Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

049 Collectors is moving to Facebook! Cox_ba12

049 Collectors is moving to Facebook! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 12:22 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by 1/2A Nut Today at 12:08 am

» Happy Anzac Day!
by Boats13 Yesterday at 11:03 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Yesterday at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 3:56 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Yesterday at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:12 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

049 Collectors is moving to Facebook! Empty
Live on Patrol

049 Collectors is moving to Facebook!

Go down

049 Collectors is moving to Facebook! Empty 049 Collectors is moving to Facebook!

Post  Mark Boesen Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:59 pm

.049 Collectors is moving to Facebook, or at least the forum is! The photos will still be there...and the post option will still be activated in case somebody stops by. Facebook is a lot easier to work with than the yahoo forum, so i thought why not give it a try.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/919016391481124/
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

049 Collectors is moving to Facebook! Empty Re: 049 Collectors is moving to Facebook!

Post  RknRusty Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:41 am

I think it's a great idea. Some people will never join FB, but more new subscribers will make up for it. It will be easier to navigate and explore too.
Thanks,
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

049 Collectors is moving to Facebook! Empty Re: 049 Collectors is moving to Facebook!

Post  Oldenginerod Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:23 am

RknRusty wrote:I think it's a great idea. Some people will never join FB, but more new subscribers will make up for it. It will be easier to navigate and explore too.
Thanks,
Rusty

I disagree, at least from my perspective. I've already had my gripe on the 049 group. I don't get Facebook at all. I've tried to understand how it works, but it just confuses and frustrates me. For me it's also a moral dilemma because I am determined not to register for facebook due to the extreme negative effect on my son. It so easily becomes an obsession and a distraction for too many people, where they should be putting their time and efforts into something more constructive. I'm sure the 049 Facebook group won't be harmful to anyone in any way, but the whole thing just makes me angry when I see what it can do to people. For me, the negative effects on society far outweigh the positive.
So, call me stubborn, call me old fashioned. I call it discerning.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:49 am

Looking forward to seeing your group on Facebook, your site has been very helpful to me as a Cox collector. The last format change made by Yahoo is a real head scratcher,
it made the site much harder to navigate. Now that Yahoo sold itself to Verizon who knows what will happen.
Thanks Mark B
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:28 am

I like forums better than Facebook groups. Maybe I just don't know how to use Facebook but for me it is difficult to find old postings (like from a year or more ago). I probably am not the only one with this inability, because after a while in just about any group you start to see the same questions and the same shared external stuff over and over again.

But even a Facebook group is an improvement over the yahoo site. The latter might as well have been in Greek, I just could not figure out how to use it.
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:41 am

I'm with Rod on this one. While my life is pretty much an open book here, sharing personal experiences with like-minded people it's the only place that it is. Facebook to me is just a bunch of old ladies gossiping over the back fence, voyeurism, and self-promotion. Friend me, don't friend me, like, dislike - not for me. The old boyfriend/girlfriend break-up routine "It's not you, it's me" applies.

I like my privacy, and while they say they don't, they do sell/share your personal information. Listening to the Kim Commando show last Saturday on PBS provided many documented examples. And PBS like the internet we all know if it's there it must be the truth. Smile I don't think I was a born skeptic, I just morphed into one. The older I get the more I question.

I did like the movie "The Social Network" though.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:56 am

The problem with the Yahoo forum, is you got to have a yahoo account, which isn't really a big deal, but to some it seems to be and then there seems to be a ton of spam that comes with it. Also, the site is pretty hard to navigate. I need a cheap, easy to access site where i can move 5,000 photos.
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:07 am

The Facebook group is a closed group so there is no gossip, ect, ect. The open internet has more access to this site than the Face or .049 group, one reason to use an alias.
I use add and tracking blockers to shoot down Facebook intrusions and it works well.
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:03 pm

I'd wanted to check-out the yahoo site since learning about it a few years ago.. but I read about the problems people were having with navigation.. etc. so I spared myself the aggravation. I've had a Facebook account for years.. and I'll admit that there's a lot of CRAP that one can be exposed to if you get sucked-into it. I FILTER... and would give that advice to anyone who uses Facebook. I personally spend an average of less than 30 min./wk. on the site.

I'm a member of the FB group "Control-line Enthusiasts"... and though I don't post too often.. or spend much time there; I do enjoy seeing photos of builds, finished-models, flight-vids and commentary from modelers around the world.. just like what we have here. I'm not an "active" member of any other modeling forum. This keeps it "simple" for me.

Facebook can be a very useful tool.. as long as you DON'T get caught-up in reading about conflict/controversial subjects. Ignorance abounds.. as well as trolling. Mark will likely assume position of moderator of his new FB page.. and monitor it for any misconduct, trolling etc. I look forward to the roll-out!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:56 pm

I personally loath FB but have learned to ignore 90% of the "I had to douche this morning" crapolla

I am much too FB ignorant to filter/block or adjust the "changes every 2 months" settings

NOT sure who I dislike more, all the FB assholes or Mark Z for being a bazzillionare for his worthless crap app

That said... I joined Mark's group...I am a lurking member to several of the Yahoooy groups and if there ever was a more difficult medium it must be some of my 1983 ~1885 attempts at running a CUG BBS on AOL ....grin...very few reading will understand the correlation.... Yahooy absolutely sux!!!!

As I said, I am a member now for 4 Yahooy groups and still ----over the last 14 years ----cannot seem to understand how to just simply read all the great info folks have added...That is after the endless attempts to log into MY Yahooy account that always wants to demand I use a login e-mail that died a spectacular death back around 2005....despite my attempts to change my Yahooy credentials as I changed ISPs and E-mail back hauls.... Bottom line is, I am convinced the Yahooy software punishes me for NOT choosing AT YAHOOY DOT COM as my free e-mail...opting for G-mail and Skybeam

OK enough of my rant... Mark and a lot of other folks are simply looking for a better alternative to there compendiums of great images and info without the costs of a REAL web site and the archiving --upgrades--changes-- and grief of trying to keep a Domain name and constant hardware and software upgrades

I personally think FB is probably a OK low cost solution but please please please do not cross link to Twatter or INstagrama or any of the other social media crud

fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:22 pm

crankbndr wrote:The Facebook group is a closed group so there is no gossip, ect, ect. The open internet has more access to this site than the Face or .049 group, one reason to use an alias.
I use add and tracking blockers to shoot down Facebook intrusions and it works well.

I shouldn't criticize what I haven't tried or been a part of CB, but believe me it is gossip that dominates. My children and grandchildren and some friends are all on Facebook and I listen (closed car, no escape) to the conversation regarding the site. Sad When you have a network of 150 "friends" or better, it's hard to ignore.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:27 pm

While I haven't been on the yahoo groups much but it will be missed. I used it for research by going through old posts and pictures. It isn't that bad to navigate around it.

I will never join Facebook so I guess I will miss out on new content.
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:15 pm

I have a Facebook account however I never use it. I have little information about myself on it. I actually think my mother uses it (she has my password LOL) to work another "account" for a game called "YoVille" that she plays.

While I don't think I ever really posted much on Mark's site, I've been on it many times in the past. A great wealth of information in not only messages, but in forms of documents and pictures. Sounds like that will all stay up and remain accessible at least.

I suggested to Mark that he could start a forum like this. Offered to help out if he needed it. The software is pretty flexible. Easy to set up. The forum could look completely different than this if he wanted it to be unique, different layout, different colors, complete different software version... While I don't have it activated here, he could set it so members can sign up/sign in with their Facebook account.

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down