Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Couldn't help myself. Cox_ba12

Couldn't help myself. Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Simple Gliders
by getback Today at 7:13 am

» Cox PT-19 Wing
by getback Today at 6:24 am

» Foam hand kids glider converted to 0.049 CL
by getback Today at 6:23 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by getback Today at 6:17 am

» Golden Bee basic running problem
by roddie Yesterday at 10:51 pm

» Weird search for a single comic from an old Mad Magazine
by Kim Yesterday at 1:44 pm

» Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!.
by getback Yesterday at 7:27 am

» Cox .049 Tee Dee engines back in stock (limited availablility)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 1:05 am

» Very off-topic.........Time passes and not always for the best......
by rsv1cox Thu Jul 25, 2024 2:47 pm

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by rsv1cox Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:30 pm

» Throttles for Cox Tee Dee .049 / .020 / .010 engines --- videos
by sosam117 Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:54 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Admin Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:00 am

Cox Engine of The Month
July-2024
robot797's

"ULTIMITE COX 010: it has a clutch, E starter, throttle, exhaust, aluminum tank, aluminum venturi, gearbox with forward and reverse, and now its on a custom drawn and printed stand"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Couldn't help myself. Empty
Live on Patrol

Couldn't help myself.

Go down

Couldn't help myself. Empty Couldn't help myself.

Post  Oldenginerod Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:35 pm

Well here I was hoping I'd score an orphaned McCoy #1 .049 on ebay.  
Couldn't help myself. S-l16012
Opening bid was $1 and that's what I got it for.  Yay...  After sharing a few niceties with the seller he tells me he has heaps of old stuff he's clearing out from his dad's collection.  "I'll send you some pictures and let you pick a couple of engines or parts and I'll include them in the same package, no charge."  Well, that's pretty nice.  I get some pictures and start choosing.  Picked my two best choices and happened to mention my liking for Enyas.  Well, here's what's on the way for $1 plus $22.75 postage.  I think I scored well.
Couldn't help myself. 03410

I told no lies.  "Gee, those two in the middle are pretty neat, and I like the one with the red top". Hats Off
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Couldn't help myself. Empty Re: Couldn't help myself.

Post  dckrsn Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:26 pm

Good things happen to good people.
Hats off Rod,
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:03 pm

Way to go Rod! Ya gotta good deal on that one for sure! It that from Australia E Bay, or US?
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:30 pm

Wow!!! I am not sure about the Enyas but the 051 & 09 Tee Dees both are of first generation thin wall cylinder design.
Good catch!
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:07 am

Marleysky wrote:Way to go Rod!  Ya gotta good deal on that one for sure! It that from Australia E Bay, or US?

US seller.  I wondered if there was going to be a catch (can't be sure there isn't until they get here) because I can't understand why the guy was selling some stuff on ebay but none of this was listed except the original McCoy I bought.  Just seems really happy to give it away.   He seemed more interested in listing a heap of props for sale rather than the engines.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:14 am

This is him.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/hm13056/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

He also had this. Couldn't help myself. Pictur10
I wondered what it was and now think it could be an incomplete O&R Midjet.  Too much of it missing to interest me & I didn't want to be too greedy.

Yep. Just did a search and it is an O&R for sure.

Last edited by Oldenginerod on Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:17 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Extra information)
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:29 am

Great Score Rod !!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:28 am

WOW Sometimes you just get lucky , Good for you Sir. Small Cox Logo
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:12 am

Rod, that red top sandcast Enya .19 caught my eye as well as your's I'm sure. Add in the others and you hit the honey hole for sure.

Good on ya! - Bob

PS - despite the temptation I'm not going to his link. Got to finish this miserable MG Midget first.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:56 pm

Good haul for a buck, no matter the international postal cost .... if I read you right you got 6 engines for $24 +/-

and they all look to be interesting engines to play with
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:16 pm

fredvon4 wrote:Good haul for a buck, no matter the international postal cost .... if I read you right you got 6 engines for $24 +/-

and they all look to be interesting engines to play with

Yep, that's about it. The Tee Dees were an obvious pick & hopefully can get some use. The sand cast Enya is a classic and couldn't be passed up if offered. The other Enyas he just threw in. As I said, the conscience is starting to kick in due to the potential value of the haul, but I'm sure I'll get over it Laughing
Supposed to be in the post, but I won't count them chickens until the package gets here.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:41 pm

That's really great Rod! You know that oftentimes the seller may be "unattached" to the items.. but wants them to go to someone who will appreciate them.. especially if they belonged to family. In this case; his dad. The fact that you "inquired" (shared niceties..) likely struck a nerve.. and I'm sure that the man knows that his dad's engines will be going to a good home. Don't feel guilty Rod. You are "rescuing" those engines.. Smile
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:58 pm

Well they got here.  I'm not even going to talk about the one engine I paid for ($1).  I just want Bob to check these out & be envious Laughing
Couldn't help myself. Img_0016
Couldn't help myself. Img_0017
Couldn't help myself. Img_0110
Looks barely used.  Feels great.  Cool exhaust stack but makes the engine unusable due to muffler requirements.

