Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

So, The Moon Shadow Approaches...and at last, Departs! Cox_ba12

So, The Moon Shadow Approaches...and at last, Departs! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» music vids.. some of your favorites
by Oldenginerod Today at 1:59 am

» Draco Goes Flying, But Misses the Eclipse
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 9:59 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Enya .09 II Questions
by Surfer_kris Yesterday at 2:45 pm

» Wen Mac .049 - Conditioning.
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:21 pm

» Happy 53rd birthday Mauricio!!!
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 11:22 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 10:57 am

» UV Restore of Yellowed Decals
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 8:59 am

» 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive
by roddie Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Post edit??
by roddie Yesterday at 5:33 am

» Original Super Power fuel formula?
by HalfaDave Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:28 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

So, The Moon Shadow Approaches...and at last, Departs! Empty
Live on Patrol

So, The Moon Shadow Approaches...and at last, Departs!

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

So, The Moon Shadow Approaches...and at last, Departs! Empty So, The Moon Shadow Approaches...and at last, Departs!

Post  Kim Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:54 pm

For more than a year now, the hype has been building toward the Total Solar Eclipse later this month. People are renting out their bedrooms and yards for what is supposed to be a multitude or so of solar enthusiasts, and who-knows-what-else, flooding into the swath of totality. There will also be a bunch of camera/instrument equipped balloons launched to monitor the eclipse.

Not wanting to be left out of all the hoopla, I've signed up for an 'Eclipse Float'.  During the midday darkness, I shall be adrift in my kayak in the Cache River over in Illinois.  The Cache (pronounced locally as: 'Cash') is basically a long swamp with only a slight current running down it's middle, that eventually splits in two north of Cairo to drain into both the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers.

The area of the float is in a cypress forest that could double as a Cajun swamp were it not for the absence of Spanish Moss, and is actually quite beautiful in it's own creepy/crawly way.

I've kayaked it several times in cool and warm seasons, but never at night when the big-eyed critters come out to play.  I'm told that we'll be in star-gazing darkness for over two minutes, so I'm hoping that the local Blue Ribbon-size water moccasins are slow to start their rounds.  Whack'n em with a plastic paddle only ticks them off...so I will be adequately equipped.

Miss Beth and I are once again involved, and she will be in her own kayak...this is actually her original idea...and is somewhat 'apprehensive' about the whole deal.  Between the two of us, including phones, we'll have a half-dozen cameras running, and I may try to 'nerd-out' a bit by taking a digital thermometer to monitor the temperature drop as the sun goes away.

In the mean-time, I need to research a filter for my expensive video camera, along with working out a method for not getting it dunked.  Of course, this could all be flushed by a simple layer of cloud cover, but the float will happen regardless.

If I survive this latest post-mid-life-crisis adventure, there SHOULD be some photos and video posted here of the event...with maybe a first-hand dissertation on  emergency room techniques for the treatment of snake bites...and/or self-inflicted gun-shot wounds...

Last edited by Kim on Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:35 pm; edited 4 times in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

So, The Moon Shadow Approaches...and at last, Departs! Empty Re: So, The Moon Shadow Approaches...and at last, Departs!

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:00 pm

Just don't shoot the kayak.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

So, The Moon Shadow Approaches...and at last, Departs! Empty Re: So, The Moon Shadow Approaches...and at last, Departs!

Post  Kim Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:03 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:Just don't shoot the kayak.

Ha! I would probably employ my long-held policy that, if one CAN get into the kayak...it's all his !!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:07 pm

Well Kim, as a southern hemisphere dweller I can't share your experience, but I hope for your sake the skies are clear so you can get the full impact.  Regardless, it's still gonna get dark.  I'm not sure that two minutes is enough for those with "evel eyes" to get 'emselves motivated for hunting in the night time, so I suspect your biggest threat will be the potential dunking.

Might I add, it's nice to hear mention of Miss Beth once again- it seems mention of her has been fairly light-on for a while.  Far be it from me to enquire into your personal life, but I gotta admit my heart gave a flutter when I read your menton of her.  Enough of that!

