Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Latest engine restoration- really off topic. Cox_ba12

Latest engine restoration- really off topic. Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by MauricioB Today at 7:39 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by getback Today at 7:00 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Today at 2:52 am

» WHO NEEDS TANKS!!!?? Perfect Brand Tanks For Sale
by DanMc Yesterday at 9:07 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by roddie Yesterday at 9:02 pm

» Piston to Cylinder - what's a good fit, what's bad?
by mike in SC Yesterday at 7:42 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:09 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Yesterday at 5:13 pm

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 2:51 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Yesterday at 2:07 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by cstatman Yesterday at 2:03 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by GTO455 Yesterday at 2:01 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Latest engine restoration- really off topic. Empty
Live on Patrol

Latest engine restoration- really off topic.

Go down

Latest engine restoration- really off topic. Empty Latest engine restoration- really off topic.

Post  Oldenginerod Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:36 pm

Been rebuilding an engine a little different to what we normally see on these pages.  I really enjoy putting together something like this. 302 Ford Windsor.
Latest engine restoration- really off topic. 100_4710
Latest engine restoration- really off topic. 100_4711
Owner picked it up this morning & will probably get it fitted some time today. Going in a domestic Aussie 1965 fairlane.
Then it's my job to get it all plumbed & wired up, distributor timed and fire her up.
Did just about everything. Fully machined, 4V heads, duel plane Edelbrock manifild & 4bbl Holley 600, Power-Master cam, indexed timing gears, HEI distributor, plus lots of "Bling". Here's hoping all goes well on the test run.

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Latest engine restoration- really off topic. Empty Re: Latest engine restoration- really off topic.

Post  Marleysky Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:53 pm

WHOOOwee, that thar is one dandy looking engine ! I'm not into fords enough to oooo it's a Windsor or, Aaaahhh, it's a Cleveland. I know there's a difference, but not sure what. I do know I got up close and personable with the 5.0l in my 89 mercury when I replaced the water pump all the way down to the timing gears and chain and back. Hope to get her to roll over 300k in the near future.
Sure would enjoy hearing the rumpty, rump, rumpty, idle of the open headers of that 302!
You do very nice building work there ole engine Rod! cheers
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Latest engine restoration- really off topic. Empty what is it? a Cox 22,000

Post  happydad Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:05 pm

Oldenginerod wrote:Been rebuilding an engine a little different to what we normally see on these pages.  I really enjoy putting together something like this.  302 Ford Windsor.
Latest engine restoration- really off topic. 100_4710
Owner picked it up this morning & will probably get it fitted some time today.  Going in a domestic Aussie 1965 fairlane.
Then it's my job to get it all plumbed & wired up, distributor timed and fire her up.
Did just about everything.  Fully machined, 4V heads, duel plane Edelbrock manifild & 4bbl Holley 600, Power-Master cam, indexed timing gears, HEI distributor, plus lots of "Bling".  Here's hoping all goes well on the test run.

Rod.

Rod: what Cox engine is that? a Cox 22,000cc.?

happydad RC Plane          Futaba Radio Jeep
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Latest engine restoration- really off topic. Empty Re: Latest engine restoration- really off topic.

Post  Oldenginerod Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:53 pm

happydad wrote:

Rod: what Cox engine is that? a Cox 22,000cc.?

happydad RC Plane          Futaba Radio Jeep
No, only a small one at 4,900cc.  Actually, with my failing eyes and lack of dexterity in my fingers a job like this is in some ways easier than working on a Cox.  There are a few more moving parts though.
The customer kept showing up with more shiny parts to bolt on.  It certainly won't make huge horsepower, but it sure looks fast. cheers
Spent more time cleaning and painting parts than I did assembling it.  My cousin's husband (huge Mopar fan) works in an engine machine shop so I got an extra careful & thorough job done.  Can't wait to hear it rumble.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:38 am

