Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

The 2017 International Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is History!!! - Page 3 Cox_ba12

The 2017 International Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is History!!! - Page 3 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Anzac Day!
by Admin Today at 5:50 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 4:34 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:56 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

The 2017 International Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is History!!! - Page 3 Empty
Live on Patrol

The 2017 International Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is History!!!

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

The 2017 International Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is History!!! - Page 3 Empty Re: The 2017 International Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is History!!!

Post  Kim Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:57 am

Ken Cook wrote:The laser cut kits use wood much lighter than the kit w I'm assuming the fuse covers the bolt?

Hey Ken,
The bellcrank bolt appears to be just outside the fuse. Gonna watch a You Tube video a guy has posted on it's building.
It'll probably sound stupid to many here, but I sure would like a step-by-step set of instructions to keep me from having back up and re-do something I overstep.
One way or the other, gonna start on the wing today!
Sometimes Fairly Dense Kim
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

The 2017 International Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is History!!! - Page 3 Empty Re: The 2017 International Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is History!!!

Post  fredvon4 Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:04 pm

Kim I know what you mean about step by step hand holding... I am a non standard man.... I read instructions, religiously, three to five times before I start,  and it bugs my wife to no end...she is one of the rare, jump in and "make it up as you go" women assemblers of all things in a box...and this drives me absurdly berserk!

I personalty do not like the built up C or D tube leading edges as real fiddly and mandatory perfect straight wood,
Preferring the solid pre shaped LE

It is good design, just not my skill set preferred ----mostly ----cuz I suck at accurately gluing down long areas. And I refuse to use pins... another story

All that said... drive on ....I have seem many of your other models and this is not much diff...
Build the wing center, do the out board wing tip, then fuss with learning how to create the adjustable lead out inner wing tip

If that section is elusive, go to stunt hanger and search for adjustable lead outs----- and just look at all the various methods... lots of little AH HA! lights in your head will pop, and I bet you find your own unique way to skin that cat

The top and bottom supported Bell Crank Axle is so obvious, I am not real sure why the old time method of one ply plate was ever considered.... I mean, damn it! The BC is centered inside the wing...Why not support it Top AND Bottom?..total weight gain in .15 and larger models is negligible.... IMO a single ply plate in 1/2a is adequate because of the light weights and forces...

Hell, way back in 1973 building combat Mongeese, or VooDoos, I always added a top ply plate to carry the Bell crank load

Now here is a suggestion, because I do NOT like the through Bolt and Nut out side of the wing center skin as shown on your plan

I cut a section of proper sized music wire a little long for the Bell crank Axel and once all is built up and before Center section sheeting, I dremel off the excess wire flush ( or nearly) to the two ply plates ...always a little stub a little proud of the top and bottom ply plate.... as I sheet the center with balsa, I dollop a bit of epoxy on the proud axle stub and press the balsa center sheeting down flush

Hint two---- the Ring Master needs the Bell Crank linkage in the very closest hole to the Axel ---and down on the furthest hole away from the Elevator hinge line....slowing and limiting total throw of the controls as much as possible is desired...   a fast elevator with a lot of deflection causes very easy stalls

Last edited by fredvon4 on Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:46 pm

Thanks Fred,

Gonna check out some other installations as you suggested. I had thought about the piano wire/pin deal with the bellcrank, but was hesitant at changing things around. I may do that once the frame is glued up.

Got it all lined up and ready for some CA...just going to take a walk down the road and back to clear my brain a bit.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

The 2017 International Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is History!!! - Page 3 Empty Sunday on Breezy Hill

Post  Kim Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:18 am

Cruised up to Breezy Hill yesterday for some C/L flying.  Pretty light day with four or five members showing up through the day.

Leo came out for some more tweaking of his fleet of Ringmasters for the Fly-a-Thon.  He was averaging about 8 laps per tank-full with his Fox .15 versions, and wants to nail it down closer, so will be taking their tank size down to 1/4 oz and working from there.  The boy is serious!

The 2017 International Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is History!!! - Page 3 1_1110

The 2017 International Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is History!!! - Page 3 1_114

The 2017 International Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is History!!! - Page 3 1_210

The 2017 International Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is History!!! - Page 3 1_1310

The 2017 International Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is History!!! - Page 3 1_710

The 2017 International Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is History!!! - Page 3 1_911

The 2017 International Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is History!!! - Page 3 1_1010

The 2017 International Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is History!!! - Page 3 1_1211
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:16 pm

Kim, I have a real addiction for the Fox .15 steelfin and slant plug. The OK .149 is another one I enjoy. Great engines for those period planes.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:03 pm

GOT to love 11th-Hour project work!!!

My mighty S-1 Ringmaster gets it's suit of fancy mylar for it's debut at the World Wide Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon this Saturday at Breezy Hill!!!!

