Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Anyone have a 3D printer?
by Madguns Today at 2:49 am

» I bet not many COX collectors have this..
by KingofCox Today at 12:26 am

» Lil Monster
by 944_Jim Today at 12:04 am

» Chat box check-in
by Admin Yesterday at 10:12 pm

» My NOS plane collection
by KingofCox Yesterday at 7:36 pm

» Accelerator accessory for .09
by MauricioB Yesterday at 4:15 pm

» Stuka timeline
by ticomareado Yesterday at 4:06 pm

» O.S. FS 40 Marine
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 3:04 pm

» Organized my planes today
by KingofCox Yesterday at 12:56 pm

» Double vision!
by getback Yesterday at 9:27 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2018
Kim's

"War Dog hauls the 2M B.O.T. out of Uncle Wayne's backyard"

PAST WINNERS
Speed Contest 2018
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
Gallery

World of Aviation

Roddie's P-51's

Go down

Roddie's P-51's

Post  roddie on Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:11 pm

I can't find the thread that I mentioned these in.. (sorry for a redundancy..) so I'll start a new one.

Here they are..

Yet to be flown.. built (by eye.. no plans) back in the late 1990's for control-line and Cox .049 reed-valve power. They're pretty much identical. I have identical triplet sons who were born in 1988. Two of the boys have Autism. These identical-twin airplanes were actually built for them.

I've been rebuilding a handful of reed-valve engines recently.. and these two models will receive the engines in the photo below.

They have #1 cylinders and are fitted with Cox black #864 6"d x 2"p left-hand propellers and L/H cam-style starter springs. I've mentioned countless times that I like this propeller.. because it's stock equipment on the venerable Cox PT-19 Flight-Trainer. It's a bit premature to assume that this combo will work.. but I figure that it's a good place to start. Dan McEntee sold me some NOS Perfect wedge-tanks earlier this year, just like the ones I used to run that worked well for me. I need to bench-run the engines.. and If they run well; I'll "short-tank" one of the models' engines for a maiden-flight.. just in case things get hairy..

These two airplanes incorporate everything I'd learned from building/flying my own 1/2A profile designs up to that point. A little "old-school" construction (solid-wire lead-outs) mixed with newer building-methods (CA-glue and CA-hinging). They're probably at the upper-limit in overall size for a stock Cox reed-valve engine.. but I'm confident that they will fly. Wingspan is 24" and the area is approx. 120 sq. in. Weight without engine is 4.7oz. They are finished with Aero-Gloss dope. The wings and tail are 1/8" sheet-balsa and the fuse is 1/4" sheet-balsa with 1/32" aircraft-ply nose-doublers. The inverted "V" main landing-gear is 1/16" music-wire. The bellcranks are Sig #SH-234 1/2A nylon units. The control-horns are Dubro small #107 parts.

Both airplanes are equipped to be launched R.O.G. via a pin-stooge.. but may receive larger diameter wheels.. depending on the surface that they're launched from. The current wheels are homemade ones. They're only 1.25" diameter soft-foam tires on 3/4" diameter wooden wheels.

I really hope to have a flight-report following the July 4th week.. which I have off from work... Popcorn

roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Roddie's P-51's

Post  akjgardner on Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:33 pm

Do you know the weight of those? (the airplanes)

Last edited by akjgardner on Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
akjgardner
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  getback on Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:52 am

Hope the P-51s do well for you Roddie and can give use a flight report , i Know you're stoked about getting in the air after the layover.... Here's the thread to the wheels if that is what Joe is referring too , dont see the weight though ? https://www.coxengineforum.com/t7072-custom-wheels?highlight=home+made+wheels Very Cool !! This Site Rocks!
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 on Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:05 pm

I'll be waiting/watching!
Cribbs74

Trusted Seller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie on Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:46 pm

akjgardner wrote:Do you know the weight of those? (the airplanes)

Joe, the airplanes weigh 4.7oz. without engine or a fuel tank.

They were not built from a kit or a plan. They are my own design, like most that I have built. They're probably a bit heavy for a stock Bee engine. The fuse in particular is more robust than it needs to be. The fuses were made from planks of 1/4" x 3" balsa.. and are only tapered fore/aft of the wing-chord position. The air-scoop and canopy are also 1/4" balsa and make for a fairly tall center-section. I wish I'd used 3/16" balsa and streamlined them a bit more.. but they are what they are. The canopies are fugly.. Their shape is awful. I may reshape them later.. as well as shape/sand and refinish the 2-D air-scoops to look smoother. The landing-gear adds considerable weight too.. but I like having landing-gear. Most all of my airplanes use a one-piece inverted-V gear made from 1/16" music-wire secured with Dubro 1/2A steel gear-straps mounted on the plywood nose-doublers. Being just forward of the balance-point.. I use different wheels to add or subtract what I feel is functional-weight. The axles are long-enough to experiment with larger diameter wheels that may have a thicker hub. I'd like to initially try flying this design from a grass runway.. and the wheels that or on the models are too small of a diameter for that.. unless I lay-out some cardboard panels. Stay-tuned for a different wheel design made using thin 3/4" wooden-dowel "slices" for a hub.. and seamless foam tube "noodle" material (cheap-swimming-pool item) for a tire.. which will increase the overall diameter to 2+ inches.. and will roll better over grass. (pure Roddie-redneck wheel design..)  Laughing

In my opinion..................... there's a lot more to the C/L flight, than the actual "flying". I enjoy the thrill of having an airplane rise off the ground from a roll-out and be stable in level-flight. Climbing and diving will hopefully be balanced-inputs. It may not be capable of stunts. That's ok with me. Most Cox ARF C/L airplanes aren't. There's a lot of fun to be had with dive-bombing balloons placed around the circle, tied to sticks stuck in the ground. In my locale; "Smores" are a popular campfire treat. Roasting marshmallows over a campfire is a key-ingredient. Kits are sold, usually with 4 hardwood dowels; 1/4" diameter x 36" long to roast the marshmallows. They cost a couple bucks.. (cheap..) Stay with me here.. Buy the "sticks".. the marshmallows, the graham-crackers and the Hershey (chocolate) bars to make the Smores.. and "cook" them some night over a campfire. They're YUMMY! Save the sticks for a balloon-bust! Tie some round party-balloons to them and place them around your flight-circle and try to "pop" them in a dive-bomb! It's an old C/L fun-fly event that you don't hear too much about anymore.

I digress..  Laughing Larger wheels might help a small lightweight C/L model land on a grass field.. and roll-out without nosing-over. This would be a "perfect-flight" in my opinion.
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie on Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:36 pm

RTF self-designed duo.. dry-weights are both 7.0oz. #18 1/3oz. (9.8cc) Perfect-brand wedge-style fuel tanks, Cox .049 reed-valve engines with Sure-start backplates, #1 dual-bypass cylinders, #325 standard glow-plugs and Cox black 6"d x 2"p left-hand propellers. Yet to be flown.. but ready to go.

roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down