Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Attaching Cloth Hinges Cox_ba12

Attaching Cloth Hinges Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 1:04 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:44 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:17 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

» [solved]most Efficent Glowhead Clip for Norvel Engine
by batjac Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:33 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Attaching Cloth Hinges Empty
Live on Patrol

Attaching Cloth Hinges

Go down

Attaching Cloth Hinges Empty Attaching Cloth Hinges

Post  larrys4227 Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:33 am

I've only done this once on a couple of Lil' Bats ... and I used CA. It seems the CA will soak into the hinge point making it stiff and brittle, thus they break.

What do you all use to attach your cloth hinges?
larrys4227
larrys4227
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Attaching Cloth Hinges Empty Re: Attaching Cloth Hinges

Post  cox24711 Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:45 am

ca but only a little bit a drop will do
cox24711
cox24711
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cox24711 Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:47 am

larrys4227 wrote:I've only done this once on a couple of Lil' Bats ... and I used CA.  It seems the CA will soak into the hinge point making it stiff and brittle, thus they break.

you can do sewn hinges if you want to there better (as in they dont break as often)
il teach you how to do them if you want
cox24711
cox24711
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:54 am

I used balsa glue (not the water based stuff), first a little to get the hinges to stay in place and afterwards some more to soak through the entire attachment area. This glue is quite thick so it does not wick into the fabric easily. The elevator and stabilizer were clearcoated before I glued the hinges, this prevents the glue from absorbing into the balsa. After the glue had set, I put a drop of sewing machine oil to the "hinging" areas of the fabric strips to prevent the following clear and paint layers from absorbing into the hinge.

KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:03 am

larrys4227 wrote:I've only done this once on a couple of Lil' Bats ... and I used CA.  It seems the CA will soak into the hinge point making it stiff and brittle, thus they break.

I found the same problem while using CA on cloth hinges so I switched to commercial pinned plastic hinges.

With cloth hinges you have to paint the horizontal stablizer/elevator assembly after glueing them getting paint on the joint interferring with it's operation. With pinned plastic hinges you can paint the surfaces first then attach the hinges, makes for a much cleaner and smoother surface.

I built a very simple hinge slot cutter using a Dremel tool and cut off disc. It cuts hinge slots quicker than you can CA the cloth.

But, you can use five minute epoxy on cloth hinges wiping in on but away from the hinge joint and it won't crinkle the cloth like CA does.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:22 am

I was quite impressed with my first attempt at sewn hinges. (See my "Cadet" thread). They hold the surfaces close together with hardly any gap and have free movement for more than 180°. I used Spectra braid fishing line. Not sure I'd go back to cloth, but I also just used balsa glue like KariFS explained.

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  larrys4227 Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:40 am

This is for the Jumping Bean I'm building ... should have mentioned that! The finish will be silk/dope ... if that matters.

Would love to use pinned hinges, but the elevator thickness prevents it. I have a whole bag them too!

I'll have to re-visit sewn hinges .... never done it though. Probably sew them "after" finishing?

Thanks for all the replies .... Clapping Clapping
larrys4227
larrys4227
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rogermharris Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:38 am

here's a thread on stitched hinges.  i have been stitching mine when not using pinned hinges.

link to sewn hinges thread
rogermharris
rogermharris
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  larrys4227 Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:03 am

Thanks for the link .... sewn hinges are getting my attention.  Something different to try. I'm surprised that sewing doesn't require multiple loops through each hole of the pattern. Just one pass-through, eh?

Certainly something I can practice .... got plenty of scrap balsa ....  Laughing
larrys4227
larrys4227
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rogermharris Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:06 am

i did not read back through that thread but, it's a good idea to strengthen the edge of the balsa where you will bee stitching. that way you don't cut into or through the balsa when pulling the tread tight
rogermharris
rogermharris
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:28 am

Sewn hinges, hing points along with dubro pinned hinges are a better option
However when it comes to cloth hinges I use testors fast drying cement (The brown tube), Sigbond or a small amount of 5 minute epoxy as mentioned. I haven't tried sewn hinges yet but i'm gonna learn since I'm gonna use it on my .010 build.
Thanks for the link Roger Smile (Bandit)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:29 am

For fabric hinges I use Testors "airplane glue" that's what I called it as a kid. But they're hard to hide.
Here's my favorite 1/2A stitch as seen on the Refried Bean elevator. It's 3 figure-8 passes through each pair of holes. Dacron flying line, and I tie one end to something like a doorknob and pre-stretch it.  
Attaching Cloth Hinges Bean_s12

Here's my stitch for 35 size planes. Also 3 figure-8 passes through each pair of holes, with the crossover to the next pair of holes hidden on the underside. So all my holes are directly opposite each other rather than zig-zagged. Just my method, there are many.
Attaching Cloth Hinges 02231310

Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  rogermharris Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:36 am

i like the look of them being single stitches like you did on the bean. i have been using one pass with some upholstery thread that i cant even break and make them three stitches wide but, like i said,, i like the way they look spread out and will have to try that. Thumbs Up
rogermharris
rogermharris
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:06 am

I like stitch hinges on 1/2A and use the pin hinges on larger stuff. I have repaired broken pin hinges by going with stitches. They work well and never fail.