Gonna bend it some landing gear so it can stand on it's own, and then start installing 'The Noisy Parts'

The 2017 International Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is History!!! - Page 3 3_22
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:23 pm

Kim, that's a great color scheme. It looks great. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:31 pm

Ken Cook wrote:          Kim, that's a great color scheme. It looks great. Ken

Thanks Ken !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:32 pm

I like it too. Really nice scheme Kim.

Now tighten up that wingtip Wink
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:09 am

Coming down to it!

The 2017 International Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is History!!! - Page 3 1_bill10
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:33 am

Your S-1 looks terrific in those colors Kim! Nice trim-scheme! I bought similar-color paints for my Tee-33-Dee for a "Blue-Angels" theme, if I ever finish it.. Rolling Eyes

The 2017 International Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is History!!! - Page 3 2-13-110

The model was supposed to compete in the CEF 2016 Speed Contest which allowed the use of Tee Dee engines.

The 2017 International Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is History!!! - Page 3 1-10-110
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:40 pm

Thanks Roddie !!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:08 pm

Kim, looks real good.  Are those colors the same as the standard pt19?

Just watched your PT-19 u tube. cOOL!  How long ago was this?  You LOOPED the Pt-19, multiple times......you should get an award, an Emmy or something!  

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=1QD625kt0FA
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:43 am

That does look very nice Kim, what's the power going to bee ? Babe Bee .049 This Site Rocks!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:16 pm

I had a great time participating with the Rings today. Mine does quite well with the Blackhead Combat Special. Loud, Fast and fun. I got in some good flights between my son and I. I built it in 85 and she's still going strong. Many many repairs of the years. While the picture does it some justice, it's horrid up close. https://www.facebook.com/PhillyFliersCL/photos/pcb.1672058339530960/1672058042864323/?type=3&theater
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:23 pm

Sean McEntee and I got several RM flights in this morning before the soccer teams arrived from church

Beautiful 59~72 F morning, no wind, very bright sun...thankful for low/no wind

Son could not make it...bummer.

He is pulling 6 tens and got home late last night so I did not pester him to come play with dad

Also bummer---- I did not fly the RH baby RM Bi-plane... Medallion just would not cooperate... proly crud in the NVA

I just ..I mean JUST got a new Samsung Galaxy S8+ and do not have a good glass screen protector.... NO way I was touching it with Glow fuel hands...

Great time was had and Cen Texas has contributed yet again
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:25 pm

BTW Kim...I really like the RM and colors you did...great looking plane
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:40 am

Marleysky wrote:Kim, looks real good.  Are those colors the same as the standard pt19?

Just watched your PT-19 u tube. cOOL!  How long ago was this?  You LOOPED the Pt-19, multiple times......you should get an award, an Emmy or something!  

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=1QD625kt0FA

Thank You Marleysky!

The colors were supposed to be yellow and purple! Kinda missed that, but still I like it.

The looping PT-19 video is from about three years ago...I think. Funny note about that is that I looped my QZ-19 (without muffler) back when I was 14, but always laid low when I'd get lectures from experts about how "Those plastic planes aren't good for anything but going in circles" !!!!

Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:41 am

fredvon4 wrote:BTW Kim...I really like the RM and colors you did...great looking plane

Thank you Fred !!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:13 pm

Well, the Breezy Hill World-Wide Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is now history!!!

It was a learning experience is just HOW much wind a guy could handle!  On Saturday, we had gusts upward of 50mph, which kindly seemed to limit themselves to our breaks: just scattering potato chips and our cupcakes across the pavilion.  Winds through the day maintained at about 35-40mph, with occasional moments of spooky calmness.

I left home on Sunday morning in a steady rain, fully intending to go there for the sole purpose of calling off the Fly-a-Thon 'till the following Sunday.  I arrived at Breezy Hill with partly cloudy skys, a gentle breeze, and Leo already turning circles on his 16th Official Flight.  He KEPT flying through the day, logging a total of 201--YES---201 flights! The rest of us chipped in to take the total to 250 fights.

Here's my report to John Cralley:

2017 World-Wide Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon Report
Breezy Hill Flyers
Chester, Illinois
October 7th & 8th

Seven Pilots Participated:
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday October 7th
Billy Lang...........................Jr. Ringmaster..................................20 Flights

Kim Stricker.....................Super Ringmaster............................. 6 Flights

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Sunday October 8th
Leo Edler.............................S-1 Ringmaster.............................. 110 Flights
..............................................Jr. Ringmaster.............................10 Flights
..............................................Jr. Ringmaster..............................80 Flights
.............................................Beginners Ringmaster......................1 Flight

Billy Lang............................Jr. Ringmaster.....................................5 Flights
..............................................Baby Ringmaster.............................5 Flights

Ronnie Shemonic*............Beginners Ringmaster...............................2 Flights

Steven L Jany*.................Beginners Ringmaster...............................2 Flights

Darryl Wilson*.................Beginners Ringmaster................................2 Flights

Patrick Farrow.................Beginners Ringmaster.................................1 Flight

Kim Stricker.....................Beginners Rigmaster Bipe...........................1 Flight
............................................Super Ringmaster................................3 Flights
............................................RSM S-1 Ringmaster.............................2 Flights
                                                  -------------
                                               250 Flights Total

*First time flyers.