Nice Job Rod.
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:08 am

Marleysky wrote:
Sure would enjoy hearing the rumpty, rump, rumpty, idle of the open headers of that 302!
This one will travel low and slow, with the cam grind designed to be torquey & smooth, developing it's power down low.
Unlike another vehicle I have here.  A 5lt (308) GM V8 (local variety) as fitted to a domestic Holden "Ute".  This thing is wild.  It has been here for about a year.  ("In-between" job).  Rebuilt the diff.  Had huge chassis cracks welded around the rear axle mounts. Replaced clutch & flywheel (Racing type). Removed and re-gasketed/sealed the engine.  Replaced engine mounts which had been twisted up by the extra power.  New high performance headers not yet connected to any exhaust system.  Man, does that thing bark, and bite.  Huge lumpy-cam idle at about 1,200 rpm.  Sounds like something you'd see on the drag strip.

Hope I'm not boring people.  While I'm not into high performance as such, I do appreciate a nice engine.  
I figured that if Jim can ask about his GE Softwater unit (I actually have no idea what that is), my story is fine for this forum.

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:36 am

Sweet !!! Nice restoration there Rod , While I am not a big ford fan Pretty is Pretty ! Hope she don't give no problems with the shake down . Eric Babe Bee .049
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:01 am

Boring Rod?  Heck that's eye candy to me.  I had one of those in my 1969 Mustang which was my wifes daily driver for years.    

I have neve tackled anything more complicated than an 1800 MGB motor.  Although I did a cosmetic on my 1974 1275 Midget.

Latest engine restoration- really off topic. Engine%20008_zpslrytw19a
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:56 am

Not boring to me
As a much younger man I was the guy to come to for small block Ford V8 builds in what ever place I was stationed

Never got to play with a flat head and still on my bucket list

I got the passion for SB Ford because almost every one I knew was buying the other brand hot rods and really disrespecting Ford's

I had decided to put a particular guy in his pace... He had a GTO with a BB in it

My 65 Ranchero 289 needed about 450 HP to stomp him and that build started it all

later I met a lot of guys with strange ideas for morphing large engines in very small cars and I was usually enlisted as the engine guy

Example a Chevy 283 into a Opal GT...... fabbing the headers was a royal PITA

Also helped put a 77 Caddy body on a Ford Bronco chassis for a 4x4 caddy morph....fun project

Ex wife trashed my entire photo collection from those years ....evil bit------!

fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgetful John Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:02 am

You have done very well!
Forgetful John
Forgetful John
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fit90 Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:18 am

Rod,

I think that is quite welcome here. Personally, I think it is big time eye candy. I even drool a little over such clean work as yours. It makes me miss working as an aircraft mechanic.

Fred,

I feel for you with regard to the ex-wife thing. Mine made off with most of my log books totaling several thousand hours of flight time. If I am ever able to purchase or build a plane (probably not, but still hoping) that might pose some issues for insurance rates.
fit90
fit90
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:34 am

Fit same here lost the log books and all the training certificates and the Army sport flying club closed so no way to get copies...

Rods engine build is great for bringing back good times

I hope this thread has a lot more interest and other great stories
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:20 pm

Just to string out the story a little, the reason I got this job was because I did a rebuild on a 289 for this guy's father about three years ago.  Nowhere near as pretty.  Full mechanical rebuild but only gave it a rough coat of Ford blue- he wasn't after a show car.  That guy goes cruising around every other day because he just likes the rumble.  He called in here about every week for six months just to tell me how nice it was & how much he enjoyed driving around.  Here's my son on his way to a school formal.  
Latest engine restoration- really off topic. 100_3810
Guy was happy to drive him & his date to the dance & show off the car.
Latest engine restoration- really off topic. 100_3811
The guy's son was so impressed he went out & got the same model car & has done a full ground-up rebuild, but he wanted it far prettier than his dad's.  I'd hate to think how much it's gonna cost once it's finished.  I think it's one of those jobs where you reach your budget and then stop counting. lol!
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Latest engine restoration- really off topic. Empty V8 Vega

Post  706jim Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:55 pm

Well, the title says "Off topic" so this should fit in well with that theme.

Our city has an annual "circus" and many years ago, would offer a nightly attendance draw of.....a new car.

My 18 year old brother attended one night in 1971 and was the lucky winner of an orange Chevy Vega.