Back To Topic

Hope to see some nice footage of your adventure.  Stay dry Thumbs Up

Downunder Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:24 pm

Sound like fun, please do get pics.

They're saying we're not going to see much here in MN, only a partial eclipse. We shouldn't notice any dimming of the light or anything like that.

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:33 am

It's a bit funny (to me) that the center of the totality has been moved a bit as the date nears.  I'd always thought this whole astronomy thing could be nailed down to inches, but apparently not...guess I'm 'GPS-Spoiled'!

Our Breezy Hill flying field up in Chester, Illinois will be used as a Medevac Helicopter/Ambulance staging area, with some of the members manning the gates, to allow emergencies to bypass the roads that are expected to be choked with traffic before and after the eclipse.

We're planning on parking my camper in my hometown near the Cache, and taking back roads early in the morning.  Of course, a bunch of other people may be taking the same roads, but we'll see.

Here are some photos of a winter time trip on the Cache.  Beautiful day, though fairly cold.

Public access boat ramp:

So, The Moon Shadow Approaches...and at last, Departs! 2_20

800+ year old Cypress

So, The Moon Shadow Approaches...and at last, Departs! 2_114

So, The Moon Shadow Approaches...and at last, Departs! 3_19

My bud, Rory, trying to get crapped on by our National Symbol.  Lots of bird species living here, including some type of little warbler that only exists on the Cache.  Bald Eagles run the river and nest here through the year.

So, The Moon Shadow Approaches...and at last, Departs! 1_20

So, The Moon Shadow Approaches...and at last, Departs! 0_010

So, The Moon Shadow Approaches...and at last, Departs! 2_21

One of the best friends I'll ever have, Neal Needham and his son, Eric.  Neal was a pricipal force in setting aside the Cache River Refuge, and helping promote it as a Nature Center.  We had a bunch of great years, making racket with our toy airplanes.  He died of lung cancer several years ago, and I'm in contact with Eric about having a Fall cookout in his honor.  A really good guy.

So, The Moon Shadow Approaches...and at last, Departs! Neal10

So, The Moon Shadow Approaches...and at last, Departs! Neal310

So, The Moon Shadow Approaches...and at last, Departs! Neal11
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:02 am

Well it won't bee as long as it has been , August 21th. That place looks a little creepy in the day more less dark ! Maybe the snakes will remember from past experience NOT to mess with Ya'll Sounds like alot of gear to carry on a Kayaya But i have never been in one >> Hope You and Miss Beth have a good time and will bee watching for the conclusion. Popcorn PS. I hate losing old friends too , stupid human thing ((Smile)
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:04 am

getback wrote:Well it won't bee as long as it has been , August 21th. That place looks a little creepy in the day more less dark ! Maybe the snakes will remember from past experience NOT to mess with Ya'll  Sounds like alot of gear to carry on a Kayaya But i have never been in one

Yeah, there's not much room in the assorted white-water types, but mine is a 14 foot long 'Cruiser' that can pack a lot of gear...even with my bulk parked in it.  It's got a water-tight cargo chamber in back, with a long nose that can hold sealed gear.

I've done all the local 'calm' rivers, including many trips on the Mississippi.  Rory and I did the 50 mile stretch from Cape Girardeau to Cairo a few years ago, camping on an island about midway.  This trip included several hilarious (NOW hilarious, anyway) incidents, involving a curious coyote and a propane tent heater and others.  We DO tend to get our money's-worth out of our adventures.  I can't even begin to tell this story properly, but will record and transcribe his version, which still puts me on the floor, gasping with laughter...man, we're goofy....

So, The Moon Shadow Approaches...and at last, Departs! Kayak_10

So, The Moon Shadow Approaches...and at last, Departs! Kayak_12

So, The Moon Shadow Approaches...and at last, Departs! Kayak_11
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:46 am

Sure hope there was not a Ned Beatty "Squeal like a Pig!" component to the adventure

never Kayaked but did several Canoe trips way back when

I hate portaging around Beaver dams.....but a long story for another day
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:04 pm

The latest issue of National Geographic has an article about the eclipse.  Shows the arc of totality across the entire US.  

My grandson lives not to far away from Rusty in Irmo South Carolina which appears to the right in the center of the event.  His Mom and Dad will probably make a trip down to observe.   We should see about 80/85% here in West Virginia.

So, The Moon Shadow Approaches...and at last, Departs! Ng_00110 

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:20 pm

Yes, my house in Columbia is almost dead center of the shadow. We're all equipped for the event and will watch in my yard. I'm going to use the lens out of a spare pair of viewing glasses to tape over my camera lens for some good shots.

I have a great series of a total Lunar eclipse that I shot with a borrowed SLR a decade or so ago.

Bob, my Son and his family as well as my sister and hers all live in Irmo too. Sis lives right on Lake Murray. Maybe someday we'll find an opportunity to connect.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:13 am

RknRusty wrote:I'm going to use the lens out of a spare pair of viewing glasses to tape over my camera lens for some good shots.

You could also use 1 or more floppy disks to view or take pictures of the sun. Stack them up while holding the doors open on each one. A welding helmet or the glass out of one would be great as well.

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:44 am

RknRusty wrote:Yes, my house in Columbia is almost dead center of the shadow. We're all equipped for the event and will watch in my yard. I'm going to use the lens out of a spare pair of viewing glasses to tape over my camera lens for some good shots.

I have a great series of a total Lunar eclipse that I shot with a borrowed SLR a decade or so ago.

Bob, my Son and his family as well as my sister and hers all live in Irmo too. Sis lives right on Lake Murray. Maybe someday we'll find an opportunity to connect.
Rusty

Small world Rusty, meeting up with you would be fantastic.

My Grandson is a TSA agent at the airport and has discovered the charms of Lake Murray and the people of South Carolina. He transferred from the chaos of Denver's International to Columbia Regional about six months ago. He was struck by the difference in peoples attitudes from those in Denver. So polite and well spoken are the Carolinian's he comments, "They actually thank me for doing my job."

He's only 21 yet he scored so high on his entrance exam that they hired him on the spot. Then he graduated at top of his class competing against older students. He loves to camp and kayak too.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:23 pm

I forgot to mention- in my original response to this thread -that the Topic Title threw me for a loop

Knowing Kim, and all his diverse and eclectic friends from all sorts of aero and other hobbies

and added in---- are all the various people, over the years, that give their kids some funky names

I read the title
(So-The Moon Shadow Approaches)
As, some Uncle, cousin, niece, or nephew of his--- coming to visit the weird guy on the hill

Mostly because these days--- I live totally TV , Paper, or Radio-- NEWS free---- so I had no idea about any eclipse
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:28 pm

Oh Yeah, it could be a lead-in title to about anything I suppose. I read from a lot of sites like NASA and Sky-Watch for what's going on with the Mars Rovers and Cassini probes and such, along with comet data (got one now I'm gonna try to spot), so I had some knowledge a while back about a coming Solar Eclipse.

I had a chuckle more than a year ago though, when driving up to the Breezy Hill Field, I passed a parking lot in Perryville, Missouri, with a big sign saying, 'Official Eclipse Viewing Site'. I told the guys that I sure hoped it was still legal for me to look at the eclipse in a NON-Official viewing site!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:39 pm

Hellofa horror movie title too, Fred/Kim Smile
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:22 pm

Down here on the underside of the globe, apparently we had a full Lunar eclipse last night, at around 4am. No way I was getting up at that time just to look at a shadow. Moon was bright & shiny when I hit the hay and well & truly gone when I woke up, so I assume it happened. Then again, if a tree falls in the forest....... Huh...
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  coxaddict Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:06 pm

Yeah pretty boring stuff. Witnessed one a few years ago and I was the last one out there as my family got tired watching and went into the house and went to bed. Solar eclipse on the other hand make you feel weird and depressed as the sky becomes an ugly orange hue. Watched it wearing a welding helmet at work a few decades ago. Devil
coxaddict
coxaddict
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:07 pm

And we got it done:

After the ton of hype, threats of the masses engulfing all our communities, and assorted religious cuckoos' sermons of doom, the moon's shadow has skittered off the edge of the Earth, and back into space where it resides most of the time.