Then this.  A little tarnished but tight as a drum.  Just needs an NVA.
Couldn't help myself. Img_0112
Couldn't help myself. Img_0111

So then comes this old thing!
Couldn't help myself. Img_0115
Couldn't help myself. Img_0113
Couldn't help myself. Img_0114

Sadly quite a few dings on the head fins, but otherwise really tidy & complete.

Oh, by the way, there were a couple of Coxs in the box, if anyone's interested.
Couldn't help myself. Img_0117
Couldn't help myself. Img_0116
Rod.  (Like a kid at Christmas Laughing )
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:11 pm

Well, maybe I didn't state my intentions for the two Tee Dees clearly.  Sorry, no they're not for sale.  "If anyone's interested" was just a sarcastic comment made due to me flooding a Cox forum with Enyas.  No more offers please.  They were my initial first choice when offered a "pick of the bunch".  The Enyas were just a bonus the guy threw in, but I tried to make Bob envious with the sand-cast .19 Laughing

Might have to find a muffler for the .09 Tee Dee so I can actually bolt it to something & fly it.  I'll certainly be looking at all the issues which have caused a few stumbles in Roddie's efforts with his .09.

Rod.

Last edited by Oldenginerod on Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:27 am

Envious Rod, ENVIOUS? Your darn right I am, been so ever since you posted this thread. Smile

The 4002 .19 is a thing of beauty (to an Enya guy). I always check out the nickle screws, they look untouched. Buff off the prop nut and it's perfect. Enya made two versions of this, one with an oval (like yours) exhaust port and one with an "airfoil"or "tear drop" style port. I don't know which came first or if they were produced concurrently. I have several of each so they were not just casual miss-casts.

The .09 has been disassembled and is missing the NVA. A new set of screws and a NVA from Bob Brooks fixes that.

The three case bolt .19 is the star. Highly desired by collectors and not many around. I had to go to France (ebay) to get mine. I'll double your profit. Two bucks USD for the bunch. Smile Enjoy your good fortune as I know you will. Deals like that are one in a life time.

Funny, before logging on this morning I looked at my display case and got sort of a twinge. The MG is coming to fruition along with cold weather, I will be looking for something to occupy my time. Sitting still for me isn't an option.

Couldn't help myself. Printe15
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:54 pm

rsv1cox wrote:
The .09 has been disassembled and is missing the NVA.  A new set of screws and a NVA from Bob Brooks fixes that.
Actually, the screws aren't nearly as bad as they appear in the picture.  As for parts, I haven't tested them for stock yet, but buying direct from Enya is far cheaper than from Bob Brooks, particularly since if I have to ship them all the way out here, Japan is closer & shipping cost is less than from the USA

rsv1cox wrote:
The three case bolt .19 is the star........  I'll double your profit.  Two bucks USD for the bunch.  Smile  
Yeah, right Razz Money Toss
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:55 pm

Well the 19 sand-cast went in the test stand today. Didn't bother to clean it up any. It was stuck but a quick squirt of WD and she freed right up. Gave it a good flush with fuel and replaced the dead plug with my oldest Enya plug (the first I ever got & has run in numerous engines), a couple of flicks & she was running on the prime. Sounds fantastic. Compression is perfect.
So, thought I'd give the 4002 19 a shot as well. This one hasn't been dismantled either, but got a good anti-freeze cookin'.
Same deal. A couple of flicks and off she went. Pity these ones aren't for flying Laughing
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:01 am

Update!

I gotta admit, I feel a little sorry for the old McCoy #1.  It was my original purchase in all this, but apart from an anti-freeze bath it has been sadly neglected as I soak in the wonderment of the other engines that were included with it.

I've spoken about the two Enya .19s.  The Enya .09 has cleaned up nicely and just needs a spray bar before a test run.  I didn't boil the two Tee Dees as I haven't dismantled them to remove the plastic and anodized parts.  They were both locked pretty solid.  Well, today I gave them a good spray with brake cleaner, followed by a generous soaking in WD spray.  Attached a prop to each and wriggled until I gradually got some movement.  The .09 has come up nice and free.  I'm glad because I don't have the .09 wrenches to tear it down.  The .051 is a little more stubborn. While it does turn, it's very stiff, so I'll dismantle it and see if I can get it devarnished.  Both of them showed lots of really thick castor varnish.  For some reason the brake cleaner worked a treat on the .09, so the .051 must have been put away with different fuel residue inside.  I'm guessing the crank is really gummed.  We'll see.

