Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

What is the most oil and nitro resistant covering? - Page 2 Cox_ba12

What is the most oil and nitro resistant covering? - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by roddie Today at 9:36 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by F4D Phantom II Today at 9:33 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by Kim Today at 8:53 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by MauricioB Today at 8:45 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by GTO455 Today at 8:11 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 7:29 am

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:51 pm

» EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» I brake for Turtles....
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:38 pm

» Ball - Socket Joints
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:06 pm

» A little nostalgia…
by MauricioB Yesterday at 2:32 pm

» A new useful transport vehicle
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 10:32 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

What is the most oil and nitro resistant covering? - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

What is the most oil and nitro resistant covering?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What is the most oil and nitro resistant covering? - Page 2 Empty Re: What is the most oil and nitro resistant covering?

Post  fredvon4 Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:39 am

Marleysky wrote:Hey Fred, just what is your blending ratio on that Jack and Coke?  Warm

On reading this morning... the last sentences would indicate a stiff blend....Huh... lol! Beer Cheers Shh
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

What is the most oil and nitro resistant covering? - Page 2 Empty Re: What is the most oil and nitro resistant covering?

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:00 pm

Here we have EPA and the various state environmentals, too. Laws on disposal have become more complex, making disposal in some locations difficult or expensive. These have driven up the cost of the better stuff available years ago. I've never covered a CL aircraft entirely in plastic film but next one will be just that. Others like Dane are doing it successfully, so there's no reason why I cannot. It just means that I arrange the assembling together differently.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:57 pm

I'm a dyed in the wool dope modeler. I have somewhat switched up my methods over the years. I have mentioned this on more than one occasion in dope discussions that Sig Lite Coat is by far the most resistant to fuel. Sig Lite Coat is not the same as Supercoat. Lite Coat is as thick as honey when you get it. There's enough dope in the bottle to make more than double the amount. It's also the CLEAREST of clears. It won't properly shrink your covering if used therefore Supercoat needs to be applied first. Over the past few years, I have switched my methods to water based crosslinked polyurethane from Nelson Hobby. Jerry Nelson sold the company a few years ago and the new owner hasn't been to receptive to my requests. I purchase the product directly from Systems 3. Systems 3 https://systemthree.com/collections/paint-varnish/products/water-reducible-linear-polyurethane-topcoat now offers small amounts with the crosslinker. I use nitrate dope for a base. This won't work butyrate dope as it will shed off. It takes a lot of practice to master this stuff as it's the most different paint I have ever used. It's thin as water and will run all over if not properly applied. I have found this product to be very fuel proof up to 45% nitro. The more humid the weather, the better this stuff works, it shines better and has a bit more open time. It can be recoated in 15 minutes. I have noticed that over the past 7 years of using it, it has stood up far superior to any dope jobs I have witnessed. A little goes forever. It thins with water preferably distilled water and a sponge brush.

This paint takes a lot of practice but in the end, I have never had anything hold up to the rigors of this hobby as this stuff. You will dispose of more paint than what you actually use until you understand how far a little goes. It mixes and blends with other colors unlike any paint I have ever used. Unfortunately, it will run like crazy until one understands it's properties. It has to go on with water color like consistency building the paint in layers vs coating the model. You put it on and brush from one end to the other. You don't go back into the work. This paint requires multiple coats 5-6 but they need to be done in succession.

I have witnessed over the years in the hobby and on the forums those that try all kinds of experimentation. I know what works for me and I also know what does work and what works the best. I have seen no mention of this type of paint. I have had at least 50 models done in this fashion and it works well. Out of the bottle, 10% fuel generally fairs well, add the crosslinker and the coats are impervious to high nitro such as what is generally used in 1/2A. I coat with nitrate dope first and go to a white base followed by colors and then clear. Don't use butyrate dope of lacquer based primers with this product. it won't work.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:21 pm

Thanks for the link, Ken, I'd never heard of that stuff before, but seems like some really good stuff, water based too, which is particularly interesting, reasonably priced too considering. Does the clear go over well with water slide decals, the ones that come in old kits requiring fuel proofer no longer available?
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:00 pm

I have used it successfully over the old type water slide decals. No prepping, just placed directly over the top. I used a sponge brush and would give them multiple swipes. Jim Damerell from Garden State Circle Burners uses Auto Air colors for his beautifully finished stunters. Jim has been using these paints for quite some time. Here's a pic of one of Jim's latest.    Jim's is the orange and blue model https://www.facebook.com/PhillyFliersCL/photos/a.605410626195742.1073741847.513140418756097/1122510254485774/?type=3&theater

I have never used Auto Air colors. He always tells me to use it as they have a lot more color choices. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:25 pm

The waterslide decals I use are for inkjet printers and I guess that ink is water based. So maybe that makes it pretty inert for solvent contact. I don't know if I'd brush one though, it might smear the ink. Try it on a test decal first.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2