Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Thanks for the add. Cox_ba12

Thanks for the add. Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 5:40 pm

» Cox P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer
by Wayne Brown Today at 5:39 pm

» thread measurements
by MauricioB Today at 5:33 pm

» Cox Thompson Trophy Winner
by Jerry Today at 5:20 pm

» COX 010 TeeDee with RC carb, courtesy sosam 117
by rdw777 Today at 3:08 pm

» "Me and Crazy Horse...Our Anniversary"
by fit90 Today at 2:52 pm

» a cheap sport muffler
by robot797 Today at 1:34 pm

» OS 10FSR Carb Needed
by Cougar 429 Today at 1:14 pm

» AP .061 Hornet
by F4D Phantom II Yesterday at 10:01 pm

» dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:46 pm

» Re-manufactured Enya .06-II for Boats13
by Boats13 Yesterday at 7:32 pm

» TD 09 Ducted Fan
by getback Yesterday at 8:41 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Thanks for the add. Empty
Live on Patrol

Thanks for the add.

Go down

Thanks for the add. Empty Thanks for the add.

Post  jsraider Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:35 pm

I recently bought and old COX Cessna 200 RC plane off my neighbor who had it stored in his garage since he was a kid. The story goes his mom used to work for COX back when they were in Orange County, CA and every year for Christmas he and his brother would get something that was made by COX every year, "pretty cool". There is more to this story including missing or stolen child hood items, but I will save that for another time perhaps.

In the mean time I would like to restore this old plane to flight worthy condition. "Not sure whether I would actually fly it or not, though I have flown RC planes for many years I would hate to crash it."

The plane came complete with an old (surprised to find) Sanwa 4 channel radio already installed. Unfortunately the rechargeable batteries are toast, but it did come with a backup alkaline battery holder for the transmitter and receiver.

The engine looks to be a muffled 0.49 QRC, it has the larger tank but is not colored red and has the spring starter but no plastic washer. The engine is locked up, "no doubt run and then put to bed", which is a bummer. From what I remember these metal (vs plastic) tanked 0.49's could handle a bath in carb cleaner. I would like to turn this QRC into a throttled 0.49, what is the best way into doing this?
jsraider
jsraider

Back to top Go down

Thanks for the add. Empty Re: Thanks for the add.

Post  rsv1cox Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:31 am

Many members here use the "Crock-pot boil antifreeze" method.  Find an old smaller version crock pot, buy some antifreeze and boil it for about 4-6 hours and it comes out remarkably clean with no ill effects.  I follow up with a Simple Green/hot water rinse, then a squirt or two of Remoil, or 3in1 oil followed by a compressed air blow-out.  First loosen the fuel tank screws along with the head.  Not necessary if they are gunked up tight as the A/F mixture will free them.  

Or yes, carb/brake cleaner/glow fuel will work, just not as well.

Good luck with your project.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:53 am

Welcome to the forum jsraider ! Here is a link to EX model engines they have the Throttle ring that should fit that engine ?  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cox-049-Airplane-Engine-RC-Throttle-Sleeve-Ring-049-/282087459979?epid=908959584&hash=item41adb90c8b:g:hG4AAOSwLVZV0Lle  You could email Matt there and ask him , it is strange that it is a RC engine But no throttle !?! Even if it it won't fit your current pis/cly set up you can still replace it with one that's ground down that will . Just hook throttle wire from servo to it . Very Happy This Site Rocks!  Have you seen this ??  http://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/cox_frameset.htm  lot's of good info there .
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:26 am

jsraider wrote:I recently bought and old COX Cessna 200 RC plane off my neighbor who had it stored in his garage since he was a kid. The story goes his mom used to work for COX back when they were in Orange County, CA and every year for Christmas he and his brother would get something that was made by COX every year, "pretty cool". There is more to this story including missing or stolen child hood items, but I will save that for another time perhaps.

In the mean time I would like to restore this old plane to flight worthy condition. "Not sure whether I would actually fly it or not, though I have flown RC planes for many years I would hate to crash it."

The plane came complete with an old (surprised to find) Sanwa 4 channel radio already installed. Unfortunately the rechargeable batteries are toast, but it did come with a backup alkaline battery holder for the transmitter and receiver.

The engine looks to be a muffled 0.49 QRC, it has the larger tank but is not colored red and has the spring starter but no plastic washer. The engine is locked up, "no doubt run and then put to bed", which is a bummer. From what I remember these metal (vs plastic) tanked 0.49's could handle a bath in carb cleaner. I would like to turn this QRC into a throttled 0.49, what is the best way into doing this?

Hi There! My Two Cents .. is this the engine that's in the model?

Thanks for the add. Cox_qr10

If so; the plastic "cam" for the starter-spring that fits the "hex-shaped" prop-drive plate is available from either ExModel engines or Cox International. It's likely the standard "R/H" version. Both R/H and L/H are available.. so make sure you order the correct part. The "QZ" engine is a reed-valve design which will run in either direction.

If you're an "inventive-tinkerer"... you may be able to use the venturi-throttle (an "Ace RC" design) reproduced by Cox International and applicable to the aforementioned engine.

Thanks for the add. Cox_in11
Thanks for the add. Cox_in12

You'd obviously need a separate radio-channel for the throttle-servo. The models "firewall" would need to be modified.. and would also need space "behind it" for a linkage and small (nano-size) servo. I'm unfamiliar with the Cessna 200 model.. so this throttle suggestion may not be applicable.

Best of luck.. and WELCOME to the forum!  Thumbs Up  Small Cox Logo
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum