Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Running one of my TD .09's Cox_ba12

Running one of my TD .09's Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Original Box for Bendix Trophy Racer Value
by Wayne Brown Today at 11:09 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 5:40 pm

» Cox P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer
by Wayne Brown Today at 5:39 pm

» thread measurements
by MauricioB Today at 5:33 pm

» Cox Thompson Trophy Winner
by Jerry Today at 5:20 pm

» COX 010 TeeDee with RC carb, courtesy sosam 117
by rdw777 Today at 3:08 pm

» "Me and Crazy Horse...Our Anniversary"
by fit90 Today at 2:52 pm

» a cheap sport muffler
by robot797 Today at 1:34 pm

» OS 10FSR Carb Needed
by Cougar 429 Today at 1:14 pm

» AP .061 Hornet
by F4D Phantom II Yesterday at 10:01 pm

» dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:46 pm

» Re-manufactured Enya .06-II for Boats13
by Boats13 Yesterday at 7:32 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Running one of my TD .09's Empty
Live on Patrol

Running one of my TD .09's

Go down

Running one of my TD .09's Empty Running one of my TD .09's

Post  TDbandit Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:01 pm

Hi all, it's been a while lol but here is another one of my Run video's. It took me a while to get this .09 going but it ran well considering how low the compression was. It did manage to pop the prop loose as you will hear a loud pop when it kicks the prop. no damage done though. Prop is an APC 7x4 and sorry no Tach at the time Sad Hope you enjoy (Bandit) Small Cox Logo I Love This Forum!

Heres a direct link too
Sorry for me blocking the view somewhat
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Running one of my TD .09's Empty Re: Running one of my TD .09's

Post  1/2A Nut Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:16 pm

7 mins into the vid it runs if you don't want to fall asleep waiting lol Laughing

Best steady read 16,472 rpm @ 8:44 into the vid.
Static: 29.3 oz thrust / .309hp / 231w / 62.3 mph
Cox Super Power 35% / 1 gasket.

Thank you for sharing your results.

Small Cox Logo
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:28 pm

TDbandit wrote:Hi all, it's been a while lol but here is another one of my Run video's. It took me a while to get this .09 going but it ran well considering how low the compression was. It did manage to pop the prop loose as you will hear a loud pop when it kicks the prop. no damage done though. Prop is an APC 7x4 and sorry no Tach at the time Sad Hope you enjoy (Bandit) Small Cox Logo I Love This Forum!

Heres a direct link too

Hey Bandit, I'm inviting you to put photos and videos of our engines running, I think it's good for the forum to have a place to run engines, to share information and make it easy to find!
By the way, I'm only a few laps around your own, mine at 16500 rpm, that is, we're the same! Thumbs Up
https://www.coxengineforum.com/t11232-my-engine-running

Last edited by MauricioB on Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:29 pm

1/2A Nut wrote:7 mins into the vid it runs if you don't want to fall asleep waiting lol Laughing

Small Cox Logo

Friend you are a good supervisor! ... we have the data by sound surely, no? Smile
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:43 pm

1/2A Nut wrote:7 mins into the vid it runs if you don't want to fall asleep waiting lol Laughing

Small Cox Logo
Yeah i know sorry lol, the compression was rather lousy so it kinda made it difficult to get it to light off quick. In fact I was pleasantly surprised that it ran that good I figure it was near 17k from the way it sounded. Now to hunt for a P/C set. (Bandit) Flying
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:48 pm

Yes Mauricio,

I used my sound meter on it, easy enough to do then ran the results through
a thrust / power calc program to nail down the performance data. TD engines
have a nice steady tone to read from.

Small Cox Logo
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:51 pm

MauricioB wrote:
TDbandit wrote:Hi all, it's been a while lol but here is another one of my Run video's. It took me a while to get this .09 going but it ran well considering how low the compression was. It did manage to pop the prop loose as you will hear a loud pop when it kicks the prop. no damage done though. Prop is an APC 7x4 and sorry no Tach at the time Sad Hope you enjoy (Bandit) Small Cox Logo I Love This Forum!

Heres a direct link too

Hey Bandit, I'm inviting you to put photos and videos of our engines running, I think it's good for the forum to have a place to run engines, to share information and make it easy to find!
By the way, I'm only a few laps around your own, mine at 16500 rpm, that is, we're the same! Thumbs Up
Lol yup and mine has really bad compression so it would of been quicker if the compression was better.

I do it, I have quite a few vids and pics of engines running so i'll pop a few over there. Smile
(Bandit)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:16 pm

TDbandit wrote:
MauricioB wrote:

Heres a direct link too

Lol yup and mine has really bad compression so it would of been quicker if the compression was better.

I do it, I have quite a few vids and pics of engines running so i'll pop a few over there. Smile
(Bandit)

Excellent ... will be a great contribution among all the forum! Very Happy
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:11 pm

Hello Bandit I have audio tached your vid and here is the speed of your TD09:

Running one of my TD .09's Screen10
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:22 pm

This is not the best rpm of the run..I checked again and it peaked around 16300 rpm. Pretty fast for an engine with a blow-by problem.