These "giveaway cars" were the cheapest, totally stripped vehicles that could be purchased for reasons that seem obvious now. After all they gave away something like 7 cars over the week and we are not a large city.

The Vega came with an awful 4 cylinder aluminum block engine and in this case, hooked up to a three speed manual on the floor. There wasn't even an ash tray, floor mats or glove box in this car.

So, totally out of the character he has since become, brother dear wanted to stuff a small block Chevy into his "free" car after he had owned it for about two years.

As a result, we created probably the first V8 Vega in our city.

We used a mildy warmed over 283 driving a 3 speed automatic and bought a kit containing headers, motor mounts and not much else.

The end result was a car that was quite fast, couldn't corner or go over railroad tracks without bottoming out and which tended to overheat. In this configuration, the Vega was approximately equivalent to your typical 396 Chevelle or GTO.

After a year or so (for reasons that escape me at this time) we stuffed a 327 into the car (punched out to be about a 340ci) and put deeper gears into the (stock!!!) rear end.

Now the car had enough power to spin the rear wheels at 60mph and brother wisely sold the car.

Certainly an interesting experience for the two of us.
706jim
706jim
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:03 am

These wheels are super rare around here, they were factory on a 64 Ford Galaxy500XL I owned.
The car had fantastic trim inside and out, 390 engine highway cruiser.

Latest engine restoration- really off topic. Wheel_10
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:36 pm

They were a common wheel out here on 60s & early 70s Fords. Affectionately known as the "Twelve-Slotter". Reproductions are still readily available as are the caps.
Our 60s Fairlanes were very similar to the Galaxy only smaller. Based on a Ford Falcon with a stretched weel-base.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  cox24711 Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:31 pm

ahhhhhh Fairlanes Very Happy Cool there is a guy who lives in our town and he has one on airbags and a blown v8 but its a sleeper (I can tell its blown because of the supercharger wine!) Thumbs Up
cox24711
cox24711
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:54 am

Well I thought it was time for an update.  I do this stuff for a living so naturally it takes priority over my hobbys, so as long as I stay busy doing this stuff, my building & flying time suffers.  Bob's Mustang story prompted me.

Well the owner got the Windsor dropped in the slot and mostly plumbed up.  I went around a couple of weeks ago to install the HEI distributor, make & fit custom plug leads and then fire it up.  First priority once running was to run-in the new cam.  That required 20 minutes running at 2,000 rpm.  With no exhaust fitted I knew it would be pretty loud.  Well, I didn't have to worry.  I lined that distributor up and slotted it in place as carefully as I could, checked the firing order illustration in my tune-up manual, primed with fuel, went to crank & the battery was dead.  Turns out the owner had charged it on the 6 volt setting.  

At this stage, the owner and his dad were there watching.  Then his girlfriend showed up.  Seems that he'd spread the word.  Younger brother showed up so hooked up his 4X4 with jumper cables.  Primed with fuel, cranked it over and "bang".  Timing wrong and backfiring.  He'd moved the crank when installing the engine so maybe it wasn't TDC on No.1.  Out with No.1 plug, check for TDC firing stroke, out with the distributor, recheck, back in, recheck firing order and "bang". Same thing.  By now, mum had come out to watch, and dad and brother were getting impatient so there were a few brews starting to go down.  Oh yeah, little brother's girfriend shows up.  Everyone's watching me try to figure this thing out, and it's getting dark.  Lots of phones out taking pictures of me work. I don't want this on Facebook! DAMMIT!
What's going on here?  Did they supply me an EFI cam by mistake?  They have a different firing order.  OK, try the EFI firing order.  No better.  Really getting frustrated.  Dad & brother starting to get a bit jolly after their few more brews.  The neighnours had showed up by now.  They brought a cheese platter.  What a party, and I'm the centre of attention for all the wrong reasons.  I had an audience of nine.  

Well, I called it quits at about 8.30pm when the mosquitos started to really bother us.  Didn't get back for a week or so & owner really wanted to hear this thing run.  So the other morning, just him & me this time. Distributor out, recheck TDC, recheck No.1 position, recheck firing order in a different book.  Affraid or WOW! What?  That's not what the first book said!  The illustration showed the distributor cap with an anti-clockwise arrow- correct, but on closer inspection, the cap was numbered clockwise.  The book was wrong!  Swapped the cables and bingo, fired straight up. Quick check of timing and radiator and off we went to run in the cam.  The owner just sat in the driver's seat for the whole 20 minutes of run-in with the biggest grin on his face.  I suggested ear protection but he was in heaven Thumbs Up

Anyway, to cut a long story short, all is well.  No leaks, no glitches, no smoke, all gauges work- couldn't ask for better.  

I think he's sleeping in the car, still with that huge silly grin on his face.  Just waiting for registration so we can test drive it.  I hope he lets me drive.  Huh...

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:44 am

Oldenginerod wrote:They were a common wheel out here on 60s & early 70s Fords.  Affectionately known as the "Twelve-Slotter".  Reproductions are still readily available as are the caps.
Our 60s Fairlanes were very similar to the Galaxy only smaller.  Based on a Ford Falcon with a stretched weel-base.

Pretty common caps over here too Rod.

Latest engine restoration- really off topic. Mustan16

I enjoyed your timing story, I have had my problems in that arena too. But you did everything right, who would have thought that the book could be wrong. There are just so many reference materials available, it has to happen at times. I think Brooklands are best for the Brits. but I mostly use Chiltons. You still have to be careful due to manufacturing changes and yearly integrations.

Bob

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:02 pm

Thought it was about time I updated this thread.  Here's the finished product.
Latest engine restoration- really off topic. 100_4917Latest engine restoration- really off topic. 100_4916
Engine in the slot.  His attention to detail isn't quite what mine would be.
Latest engine restoration- really off topic. 100_4914
Custom dash.  Full gauges with GPS speedo.  All the woodgrain on dash & doors has been done with brushed stainless steel.
Latest engine restoration- really off topic. 100_4915Latest engine restoration- really off topic. 100_4918
Engraved with "Tinkerbell" on the dash to match the "Tink" registration plates.
Latest engine restoration- really off topic. 100_4919
Had me tricked initially.  "Tink" being for Tinkerbell, being a fairy.  Apparently some call a Fairlane a "Fairy", hence Tinkerbell.
"67" is obviously the year it was made.  Same model as his dad's car which is the blue one in my previous posts.

Rod.

Last edited by Oldenginerod on Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:29 pm

What a great story! My wife has told me that her dad always used to ask; "who wrote the book".. whenever she cited some fact. Having a firing-order be incorrect in a manual is just heinous.

When I was high-school age (1978 grad.).. my friend bought a 1966 Ford Fairlane GT390/4sp. trans. I knew the car from years earlier. I'd say around 1970.. when another guy had it.. and bracket-raced on the road I lived on. I was ten years old.. and I remember my dad getting [bleep] when they were staging after a run or two.. and walking down the street with a garden rake in his hand yelling.. MOVE OUT! (remember it like it was yesterday..)

My friend later beat the lips off that car".. He often ran "Cam2 racing fuel".
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:23 am

I will explain further.  The reason I had the car back was to repair some damage.  The brand new Holley carb I fitted had a "flat spot" just off the mark.  I suggested he took it to a place with a dyno and exhaust gas analyser.  He did, explaining to them that he wasn't after maximum output as that is not what it was built for.  Just fix the jetting issue & get it accelerating smooth.
They rang him and said to bring a tilt-tray to take it away.  At 170 KMH (105 MPH) the front u-joint in the prop shaft popped, bending the prop shaft and tearing the extension housing off of the rear of the trans.  Then they charged him for the time it had been on the dyno. Thumbs Down
I had a new prop shaft made and fitted a replacement housing- everything looked ok apart from several dents in the floorpan.  Drove ok but wouldn't shift out of 1st unless I pulled the stick down to 2nd.  Drop it back in drive and it went into neutral.  Trucked it off to the guy who rebuilt the C4 trans and it's cracked the main trans case internally.  Needs a new case plus whatever else they find.
DAMMIT!
Owner is not happy Blow up Mad!
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down