Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Kim's Baby Wulf...Covering (at last) Has Begun ! - Page 3 Cox_ba12

Kim's Baby Wulf...Covering (at last) Has Begun ! - Page 3 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Piston to Cylinder - what's a good fit, what's bad?
by balogh Today at 3:10 pm

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Today at 2:51 pm

» WHO NEEDS TANKS!!!?? Perfect Brand Tanks For Sale
by Cox International Today at 2:48 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 2:07 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by cstatman Today at 2:03 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by GTO455 Today at 2:01 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 12:32 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Today at 11:52 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 10:12 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by rdw777 Today at 8:06 am

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by F4D Phantom II Yesterday at 7:00 pm

» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Yesterday at 5:51 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Kim's Baby Wulf...Covering (at last) Has Begun ! - Page 3 Empty
Live on Patrol

Kim's Baby Wulf...Covering (at last) Has Begun !

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Kim's Baby Wulf...Covering (at last) Has Begun ! - Page 3 Empty Re: Kim's Baby Wulf...Covering (at last) Has Begun !

Post  Kim Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:36 am

The Baby Wulf...AKA "Butcher Bird"...born in '62 !!!!!

Kim's Baby Wulf...Covering (at last) Has Begun ! - Page 3 Butche10
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Kim's Baby Wulf...Covering (at last) Has Begun ! - Page 3 Empty Re: Kim's Baby Wulf...Covering (at last) Has Begun !

Post  stuntflyr Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:24 pm

Cool Ad. I love that era.
Chris...
stuntflyr
stuntflyr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:23 am

Baby Wulf has battery power !!!! Now, if the tornadoes will leave the roof on the shop and not make me again retrieve my lawn chairs from yonder pasture...I intends to sling some dope !!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  mitchg95 Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:54 pm

Kim wrote:Baby Wulf has battery power !!!! Now, if the tornadoes will leave the roof on the shop and not make me again retrieve my lawn chairs from yonder pasture...I intends to sling some dope !!!!

yay battery power Very Happy
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:11 pm

Kim wrote:Baby Wulf has battery power !!!! Now, if the tornadoes will leave the roof on the shop and not make me again retrieve my lawn chairs from yonder pasture...I intends to sling some dope !!!!

Well? How did it go?

Nice Avatar BTW.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:01 am

mitchg95 wrote:wow it looks awesome, cant wait for more pics of the build and a report on the maiden when she's done. great job Smile

Thanks ! The project is progressing in fits and jerks...much like my life ! Another rearrangement/organization of the Skunk Works interrupted the covering for a bit, but Baby Wulf is again back on the table!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:18 am

Under constant threat of a strafing pass by a Texas Spitfire, the Baby Wulf has been moved to the covering department of The Skunk Works !

We're staying Old School with silkspan and dope for covering. A heavy strip runs up the lower fuse, medium on the fuse sides, and light weight for the planked sections and wing.

Now, for a clandestine raid on Indiana Rory's heavily guarded Fortress Fair Elm Farm to retrieve my airbrush and it's accessories!

Kim's Baby Wulf...Covering (at last) Has Begun ! - Page 3 9_18

Kim's Baby Wulf...Covering (at last) Has Begun ! - Page 3 10_15

Kim's Baby Wulf...Covering (at last) Has Begun ! - Page 3 11_14

Kim's Baby Wulf...Covering (at last) Has Begun ! - Page 3 12_19

and yes...it HAS been done before !!!!!

Kim's Baby Wulf...Covering (at last) Has Begun ! - Page 3 M_a_n_10

Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:36 am

Progressing along nicely Kim. The RAF believes in a fair fight so I will lye in wait for now........

I have zero experience with silkspan. Is it lighter than modern coatings? Or just more durable.

Looks good!

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:15 am

Depending on how much dope you sling on it, it CAN be lighter, but it doesn't have the resilience of Monokote and other coverings.

My "Field Repair Kit' consists of a dope bottle, brush, scissors, silkspan scraps, and some alcohol for cleaning the wound (plane OR pilot). Depending on the weight of the silkspan, Scotch Magic Tape can be used as a temporary patch, but sometimes doesn't want to let go!

A moistened patch of silkspan, applied with 50/50 clear dope/thinner can draw small punctures and tears back together, and after a second sealing coat, be ready for more combat in about 20 minutes.

