Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

It's time for me to build a new model Cox_ba12

It's time for me to build a new model Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Tired of it all…
by Ken Cook Today at 8:04 am

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by Kim Today at 7:41 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:46 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by getback Today at 6:17 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Today at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 12:27 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

It's time for me to build a new model Empty
Live on Patrol

It's time for me to build a new model

Go down

It's time for me to build a new model Empty It's time for me to build a new model

Post  RknRusty Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:07 pm

This past Spring I built the Li'l Jumpin Bean to teach myself how to fly stunts. It has served well, somewhat battered but it survives and still flies well. About the time I was building it, I got the itch to fly and resurrected my very battered Stuntman23 by chopping the fuse and creating a shorty. Lo and behold, it would do anything the Bean would do, only slower and more forgiving. I became proficient with both until my nieces cracked up the Stuntman and after repairs it was so heavy I needed more power. I figured, what the heck, I'll build a Li'l Satan and fly that with the Black Widow. So now I can make the planes go anywhere I point them... for 2 minutes or less, depending on the mood of the engine on any given day. I'm sick of running out of fuel half way through a fun flight.

Enter one Tee Dee and one Medallion. The TD flies the Stuntman with ease and I've mounted the Medallion on the Bean. Haven't figured how to fuel it yet. But neither plane is set up for beam mount or external fuel supplies, so it's kind of a clunky affair.

So I need to choose a model that will fly well with these new engines, easily carry at least 1.5 ounces of fuel for the TD or an ounce for the Medallion (my guesstimates). And not be so fast I can't handle it on 35' lines. I could go driving and find a bigger field, but I like walking across the street to my small field at the church. They are planning to knock down the unused buildings there and build a sports field. The pastor likes me and thinks it's cool that I fly there.

So, I'm now shopping for a plane. I'll report what I think looks good, and I'm open to opinions. I thought of buying a new Stuntman23 and chopping it like I did the old one, only building it with a beam mount. But I'd kind of like something different. And rugged. I do still smack down now and then. I think Y'all have witnessed that. Rolling Eyes

Okay, off to shop the Brodak site. See ya.

EDIT: Baby Flite Streak looks good, price is right. Are beam mounts more fragile than radials?
http://brodak.com/control-line-kits/brodak/1-2-a-series/1-2a-baby-flite-streak-kit-beam-mount.html

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

It's time for me to build a new model Empty Re: It's time for me to build a new model

Post  nitroairplane Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:46 am

Are beam mounts more fragile?
Well they stick and in heavy impacts are prone to snapping but they are fine you can already fly.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

It's time for me to build a new model Empty Mounts

Post  dankar04 Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:34 am

I perfer beam mounts on my planes. I rarely use reedies and use TD's. I have very little breakage from a beam mount. Baby flight streak is a fine plane. Corehouse sells a combat plane called little hacker. Twin pack for $35.00. 250sq." wings. I'm sure you could add wheels with very little effort. Its a foamie but they include SLC covering. SLC is low heat clear mylar covering. Fuel proof and paintable to. Made for Black Widows ans TD's with mount. You could use either or. They take a beating as designed for combat trainers. they will stunt just fine. Flying
dankar04
dankar04
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

It's time for me to build a new model Empty Re: It's time for me to build a new model

Post  RknRusty Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:18 pm

Hi all, I bumped this thread because I'm dreaming of models built to suit my evolving needs. So far I love the Baby Flite Streak among others. And I have a question. Have any of you guys flown a C/L plane with flaps? I've seen a couple and the design looks like it will do radical directional changes by combining flap and elevator on the same control motion. When you pull the elevator up, the flaps move down the same amount. I would love to have a model like that, but haven't seen one advertised.

It looks like it could be easily added to a plane with a small sheet extension on the wing trailing edge.

So who's got experience with this?

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:22 pm

Heard of it but never errors tied it however it does look interesting.
Dae did you use them for carrier landings?
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:55 pm

Rusty,

Here's a thread on a 1/2a control liner with flaps.

Don't know if you're interested in the built up fuselage or not.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5133880/anchors_5133880/mpage_1/key_pinto/anchor/tm.htm#5133880

Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:12 pm

nitroairplane wrote:Heard of it but never errors tied it however it does look interesting.
Dae did you use them for carrier landings?

Stunt C/L planes have symmetric airfoils that enable them to fly as well inverted as upright. The addition of flaps will increase the lift when deployed, but due to the symmetry of the airfoil, this lift works equally well upright and inverted. Because the flaps deploy in the opposite direction of the elevator, when elevator is applied, up elevator for example to push the tail down, the flaps will lift the front of the plane. Flaps, working in conjunction with the elevator, tighten the maneuvers and improve the crispness of the pattern.

By choosing different holes in the bellcrank and different holes in the control horns on the flaps and elevator, you can select multiple combinations of control surface movement.

andrew

It's time for me to build a new model Cessna10
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:10 pm

I'm going to try this. I would do it to the Stuntman, but the tail is so close to the wing since I shortened it, the effects between the elevator and flaps might get confused; so says Jim Thomerson, my expert consultant at RCG.
The Li'l Jumpin Bean may be a good one for this experiment if I don't shorten it. I may put some CF reenforcement on the fuse instead of shortening.

Thanks for the reply.

PS: It was too freakin cold and windy to fly today, so save your popcorn for next weekend. Last weeks movie was pretty good though.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down