Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Control line action at Fort Jackson - an inside the circle video Cox_ba12

Control line action at Fort Jackson - an inside the circle video Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by F4D Phantom II Today at 4:57 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by getback Today at 4:25 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by getback Today at 4:23 pm

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by rsv1cox Today at 7:50 am

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Greenman38633 Today at 5:02 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Today at 12:41 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:26 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 8:04 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 7:55 pm

» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Yesterday at 4:38 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Yesterday at 2:30 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 9:21 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Control line action at Fort Jackson - an inside the circle video Empty
Live on Patrol

Control line action at Fort Jackson - an inside the circle video

Go down

Control line action at Fort Jackson - an inside the circle video Empty Control line action at Fort Jackson - an inside the circle video

Post  RknRusty Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:52 pm

The Fort Jackson Control Line Gang is growing. Our newest member, Richard Malik is a transplant from Michigan and lives about 100 miles from the field. I live 3 or 4 from it. He met up with Wayne and me today for an early start, about 9:30. Bob Zambelli rolled in soon after with his huge eclectic fleet.
Control line action at Fort Jackson - an inside the circle video Labor_10

I took the Magnum and the Nobler. I've got some video cooking and here's the first one, of Wayne flying the Magnum. We both put up flights on it.

More to come tomorrow. I am beat tonight.
Later,
Rusty

P.S. and I have yet to show y'all pics and vids of the Alice Cooper/Motley Crue concert my son took Holley and me to last Saturday in Charlotte. That was quite a Rock show.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Control line action at Fort Jackson - an inside the circle video Empty Re: Control line action at Fort Jackson - an inside the circle video

Post  Ken Cook Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:17 am

Rusty, glad you got out. Weather here has been hot and yesterday was awesome. Philly Fliers had our picnic and there was a huge turnout. Seemed like more talking and eating than flying. Nonetheless we had some good flights. I put up several 1/2A matches with my son. I've been trying to work out some TD's for flying combat at our stunt field. The ball bearing stuff is over the top loud. To keep the peace, I decided to run Norvel's. However, I didn't have any planes setup using them and I had to resort to the ball bearing engines. We used our back circle closer to the tree line and we had a ball. I had to  really play with the planes to get them to fly for me. I don't know how my son flies them. I can't even control them they're so twitchy. I slowed down the controls, added nose weight etc. We got into some good matches. The speeds were insane on the planes I had them on.

While the Ringmaster Fly A Thon takes place in October, Philly Fliers essentially do the same year round. Since the start of the Fly A Thon years back, we never provided them with any of our flights. This is due to typically being committed to another field where we do some demos of speed , sport, and combat not to mention Dan's pulse jet and others. Yesterday, we had a few of the members return for some good food as they've been absent from the field and functions for quite some time. It was a real blast to see them and fly with them. I knew as soon as I saw several Ring's pitted to the side that a mass fly was in the making.

These get carried away when they do happen. Were constantly pushing the limit doing crazy stuff. Everyone goes into these knowing there's a slight chance you may not have your plane when done. Dan organized 13 Ringmaster planes one time and that was just insanity. The fact we got all of them running and in the air was a feat in itself. All of us run Fox .35's.  Here's a short video of the first flight  Dan Banjock, Mike Palko, Shawn Cook. Several other flights took place. We had a total of 5 flying by the end of the day and that was getting very carried away. When the inverted flights start having two or three inverted and the others upright, it becomes a recipe for lawn darts. Everything went off without a hitch with the exception of my Ringmaster. I broke the overflow vent when I tried to bend it back after I discovered it was bent from a mishap caused weeks ago. It had a leak that just couldn't be fixed at the field and it had me parked in the pits.   https://www.facebook.com/PhillyFliersCL/videos/vb.513140418756097/912546495482152/?type=2&theater  Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Control line action at Fort Jackson - an inside the circle video Empty Re: Control line action at Fort Jackson - an inside the circle video

Post  larrys4227 Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:39 am

Ken - I saw that 3-man Ring-a-thon video .... very cool!

Glad all of you had a great time!

I went over to Palmetto and flew with the guys there. Only 3 of us flying ... the other 5-6 guys sat around talking and staying hydrated. It was hot as blazes by 10AM .... and by noon, we all packed up and headed home.
larrys4227
larrys4227
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:08 pm

Good to see you have added one more to the fun ! what is he flying ? I see Wayne is still reaming it out , same ole stuff here no fling but getting some building in . Enjoyed the vid Ken looks like you guys were having a blast ! Eric Babe Bee
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:06 pm

Yeah, those dudes in Philly really know how to have some fun. And have been at it long enough to have grown into a collective gold mine of modeling knowledge, and they spread it wherever they go. We're lucky, one of their formers is now with us, and in the picture I posted above. I'll get back tonight with some more riveting story telling Lol.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:06 am

Here's a flight of the Rescue Nobler, shot from inside the circle. I wanted to get a look at my posture and handle work. I can see that both are inconsistent. I need to lean back against the plane more so I can give it more authority. I've known that for a while, I just forget important things while I'm flying.  Sometimes it looks like it's flying me. And my handle movements are erratic. Granted, the wind never dropped below 10 kts according to my sail plane-flying flying buddies. It's a pretty interesting look at what I'm doing during a flight.

I think I need to open the cooling vents even more, as it leans out pretty soon. But I ran faster than I would on a calmer day too. I also still need to install the pressure tap on the muffler, which will help.

https://youtu.be/3R4p52QBAzY

I also shot a video like this of me flying the Magnum. It's a sucky flight, all except for the landing. I'm now getting a couple of good ones out of every 10 tries with the Nobler. I always land the Magnum better, with it's wing-mounted pavement gear.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:39 am

Well it did look like it was working you ,,, I would think that it would take time to change when you have a Good working pattern going on ?!?! I would start with just trying to lean back and enjoy the flight and Smile More lol! just my Two Cents though your the one in charge and fly much better than I do , if your neck hurts like mine it would be hard to implement  a smile with something tugging at me , I am concerned about what its going to be like when I ever do get to larger planes ? Thanks for sharing . Eric Affraid or WOW!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  larrys4227 Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:45 am

When I am flying real well and focused ... I seem to really attack the maneuver and purposely fly the plane with authority. (Planets needs to be aligned ... and a Claritan seems to help with my state of mind. LOL!)  I also notice my body differences .... flying well, my feet are alot further apart and my knees are bent. My arm is also straighter and almost as if I'm painting a picture.  

When I'm lazy, I notice alot more wrist-flicking and being off balance.  It's noticeable on maneuvers such as the exit to level flight on a wingover, when I'm scampering to untie my feet and catch up with the plane.

I was told awhile ago that the best way to start a good flight is before the plane is even released. One foot in front of the other ... a good stance with knees bent and leaning forward at the waist.  Aim your arm right at the plane and signal release .... the take off is suppose to be gradual and this helps .... and it starts you right at the get go to attack the maneuver. With that said ... its hard for me to do that because I fly by myself with a stooge.  But I do remember it because the good fliers that I've seen ... start their flights in a similar manner.

I'm certainly far from an expert and I have no right to criticize anothers flight performance.  It does 'seem' that your off balance and the plane is flying you .... and thats all the critique I'm worthy of providing .... Wink Wink
larrys4227
larrys4227
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:42 am

getback wrote:...I would start with just trying to lean back and enjoy the flight and Smile More lol! just my Two Cents though your the one in charge and fly much better than I do , if your neck hurts like mine it would be hard to implement  a smile with something tugging at me...Eric Affraid or WOW!

larrys4227 wrote:When I am flying real well and focused ... I seem to really attack the maneuver and purposely fly the plane with authority.... When I'm lazy, I notice alot more wrist-flicking and being off balance.  It's noticeable on maneuvers such as the exit to level flight on a wingover, when I'm scampering to untie my feet and catch up with the plane.

I was told awhile ago that the best way to start a good flight is before the plane is even released. One foot in front of the other ... a good stance with knees bent and leaning forward at the waist....  It does 'seem' that your off balance and the plane is flying you .... and that's all the critique I'm worthy of providing .... Wink Wink

Eric, I do grin when I'm zinging my little ones around or sport flying my Yak-9, but here I am concentrating, making smiles less frequent. Yes my neck does cause not only pain but is pressing on my spinal cord causing nerve interruption to everything below it whenever I look up. That's only going to get worse, and probably soon, because looking up is the worst thing I can do to aggravate it. But I can either stop flying(my main source of fun), or take it to the limit... guess which I chose.

Larry, same here, I need to lean back and fly like I'm the boss. Lol maybe I need lead underwear to help me hang onto it. I only weigh 125 lbs, and that's dropping lately. On rare calmer days, I can run the plane over 5 seconds and fly a decent relaxing pattern with flat bottoms. I'm getting better in the wind, though not evident here. Watch my V8 walk away in the second half. And my fighting in the OH8 on both sides. I usually do a decent Hourglass. Here I'm running under 5 second laps, I think. I quit timing it and just do what's necessary for the conditions.

Thanks for the critique, that's what I wanted, and it's all obvious. Lucky for me, it's never been as windy at a contest as it is at the Fort... except my first crack at Beginner in October 2013.

Keepin' at it,
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  larrys4227 Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:49 pm

Thats the ticket Rusty.... be the boss!!! Widen the stance and bend the knees. Always helps me to take command when I do that.

I know what to do ... but then doing it and putting it all together at the same time is a challenge. If I keep trying then my hope is that it will become second nature and i don't have to think about it. But its the repetition of doing all the right things flight after flight .... its a challenge that most non control line folks can't understand. Its alot of work and mentally draining.

I thought I had one of my best recent flights on Saturday.... 3-4 rc guys walked to my circle just after firing up the p-40. They were directly downwind about 10feet outside the circle. I tried really hard that flight ... and i remember the feel of my body with legs planted and just attacking the flight. No .... i wasn't freakin' smiling ... LOL!

After the flight .... they were really impressed. The 1st maneuver is what they talked about most. They expected the reverse wingover to go to upright ... when I pulled inverted ... they thought that was the coolest thing. I guess we are all used to it .... but somebody new standing 10feet away watching a quick move 6 feet off the deck in the opposite direction they expect is an attention getter.

Yeah ... i was showboating for an audience.. i don't get people that close very often, but i could feel the difference in my performance and that's what i try to duplicate. Its hard to keep the adrenaline and pulse pumping experience time after time.

Thanks for letting me yak away at the things i think about when flying ... Smile good thread.... Thumbs Up
larrys4227
larrys4227
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down