Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

The Day the Music Died...for me Cox_ba12

The Day the Music Died...for me Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Stealth SB-X
by Admin Today at 8:28 pm

» ST .35 STUNT / VOODOO / ZERO POINT ZERO NITRO
by TD ABUSER Today at 7:45 pm

» SUPERTIGER .15 PROJECT
by TD ABUSER Today at 7:42 pm

» For sale -- Cox Custom Carburetors for Tee Dee engines
by sosam117 Today at 5:23 pm

» WHERE ARE YOU BUYING YOUR FUEL AND GLOW PLUGS...?
by TD ABUSER Today at 4:35 pm

» Waiting for Engines from Ken Enya
by sosam117 Today at 4:33 pm

» Unusual Cox 049 cylinder - Need help identifying
by anm2 Today at 4:12 pm

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by rsv1cox Today at 2:57 pm

» What's the Best Reed for Cox Reed Valve Engines.
by roddie Today at 1:37 pm

» Fuel choice
by 1975 control line guy Yesterday at 4:01 pm

» "Fall S.M.A.L.L." Video 3.
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 2:37 pm

» Gifted Fox
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 11:12 am

Cox Engine of The Month
August-2024
balogh's

"Cox TD09 R/C Beast of Burden featuring Kamtechnik head and DIY metallic fuel nipple"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

The Day the Music Died...for me Empty
Live on Patrol

The Day the Music Died...for me

Go down

The Day the Music Died...for me Empty The Day the Music Died...for me

Post  Kim Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:52 am

I didn't want to hijack roddie's thread with my sole contribution to "Groups Us Old Guys Loved".  

As a teenager, MY group was Creedence Clearwater Revival.  Their 'river and swamp songs' perfectly fit my mindset, growing up next to the Ohio River, and just about living it's backwater sloughs.  I had mostly 45's with the occasional highly treasured LP, but my main contact was my little Universal Brand 6 Transistor Radio, and CCR was on constantly through the late 1960's.

Without the instant media we enjoy today, Tiger Beat-type magazine and the occasional newspaper article were the main staples for finding out what was happening with musical groups.  Rumors, even from 'experts' were notoriously undependable, way before the term Urban Legends came along.

While struggling through school, I'd heard that CCR had broken up, but didn't want to believe it...crap like that seems incredibly trivial now, but it held a lot of sway back then.  I don't how I got the address, but at some point, sent off a fan letter, expressing my love for their songs, and hoping they'd continue to crank them out.

Amazingly enough, I received a typed, signed reply from John Fogerty's friend Jake Rohrer, confirming the end of Creedence Clearwater Revival.  I tucked it inside of my 'Green River' album, and found it recently during an 'Old Guy Moment' with a new turntable I'd bought.

Anyway, as the sole non-musician from a family of musicians, this is my only 'participation trophy' !!

The Day the Music Died...for me 1_210

The Day the Music Died...for me 1_1110

Last edited by Kim on Tue May 23, 2017 8:30 am; edited 2 times in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

The Day the Music Died...for me Empty Re: The Day the Music Died...for me

Post  Mark Boesen Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:06 am

...thats really cool!
I was a CCR fan as well, had a couple of their albums.
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:29 am

They are still my mother's favorite rock band. She, of course, is from the generation that suffered severe shock and awe at the coarse grating soundwaves created by the youngsters of the time. Some of her contemporaries embraced it. More avoided it like a plague amplified by the new portable radios everywhere, belching a new form of sound pollution like a mad pack of screeching monkeys around every corner. She and I still like to sit and listen to music, and she can still talk about it as well as some of us young 60 year olds. CCR has a sound that will last forever.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:46 am

Dad in Viet Nam and my Grand mother lived in Oakland CA where I went to school while dad did his thing for God n Country

Local band, The Blue Velvet's played a lot of high school Proms.... mostly a good mix of, at the time, popular Juke Box favorites but they did play their own stuff too

I have never...to this day...payed any real attention to who the band members were or are....BUT I did know Tom Fogerty from El Cerrito High

Because we lived all over the country and some foreign lands I was mildly amused that this band did the Bayou Cajun thing...but I loved it ---and ended up having a copy of everything CCR ever recorded

CCR
Rare Earth
Moody Blues
Jimmy Hendrix
Doors
Led Zepplin

Oh the memories!!!
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:32 pm

That letter is SO cool Kim! Despite the bad news Sad

In the eighties there was a Finnish band called the Hanoi Rocks. They covered "Up Around the Bend", I liked the song and started looking for the original version... No 'net so it was a lot like Kim described, rumors. CCR was not well known in Finland in the '60s, I am a bit younger and my mom and dad (both born in '49) were fans of the Beatles and the Rolling Stones respectively.

Well, once on the 9th grade or so we were on a field trip from school in the nearby city of Tampere. A couple of buddies and me snuck away from the art museum and slipped into a used-record store. For the equivalent of a couple of bucks I picked up a double-album of CCR hits. It is one of those highly non-collectible, cheap compilations, a bit scratched but it is "the" CCR record for me. I must have taped it for at least half a dozen buddies, and of course later on I played it in the cassette player of my first car for several thousand miles Smile

Here is my CCR collection. Nothing special, most of them are cheap "nice price" editions on flimsy mid-80s vinyl. I got so used to the order of songs on that double-LP that ot was hard for me to listen to a CD hit collection (not in the pic) that I got later.

The Day the Music Died...for me Image28

The Day the Music Died...for me Image29
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:00 pm

Kari, you just mentioned something that still irks me to no end. That is the original order of the songs on the LP. Some songs are meant to be back-to-back, and others just became known that way, and it just doesn't sound right to have a dead-air gap between them. How about Heartbreaker and Livin' Lovin' Maid. And almost all Blue Oyster Cult songs from my favorite first few albums(up to and including Secret Treaties) are purposefully connected, and there is no clear place to cut them to stand alone.

And Fred, yeah, CCR had us believing they were from the bayou. Fooled me!
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:19 pm

Rusty, I think I know what you mean. Additionally many LP's have the a and b sides somehow structured so that both sides feel like two different entities. That is not so apparent if the album is on a CD, since there is no extended break on the CD that you would have when you flip the record on the turntable.

I got used to that 2-LP collection and its order of songs, maybe I should try the original albums too Smile For me ZZ Top's albums are something that must not be messed with.

CD's have a very good sound quality and they are easy to use, but the downside is that it is so easy and quick to skip songs, and with the remote control, if a song on a new CD is not immediately catchy the temptation to hit >>| is almost irresistible.

KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:01 pm

Wow, ZZ Top in Finland. "Mexican Blackbird," that's one of my favorite ZZ Top songs.
You can get a taste of all the culturally different regions in America by listening to some of these bands.
Kraftwerk was popular in the US. Scandinavian, I know, but I'm not sure which country... Denmark?

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:52 am

Most teenagers in Finland in the '80s listened to bands like Twisted Sister, Kiss, Judas Priest and such, or Pet Shop Boys, Duran Duran and other Disco groups. There were some pretty popular domestic bands too playing a variety of genres.

ZZ Top was certainly not mainstream, but I was and still am a fan. First 9 albums I bought were all ZZ Top... The 10th was Status Quo's (also not mainstream) mostly because the Top had only released 9 albums so far lol! I had no idea what the lyrics meant in most of the songs on "El Loco", now I do, fortunately my parents had no idea either  lol!

My favourite is "Tube Snake Boogie", the first ZZ Top song I ever heard, and still it just rocks. Mexican Blackbird, like all the songs on the b-side of "Fandango", is a great one too.
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:47 pm

I enjoy all of those groups listed even though they are before my time.
Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:11 am

Well Thats messed up i thought they were from the Bayou !! Dumb butt me i never looked it up But did and still Love CCR !! Fogerty Bros. was just one of the best with there down to earth songs. You are Lucky to have that paper Kim , even if its not what ya want to hear . This Site Rocks!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:02 am

getback wrote:Well Thats messed up i thought they were from the Bayou !! Dumb butt me i never looked it up But did and still Love CCR !!  Fogerty Bros. was just one of the best with there down to earth songs. You are Lucky to have that paper Kim , even if its not what ya want to hear . This Site Rocks!

Somewhat of a miracle that the letter survived, considering my life at the time.

I held out hope for a long time afterward that CCR might eventually get back together, even after John Fogerty's brother Tom (rhythm guitar), passed away.  I've got a couple of books on the group, and they pretty much outline John's passionate hatred for his bandmates and Fantasy records during a contract dispute.

Also, the group as a whole apparently lost a big wad of cash in some off-shore investing scheme, so there was plenty of financial scheming and trauma with my altruistic, 'money don't mean nothin' buddies.

When CCR was inducted into the Hall of Fame, there was talk that they might reassemble, with Tom Fogerty's son taking his father's place as rhythm guitar.  But John would would have none of it, demanding that he alone receive the award...which is what happened...with him referencing 'his' hits.

He eventually forgave Fantasy Records enough to record there again, but apparently still hates Stu Cook and Doug Clifford for not siding with him about their cut.

Fantasy re-packaged CCR's songs in all sorts of combinations, but I mostly stuck to collecting their concert albums.  John has had several Albums, which I've collected, and Doug Clifford and Stu Cook released an L.P. titled 'Cosmo', which I bought, but with none of the foot-stomping music of CCR.

A final bit of trivial (as if I haven't been boring enough already) is that Fantasy got in some trouble with the release of a concert album, billed as 'The Royal Albert Hall Concert'.  But it wasn't recorded there, and the album was re-released as 'The Concert' which you can see in Kari's photos.

The Day the Music Died...for me 1_310

Born on the Bayou Kim
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:45 pm

KAAY 1090 4-13-1971 Little Rock AR

Did you ever listen to KAAY back in the day? I believe it could be picked up across much of the US at night.

I like CCR but my mother never cared for them. She never liked John Fogerty.

I know you were waiting for me to post a picture of some 8-tracks.
The Day the Music Died...for me Img_0915

The Day the Music Died...for me Img_0917
Here's a bootleg 4-track (not an 8-track) of "A collection of their No.1 Hits". The shell is a little deformed, someone must've left it on their dashboard in the sun. Like most bootleg 4-tracks and 8-tracks, the sound quality is pretty poor, almost as bad as that KAAY aircheck.

The Day the Music Died...for me Img_0916
Here's a Spanish release cassette of "The Concert".

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:49 pm

May have run across it, but "THE CHANNEL" at night was 89 WLS out of Chicago. A couple local stations here had their power up during the day, and that was the way I found out about CCR's singles as they were released. The songs and albums just kept rolling out faster and better, and it was easy to figure they'd go on forever.

My older brother was a trooper in the Missouri Highway Patrol back then, and HATED anything that wasn't Jerry Reed, or Glen Campbell or such. He's come a long way from the days when he called my favorite group "Creedence Queer Water", and now has most of their albums.

'Bout five years ago, he sent me a CD with a note to the effect, 'Thought you might like this...it's really good...the guy's name is Eric Clapton'.

Got to love family...
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:21 pm

I don't know but I've been told that the band members did not receive one cent for royalties whenever their songs were played on the radio after whatever happened with the contract. That's just Wrong, not to receive anything for those oft played and much beloved tunes.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

The Day the Music Died...for me Empty RE: The Day Music Died

Post  66 Malibu Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:52 pm

I always tell the kids and grandkids, the day that the music died was when Buddy Holly and The Big Bopper got killed. Rock and Roll was never the same after that to me
During that time transistor radios were just becoming available since the transistor was invented in 1957, so me and my buddies had the Japanese "Rocket" crystal radios that clipped to your window screen and worked mostly at night when you were supposed to be in bed !! Listened to WLS,WOWO /Ft.Wayne, KMOX, and Philly( Jerry Blabbit "The Geeter with the Heater").
Found an NIB Rocket Radio years ago for $10 at flea market. Last used one saw on auction was $300.00 BIN !!!
Saw Eric Clapton on a PBS TV special a few years ago honoring Stevie Ray Vaughn who maybe the best blues guitar ever in my opinion. The special featured B.B.King, Buddy Guy, Jimmie Vaughn ( Stevie Ray's Brother), Eric Clapton, and Dr. John from New Orleans on piano. Wish I could have been there...
66 Malibu
66 Malibu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:55 am

Music died just a little bit more today (yesterday) with the passing of Chuck Berry.

WLS 890AM (unscoped/complete with music):
WLS 6-7-1960
WLS 1-3-1969
WLS 9-23-1971
WLS 5-3-1975
WLS 7-12-1975
WLS 9-8-1975

WOWO 1190AM (unscoped/complete with music):
WOWO 11-20-1976

66 Malibu wrote:
Saw Eric Clapton on a PBS TV special a few years ago honoring Stevie Ray Vaughn who maybe the best blues guitar ever in my opinion. The special featured B.B.King, Buddy Guy, Jimmie Vaughn ( Stevie Ray's Brother), Eric Clapton, and Dr. John from New Orleans on piano. Wish I could have been there...

I think I recorded that. I know I saw it, it was a great show.

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

The Day the Music Died...for me Empty RE: The Day Music Died

Post  66 Malibu Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:41 am

Jacob.....Thanks for the WLS and WOWO links....They bring back some good times.......

Steve....
66 Malibu
66 Malibu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down