Maybe your vid vibrated but when you flipped the prop I saw the spinner doing some samba...Maybe just my not quite sharp eyes and the small screen of my laptop....Is the crankshaft-to-case fit good?
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:24 pm

I set minimum at 3000 to get a finer read on the top end set at 19,000 max rpm.
Best steady read 16,472 rpm @ 8:44 mins. into the vid

If the perimeters are too far out it fudges the data numbers a bit.

RC Plane
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:29 pm

Yes Brad, I had the max first set at 50k and then it measured 31k...it looks like narrowing the range improves the tach accuracy of this phone app.

Here is my new catch at 9:10 into the vid:

Running one of my TD .09's Screen11
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:34 pm

Hi Dave, Thanks for posting this vid. As you may know; I recently did some work on a Tee Dee .09 that was given to me earlier in the Summer by a fella down the road a bit.. along with a boxful of various old C/L parts-engines.

If I can get mine running.. I also have a Jr. Ring which is built and almost ready to fly. I'd need to modify the bearers though. They're a bit too wide.

The APC 7 x 4 seemed to run pretty well on your engine. Maybe it wont be as cantankerous to start now that you have a needle-setting.. and knowing how much of a prime it needs?

Bob Dickerson sent me a Tee Dee head and Cox 7 x 3.5 prop.. so that's what I'll try to run it with. My last attempt was with an 8 x 4 woody... and a Medallion head. I also discovered that I had intermittent continuity with my Cox glow-clip.. so I too was flipping.. flipping and flipping to no joy. A pop and spit here and there.. but that was it.

I also have a "Rev-Up" Special Pro Series-3 7 x 2.8 that could be interesting. Its' hub-hole however is .187" diameter as compared to the .212" diameter boss on the .09's drive-plate. I'm not sure where that prop came from.. but maybe it was run on one of my hand-me-down Fox .15 steel-fins.

Running one of my TD .09's Rev-up10
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:54 pm

Priming the side of the piston helps a lot with the starting. It really should fire and run-out each prime and that will give you a "feel" for the engine. Once the priming is well under controlled, then connect the fuel tank and do the same. They should fire right up Smile
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:04 pm

balogh wrote:This is not the best rpm of the run..I checked again and it peaked around 16300 rpm. Pretty fast for an engine with a blow-by problem.

Maybe your vid vibrated but when you flipped the prop I saw the spinner doing some samba...Maybe just my not quite sharp eyes and the small screen of my laptop....Is the crankshaft-to-case fit good?
Yeah it was doing the hula lol that's why it popped the prop loose. I straightened it out and tightened it and fixed it.
But yeah It suprized me too the crank to case fit is good, it's just the P/C that's wore out. BTW a good bit of the problem turned out to be my dang battery box, wasn't getting a hot glow. Fixed it and got a one flip start. (Bandit)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:21 pm

roddie wrote:Hi Dave, Thanks for posting this vid. As you may know; I recently did some work on a Tee Dee .09 that was given to me earlier in the Summer by a fella down the road a bit.. along with a boxful of various old C/L parts-engines.

If I can get mine running.. I also have a Jr. Ring which is built and almost ready to fly. I'd need to modify the bearers though. They're a bit too wide.

The APC 7 x 4 seemed to run pretty well on your engine. Maybe it wont be as cantankerous to start now that you have a needle-setting.. and knowing how much of a prime it needs?

Bob Dickerson sent me a Tee Dee head and Cox 7 x 3.5 prop.. so that's what I'll try to run it with. My last attempt was with an 8 x 4 woody... and a Medallion head. I also discovered that I had intermittent continuity with my Cox glow-clip.. so I too was flipping.. flipping and flipping to no joy. A pop and spit here and there.. but that was it.

I also have a "Rev-Up" Special Pro Series-3 7 x 2.8 that could be interesting. Its' hub-hole however is .187" diameter as compared to the .212" diameter boss on the .09's drive-plate. I'm not sure where that prop came from.. but maybe it was run on one of my hand-me-down Fox .15 steel-fins.

Running one of my TD .09's Rev-up10
That Rev-Up would be interesting to see, I would also like to try one of those APC 7x3.5's as well and see what mine would do. I ran my other TD .09 which i've had since a kid has very little time on it and it wasn't getting any more than 15,300 RPM with the same prop and fuel but i'm guessing it's because it needs more breakin so I'm gonna put it through a good breakin and try again.

About the clip, it turns out most of my starting problem was the battery box itself (one of the old cox D-cell boxes). I pulled apart the box, cleaned the contacts, reassembled and tried again and bingo first flip start. Kinda helps to make that little element mad lol.
(Bandit) Babe Bee .049
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:37 am

There is also a Rev-up 7x3.5 prop that Brodak used to carry (I haven't checked lately). These wooden props have really nice and thin blades, much better than the ones from Zinger...
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:57 pm

Here is a picture of the Rev-up props that are suitable. The 7x3.5 is close to the Cox one in terms of while load, while the 7x5 is also a very good prop if the engine can handle it. The blades of the 7x5 are a little smaller in area and the load isn't quite as much higher as the pitch indicates.

For a plane without a landing gear though, I would recommend wooden props. It only takes one landing where the prop doesn't quite stop in the right position and the prop will snap. APC is similar, but he MAS (the latest version) are quite good, smaller area and thinner blades than MAS used to have and they are a little better at taking a beating. You have to deburr all the edges though, or you'll cut your fingers...

Running one of my TD .09's Img_1914
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down