Cloth hinges will only work for so long.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:20 pm

For smaller models I still prefer what used to be called "Chinese" hinges. I usually apply them to the stab first...one on top, next on bottom for as many as needed. Then you connect them to the elevator(s)...Top on stab, bottom on elevator, etc. I use white glue or model cement, carefully keeping it away from the pivot point (hinge).

I have also adhered hinges with clear dope. You pre-dope, then apply hinges using another coat after the first one has dried. Using this method you MUST pre-dope or the joint will be too weak. I heard that ribbon from a sewing shop makes a good hinge. I have not tried it.

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:47 am

I use the cloth (I would rather call it glass fiber textile) hinges just back inserting them into the slot cut into the balsa and keep the elevator and rudder in place by some scotch tape placed over the hinge on both sides.

The hinge aligns the mating parts and the scotch tape keeps the assembly in place. Scotch tape is very lasting and the hinge can also be replaced without destruction because it is not glued.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:58 pm

gcb wrote:For smaller models I still prefer what used to be called "Chinese" hinges.

I heard that ribbon from a sewing shop makes a good hinge. I have not tried it.

George

George - I can't invision those Chinese hinges. Do you have a picture you could post?

I am guessing you've never been in a "sewing, quilting crafts" type store?  The choice and selections of ribbon, are wider and more varied than our choice of paints and coverings at our local hobby shop( or on line)!!  Next time I have to "stop for just a minute" at the fabric store with my wife, I'll snap a picture of their wall of ribbon.

It's no wonder they can never make up their minds...to many choices lol!

It is rather amazing some of the product similarities between our hobbies ...cutting matts, razor knives, glues...all very similar, but more expensive, probably cause they're pink.
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:25 am

I looked for those style of hinging also and didn't see what I could envision as for airplanes , yea you can meet some interesting people in those craft stores lol! I think more men the better is probably what there thinking . Getback Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:02 pm

Marleysky wrote:George - I can't invision those Chinese hinges. Do you have a picture you could post?
Don't have pics but it is just a name for what you are probably already using. Cloth strips in pairs...each pair has one strip attached to top of stab and bottom of elevator. Other strip is attached bottom of stab and top of elevator.

I am guessing you've never been in a "sewing, quilting crafts" type store?  The choice and selections of ribbon, are wider and more varied than our choice of paints and coverings at our local hobby shop( or on line)!!  Next time I have to "stop for just a minute" at the fabric store with my wife, I'll snap a picture of their wall of ribbon.

It's no wonder they can never make up their minds...to many choices lol!

It is rather amazing some of the product similarities between our hobbies ...cutting matts, razor knives, glues...all very similar, but more expensive, probably cause they're pink.

Yes, I have...and I've picked up some good stuff there.

I like nylon ribbon about 1/2 inch wide, preferably white. Actually I still have some old typewriter ribbon that was discarded before the inking process. Great stuff. Probably unobtainable now Smile.

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:37 pm

Yeah, ok that's right. Over/under, that is what I've used in the past. I guess the "Chinese" name was throwing me off.  I'm still going to try the sewn figure 8 style on my next build.  
Unobtainium : un-inked typewriter ribbon   Ha, ha ha.   Sad, but true. Crying or Very sad

Last edited by Marleysky on Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:01 pm

Muslin was pretty much the material that Perfect offered. I found that Sig Coverall made a very good , flexible and darn near invisible hinge. Problems though is that Koverall is a weave. It needs to be cut in one direction. You will recognize it instantly once you cut it. It also frays or it becomes easily pulled out of square as the weave allows it to move across it's axis. I would cut clean strips by sandwiching it between paper and cutting through everything. I use the same method to cut Jap tissue when making decorations. Jap tissue will cut then begin to drag tearing the edge. Hinges were installed using Testor's fast dry. It works great offering good adhesion, good working time and it dries clear. As George mentioned, Dope would also do the same.

Here's a shot of my Voodoo using a similar method of Koverall but I used 1/2 oz glass cloth. The cloth is wrapped around the entire pin. The Voodoo and others used a L shaped pin for hinge pins, one being on each boom. If your looking to quickly wreck a plane, this is a good way to do it. Too much stress is placed on the elevator and it needs a continuous hinge. I went with 1/16" wire bushed where it passes though the booms. I used slo-cure epoxy to glass the pin onto the elevator and even with a clear finish it becomes difficult to detect.

Attaching Cloth Hinges Dscn2320
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down