Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

First patterns with the Oriental - Video Cox_ba12

First patterns with the Oriental - Video Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Tired of it all…
by Ken Cook Today at 8:04 am

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by Kim Today at 7:41 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:46 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by getback Today at 6:17 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Today at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 12:27 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

First patterns with the Oriental - Video Empty
Live on Patrol

First patterns with the Oriental - Video

Go down

First patterns with the Oriental - Video Empty First patterns with the Oriental - Video

Post  RknRusty Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:15 pm

My Oriental begins its service as my next contest plane and it's getting off to a good start. I replumbed the fuel system as described in the build thread, and tried the APC prop recommended by two Philly Fliers, as well as other tips that got me ahead of the game. I also installed a tongue muffler with a pressure tap, which reduced the weight of the nose, moving the CG a little farther aft than the book recommends.

I ran the engine set to the same steady 2-stroke for my warm-up flight as I did last week when I was using a Zinger 11x5 prop. But rather than 5.2 second laps, today I was flying 4.4 seconds with the APC 10-1/2 x 4-1/2. Last week if I ran a wet 2 stroke, it was gutless, low on climbing horsepower with no authority up high and I wouldn't risk the overhead maneuvers. With both props, a full 4 oz tank would give me a very long run, however until now, I was not concerned since I was only trimming and not flying patterns. But today, on its second flight, I put up its first full pattern, even though it was still moving too fast, because it felt so sure footed and turning corners with much less effort with the new rearward CG. Lightening the nose was the icing.

For the next and last flight I tried richening the needle hoping it wouldn't again be gutless and might still have some pull. It did. We had the camera going for this one and Wayne was the videographer. Afterwards, I wiped her down and parked it, and proceeded to wring out the Ukey, working on OH8s and other stunts including consistent bottoms.

Here we are in action. Go full screen and turn up the sound if you've got it. The voices come and go, but the ending is hilarious:
https://youtu.be/88wv-ie0WMY

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

First patterns with the Oriental - Video Empty Re: First patterns with the Oriental - Video

Post  roddie Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:47 pm

Thoroughly enjoyable Rusty!! Man.. talk about zero warning! I hope to fly a model that actually has some camber to it's airfoil-section this season.. Embarassed
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

First patterns with the Oriental - Video Empty Re: First patterns with the Oriental - Video

Post  RknRusty Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:27 pm

roddie wrote:Thoroughly enjoyable Rusty!! Man.. talk about zero warning! I hope to fly a model that actually has some camber to it's airfoil-section this season.. Embarassed
Yeah, when a uniflow tank works right, it runs the same from beginning to end... obviously. You're supposed to know when it's going to quit. I thought I had about 25 laps remaining. Sheesh! I got lucky on that one.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:39 pm

He had plenty of warning Roddie... He just ignored it, I heard it start going lean right after the clover and I am 1000 miles away.

All is well Rusty, it was a good landing. Just not like you wanted. Glad to see it in the air and the engine run was really nice.

It looks quite capable and great in the air. Good job man!!!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rogermharris Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:42 pm

green side up as they say... the wheels should be down LOL! good looking plane! can't wait to get out and do some flying.. something i never mastered as a kid was righting myself from upside-down. i would get too excited and nose plant as i would forget to reverse my control. other than that i could perform all the stunts. thanks for the video, makes me more determined to get out sooner than later and do some flying!
rogermharris
rogermharris
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:48 pm

Thanks, Ron, Roger and Roddie. Maybe I should put another set of landing gear on the top. lol!
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  rogermharris Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:50 pm

RknRusty wrote:Thanks, Ron, Roger and Roddie. Maybe I should put another set of landing gear on the top. lol!
Rusty

maybe you should just move the landing gear to the top.... inverted takeoffs....  LOL!

