Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Can these be used for glow power? Cox_ba12

Can these be used for glow power? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Post your Older books
by GallopingGhostler Today at 2:49 pm

» need info on this
by lla Today at 2:18 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Today at 12:33 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by rsv1cox Today at 12:17 pm

» O&R 23 & Brown Jr
by lla Today at 11:15 am

» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by GallopingGhostler Today at 10:23 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Today at 9:00 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by rdw777 Today at 8:51 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Today at 8:30 am

» "SOLD OUT" Cox .020 silencers -- currently
by GallopingGhostler Today at 5:12 am

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -May 2024-
by Admin Today at 2:38 am

» S1 Ringmaster
by Onelife Yesterday at 8:40 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Can these be used for glow power? Empty
Live on Patrol

Can these be used for glow power?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Can these be used for glow power? Empty Can these be used for glow power?

Post  coxaddict Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:00 pm

Saw this and was wondering if it was safe to use on glow enginesCan these be used for glow power? Green_10
It is listed as glass/fiber/nylon
coxaddict
coxaddict
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Can these be used for glow power? Empty Re: Can these be used for glow power?

Post  Oldenginerod Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:09 pm

I wouldn't. What does the caution note say? If they're for a drone, they will be electric use only.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:09 pm

Yes you can, tough props good quality but blade is a bit wide adds load!
I have those in black. Camber in the airfoil produces more thrust.
Requires a TD .049 and Norvel  .049 /.061 and with the .074 (speed)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-pcs-6-pair-GemFan-Carbon-Nylon-5x4-5-5045-Propeller-6-CW-6-CCW/252679526450?_trkparms=aid%3D555017%26algo%3DPL.CASSINI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D41376%26meid%3D2538b08af056400491e9c3a61479e4aa%26pid%3D100507%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26&_trksid=p2045573.c100507.m3226

Prefer the HQ Prop Carbon Speed Tip 5x4.5 better blade design.

RC Plane
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:33 pm

I tried out some that are similar with decent results. I dont have them on me, so I will see if I can dig up a picture to put here. Please bear with me and I'll see what I can get.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:42 pm

Ok. So, I was wrong. I had the engine here. So here is a picture with my DAL Prop 5045 in green. It is the Bullnose as it has a heavy hub. That is why I chose this one. Another I heard works well is Kong Propellers. The only thing I had to do to get it to work is bush the prop hub with small fuel tubing. LInk for the props as well.

https://www.dalprops.com/products/5045?variant=15038875523
Can these be used for glow power? 20171210
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  coxaddict Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:00 am

Thanks for the replies. It is sold in pairs left handed and right handed. It comes in several sizes and colors. They also sell plastic props and lists it as strictly for Quad copters.
coxaddict
coxaddict
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:34 am

NEW222 wrote:Ok. So, I was wrong. I had the engine here. So here is a picture with my DAL Prop 5045 in green. It is the Bullnose as it has a heavy hub. That is why I chose this one. Another I heard works well is Kong Propellers. The only thing I had to do to get it to work is bush the prop hub with small fuel tubing.

LInk for the props as well.

Are the DAL part#'s representative of the diameter/pitch? IE: a 5045= 5"D x 4.5"P ?? I would assume that to be true. Looking through their stock, it appears that "all" the propellers listed have a minimum 4" pitch regardless of diameter.

I like the idea of being able to buy a set of four 5" two-blade propellers (two R/H and two L/H) for less than $2.. The L/H props are useful for reed-valve engines.

I'd be particularly interested in trying the #5040 prop to test on my Cox .049 reedies.

Can these be used for glow power? Dal-br10

They're currently listed at $1.89 for the set. That's $.50/propeller!!! Shocked The amazingly low-price of these propellers can be directly attributed to the quad-copter/drone craze that we're seeing these days.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:55 am

I don't know, some of those props are really thin especially at the hub, i'd like to see what Ken has to say? Maybe the thicker ones on a Sure Start, but no way on a Tee Dee?
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:56 am

Mark, I have had no experience with these smaller props shown. I agree with your statement. I see Brad though has used the HQ props successfully. I also noted that most of those were carbon composites. I would just extreme caution when experimenting. Even though these engines are small, they can inflict serious injury in the event of a failure. I would give them a try and if they do prove worthy, this is certainly a plus due to the 1/2A prop sizes available today. It's apparent that were not supposed to be using them due to the pulses of a combustion engine. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Can these be used for glow power? Empty I asked DAL, they Responded YES.

Post  Marleysky Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:13 pm

Rather than rely on age, wisdom, experience or hearsay, I e-mailed the manufacturer DAL-props and this was the reply:

“Yes, these propellers can be used for both electric and glow engines.  
DAL Props come with a 5 mm hole for the 5 mm shaft diameter on the
electric motors used on quad copters.  The shaft diameter for COX
engines is smaller.  So you would need an adapter ring like those that
are included with APC props.  But we do not supply these.  There is
another difference.  For props used in fuel (glow, nitro, etc) engines,
the hub region is beefy so that the prop can be used to start the engine
(whether by hand or w/ an electric starter).  For electric propellers,
beefing up the inner prop region is not required.  So you will find some
electric props with thin blades near the hub.  But the DAL Props are
beefy (because we build them to take a beating), so then can be torque
started on glow engines.

I hope that helps.”

Ok, now just so you know.
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:55 am

Marleysky wrote:Rather than rely on age, wisdom, experience or hearsay, I e-mailed the manufacturer DAL-props and this was the reply:

“Yes, these propellers can be used for both electric and glow engines.  
DAL Props come with a 5 mm hole for the 5 mm shaft diameter on the
electric motors used on quad copters.  The shaft diameter for COX
engines is smaller.  So you would need an adapter ring like those that
are included with APC props.  But we do not supply these.  There is
another difference.  For props used in fuel (glow, nitro, etc) engines,
the hub region is beefy so that the prop can be used to start the engine
(whether by hand or w/ an electric starter).  For electric propellers,
beefing up the inner prop region is not required.  So you will find some
electric props with thin blades near the hub.  But the DAL Props are
beefy (because we build them to take a beating), so then can be torque
started on glow engines.

I hope that helps.”

Ok, now just so you know.

I wonder if that applies to all their props. Huh...
If they are all suitable for glow engines, the little three bladers might go ok on a Pee Wee.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:03 am

Careful selection is the key the plastic tech used by the drone prop makers is getting very
competitive these days with high performance design mixes.  Avoid ABS you need nylon
or exotic variant types with glass fibers or carbon blend or all carbon weave is doable providing
the weave is integrated into the hub that cross feeds to the opposing blade.

I have had success with all 4 types flying at extreme speeds, again avoid 100% ABS
not worth the risk. A spring starter will bite into a soft material prop every time maring
denting in the trailing edge and airfoil face.

The .010 and .020 can turn up some serious rpm examine if the airfoil is thicker at the hub
for the smaller props. For .049 and up best seek out only quality materials and design.  

A stiff prop will put the wammy to the crank shaft, pin and ball socket if you crash. Med flexible
blades will always be kinder to the engine if you smack the ground. I have snapped APC IC prop
blades right off the hub it is brutal on the engine so far my .049 - .061 have survived.

Large dia. props for thrust should always be well selected to not ruin the engine nor fail.
Experienced operators always watch for stress fractures / color changes near the hub regardless of brand.

The information above is not meant for youngsters or newbies to the hobby.
Best to always learn the ropes with Cox brand props first with all Cox engines.  Small Cox Logo
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:25 pm

Well. Thanks for contacting the manufacturer. It is great that they acknowledged us and what we need the props for. They are indeed very beefy near the hubs, and pretty flexible. I just looked at it, and it does appear to flex on par with the yellow Cox propeller. Without a full chemical analysis, we will never know. I am still going to continue using my favorite Cox Yellow safety tipped propellers. These were just a thing I wanted to try for myself, and the pitches offered are not good for me and how I fly.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:30 pm

roddie wrote:
NEW222 wrote:Ok. So, I was wrong. I had the engine here. So here is a picture with my DAL Prop 5045 in green. It is the Bullnose as it has a heavy hub. That is why I chose this one. Another I heard works well is Kong Propellers. The only thing I had to do to get it to work is bush the prop hub with small fuel tubing.

LInk for the props as well.

Are the DAL part#'s representative of the diameter/pitch? IE: a 5045= 5"D x 4.5"P ?? I would assume that to be true. Looking through their stock, it appears that "all" the propellers listed have a minimum 4" pitch regardless of diameter.

I like the idea of being able to buy a set of four 5" two-blade propellers (two R/H and two L/H) for less than $2.. The L/H props are useful for reed-valve engines.

I'd be particularly interested in trying the #5040 prop to test on my Cox .049 reedies.

Can these be used for glow power? Dal-br10

They're currently listed at $1.89 for the set. That's $.50/propeller!!! Shocked The amazingly low-price of these propellers can be directly attributed to the quad-copter/drone craze that we're seeing these days.

Hey there roddie. The props you show here are a different model than the ones I show, and have. I do recall seeing and looking at that propeller, but the hub was not strong enough to me by looking. To me, personally, the 'Bullnose' props appeared to have the heavier hub of both and is why I chose such. If, however, you do try out the ones you show, I myself, would be interested in your results. But, now after confirmation from the company, I think any would be ok.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:50 pm

Hey "Chancey" and "Rene".. Thanks.. for your research/responses! I could use some extra sport-props for my stock Cox reed-valve Cox .049 engines. These engines are pretty "tame".. so I might give the DAL props a try. They'd surely be economical.. if they hold-up. I particularly like the "left-hand" options for testing stunt-flight characteristics between the opposite rotations. It would be fun to experiment with a decent-flying C/L 1/2A design.. like a Sig "Skyray", Goldberg "Stuntman 23" or similar, to see how they fly with opposite-rotation propellers. It might require building a small wingtip-weight box.. for running the R/H props.. but that would be a minimal modification to the airframe.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:32 pm

I just ordered some DAL propellers of the "5040" 2-blade spec. I'll report on their initial appearance when I receive them. I'm kinda' "psyched".. because I'd forgotten about this thread.. and the idea of trying-out these propellers. We won't know how they perform on our Cox engines.. unless a few of us try them out. I'd assume that a hub-bushing to bush their 5mm hub-hole can be accomplished in the same way that many of us have bushed the hubs of the APC props in this size-range; by using a piece of silicone fuel-tubing. I'd rather use hard-tube bushings.. but we'll have to see what the options are.. without drilling-out the hub.

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:49 pm

I myself have used fuel tubing on the propeller screw so far to bush these.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:39 pm

Yes fuel tubing is your friend I always use it whenever possible to insure good centering
before the prop binds down on the thrust plate.
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:16 pm

1/2A Nut wrote:Yes fuel tubing is your friend I always use it whenever possible to insure good centering
before the prop binds down on the thrust plate.

Yes.. it's just something I'd never done before reading about it "here" on the forum. It's possible that it could also offer some harmonic-balancing.. couldn't it?  Huh...

I ordered four of the DAL 5040 2-blade "black" prop sets. That's 16 props.. (8 rights and 8 lefts..) for $10 and change; including shipping.

I'll also be visiting a hobby shop while on a trip to Sturbridge, MA this weekend.. (Hog Heaven Hobbies) I could use some more silicone fuel-tubing in various sizes. This shop has been in business for decades.. but it's been ten years since I've been there. I can't remember ever inquiring about any NOS Cox parts.. so I'll ask while I'm there. You just never know.

There "was" a hobby shop not too far from where I "now" live (Northern Rhode Island). "Apple Valley Hobbies" in Smithfield, closed a few years ago. They were in business since 1939! Living most of my life in Massachusetts; I didn't know of this RI shop previously. I chanced to be in the area.. to notice their "going out of business" signs on the store-window one day. Everything was 40% off.. (except Lionel train stock) so I went in and inquired about any "Cox" related items. The fella (the owner..) went into the back-room and returned with a small box full of Cox NOS parts! Mostly odd stuff.. but it still put a smile on my "poker-face". I bought some stuff for myself.. and took photos of what was there.. to post here on the forum. I ended up purchasing some items for a few members.. and sending them off in the mail. The owner said that there was another box full of Cox stuff.. but he couldn't find it. I can only imagine what was in that box. The shop closed.. before I could get any personal contact info. to see if he'd later found it. I should have kept on top of that.. but unfortunately I didn't.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  coxaddict Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:35 am

Thanks Marleysky for stepping up. Now I need to learn how to give greenies I Love This Forum!
coxaddict
coxaddict
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:28 am

I received my DAL propeller order (PN 5040-2 blade) last Saturday. The package was in the mailbox when we got home from Sturbridge, MA on Sunday. After examining them.. I wouldn't use a zero-drag starter-spring on them. They are very lightweight.. but seem quite flexible.

Can these be used for glow power? Dal50410
Can these be used for glow power? Dal50411
Can these be used for glow power? Dal50412
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:04 am

They do look to have a “beefy” hub compared to other “electric duty props”. Try and get a side by side comparison picture with a master airscrew or Cox prop just to see the difference?
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  David Ingham Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:06 pm

I ordered a set from DAL.
David Ingham
David Ingham
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:36 pm

Marleysky wrote:They do look to have a “beefy” hub compared to other “electric duty props”.  Try and get a side by side comparison picture with a master airscrew or Cox prop just to see the difference?

Roddie,
If you could, that would be great to see a side to side comparison. I'd like to see a low cost option for props, but like many low cost options, they often become a bad option. The blade to hub contact area looks very thin, that and a prop that flexes is not a good thing as far as performance goes.
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:59 pm

Here are a Cox yellow safety top prop, Master Airscrew prop and my DAL Prop. Hope this helps some.
Can these be used for glow power? 20171211

Can these be used for glow power? 20171212
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next