Oh, and the McCoy?  Well, I'll get around to it. lol!
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:09 pm

Hey Rod, Regarding that little Testors/McCoy .049 engine..  Huh...  How does it compare to the reed-valve/"pipe-bomb" engines in terms of inter-changeability? I recently posted about my rotary-valve engine sourced recently; that has a broken crank and connecting-rod. I don't know much about the Testors/McCoy .049's.. and was wondering about the cylinder/piston inter-changeability.. between the reed/rotary-valve engines.. as well as the crankshaft inter-changeability between the different "rotary-valve" engines.

My rotary-valve engine looks a lot different than yours..

Couldn't help myself. Dsc04831

I'd really like to source a new "crank" for it.. if I knew that I could interchange a cylinder/piston set that would work. The cylinder on "my" engine, looks quite similar to the reed-valve variants of which I have a couple of.

Have you ever removed the "crank" from one of these engines; having that type of starter-spring housing? Is it similar to a "Cox" drive-plate in terms of being "splined"? I would guess that it is.. but as I mentioned.. I'm not familiar with these engines at all.

Hope that you give a report on that little engine.. that led you to such a "great-find" in the vintage Enya's and Cox Tee Dees!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:35 am

Roddie. Even though the cylinder design differs between your "Red Head" and mine I'm pretty sure most parts are interchangeable. I also think you'll find the Pipe Bomb cylinder/piston will fit. Of course, the crank won't as it's not drilled for the front rotary valve. As I mentioned in another post, I have spares if you get desperate.

The splined drive plate removal is simple. Whatever you do, don't try to lever it off as the one-way clutch is easily damaged. Just lay the engine on it's back and give the end of the crank a light tap. Once the drive plate is off just be careful the starter spring doesn't try to escape. Laughing
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:26 pm

Oldenginerod wrote:Roddie.  Even though the cylinder design differs between your "Red Head" and mine I'm pretty sure most parts are interchangeable.  I also think you'll find the Pipe Bomb cylinder/piston will fit.  Of course, the crank won't as it's not drilled for the front rotary valve.  As I mentioned in another post, I have spares if you get desperate.

The splined drive plate removal is simple.  Whatever you do, don't try to lever it off as the one-way clutch is easily damaged.  Just lay the engine on it's back and give the end of the crank a light tap.  Once the drive plate is off just be careful the starter spring doesn't try to escape. Laughing

Thanks much Rod. Thanks also for offering a replacement crankshaft.. but I'll try to source one locally. This engine wasn't high on my list of modelling priorities.. but I got curious last night and took it out of the "box-o-engines" after reading about "yours". It had a Testors prop mounted.. and the engine was mounted to a white-plastic firewall when I received it. I turned the prop and thought.. "NICE.. it's not stuck". Then I noticed that the piston wasn't moving.. Shocked

I try to archive photos that interest me, of what I've seen posted here on CEF.. and have an engine folder of various manufacturers. In my "Testors" folder were photos that Kim Stricker posted back in 2015 of a very similar engine.. mounted to the same (Cosmic Wind??) white-plastic backplate.. complete with the same nut and bolt nose-weight.. as was on mine.

Kim's photos..

Couldn't help myself. Rotary10
Couldn't help myself. Rotary11

my engine..

Couldn't help myself. Dsc04832

I found that to be a very interesting coincidence. What are the chances that I'd receive the same engine mounted to the same firewall as one that Kim posted.. and I'd saved in my folder? I'd previously thought that nose-weight to be a "red-neck" mod. but apparently Testors used them to balance the airplane.

My Cox Cosmic-Wind (previously a Testors mold) has a significant lead-weight in the nose.. held into the bottom/front section with a small sheet-metal screw.

Couldn't help myself. 6-6-1411
Couldn't help myself. 6-6-1410
Couldn't help myself. Cosmic13

Apparently Testors produced "two" different-size versions of their Cosmic Wind model ("Silver Wind"); both being 1/2A size C/L models. The "larger" having the front rotary-valve engine.. and the smaller likely having the less powerful reed-valve product/"pipe-bomb" engine.

Couldn't help myself. Silver10

I believe that Cox later acquired and modified the molds from Testors to reproduce the smaller 16" span variant for their newly designed modular product reed-valve .049 engine with the horseshoe-backplate.

I have the 1986 version of that Cox model.. shown here with an ExModel Engines "Black Lynx" h/p engine installed.

Couldn't help myself. Black_13

There's still a very slight wing-warp on the inboard T/E. There were warps on "both sides" that I tried to reset by clamping a while back.. but I'll need to re-apply a clamp and use my heat-gun in an effort to permanently set it. I have reservations with flying the model.. but I'd like to straighten-out the wings regardless.

The Testors/Cox story of the Cosmic Wind model is one that I'd like to learn more about.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down