-string start engine. I want ot play with them before trying to "fix" mine.

If I understand the instructions correctly, you insert this "crank" to wind the spring then restring it through the brass eyelet onto the winder then release.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:14 pm

Mark, It took me a minute to realize that the bent music wire in your photo was the actual crank. Is one end flat?
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:04 pm

No, its just wire, I think a large paper clip might even work, dimensions are not critical.

I don't know about greatness, maybe nuttiness, in the years past I was almost obsessed with 1/2a engine collecting, MECA member, swap meets, etc., etc. and had been fortunate to have got to know some older engine guys, compiling a bunch of info along the way, also dabbled into plastic ready-to-fly planes.
I try to share that info in the hopes that others will know more about these cool toys from 1/2 a century ago.
When I started the site 12 years ago, yahoo was pretty good choice, it's kind of hard to navigate now, but once you figure it out, it's not so bad.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:02 am

rvs1Cox. (Sorry, I don't know your first name Embarassed ).  
If you check this picture of George's engine it appears there is no slot across the top of the starter like yours.  
gcb wrote:This is my only Wen Mac. It came in an Aeromite I bought at a yard sale.

George

Wen Mac MkII 049 - Page 2 Img_0110
Checking out the notes on the MkII model 2 that I attached previously, "The starter housing was not slot cut as in MKII model 3 to come".  That would probably confirm that George's is a model 2 and yours is a model 3, along with the fact that yours has the hole for the rewind crank tool.  Then again, according to the notes, this model could have either a cord slot or no slot in the starter housing, changing mid-production.  The way Wen Mac did things, it's a wonder they didn't identify it as a differnt model.  Because of the massive number of variations in these engines it's really hard to get a completely accurate picture.  Definitely 1956 if the notes are correct.  Model 4 in late 1956 had the angled NVA rather than straight across

Certainly check out the 049 Collectors group.  Mark has amassed an incredible amount of information and pictures- his collection must be enormous.
I know that, even though this is a Cox engines forum, a heap of stuff unrelated to Cox engines gets discussed.  I initially joined the 049 group because I collect anything & everything in relation to model engines, not just .049s and not just Coxs, although they both make up a huge part of my collection.  I suspect there are a lot of members over there who don't join in here because their interest is not specifically Cox based.  I have gained so much knowledge by being involved in both groups & now I'm glad to be able to pass that on to others.  
cheers

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:25 am

Yes, Rod, my powers of observation have evidently been greatly diminished. Sad

It's not that I missed the opening, I just had it hidden on the other side of the picture... I agree, mine must be a model 3. It's amazing that they made so many different models. Different applications I would think. Airplanes, cars, stand alones, and maybe even boat engines?

I would like to pull that whole rewind mechanism off, but I would think that it's pressed on for a tight fit and I don't want to damage it.

I did join Yahoo but couldn't get past the code to enter Marks site. I have seen many different variations of entry codes but that one sure defeated me.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:35 am

yep, welcome to yahoo...like I was saying 12 years ago it wasn't bad for what was out there, now 4000+ pictures later what can you do.
Most of the photos are swiped from eBay, I've sold off a lot of stuff, my plastic collection is down to 30-35.

Wen-Macs are neat to collect as you can get them for almost nothing, I also like the Comet engines (Fox and O.K. Cub) Cubs. There's surprisingly a huge selection of different makes, models and variations manufactured from the early fifties to early sixties.

Bob, try it again, i'll keep an eye out. I have it set up so you need to request permission to join to keep out spammers, a problem with yahoo.
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:52 am

I have it now, the drive shaft acts as a pivot to wind the spring. I'm one of those - If all else fails, read the instructions guy.

Wen Mac MkII 049 - Page 2 Wenenf001_zps284a0887

That incandescent lamp that used to burn brightly in my brain has been replaced by one of those government mandated dim and slow to warm halogen jobs.  

But, the spring is not winding no matter how many times that I turn the crank.  The ratcheting sound I hear must be the broken end of the spring rotating.  Oh well, I can probably still start it, but I’m sure it will become just a display model.  No matter, I have more coming.  

I will keep trying Mark, sometime I will get all three apples to show in the window.  Jackpot!!!!
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:15 pm

Well shoot I was digging and I've got a MK11 with castor lock  Wen Mac MkII 049 - Page 2 Queen_13   Wen Mac MkII 049 - Page 2 Queen_14 no pull start though Thumbs Up also a MK!!! that's been put through the wringer I guess somebody really wanted that starter off of it !! Wen Mac MkII 049 - Page 2 Queen_15 Wen Mac MkII 049 - Page 2 Queen_16 Bob if you talk real nice to Mark he mite repair that starter for you ?? bounce Eric Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:22 pm

Bob if you talk real nice to Mark he mite repair that starter for you ??  Eric

I don't know Eric, depends on how much hair Mark has. I'm pulling out mine with this pull-string setup and I don't have that much to spare. Laughing

It's amazing how much stuff that we squirrel away.......

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:12 pm

rsv1cox wrote:
Looks like mine George.  Does the pull string starter work?  

No. The string was missing when I got it.

Back in the fifties I had a Wen Mac boat that had a string starter but you wound the string around the flywheel and pulled. Very awkward but worked.

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:42 am

For any of you interested, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wen-Mac-K-11-Vintage-model-Airplane-motor-with-wooden-prop-/221587823206?ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:AU:1120
After all our research it looks like a MkII Model 4 with the angled needle valve.

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:04 am

Thanks Rod, I just can't resist these little vintage engines. It has one bid, if anyone here is bidding let me know in the next four hours and I won't submit a bid, otherwise I'm in. Popcorn
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:36 am

Man you are a Glutton for pain lol! lol! Sorry done reading here and bored /// Good Luck. Eric
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:06 am

rsv1cox wrote:Thanks Rod,  I just can't resist these little vintage engines.  It has one bid, if anyone here is bidding let me know in the next four hours and I won't submit a bid, otherwise I'm in.   Popcorn

Saw it, but I'm out. Get'm Dude !!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:08 pm

Mark Boesen wrote:The brass eyelet is not from Wen-Mac, I'm pretty sure of that. Look at the repair flyer, the knot is on the crank end, get a small piece of aluminum tubing and make a small loop and squeeze tubing with pliers.

Look what I dug out of this second vintage Wen Mac gas tank, another eyelet. Too much of a coincidence to find another one in the same place. They must have put them on the end of that neoprene fuel tubing to keep the end open.

Wen Mac MkII 049 - Page 2 Wenboateyelet005_zps4b2a76ff

Neoprene sure is a poor choice to use as glow fuel tubing, all of these engines that have used it are wasted. However, I did order a length from Omni to "restore" these Wens to more or less original condition. It also will make great cockpit combing for my Nieuport model.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down