Securely ensconced in our kayaks (as secure an ensconce as a kayak can offer), Miss Beth and myself and a bunch of other like minded types parked ourselves in a humid southern Illinois swamp, and waited for the moon shade we'd been promised.

I've got to admit, it WAS spectacular, actually being worth the insect bites and gumbo-mud-packed-stinking hiking boots (there's no such thing as a 'shore line' or 'bank' in a swamp---just places where you sink a little slower than in other places).

The Cache River Swampland is a beautiful place, on it's own terms, and I think Beth picked a great way to watch the eclipse.  I'm also pretty sure that I watched the contrails from one of the Canberra 'Eclipse Chaser' jets that were tracking the moon's shadow.

The swamp went dark, and the crickets started chirping AND the temp did drop a bit.  The eclipse seemed to take the edge off of the heat we'd been paddling through for two hours, and we had a pretty easy trip back to White Crane Canoe Rental---the host of the trip.  

Also, to plug a local business, theirs is a great one to check out if you like this kind of stuff, and find yourself near enough to drop in.

White Crane Canoe Rentals and Guide Service
(618) 201-4090

https://www.facebook.com/White-Crane-Canoe-Rentals-and-Guide-Service-151644418211973/

So, The Moon Shadow Approaches...and at last, Departs! 1_22

So, The Moon Shadow Approaches...and at last, Departs! 1_010

So, The Moon Shadow Approaches...and at last, Departs! 1_113

So, The Moon Shadow Approaches...and at last, Departs! 2_010

So, The Moon Shadow Approaches...and at last, Departs! 3_011

So, The Moon Shadow Approaches...and at last, Departs! 5_010

Now, for a few days of seclusion, with just me and my workshop...

Swamp Thing Kim
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:11 pm

Pretty good caravan of Sungazers, I'm glad y'all got that expedition together. I had no idea the shadow hounds would be as widespread as they were, but that's great. I'm happy that so many people are interested. Holley and I had our two person gazing team in our backyard here in Columbia.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:39 am

Hey Kim , sounds like a bunch of wild ones up your way was anyone Howling at the moon ? Just kidding man looks like ya'll had a great time and was worth the trip! I Love This Forum!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:57 am

getback wrote:Hey Kim , sounds like a bunch of wild ones up your way was anyone Howling at the moon ? Just kidding man looks like ya'll had a great time and was worth the trip! I Love This Forum!

Actually there WAS a bunch of howling....at least at the Ozzy Osbourne Concert up near Carbondale! Beth's daughter, Fallon, had camped for four days across that event, and was out in there somewhere!

Among the parked kayaks and canoes, there was a collective "Whoa!", hushed silence, then cheers as 'The Diamond Ring' appeared toward the end of totality.

I had been fidgeting with my cameras, trying to get a reasonable photo of the thing, but finally just put them down and enjoyed the moment.

Pretty special stuff.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:49 am

1:30 PM, April 8, 2024;
A total Eclipse over my dirt
a little less than 7 years

If I start now, I might be prepared for it

Procrastinator Fred
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:59 am

fredvon4 wrote:1:30 PM, April 8, 2024;

Procrastinator Fred

Yup, passes close to us in northern WV too. Lesssee, 6 years +, 86 years old, might pass over my dirt also. Smile

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:12 am

rsv1cox wrote:
fredvon4 wrote:1:30 PM, April 8, 2024;

Procrastinator Fred

Yup, passes close to us in northern WV too.  Lesssee, 6 years +, 86 years old, might pass over my dirt also.  Smile

Bob
lol! That'd be funny... if it wasn't.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next