All that aside...I just LIKE it ! This is the way I started, and it's still fun for me to watch the covering progress through it's stages ! Takes me back to when my mom would make me "Take that stuff out on the back porch!" Even THAT was educational...it was there, on the back porch in winter, that I discovered a paint/finishing phenomenon called "Blushing" !
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ziimzy Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:05 pm

Wow looking good kim! loved this plane as soon as I saw it Very Happy

Please release some pics of it finished! Or even in-between!!!

Ziimzy
Ziimzy
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:49 pm

Thanks Ziimzy! Got another work session planned for it tomorrow evening, and will post some more photos.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:42 pm

Kim wrote:it was there, on the back porch in winter, that I discovered a paint/finishing phenomenon called "Blushing" !

I hate it when that happens!. Have it looking all suave,,and then turn around once and it is white with fright,,or it looks like someone sneezed on it.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:32 am

PV Pilot wrote:
Kim wrote:it was there, on the back porch in winter, that I discovered a paint/finishing phenomenon called "Blushing" !

I hate it when that happens!. Have it looking all suave,,and then turn around once and it is white with fright,,or it looks like someone sneezed on it.

Yeah...it REALLY ticked me off...especially since I didn't understand why it was happening ! Aerogloss was (proportionally) about as expensive back then as it is now, and having a dull, white streak appear on the side of my brand-new plane was NOT a pleasant experience !!!

I eventually got a clue about the stuff, several airplanes down the road, but it was a painful learning curve !
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:31 pm

Kim wrote:
PV Pilot wrote:
I hate it when that happens!.  Have it looking all suave,,and then turn around once and it is white with fright,,or it looks like someone sneezed on it.
Yeah...it REALLY ticked me off...especially since I didn't understand why it was happening !  Aerogloss was (proportionally) about as expensive back then as it is now, and having a dull, white streak appear on the side of my brand-new plane was NOT a pleasant experience !!!

I eventually got a clue about the stuff, several airplanes down the road, but it was a painful learning curve !
 I was reading this tread looking for some monakote covering tips , but I don't understand what happened about the white streak . KIM ? thanks Eric
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:10 pm

Hey Eric,

I GOT to get back to this neglected project! The "White Streak" I was referring to was my first experience with paint blushing .

It originally happened way back when I was chased outside with my Aerogloss dope, and applying it in cold weather often caused a dull, pale area where air was trapped inside the finish.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:24 am

Kim wrote:Hey Eric,

I GOT to get back to this neglected project!  The "White Streak" I was referring to was my first experience with paint blushing .  

It originally happened way back when I was chased outside with my Aerogloss dope, and applying it in cold weather often caused a dull, pale area where air was trapped inside the finish.
   Kim, plane was looking good and believe me I know about problems that occur after a lot of hard / time /ambishesh  work that goes in to projects , you do need to finish that airplane and put it in the air . check this link out if you have not already .http://www.monokote.com/lustrekote/painting-tips/topr7200tip5.html  happy thanks giving buddy! Thanksgiving Dinner
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:34 pm

@Kim, remember this blast from the past 20 years ago, your 2 channel Tee Dee .010 powered Guillow micro Butcher Bird build in silkspan? What ever became of it? Very Happy
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:53 pm

I love it when these old posts are resurrected, 2012 before my time here.

Makes me want to do maybe one more tissue and dope model before I cash it in.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:04 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:@Kim, remember this blast from the past 20 years ago, your 2 channel Tee Dee .010 powered Guillow micro Butcher Bird build in silkspan? What ever became of it? Very Happy

OH LORD!  Rolling Eyes

Yeah, like SO many other of my still-born projects, it's patiently waiting for me...like ten years or so!  I put SO much careful work in that little thing, but got burned out, trying to get the gear in the tiny fuselage, and just put it on the BACK back burner.  I'm sure some other shiny thing caught me eye.

Who knows?  Maybe it'll get finished...one plus should be the antenna-less micro receiver I could now use now.

I GOT to learn to shut up 'till I got a project going!!!