Last edited by rogermharris on Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
rogermharris
rogermharris
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:37 am

Nice landing! Smile

In RC we are always told to roll out of an inverted position if there is any problem, guess you can't with CL...
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:43 am

Great Googley Goop , Man that was the bomb !! Looks like a winner to me Good Job Rusty Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:57 am

Surfer_kris wrote:Nice landing! Smile

In RC we are always told to roll out of an inverted position if there is any problem, guess you can't with CL...
Well, we can't roll out. But I had enough air to dive and turn it around. But that's one of those decisions, where you instantly pick one and commit. Yeah, I could have landed upright, but I picked the easiest solution. Luckily that plane really glides nicely. I was upwind when I touched down. Not even a scratch. Wayne gave me hell about it though. Y'all heard him.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:54 pm

Here's Wayne flying his Pathfinder. Reminds me I've got a ways to go yet. In the few years I've been flying one, I have yet to see him ever put one into the ground any other way than rolling.

https://youtu.be/vdi7ygYle9k

The wiggle you see in nis wingovers is him pulling the plane down to see if it goes back up on its own.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:29 pm

The sound of a Tiger .46 is quite cool. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:08 pm

Ken Cook wrote:             The sound of a Tiger .46 is quite cool. Ken
Yes it is. Wayne was having trouble with it holding a needle setting with both the ST46 and the LA46 on the Cardinal. When he got it home, both of his his crap traps were full of dried grass bits and weed seed.

He runs open uniflow vents on his fuel systems and I guess that's where it gets in. In the green season it's not a problem. The only plane I fly without a closed fuel system is the Yak/Fox because it has no muffler. We hold the planes off the ground until the pilot is strapped in and ready, to help prevent ingesting junk. I'm going to start using stocking material for venturi filters. I've seen real filters on planes, but haven't looked into buying them.

Both you and Dennis said the FP40 has a distinctive note when it's set just right. I hope that's the sound I was hearing in that final flight. It was the first flight when everything came together, lap time, good thrust and the fuel usage, the latter being an obvious surprise to me. I hope I don't need more fuel in the Summer. It was 87 degrees during that flight though. I'll look into a 5 oz tank just in case. Thanks very much to you and Dennis for getting me set up with the right equipment, plug, prop, etc.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:39 pm

I was going to comment on it breaking lean early on, but Ken didn't say anything so I left it alone.

Good to hear it was just junk in the tank/filters.

I am not sure I understand what you were saying about him pulling it down to see if it goes up on it's own. Is that a trimming check?
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:55 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:...I am not sure I understand what you were saying about him pulling it down to see if it goes up on it's own. Is that a trimming check?
He checks the stamina of his thrust by pulling the handle straight down, firmly, not harshly, when the plane is passing through 90 degrees. Then immediately raises his arm back up. If it's the way he likes it, the plane will quickly climb and tighten back up. The big ol' 71 oz Magnum just crumples the lines when you do that. But We haven't tried that trick with it's newest Thunder Tiger prop.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:38 am

Rusty, I didn't watch either of the videos all the way to the end. Dinner came into play and I didn't get a chance to watch all the way. I do this on Sat mornings. I do recall that you mentioned on the second flight that you were going to richen up the engine. Were you doing this to slow the plane down? That could prove problematic and it can also lead to multiple flights to find that comfortable speed. I initially asked about your line length earlier because it's easier to let the engine run fast and slow down your lap time by adjusting the lines. This also gives you a bit more freedom in your maneuvers. This also keeps the engine in it's maximum torque curve running fast. Your engine sounded good and it seems to be working trouble free. I assume the tank capacity is large enough? Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:39 am

I'm on 61' lines. and yes, I set it originally for launch with a barely crackling 2 stroke with my Zinger prop and it flew 5.2 seconds with may more laps than needed. Same setting with the APC prop went down to 4.2 second laps, still way past the pattern. On my last flight, the one in the video, I set it richer and that's what you watched. On the video, I'm somewhere around 5 seconds more or less, I haven't counted but a couple. But it ran steady and gave me a few laps after the pattern. That's what led to the surprise and hilarious ending. I hope you get a chance to watch the end. Classic Wayne in the peanut gallery. We'll see how the fuel economy on the 4oz tank works in the summer heat.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:38 pm

Your economy will increase in the summer which is a good thing that in this cooler air you made it through. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:03 pm

Ken Cook wrote:            Your economy will increase in the summer which is a good thing that in this cooler air you made it through. Ken
Oh yeah, DUH! I said something dumb didn't I.
Hot air=less dense=less oxygen, so keep the F/A ratio balanced with less fuel.

And I recall why I said that. One 105 degree day last summer we were setting them richer to keep them running. I was pulling my hair trying to make sense of that. Turns out they were overheating and needed the extra fuel to cool them. That would have been my FP35 back then. We probably shouldn't have been flying. Maybe some of that Fox slime fuel would have run better that day.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down