Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Lovin' my new electric starter Cox_ba12

Lovin' my new electric starter Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by akjgardner Today at 7:10 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Today at 6:42 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by MauricioB Today at 5:50 am

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:11 pm

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:51 pm

» EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:58 pm

» I brake for Turtles....
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:38 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» Ball - Socket Joints
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 4:06 pm

» A little nostalgia…
by MauricioB Yesterday at 3:32 pm

» A new useful transport vehicle
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 11:32 am

» TAPLIN TWIN 7ccm
by grant.symes Yesterday at 4:29 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Lovin' my new electric starter Empty
Live on Patrol

Lovin' my new electric starter

Go down

Lovin' my new electric starter Empty Lovin' my new electric starter

Post  rsv1cox Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:51 pm

After priming and flipping for around three minutes to no joy I got out my newly acquired Sullivan 1/2A electric starter and brought this Black Widow to life....running backwards.  Swapped polarity and off it went this time in the right direction.  50/50 chance maybe but it worked.  

Lovin' my new electric starter Nieuportspan005_zps5d13b88f

Just like the larger engines, apply the starter then hit the switch.  Life will be easier now but I know the cons, bent cranks etc.  but as long as I'm careful it works for me

Too bad though, to windy to fly but otherwise a nice day.  But wait, winter is working it's way East. Cold
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Lovin' my new electric starter Empty Re: Lovin' my new electric starter

Post  balogh Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:56 pm

I do it the other way around: bump the starter, release the start button, push the cone to the spinner and let its inertia drive the engine;; even if flooded, it will not break the conrod or crank pin, because the starter is not energized while driving the crankshaft.

Highly recommended especially for COX 010 and 020 powerplants, but works well with 049-s too.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:11 pm

I like those little green Sullivan starters.. and would probably have one, had I not built my own homemade starter from an old 540 can-motor years ago. It still works great. The only thing is; I must use a Tee Dee style spinner, because my drive-cone consists of a 1" long piece of automotive type fuel line, pressed onto a drive-gear on the can-motor's output shaft. It's "red-neck".. but it works. The only cost to build it was a momentary switch that I got from Radio Shack.

BTW... I LIKE that little airplane!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:33 pm

While I am not keen on starters, they do have their place. Usually when performing hot restarts on well used engines. Sometimes physical limitations require the use of a starter as well.

You have eluded to the dangers of using starters so I won't bore you with that. I will say this though, if your engine requires a starter to work properly then there must be something wrong.

A Bee engine in good tune only requires 1-2 flips be it by hand or spring starter. Actually, all my engines fire within a couple flips. Cox, Fox, K&B, O.S., Enya etc.

I fly a lot and never had the need to use a starter.

I am not saying not to use one, just it shouldn't really require it. It may be time to dissassemble and see what's up.

Those Hornet starters sure are neat though!

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:34 pm

I just got a new starter too for my big ones. Balogh is very correct. I think the best way to use it is to hand rotate the prop 180* back off of compression, then bump the starter to the spinner to turn it only as much as you would manually flip the prop. Don't spin it at all if you can help it.
Just my 2cents.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  706jim Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:02 pm

I use an old Astroflight starter. Figure it cranks at 10k rpm's so prime is NOT required.

Song of the week (???)

Ramble on is one of my favourites, especially that harmonized feedback solo in the middle.

True genius Jimmy!
706jim
706jim
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:33 am

I like it too Roddie, I'm sure you know from my previous posts that it's the first model that my son and I built/flew together, and.......best possible news, last week I learned that he is transferring back to Virginia from Colorado.  My flying buddy is coming back. Flying

Lovin' my new electric starter Mark-BRing001_zps930fa75d

I did experiment some with bump starting by engaging the switch before applying the starter to the spinner.  A combination of fading eyesight and 77 year old nerves kept me from hitting the spinner straight on, so I found starting it with the starter already correctly positioned on the spinner worked best for me.

I can't quite explain why this particular engine would not flip start.  Even with the electric starter engaged it took several seconds to pull the fuel/air mixture through the reed.  After that it started immediately every time.  Perhaps there was some debris caught under the reed.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:33 am

Not being able to flip start a Cox engine is a phenomena that I have experienced. Believe me, my flip starting techniques are beyond reproach - I may not have flown many but I now have started and run thousands of engines. (and have been bitten by many!)

I would say that Cox engines are easy starters but I have a medallion 049 that I have been unable to flick start. It starts easily with a starter motor, runs well but even when hot refuses to respond to my fingers.

Don't feel despondant about not being able to start a particular engine using manual dexterity.
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:13 am

Heck of a video Ian. Tough little airplane you have there. What, elevator control only? Guess that would be called pole flying. Looks like an unrestrained slip knot allowing some elevation control vertically along the pole.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:26 pm

rsv1cox wrote:I like it too Roddie, I'm sure you know from my previous posts that it's the first model that my son and I built/flew together, and.......best possible news, last week I learned that he is transferring back to Virginia from Colorado.  My flying buddy is coming back. Flying

Lovin' my new electric starter Mark-BRing001_zps930fa75d

I did experiment some with bump starting by engaging the switch before applying the starter to the spinner.  A combination of fading eyesight and 77 year old nerves kept me from hitting the spinner straight on, so I found starting it with the starter already correctly positioned on the spinner worked best for me.

I can't quite explain why this particular engine would not flip start.  Even with the electric starter engaged it took several seconds to pull the fuel/air mixture through the reed.  After that it started immediately every time.  Perhaps there was some debris caught under the reed.

That's great news for sure!! Yes I remember the model...

Lovin' my new electric starter Ringma10

You two can build and fly together again! I hope his transfer goes through early enough for him to be to be home for the holidays.

The electric starter I built, is not very powerful.. but has a very high no-load speed. I only apply "slight" pressure to the Tee Dee style spinner. If the drive-cone "slips".. I disconnect the glow-driver and hand-prop a few revolutions. A flooded engine will easily stall my electric starter.. but I don't take any chances.

The only reasons why I made my own 1/2A starter were; "to see if it would work".. and I was already lugging a power-panel/12v battery out to the field anyway. Spring-starters have always worked just fine though.. and you can fit a 1/2 pint bottle of fuel, a 2D battery-box, Cox glow-clip, tools and spares in a sandwich bag. I like the glow-plug continuity feedback you get through the panels ammeter though.. Hmm.. I wonder if one could connect a 1.5V LED/pigtail into the Cox glow-clip's wiring for verifying continuity? Maybe this "mad model scientist" will pose this question in a separate thread... What?
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:56 pm

rsv1cox wrote:

Could it be an air/vacuum leak in the crankcase? When primed, the oil might seal the leak enough so that the engine starts easier, or maybe it is sealed because of the heat expansion of the parts. With an electric starter the engine turns so fast that it generates enough vacuum into the crankcase to pull the fuel mixture through the reed.

Just a thought, but this has happened to me with bigger 2-stroke engines (mopeds etc). Crankcase leaks also sometimes cause inconsistent running due to varying mixture.
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:03 pm

Air/vacuum leak? Possibly. The engine was an ebay buy in good condition. I took it apart, cleaned it and replaced all the gaskets. It didn't run right so I replaced the copper "star" gasket with mylar and that's when the flipping began.

And roddie, sometime between January and April I would think. House to sell etc. etc. Yes, I like that Tower power panel, no guessing if the glow plug is lit and the adjustment allows just the right "glow" on the plug as they tend to glow differently at various settings.

I toyed with the idea of making my own starter too, but lazyness won out.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down