Kim Stricker
Billy Lang
Leo Edler
Darryl Wilson
Steven L. Jany
Patrick Farow
Ronnie Shemonic

2017flyathon@ringmasterflyathon.com

110 Flights:
S-1 RSM Kit, with an O.S. 20FP turning an APC 10x3 prop.  Using a Jim Lee .235 venturi with one side blocked off with a sliver of hardwood, which choked down the engine to fly on 38ft lines.Fuel tank is a 1/4oz Kap-Pak Brand that gives about six laps.  

10 Flights:
Pat King Junior Ringmaster Trainer with a slab wing.  With a Fox Steel Fin .15, spinning an APC 9x3 prop, and with one side of it's veturi blocked with a sliver of hardwood to detune the Fox and allow flying on 38ft lines.  Fuel tank is a 1/4oz Perfect Brand tank that gives 7-8 laps.

80 Flights:
Junior Ringmaster Traner slab wing being pulled by an Enya.15 MkIII, with one side of the venturi blocked by a hardwood sliver.  Using an APC 9x3 cut down to 8 3/4, and drawing fuel from a 1/4oz Perfect Brand tank for 7-8 laps on 38ft lines.

1 Flight:
Baby Ringmaster scratch built, powered by a Cox Babe Bee .049.

Billy's Ringmasters:

20 Flights:
Junior Ringmaster, a severely modified 'Swap-Meet Orphan' that Billy adopted at the Columbia Swap-Meet last year.  Rebuilt back to stock status, it's powered by an Enya .15-IV.

5 Flights:
2 Baby Ringmasters, each scratch-built, each with Cox Black Widows, flying on 35ft lines.

Baby Ringmaster, Cox

9 Flights:
Super Ringmaster, another 'Swap-Meet Orphan', bought at the Columbia Swap-Meet several years ago.  Refinished (and rebuilt after a crash), it's powered by a Fox .35, turning a Master Airscrew 10-6 prop.  Tank size is un-remembered, but is small for it's application. Flys on 60ft lines.

2 Flights:
RSM S-1, finished the day before the 2017 Fly-a-Thon.  Fuel tank is a 3 1/2oz RSM uniflow tank.  Fuseage and tail are finished with Brodak Dope, with the wing covered by MonoKote.  Flys on 60ft lines.

1 Flight:
Beginners Ringmaster Biplane---Pat King slab wing kit .  Engine is a backplate Cox .049 with a 1/2oz tank and a Cox Brand 5x3 prop.  Flys on 35ft lines.

The 2017 International Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is History!!! - Page 3 6_10

The 2017 International Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is History!!! - Page 3 6_210

The 2017 International Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is History!!! - Page 3 1_410

The 2017 International Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is History!!! - Page 3 1_510

The 2017 International Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is History!!! - Page 3 1_310

The 2017 International Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is History!!! - Page 3 3_310

The 2017 International Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is History!!! - Page 3 3_211

The 2017 International Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is History!!! - Page 3 2_010

The 2017 International Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is History!!! - Page 3 2_410

The 2017 International Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is History!!! - Page 3 7_210

The 2017 International Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is History!!! - Page 3 11_110

The 2017 International Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is History!!! - Page 3 1_111

Last edited by Kim on Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:33 pm

KIm

Where did the small BHOR decal on the rudder come from? I only got large ones from them. Did not see a small size
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:38 pm

fredvon4 wrote:KIm

Where did the small BHOR decal on the rudder come from?  I only got large ones from them. Did not see a small size

I just printed them in different sizes on photo paper and stuff'm on with tape. Not too durable, but good for a little bit !!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:09 pm

About what I thought... I scoured Ring site for quite a bit looking for the dinky ones

Thanks Kim
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:49 am

And we got a new record !!!

The 2017 International Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is History!!! - Page 3 10_10
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:25 am

cheers Beer Cheers cheers Man that's some great stuff to hear , one heck of alot of flights for 2 days !! Thanks for the pic's and info Kim , looks like you guys had a really fun time !! sunny It's been so hectic here for the last few weeks i didn't even get my BRM put back together confused Stated on the well wing for a trainer ring but is as far as i got was to cut it out . Way to go guys !! Airplane
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next