Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

A "hurlable" Fox .15? - Page 3 Cox_ba12

A "hurlable" Fox .15? - Page 3 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by balogh Today at 12:55 am

» Original Box for P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer Value
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 11:09 pm

» Cox P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» thread measurements
by MauricioB Yesterday at 5:33 pm

» Cox Thompson Trophy Winner
by Jerry Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» COX 010 TeeDee with RC carb, courtesy sosam 117
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:08 pm

» "Me and Crazy Horse...Our Anniversary"
by fit90 Yesterday at 2:52 pm

» a cheap sport muffler
by robot797 Yesterday at 1:34 pm

» OS 10FSR Carb Needed
by Cougar 429 Yesterday at 1:14 pm

» AP .061 Hornet
by F4D Phantom II Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:01 pm

» dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others
by rsv1cox Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:46 pm

» Re-manufactured Enya .06-II for Boats13
by Boats13 Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:32 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

A "hurlable" Fox .15? - Page 3 Empty
Live on Patrol

A "hurlable" Fox .15?

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

A "hurlable" Fox .15? - Page 3 Empty Re: A "hurlable" Fox .15?

Post  rsv1cox Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:37 pm

GWILLIEFOX wrote:I don't know how you could have offended anyone Bob.  This is one of the most civil Forums on the Web.

As to the 09II, just because something is advertised doesn't mean it was actually made as pictured.

Yes.

Your's is an excellent example too. Did you receive it in that condition or did you have to clean it up? Both of mine as marked are well used, one more-so than the other. Funny that they switched bearers for the cast MIJ from the 3001 then later in the production cycle dropped it all together.

I still have to compare specs from the .09II instructions that you posted with the later 09II instructions that I have.

Bob

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:58 am

OK...I made this post just to see where these "greenies" etc. come from. Still don't know. I have never (intentionally) rated someone's comment. Hope I didn't do it by accident.

We all make comments that some agree with and perhaps others disagree with. Sometimes the words we write can be taken multiple ways.

Apologies if I have offended someone with my comments...that was not my intention.

George

Edit: Guess I should have looked further...Admin has posted a good explanation about how the ratings work.
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GWILLIEFOX Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:34 am

Bob, I didn't do anything but cleanup. My Fox engine collection is pretty much complete. I am fascinated by other engines, like you Enya amount them. Back when I got into propo RC with my Heathkit I started with an OS Max 40. About a year later Enya 45s were the engine of choice and I put one into my Sterling Lancer faux F84. It was a superb engine, perfect fits, running, and finish.

Since I got into collecting, I have restored a large number of Enya from their 049 through the old Typhoon 63. While some looked terrible and had been externally hacked up, the compression and fits were almost always marvelous. They are a top notch engine!
GWILLIEFOX
GWILLIEFOX
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:06 pm

Surfer_kris wrote:Yes, Enya engines are great!
In particularly I'm very fond of their AAN and ABC versions, here are some of mine;

A "hurlable" Fox .15? - Page 3 Img_1313

A "hurlable" Fox .15? - Page 3 Img_0910
Embarassed

As long as we are all talking about Enya's :
Surfer Kris's post shows a Enya 049II TV on the bottom of the right hand stack of boxes. IS this a really rare, fairly rare or very common engine?  Your picture shows a tag from Ripmax Hobby, the one I have has only Japanese writing on the instructions. I seller I purchased it from indicated it was a uncommon engine not imported to the USA, as the copy came from a friend of his who bought it while in Japan. Just wondering cause I
Haven't seen many out and about!
And what do you guys think of this one:  

A "hurlable" Fox .15? - Page 3 Image10
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

A "hurlable" Fox .15? - Page 3 Empty another Fred resurrection... move on if tired of my being bored

Post  fredvon4 Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:57 pm

Long time ago OldEngineRod said:
"I admire everyone's loyalty to your American made, particularly Fox, products, and I know that there are many here who love to fly their Foxs, but from all the negative stuff about them that I glean from the things written here, I really don't see why you would persist when you have engines of such exceptional build quality available out of Japan, being Enya & O.S."

"I'm glad to have a few in my collection, but I really fail to understand why they are held in such high esteem."

Re = Fox engine NOSTALGIA

Especially the Fox .35 stunt.... agreed that there are a great many who came and also now gone alternatives;  VECO/K&B/Johnson/Enya/McCoy

and agreed that the competitors were numerous and slightly different in cost or quality  such as McCoy .35

One of the facts that can not be terribly disputed is the low weight Fox .35 with a characteristic 4-2-4 run was usually a perfect engine for some KIT built stunt model....and a great many kits were designed around the Fox .35

Dad and I were firstly Cheap (to buy) McCoy users, and to some degree (cuz we got a free one) Enya 5224 .35 users...

I remember My Dad thought the PX price for a Fox (1959) at $5.95 was too expensive ( vs the McCoy Red head .35 at $ 3.95)

Eventually I won a new Fox .35 (1972) as a 3rd place prize at a local combat contest.  I remember my dad (now with one in hand) being mildly impressed

As was usual for him, and a trait I developed, he read and re-read the instructions many times before we fired it up.

To this day I much prefer to use OS Max FP and LA series .20~.46 engines but have several models with various stunt Fox .35s and combat .36s...

One plane a purely Nostalgia Sterling S-1 Ring master, with a very easy to run Fox .35 and distinct 4-2-4 break is still the most fun to fly model I have

High Esteem, IMO comes from the basic Fox .35 engine...rough as it is...works as designed, well cared for and fed is very reliable,

I only have 75 engines in my merger collection from basic early Cox .049 ( $2.75) to 2014 Nelson Combat N36c ($395)

in this collection are some deliberately sourced "builder" specialty Fox, and other so called great engines that cost a buck or two to get and play with

BUT the Fox .35 plane and engine is the only acquisition that ALWAYS bring me back to 1959 helping and playing with my dad

Now if I could just source the fuel that smelled like boot polish, I could re-live 1960 all over again on Taiwan
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:28 pm

I have that fuel with nitrobenzene in it. I have only a little bit of it left. While it's stated it's a known carcinogen, I can't think of it anymore worse for you then the dope thinners and methanol. Both elements which can be absorbed through the skin. I was using the nitrobenzene for a racing event we were doing with no limitations on nitro or fuel.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:00 pm

Ken Cook wrote:           I have that fuel with nitrobenzene in it. I have only a little bit of it left. While it's stated it's a known carcinogen, I can't think of it anymore worse for you then the dope thinners and methanol. Both elements which can be absorbed through the skin. I was using the nitrobenzene for a racing event we were doing with no limitations on nitro or fuel.

I did a few searches on nitrobenzene.. and nitrobenzene as an additive to model-engine fuel. Nitrobenzene (by itself..) is still available and is used extensively in the pharmaceutical industry. It's supposedly still used to custom-blend model-fuel in countries that do not import nitro-methane.

I just re-read a chapter in my Harry Higley's "Harry's Handbook for Miniature Engines" book; chapter 5 on fuel. The paragraph entitled "Don't Experiment" is quite interesting.. and name's nitrobenzene as an ingredient in a product that was known as "polyoxide-oil" which also contained propylene oxide. It was supposed to lubricate and then burn.. but apparently its ability to lubricate was marginal.

The nitro-methane found in our model-fuels is actually mono-nitro-methane.. not to be confused with tetra-nitro-methane; a yellow solid which mixes with alcohol.. and has highly toxic combustion-wastes.

Ken, what was/is your brand of fuel that contained the nitrobenzene? Was it once commercially available or custom-blended?

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:21 pm

Roddie, I received the fuel from a fellow flyer who now is in his mid 70's. He competed in many events over the years. He had a friend who's name escapes me but this individual was well known back in the 60's. This individual did a lot of chroming of engine cylinders. He passed away many years ago and this is fuel he used to mix. I used to collect vintage beer cans and if you've ever seen cone top steel cans, this is what it's stored in.  I believe the fuel was very similar to a commercially blended racing fuel Francisco Fuel. I probably have a little over a pint left. I did however find a Klotz product which works very similar with a Klotz trademark known as Koolinal. It's marketed today as Klotz nitro power additive and it uses nitropropane. I don't go overboard with this stuff, just a ounce to a quart. It works, it smells but it can be fun experimenting.

I consistently run high nitro fuels in engines that can tolerate it. I've keyed back over the years due to the fact that it just isn't cost effective. I have experimented with Propylene Oxide usually when were flying Dyna Jets. Any residual fuel leftover gets flown out in glow engines when using glow fuels. During those times were on asphalt circles and I usually have my 1/2A speed stuff and others. The Dyna Jets run on a variety of fuels from Coleman fuel to gasoline and the current AMA fuel which is methanol and nitro. We add Propylene Oxide as it just makes it work superior. Dyna Jets are a hobby in itself and while I own one of them, I don't fly it often as it can consume a entire day just in getting successful runs where we fly. I know the smell Fred is referring to and I don't make a habit of poor cleanup and smelling it.

Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:09 am

While I would certainly look a lot goofier that I do normally, I suppose I could open a Kiwi polish tin, swipe a bit under my nose, start and fly WITH the nostalgia smell.....Naw ! I don't think I want to look like Hitler flying

Grin
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:39 am

Ken Cook wrote:Roddie, I received the fuel from a fellow flyer who now is in his mid 70's. He competed in many events over the years. He had a friend who's name escapes me but this individual was well known back in the 60's. This individual did a lot of chroming of engine cylinders. He passed away many years ago and this is fuel he used to mix. I used to collect vintage beer cans and if you've ever seen cone top steel cans, this is what it's stored in.  I believe the fuel was very similar to a commercially blended racing fuel Francisco Fuel. I probably have a little over a pint left. I did however find a Klotz product which works very similar with a Klotz trademark known as Koolinal. It's marketed today as Klotz nitro power additive and it uses nitropropane. I don't go overboard with this stuff, just a ounce to a quart. It works, it smells but it can be fun experimenting.

I saved some web-photos of vintage fuel-cans.. and knew that I'd seen the Francisco name somewhere..

A "hurlable" Fox .15? - Page 3 Power_10
A "hurlable" Fox .15? - Page 3 Power_11
A "hurlable" Fox .15? - Page 3 Power_12
A "hurlable" Fox .15? - Page 3 Power_13
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum