Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Roddie's P-51's Cox_ba12

Roddie's P-51's Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 5:40 pm

» Cox P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer
by Wayne Brown Today at 5:39 pm

» thread measurements
by MauricioB Today at 5:33 pm

» Cox Thompson Trophy Winner
by Jerry Today at 5:20 pm

» COX 010 TeeDee with RC carb, courtesy sosam 117
by rdw777 Today at 3:08 pm

» "Me and Crazy Horse...Our Anniversary"
by fit90 Today at 2:52 pm

» a cheap sport muffler
by robot797 Today at 1:34 pm

» OS 10FSR Carb Needed
by Cougar 429 Today at 1:14 pm

» AP .061 Hornet
by F4D Phantom II Yesterday at 10:01 pm

» dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:46 pm

» Re-manufactured Enya .06-II for Boats13
by Boats13 Yesterday at 7:32 pm

» TD 09 Ducted Fan
by getback Yesterday at 8:41 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Roddie's P-51's Empty
Live on Patrol

Roddie's P-51's

Go down

Roddie's P-51's Empty Roddie's P-51's

Post  roddie Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:11 pm

I can't find the thread that I mentioned these in.. (sorry for a redundancy..) so I'll start a new one.

Here they are..

Roddie's P-51's The_pa11

Yet to be flown.. built (by eye.. no plans) back in the late 1990's for control-line and Cox .049 reed-valve power. They're pretty much identical. I have identical triplet sons who were born in 1988. Two of the boys have Autism. These identical-twin airplanes were actually built for them.

I've been rebuilding a handful of reed-valve engines recently.. and these two models will receive the engines in the photo below.

Roddie's P-51's P-51_e10

They have #1 cylinders and are fitted with Cox black #864 6"d x 2"p left-hand propellers and L/H cam-style starter springs. I've mentioned countless times that I like this propeller.. because it's stock equipment on the venerable Cox PT-19 Flight-Trainer. It's a bit premature to assume that this combo will work.. but I figure that it's a good place to start. Dan McEntee sold me some NOS Perfect wedge-tanks earlier this year, just like the ones I used to run that worked well for me. I need to bench-run the engines.. and If they run well; I'll "short-tank" one of the models' engines for a maiden-flight.. just in case things get hairy..

These two airplanes incorporate everything I'd learned from building/flying my own 1/2A profile designs up to that point. A little "old-school" construction (solid-wire lead-outs) mixed with newer building-methods (CA-glue and CA-hinging). They're probably at the upper-limit in overall size for a stock Cox reed-valve engine.. but I'm confident that they will fly. Wingspan is 24" and the area is approx. 120 sq. in. Weight without engine is 4.7oz. They are finished with Aero-Gloss dope. The wings and tail are 1/8" sheet-balsa and the fuse is 1/4" sheet-balsa with 1/32" aircraft-ply nose-doublers. The inverted "V" main landing-gear is 1/16" music-wire. The bellcranks are Sig #SH-234 1/2A nylon units. The control-horns are Dubro small #107 parts.

Both airplanes are equipped to be launched R.O.G. via a pin-stooge.. but may receive larger diameter wheels.. depending on the surface that they're launched from. The current wheels are homemade ones. They're only 1.25" diameter soft-foam tires on 3/4" diameter wooden wheels.

Roddie's P-51's Dsc03810

I really hope to have a flight-report following the July 4th week.. which I have off from work... Popcorn

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Roddie's P-51's Empty Re: Roddie's P-51's

Post  akjgardner Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:33 pm

Do you know the weight of those? (the airplanes)

Last edited by akjgardner on Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:52 am

Hope the P-51s do well for you Roddie and can give use a flight report , i Know you're stoked about getting in the air after the layover.... Here's the thread to the wheels if that is what Joe is referring too , dont see the weight though ? https://www.coxengineforum.com/t7072-custom-wheels?highlight=home+made+wheels Very Cool !! This Site Rocks!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:05 pm

I'll be waiting/watching!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:46 pm

akjgardner wrote:Do you know the weight of those? (the airplanes)

Joe, the airplanes weigh 4.7oz. without engine or a fuel tank.

Roddie's P-51's Weight10

They were not built from a kit or a plan. They are my own design, like most that I have built. They're probably a bit heavy for a stock Bee engine. The fuse in particular is more robust than it needs to be. The fuses were made from planks of 1/4" x 3" balsa.. and are only tapered fore/aft of the wing-chord position. The air-scoop and canopy are also 1/4" balsa and make for a fairly tall center-section. I wish I'd used 3/16" balsa and streamlined them a bit more.. but they are what they are. The canopies are fugly.. Their shape is awful. I may reshape them later.. as well as shape/sand and refinish the 2-D air-scoops to look smoother. The landing-gear adds considerable weight too.. but I like having landing-gear. Most all of my airplanes use a one-piece inverted-V gear made from 1/16" music-wire secured with Dubro 1/2A steel gear-straps mounted on the plywood nose-doublers. Being just forward of the balance-point.. I use different wheels to add or subtract what I feel is functional-weight. The axles are long-enough to experiment with larger diameter wheels that may have a thicker hub. I'd like to initially try flying this design from a grass runway.. and the wheels that or on the models are too small of a diameter for that.. unless I lay-out some cardboard panels. Stay-tuned for a different wheel design made using thin 3/4" wooden-dowel "slices" for a hub.. and seamless foam tube "noodle" material (cheap-swimming-pool item) for a tire.. which will increase the overall diameter to 2+ inches.. and will roll better over grass. (pure Roddie-redneck wheel design..)  Laughing

In my opinion..................... there's a lot more to the C/L flight, than the actual "flying". I enjoy the thrill of having an airplane rise off the ground from a roll-out and be stable in level-flight. Climbing and diving will hopefully be balanced-inputs. It may not be capable of stunts. That's ok with me. Most Cox ARF C/L airplanes aren't. There's a lot of fun to be had with dive-bombing balloons placed around the circle, tied to sticks stuck in the ground. In my locale; "Smores" are a popular campfire treat. Roasting marshmallows over a campfire is a key-ingredient. Kits are sold, usually with 4 hardwood dowels; 1/4" diameter x 36" long to roast the marshmallows. They cost a couple bucks.. (cheap..) Stay with me here.. Buy the "sticks".. the marshmallows, the graham-crackers and the Hershey (chocolate) bars to make the Smores.. and "cook" them some night over a campfire. They're YUMMY! Save the sticks for a balloon-bust! Tie some round party-balloons to them and place them around your flight-circle and try to "pop" them in a dive-bomb! It's an old C/L fun-fly event that you don't hear too much about anymore.

I digress..  Laughing Larger wheels might help a small lightweight C/L model land on a grass field.. and roll-out without nosing-over. This would be a "perfect-flight" in my opinion.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:36 pm

RTF self-designed duo.. dry-weights are both 7.0oz. #18 1/3oz. (9.8cc) Perfect-brand wedge-style fuel tanks, Cox .049 reed-valve engines with Sure-start backplates, #1 dual-bypass cylinders, #325 standard glow-plugs and Cox black 6"d x 2"p left-hand propellers. Yet to be flown.. but ready to go.

Roddie's P-51's Dsc04447
Roddie's P-51's Dsc04448
Roddie's P-51's Dsc04449

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content