Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!


Removal of front nose spinner .049 Cox_ba12




Removal of front nose spinner .049 Pixel

Log in

I forgot my password

Search
 
 

Display results as :
 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» The Q-Tee Gets Ready for Another Set of Flights
by Yabby Today at 5:09 am

» ebay Beechcraft Staggerwing project arrives today
by GallopingGhostler Today at 1:24 am

» 50 weight cadtor
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 4:46 pm

» Mecoa Cox pt19
by Coxfledgling Yesterday at 3:12 am

» Remember the Micro Stick from about 10 years ago?
by dondaniels59 Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:30 pm

» Super Bee 049
by Oldenginerod Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:02 pm

» A song by Roddie
by HalfaDave Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:33 am

» Flying lines and length
by Ken Cook Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:07 am

» A couple more new to me.
by roddie Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:12 pm

» High compression head
by roddie Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:34 pm

» Like potato chips, you can't stop at just one.......or a dozen or two.
by Coxfledgling Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:27 pm

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:42 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
February-2024
1/2A Nut's

"RC Speed Boat Power Drive TD .020"

More info on this engine!




PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery


Removal of front nose spinner .049 Empty
Live on Patrol


Removal of front nose spinner .049

Go down

Removal of front nose spinner .049 Empty Removal of front nose spinner .049

Post  WV. FLYGUY Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:42 pm

Hi forum. I purchased a used Cox .049 Babe Bee today at a local flea market and it has a larger Red plastic spinner on the front. It has the pointy nose with no screw or nut on it to hold it on. I tryed gently to twist it both ways but will not budge. Probably a crazy question but how do I remove it ? Wanting to clean it up completely and put a regular aluminum .049 spinner on it after I complete the cleaning. Appreciate any suggestions. Thanking you all in advance for the help.
WV. FLYGUY
WV. FLYGUY
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Posts : 55
Join date : 2017-10-11
Location : Northwestern West Virginia

Back to top Go down

Removal of front nose spinner .049 Empty Re: Removal of front nose spinner .049

Post  balogh Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:54 pm

Hi Terry,

your spinner is probably the one that pops on and off the prop hub: https://coxengines.ca/cox-.049-plastic-spinner-yellow.html

You will probaly have to force it gently to remove it by pulling it off. Some gummed castor may have "cemented" it to the hub. You may want to blow some hot air by a hairdryer to where the spinner and the hub meet to soften the solidified castor.

Good luck with it, handle it with care..
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Posts : 4691
Join date : 2011-11-06
Age : 65
Location : Budapest Hungary

Back to top Go down

Removal of front nose spinner .049 Empty Re: Removal of front nose spinner .049

Post  roddie Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:01 pm

I believe that it's just a rubber spinner that pops-on over a "spinner-nut". Try pulling on one side of the rear of the spinner using your thumb. It should pop-off. The rubber might be hard and brittle though.. so it could be tough.  

The part on the "right" is likely what's holding that spinner on. It's a 5-40 threaded nut. That's the size of the Cox .049 prop-screw.

Removal of front nose spinner .049 8-29-110
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 8090
Join date : 2013-07-17
Age : 64
Location : N. Smithfield, Rhode Island

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Removal of front nose spinner .049 Empty Re: Removal of front nose spinner .049

Post  WV. FLYGUY Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:07 pm

roddie wrote:I believe that it's just a rubber spinner that pops-on over a "spinner-nut". Try pulling on one side of the rear of the spinner using your thumb. It should pop-off. The rubber might be hard and brittle though.. so it could be tough.  

The part on the "right" is likely what's holding that spinner on. It's a 5-40 threaded nut. That's the size of the Cox .049 prop-screw.

