Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

How to use the Quote option in any thread...another Fred Rant - Page 2 Cox_ba12

How to use the Quote option in any thread...another Fred Rant - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Stealth SB-X
by Admin Yesterday at 8:28 pm

» ST .35 STUNT / VOODOO / ZERO POINT ZERO NITRO
by TD ABUSER Yesterday at 7:45 pm

» SUPERTIGER .15 PROJECT
by TD ABUSER Yesterday at 7:42 pm

» For sale -- Cox Custom Carburetors for Tee Dee engines
by sosam117 Yesterday at 5:23 pm

» WHERE ARE YOU BUYING YOUR FUEL AND GLOW PLUGS...?
by TD ABUSER Yesterday at 4:35 pm

» Waiting for Engines from Ken Enya
by sosam117 Yesterday at 4:33 pm

» Unusual Cox 049 cylinder - Need help identifying
by anm2 Yesterday at 4:12 pm

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:57 pm

» What's the Best Reed for Cox Reed Valve Engines.
by roddie Yesterday at 1:37 pm

» Fuel choice
by 1975 control line guy Fri Aug 30, 2024 4:01 pm

» "Fall S.M.A.L.L." Video 3.
by GallopingGhostler Fri Aug 30, 2024 2:37 pm

» Gifted Fox
by Ken Cook Fri Aug 30, 2024 11:12 am

Cox Engine of The Month
August-2024
balogh's

"Cox TD09 R/C Beast of Burden featuring Kamtechnik head and DIY metallic fuel nipple"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

How to use the Quote option in any thread...another Fred Rant - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

How to use the Quote option in any thread...another Fred Rant

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Help! Quote Photo Bloat

Post  fredvon4 Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:27 am

Please Jacob  do not spend any time fussing with this

Just an old man rant in a challenged bandwidth environment

I assume most CEF members have enough bandwidth to not have to wait for many minuets for a thread to load

In my poorly written rant
I was only noting that it is not necessary for us to see the same image multiple times in the same thread.
..excepting in the cases where the post with the copied image now has an arrow or other notation

If my county ever comes into the 20th century (21st will be long after I am dead) I may be able to load more photos then I currently do
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Help! Re: How to use the Quote option in any thread...another Fred Rant

Post  rsv1cox Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:48 am

fredvon4 wrote:Please Jacob  do not spend any time fussing with this

Just an old man rant in a challenged bandwidth environment

I assume most CEF members have enough bandwidth to not have to wait for many minuets for a thread to load

In my poorly written rant
I was only noting that it is not necessary for us to see the same image multiple times in the same thread.
..excepting in the cases where the post with the copied image now has an arrow or other notation

If my county ever comes into the 20th century (21st will be long after I am dead) I may be able to load more photos then I currently do

So no Hughes Net in your future?  The Gen 5 is touted to be very fast.  Down side is the dish and all the associated stuff to make it function.  Install is supposed to be "free".

Bob

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:23 am

No sir....no sat based internet for us

firstly because I do not like their fair use policy and all sat based internet has some bandwidth slow down "fair use" policy
BUT an other reason is, Exceed and Huges are over sold in my area and not accepting new customers

The few folks I know that have Exceed or Hughs do not like the service and tell me the costs are too high for what you actually get

MY current ISP is Broad band based and their WiFi tower is 7.6 miles away...I am the furthest out customer so the 5Mbps down I pay for is usually choked down to 764 Kbps down on a good day but averages 364 Kbps most of the time

It is marginally better than the only other option, phone based DSL and about the same cost

I am on a waiting list for a new Broadband service in my area that promises a dedicated Static IP and reasonable rates for 5Mbps up and down... hopefully they can get to me this year

Fort Hood* has a contractor putting in a massive fiber network out to the west to Brady then up to San Angelo. The contractor has to put the fiber in Lampasas county and offers to place a Demark (central office ((CO)) for old skool guys).

They wanted concessions and infrastructure help and cash for the right of way. I thought it was a good deal for the town and county...but the elected butt heads passed on the offer

*Fort Hood Army training goes to many areas west of the Fort and needs more bandwidth than some of those very very rural counties can accommodate. Our tax dollars at work

fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:35 am

fredvon4 wrote:

At least you were able to upload this one Phred..   Cool  priceless! "I'll have a John Daniels on the rocks please.."

How to use the Quote option in any thread...another Fred Rant - Page 2 Freds_10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpVrGXLeYRs

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:27 pm

Yeah, love that picture of Fred too roddie. Fred enjoying life, cowboy hats, beer on the bar and "Campaign Carl" on the TV. Living large.

Thought of Fred awhile ago while watching Vice President Pense giving the Veterans Day speech at Arlington. Moving and eloquent. Specifically singled out the Vietnam Vets. Welcome home Fred!

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:36 pm

Guys

As many may not know, I served as 3rd generation soldier and then had two more careers.

BUT ---I was born to an Army Officer who literally took me to a barber well before I was 1 year old to start me on a 40+ year of life WITH A CREW CUT...or some other short hair variant

So from age zero, to age 41 when I retired from active duty, I had zero autonomy to my hair...yes within the Army regs I could have several styles and that is not the point...for first 41 years of my life SOMEONE always had a say about my BODY

I retaliated in some meager way by getting tatoos...yes childish but my small defiance within the Regs... grin....---Side note,,, would like to have all that cash back as I don't care much for most of my Tats

ON Jan 1 1996 I was officially place on retired rolls and declared out loud that I would never pay a Barber again except on my desire

I have been retired fro active duty over 20 years now and have had three crew cuts each time to deliberately support a VFW fund raiser ..."Pay to cut Fred's Hair" event and the long hair was donated initially to Locks of Love for cancer kids... but I learned how much they are over head and very little of that group actually helps kids. I found a local lady who actually makes the wigs and donates them to St Jude's...

That photo above was before the fund raiser.. we had several other VFW members have their hair cut also....and in all, we raised $2300 for the local food bank

The guy who buzz cut me...sorry no photo... paid 300 Bucks for the privilege...he hates my gutz and thought he was demeaning me... silly blowhard

I was honored today to be guest speaker at a county elementary school

Years ago I was at tomb of unknown on Nov 11th... very emotional experiance

You all be safe, and God Bless America

fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:17 pm

I gotta ask, Fred...

Is that the Applebee's in Lampasas? I ate there in March this year, and thought...that place looks familiar.
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:38 am

Closest Applebee's is in Copperas Cove 16 miles east of Lampasas,
Lampasas is a significantly restaurant challenged town with only McDonalds and Taco Bell type national franchises...There are a few local sit down restaurants, none very good

That photo was take in the Canteen of VFW Post 8539 Lampasas
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:30 pm

Regarding the previous post; I've had some really good times at various VFW halls in my area! Countless band-gigs over the years.. parties, weddings.. "Karaoke".. Smile American Legion halls too..
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:44 pm

Whoops...I was way off. I did eat at Applebee's. But it WAS Copperas Cove. Go out the Walmart entrance, turn left...go less than 1/4 mile, and it is on the right.

General Dynamics was hosting a signal equipment upgrade course for  Vets Day our unit on Ft Hood.

There was a biker club local chapter there that night. When I looked up the club, it appeared to be one that got started within the scope of "Hollister, CA." Their club mission is Widowed mothers with children, and veterans.

The Applebee's had lights around the bar, just like the picture. One of the bikers had a very similar hair style (lol), and one of the "younger" guys had a crew cut and brand new colors on his vest.

Your picture made me chuckle!
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content