Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Cloth hinge material Cox_ba12

Cloth hinge material Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by MauricioB Today at 4:50 am

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by MauricioB Yesterday at 10:11 pm

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:51 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:09 pm

» EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» I break for Turtles....
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:38 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 6:27 pm

» Ball - Socket Joints
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:06 pm

» A little nostalgia…
by MauricioB Yesterday at 2:32 pm

» A new useful transport vehicle
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 10:32 am

» TAPLIN TWIN 7ccm
by grant.symes Yesterday at 3:29 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 12:09 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Cloth hinge material Empty
Live on Patrol

Cloth hinge material

Go down

Cloth hinge material Empty Cloth hinge material

Post  oldguy Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:30 pm

Do any of you still use a cloth material to make your hinges?If so, is there a material that can be used that can be bought at a local store to make hinges?
oldguy
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Cloth hinge material Empty Re: Cloth hinge material

Post  fredvon4 Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:45 pm

Yes many here still use that method..I don't any more preferring threaded hinges or some of the types buried in a slot

For 1/2a a lot of materiel from cast off clothing will work

For bigger planes there are preferred weights and materiel but really subjective and just anecdotal evidence that any one is better, looser, more durable, longer lasting...But if I recall most prefer Dacron or the supplied materiel in kits. Others claim Muslin is best. Brodak has it but does not say what it is

http://brodak.com/building-supplies/hinges-1/cloth-hinge-material.html
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  oldguy Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:53 pm

fredvon4 wrote:Yes many here still use that method..I don't any more preferring threaded hinges or some of the types buried in a slot

For 1/2a a lot of materiel from cast off clothing will work

For bigger planes there are preferred weights and materiel but really subjective and just anecdotal evidence that any one is better, looser, more durable, longer lasting...But if I recall most prefer Dacron or the supplied materiel in kits. Others claim Muslin is best. Brodak has it but does not say what it is

http://brodak.com/building-supplies/hinges-1/cloth-hinge-material.html

Thanks Fred, but I was looking to see if there was something like at michaels, or hobby lobby that could used, instaed of ordering and waiting.I know I can buy from Brodak and such, but was just wondering if others had maybe found that can be used.
Thanks Fred
oldguy
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:15 pm

I am sure some use them still and when new work well enough. Over time they do become brittle, depending on how they were applied and the type of material was used.

I would consider other types of hinging if you plan on keeping the model long term.

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:27 pm

Rip stop nylon is one choice. However be careful as you don't want too heavy a product. (no, I can't give you a "weight" recommendation)

Polyester "no iron" dress shirt fabric is another choice. I believe "oxford" and "Taffeta" are the fabric names. This can be easily had at the thrift store or possibly from your closet or rag bin.

Try to stick with a synthetic as it will be more stable in the glue. Natural fiber will tend to break when flexed if there is glue in it. There are many other choices too.

Pinking shears are a good idea, to control frayed bits, but very not necessary.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:15 pm

OldGuy

Perhaps missed in my response was cast off clothing you already have negating the need to go to hobby lobby, Michael's, JoAnn's

Maybe an old white formal shirt that is missing buttons or no longer fits

Polyester cotton blends will work

A few folks use Christmas type ribbon and I did once because the red ribbon disappeared into the red dope of the elevator stabilator

Technique is important and a few years back my dad taught me to color the top and bottom center with same color crayon to try to keep the adhesive/dope out of the working (flexible) area of the cloth hinge

The are some materials not well suited for this like 100% wool or cotton but most of the tougher light weight blends are going to be adequate

Don't over think this sir... go to the closet and ask significant other, if you have one, for a throw away item

Cut 1/2" wide by 1" long strips or two and using scrap wood use glue like Elmer's, tight bond, or Sigment, or Nitrate dope on wood and Butylrate dope in the cloth and see what you think...I know if you get dope or paint in the small hing line they get stiff and I like mine to fall free

If I were to do this again I would use some of my wife's (quilting hobby) 1" wide Dacron or Muslin edge banding because it does not fray on the long sides as delivered on the roll
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  oldguy Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:03 pm

fredvon4 wrote:OldGuy

Perhaps missed in my response was cast off clothing you already have negating the need to go to hobby lobby, Michael's, JoAnn's

Maybe an old white formal shirt that is missing buttons or no longer fits

Polyester cotton blends will work

A few folks use Christmas type ribbon and I did once because the red ribbon disappeared into the red dope of the elevator stabilator

Technique is important and a few years back my dad taught me to color the top and bottom center with same color crayon to try to keep the adhesive/dope out of the working (flexible) area of the cloth hinge

The are some materials not well suited for this like 100% wool or cotton but most of the tougher light weight blends are going to be adequate

Don't over think this sir... go to the closet and ask significant other, if you have one, for a throw away item

Cut 1/2" wide by 1" long strips or two and using scrap wood use glue like Elmer's, tight bond, or Sigment, or Nitrate dope on wood and Butylrate dope in the cloth and see what you think...I know if you get dope or paint in the small hing line they get stiff and I like mine to fall free

If I were to do this again I would use some of my wife's (quilting hobby) 1" wide Dacron or Muslin edge banding because it does not fray on the long sides as delivered on the roll

Good info,1" wide dacron sounds good.
oldguy
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down