Kim's Baby Wulf...Covering (at last) Has Begun ! - Page 3 Img_8811
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:22 pm

Kim wrote:I GOT to learn to shut up 'till I got a project going!!!
Don't we all? I've still got unbuilt kits plus several project planes half complete. Doh! Old Bugger Tired w/ Coffee Read lol!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:17 pm

Kim wrote:
GallopingGhostler wrote:@Kim, remember this blast from the past 20 years ago, your 2 channel Tee Dee .010 powered Guillow micro Butcher Bird build in silkspan? What ever became of it? Very Happy

OH LORD!  Rolling Eyes

Yeah, like SO many other of my still-born projects, it's patiently waiting for me...like ten years or so!  I put SO much careful work in that little thing, but got burned out, trying to get the gear in the tiny fuselage, and just put it on the BACK back burner.  I'm sure some other shiny thing caught me eye.

Who knows?  Maybe it'll get finished...one plus should be the antenna-less micro receiver I could now use now.

I GOT to learn to shut up 'till I got a project going!!!

Kim's Baby Wulf...Covering (at last) Has Begun ! - Page 3 Img_8811

What a job Kim...those kits really are something special, I have a Dumas Pitts waiting for me about 12 years ago!
https://www.dumasproducts.com/?product=pitts-special-s1-kit-229
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:18 pm

andrew wrote:

Until recently, the best thing you could do with a Guillows kit was to throw away the plane and keep the plans. Very Happy

This comment made me laugh a lot lol Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:44 am

2012 Not too bad for us Old Bugger lol! I got a stick and tissue model and was thinking ? I was going to get on it as soon as i got it But didn't happen , got the Grumman F4F printed out yesterday under $4 but now there is a top end of a Harley engine on the kitchen table go figure .. It would probably bee anther wall hanger anyway I Love This Forum!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:21 am

I've built close to a dozen Guillow rubber powered in my life time. Except for their easy to build Series 900 semi-scale warbird series, which were decent fliers because of their light framing, even though their earlier kits were of the heaviest balsa available, the rest were too heavily framed.

They were the only company I knew of, that could take a square bulkhead fuselage and turn it into a multi stringer bulk of balsa. The wings were also heavily framed.

Most of the Comet kits OTOH were lightly framed and more or less flew well. However, most of their landing gear were poorly engineered, would tear off upon the first grass landing (which was common). Although a low winger, I was very happy in 1966 when my Comet 18" P-51A flew well. When I built the same series 18" P-40 Warhawk, I made the landing gear non-scale of right sized music wire protruding from the fuselage and sewn to a bulkhead.

My 24" Guillow Aeronca Champion I built in college though, was heavy even though I finished it lightly in color tissue with trim, only lightly clear doped. It had a very fast glide, poor climb.

As a high school senior, I built a no longer kitted 18" Guillow Fokker DVIII, covered it in orange Esaki tissue, used my brother's Badger air brush and butyrate dope (back then, hobby shops carried Pactra Butyrate, it was hard to find nitrate dope and I didn't know any better) thinned 50-50. It looked so nice I didn't even want to try to fly it, kept it as a static display.

I still have a Guillow 16" Hawker Typhoon kit still unbuilt in their simpler semi-scale series, 900 - Easy to Build Scale Flying.
Kim's Baby Wulf...Covering (at last) Has Begun ! - Page 3 2023-014

In the past built 2 of their T-28's in the same series, good fliers. Also built 2 of their DeHavilland Chipmunks same series. Guillow kits always had nice molded canopies.

Another Guillow I built twice, same series as Kim's Butcher Bird, the 16" F6F Hellcat. Again, it was heavily framed, fast poor glide and poor flier. On the plans they show an option to install a Cox .010 or Cox .020 Pee Wee and fly it RTP (round the pole). I never bothered with it, because I figured that it would probably end up a pile of sticks upon the first (crash) landing. Sad
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:54 am

Neat build Kim, Gotta love sticks and paper!!….. It’s perfectly OK to have a few partly built airplanes hanging around…. I’ve got a few too!!!….. With you on the box art, Was fun to look at those and envision what our models could look like….

I’ve got the P-40 in that same series… Also the 905 Mustang for a someday project…. If I hear that Butcher Bird buzzing the bones in those boxes may start rattling around!!!

Kim's Baby Wulf...Covering (at last) Has Begun ! - Page 3 56c9ab10
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next