Removal of front nose spinner .049 8-29-110

Yes I have seen them a lot on my other engines. But this one is hard plastic. I will keep trying. Thanks for the help my friend.
WV. FLYGUY
WV. FLYGUY
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Posts : 55
Join date : 2017-10-11
Location : Northwestern West Virginia

Back to top Go down

Removal of front nose spinner .049 Empty Re: Removal of front nose spinner .049

Post  RknRusty Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:33 pm

Just wiggle and yank it off. It'll come. Not to be crude compared to any above advice, but there is no need to be gentle, nothing but the spinner could break, and in 50 years I've never seen one break other than in a full speed crash. And they only cost $4.49.
Rusty

_________________
Don't Panic!
...and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!


My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Posts : 10869
Join date : 2011-08-10
Age : 67
Location : South Carolina, USA

Back to top Go down

Removal of front nose spinner .049 Empty Re: Removal of front nose spinner .049

Post  NEW222 Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:54 pm

I believe I know which one you have. I had one here and was as hard as you described to get off. I gently pryed it up around the base little by little, and in the end, I still got a tiny crack in it, but used it till it decided to break.....
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 3881
Join date : 2011-08-13
Age : 45
Location : oakbank, mb

Back to top Go down

Removal of front nose spinner .049 Empty Re: Removal of front nose spinner .049

Post  MauricioB Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:03 pm

Which of the two I show you have? A photo that you post can help ....
Removal of front nose spinner .049 Dsc03014
Removal of front nose spinner .049 Dsc03015
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 3487
Join date : 2016-02-16
Age : 52
Location : ARG

Back to top Go down

Removal of front nose spinner .049 Empty Re: Removal of front nose spinner .049

Post  Mark Boesen Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:14 pm

Like had balogh mentioned, get'er warm first, then pry it off....and yes i've snapped 'em

Always remember: Heat before force!
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 3975
Join date : 2011-09-01
Age : 65
Location : Rockford, Il

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Removal of front nose spinner .049 Empty Re: Removal of front nose spinner .049

Post  Kim Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:46 pm

Mark Boesen wrote:Like had balogh mentioned, get'er warm first, then pry it off....and yes i've snapped 'em

Always remember: Heat before force!

Well, MOST of the time:

Removal of front nose spinner .049 Tools10
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Posts : 8485
Join date : 2011-09-06
Location : South East Missouri

Back to top Go down

Removal of front nose spinner .049 Empty Re: Removal of front nose spinner .049

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:15 pm

How true Kim!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74
Moderator

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Posts : 11892
Join date : 2011-10-24
Age : 50
Location : Tuttle, OK

Back to top Go down

Removal of front nose spinner .049 Empty Re: Removal of front nose spinner .049

Post  WV. FLYGUY Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:30 am

MauricioB wrote:Which of the two I show you have? A photo that you post can help ....
Removal of front nose spinner .049 Dsc03014
Removal of front nose spinner .049 Dsc03015
Here it is my friend. Thanks for any answers .......

Removal of front nose spinner .049 Img_2611
Removal of front nose spinner .049 Img_2610
WV. FLYGUY
WV. FLYGUY
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Posts : 55
Join date : 2017-10-11
Location : Northwestern West Virginia

Back to top Go down

Removal of front nose spinner .049 Empty Re: Removal of front nose spinner .049

Post  WV. FLYGUY Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:36 am

NEW222 wrote:I believe I know which one you have. I had one here and was as hard as you described to get off. I gently pryed it up around the base little by little, and in the end, I still got a tiny crack in it, but used it till it decided to break.....

Yes for sure. I have took off a plenty but this one is stuck like a son-of-a-gun. Still trying.
WV. FLYGUY
WV. FLYGUY
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Posts : 55
Join date : 2017-10-11
Location : Northwestern West Virginia

Back to top Go down

Removal of front nose spinner .049 Empty Re: Removal of front nose spinner .049

Post  WV. FLYGUY Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:36 am

balogh wrote:Hi Terry,

your spinner is probably the one  that pops on and off the prop hub: https://coxengines.ca/cox-.049-plastic-spinner-yellow.html

You will probaly have to force it gently to remove it by pulling it off. Some gummed castor may have "cemented" it to the hub. You may want to blow some hot air by a hairdryer to where the spinner and the hub meet to soften the solidified castor.

Good luck with it, handle it with care..

Sure will and thanks .......
WV. FLYGUY
WV. FLYGUY
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Posts : 55
Join date : 2017-10-11
Location : Northwestern West Virginia

Back to top Go down

Removal of front nose spinner .049 Empty Re: Removal of front nose spinner .049

Post  WV. FLYGUY Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:38 am

Kim wrote:
Mark Boesen wrote:Like had balogh mentioned, get'er warm first, then pry it off....and yes i've snapped 'em

Always remember: Heat before force!

Well, MOST of the time:

Removal of front nose spinner .049 Tools10

Sure will... I'm still trying tonight or this morning ....
WV. FLYGUY
WV. FLYGUY
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Posts : 55
Join date : 2017-10-11
Location : Northwestern West Virginia

Back to top Go down

Removal of front nose spinner .049 Empty Re: Removal of front nose spinner .049

Post  WV. FLYGUY Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:42 am

Mark Boesen wrote:Like had balogh mentioned, get'er warm first, then pry it off....and yes i've snapped 'em

Always remember: Heat before force!

I sure will and thanks for the helpful suggestions. .....
WV. FLYGUY
WV. FLYGUY
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Posts : 55
Join date : 2017-10-11
Location : Northwestern West Virginia

Back to top Go down

Removal of front nose spinner .049 Empty Re: Removal of front nose spinner .049

Post  MauricioB Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:45 am

WV. FLYGUY wrote:
MauricioB wrote:Which of the two I show you have? A photo that you post can help ....
Removal of front nose spinner .049 Dsc03014
Removal of front nose spinner .049 Dsc03015
Here it is my friend. Thanks for any answers .......

Removal of front nose spinner .049 Img_2611
Removal of front nose spinner .049 Img_2610

friend, warm a kettle of water, and when the water is very hot, throw the water in the form of a jet in the cone cavity, slowly, thing that the hot water fence acting, and then begin to move the cone gently, have to go loosening, do you understand me?

Removal of front nose spinner .049 Img_2610
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 3487
Join date : 2016-02-16
Age : 52
Location : ARG

Back to top Go down

Removal of front nose spinner .049 Empty Re: Removal of front nose spinner .049

Post  KariFS Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:45 am

Here is another style of plastic spinner mount. If you look closely, you can see a sort of a recess in the propeller hub. The spinner has a corresponding shape inside, that "clicks" in the recess. This is the only picture I have on hand and I have no picture of the inside of the spinner, I hope you can figure it out.

(Click the pic and you'll see a larger version)

Removal of front nose spinner .049 14253694.t
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 1991
Join date : 2014-10-10
Age : 52

Back to top Go down

Removal of front nose spinner .049 Empty Re: Removal of front nose spinner .049

Post  WV. FLYGUY Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:57 am

MauricioB wrote:
WV. FLYGUY wrote:
MauricioB wrote:Which of the two I show you have? A photo that you post can help ....
Removal of front nose spinner .049 Dsc03014
Removal of front nose spinner .049 Dsc03015
Here it is my friend. Thanks for any answers .......

Removal of front nose spinner .049 Img_2611
Removal of front nose spinner .049 Img_2610

friend, warm a kettle of water, and when the water is very hot, throw the water in the form of a jet in the cone cavity, slowly, thing that the hot water fence acting, and then begin to move the cone gently, have to go loosening, do you understand me?

Removal of front nose spinner .049 Img_2610



Yes I understand. Will start again this morning on trying to get it. Thanks for the help .....
WV. FLYGUY
WV. FLYGUY
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Posts : 55
Join date : 2017-10-11
Location : Northwestern West Virginia

Back to top Go down

Removal of front nose spinner .049 Empty Re: Removal of front nose spinner .049

Post  WV. FLYGUY Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:00 am

KariFS wrote:Here is another style of plastic spinner mount. If you look closely, you can see a sort of a recess in the propeller hub. The spinner has a corresponding shape inside, that "clicks" in the recess. This is the only picture I have on hand and I have no picture of the inside of the spinner, I hope you can figure it out.

(Click the pic and you'll see a larger version)

Removal of front nose spinner .049 14253694.t

No picture here but I see now where to apply the heat and the wiggle points to remove. Starting on the removable now again this morning... Thanks !!!!
WV. FLYGUY
WV. FLYGUY
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Posts : 55
Join date : 2017-10-11
Location : Northwestern West Virginia

Back to top Go down

Removal of front nose spinner .049 Empty Re: Removal of front nose spinner .049

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum