Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on... - Page 2 Cox_ba12

The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on... - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» "Me and Crazy Horse...Our Anniversary"
by Kim Today at 3:23 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by balogh Today at 12:55 am

» Original Box for P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer Value
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 11:09 pm

» Cox P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» thread measurements
by MauricioB Yesterday at 5:33 pm

» Cox Thompson Trophy Winner
by Jerry Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» COX 010 TeeDee with RC carb, courtesy sosam 117
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:08 pm

» a cheap sport muffler
by robot797 Yesterday at 1:34 pm

» OS 10FSR Carb Needed
by Cougar 429 Yesterday at 1:14 pm

» AP .061 Hornet
by F4D Phantom II Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:01 pm

» dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others
by rsv1cox Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:46 pm

» Re-manufactured Enya .06-II for Boats13
by Boats13 Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:32 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on... - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on...

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on... - Page 2 Empty Re: The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on...

Post  Kim Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:07 pm

With a WHOLE lot of squinting, I was able to detect some microscopic SPI, and it has a boost port on either side with the dual bypasses. I don't know how original it is, as it's from a Tupperware box with several other Tee Dees I bought last year at swap meet.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on... - Page 2 Empty Re: The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on...

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:40 pm

Kim wrote:With a WHOLE lot of squinting, I was able to detect some microscopic SPI, and it has a boost port on either side with the dual bypasses.  I don't know how original it is, as it's from a Tupperware box with several other Tee Dees I bought last year at swap meet.

Thanks, Kim. I didn't know there were twin slit cylinders with a touch of SPI. I bought an NOS Cox OEM .049 exhaust throttle muffler with piston and cylinder set from Bernie a month ago. Interestingly it has a diagram in the instructions showing a retrofit to a Cox Tee Dee.

The original Medallion basically had a Babe Bee single bypass port without boost port, noticed this both on my .049 and .09, both purchased used without instructions. Peter Chinn mentioned a slight loss of power due to SPI when muffled with Cox recommending racing fuel to make up the loss.

Higher performance of the Medallion over the reedies must be related to the freer flowing front venturi and timing.

Still need to find my engine test stand as I've been static the past 2 years. Since I got a tach, would eventually like to test the .049 Medallion before and after, to see how it runs in a muffled non-SPI setup. I'm thinking it will probably do very well, as there was marked improvement over the SPI Babe Bee with the non-SPI QZ set up.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:42 pm

Kim wrote:Backed away from "The Ranger Model with a Ranger Engine".  Checking out the mounting holes in the Ranger's firewall, found that the Ranger engine's pattern, while not the same as the tank/mount, is close enough that drilling the holes might cause a screw to "drift" into one and cause it to not hold it's torque.

So...back to the tank/mount, this time with a Medallion.  We've got a beautiful morning in Missouri, and I had the engine bolted up to it's test stand pretty quickly.  Took a few cranks, but it finally spat out my over-prime, and settled nicely into it's run.

With this engine/tank combo, I'm getting consistent 1 3/4 minute runs---just a bit longer than the Tee Dee.  At some point, maybe I'll stick a one ounce tank in it's snout, but gonna stay with this for the time-being since Fall S.M.A.L.L. is bearing down on me.  Still ought to be able to make a lap or two to impress the crowd before climbing to glide altitude.

I didn't tach it, but it "sounded" good, and starts easy, so it passed my Redneck Criteria.

And I know, the head looks crappy...but I'll clean it up...probably today.

The Fall S.M.A.L.L. Prep continues....

The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on... - Page 2 0_15

The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on... - Page 2 1_35

The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on... - Page 2 2_38
That red on red looks good to
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:04 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:
Kim wrote:With a WHOLE lot of squinting, I was able to detect some microscopic SPI, and it has a boost port on either side with the dual bypasses.  I don't know how original it is, as it's from a Tupperware box with several other Tee Dees I bought last year at swap meet.

Thanks, Kim. I didn't know there were twin slit cylinders with a touch of SPI. I bought an NOS Cox OEM .049 exhaust throttle muffler with piston and cylinder set from Bernie a month ago. Interestingly it has a diagram in the instructions showing a retrofit to a Cox Tee Dee.

Well, I could easily be wrong about the SPI...just looked like there was a tiny gap. I'd wondered about SPI in these narrow exhaust cylinders, but never thought to ask.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:19 pm

Reeling myself back in to do some more Fall S.M.A.L.L. prep:

Cleared away enough space to work (finally got the PT's cleaned and parked), and want to take the Ranger up to test-flight status.

Still got some to go, but this has been the somewhat tedious stuff that requires the right mood, and I'm there...at the moment....

The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on... - Page 2 1_38

The aging tail-feathers of the Ranger had some strange "pockets" of missing foam where it looked like the material had just evaporated.  The elevator was so bad that I replaced it with a balsa version, same with the rudder, but I wanted to use the stab, so I anchored in some balsa square stock, and 1/16th sheet, and am gonna stitch the hinges there.  It's getting a coat of white Brodak along with the balsa elevator.

The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on... - Page 2 2_43

The Brodak-painted balsa rudder isn't gonna totally match the poly urethane top coat on it's fin, but we're in the "git'r done" phase, so it's gonna be referred to as "adding character" !!  They're hinged and ready to glue to the fuse when the stab and elevator's paint dry.

The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on... - Page 2 3_31
Painted the Ranger's belly with clear coat to hopefully hold off the fuel soaking for a while.  

The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on... - Page 2 4_30

In an brilliant moment of utter genius, I thought to clean the Ranger's foam wing a bit, and was shocked to find that the stains I'd thought to be permanent water marks wiped right off!   So I got myself a pretty white wing, with almost none of the "lost foam" damage of the tail-feathers.

The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on... - Page 2 5_21

Also want to thank Ken for his recommendation of this paint:  

https://www.systemthree.com/products/wr-lpu-polyurethane-topcoat

...which I think will become my main foam paint once I get my brain adapted to it's proper use !!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  xplaneguy Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:49 pm

Lookin' good!

Just two weeks to go until Fall SMALL. RC Plane
xplaneguy
xplaneguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=263724

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:26 pm

xplaneguy wrote:Lookin' good!

Just two weeks to go until Fall SMALL. RC Plane  

Yeah Man! Working on the radio installation now and re-re-relearning the whole Spectrum bonding experience.

Have I mentioned lately how much I hate new things????

Caffeine Ain't Working Kim
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:04 am

Kim wrote:The Brodak-painted balsa rudder isn't gonna totally match the poly urethane top coat on it's fin, but we're in the "git'r done" phase, so it's gonna be referred to as "adding character" !!  They're hinged and ready to glue to the fuse when the stab and elevator's paint dry.
The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on... - Page 2 3_31
Kim, it looks good, once you assemble, others won't even notice. What they will notice is how it looks in flight.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:16 am

GallopingGhostler wrote:
Kim wrote:The Brodak-painted balsa rudder isn't gonna totally match the poly urethane top coat on it's fin, but we're in the "git'r done" phase, so it's gonna be referred to as "adding character" !!  They're hinged and ready to glue to the fuse when the stab and elevator's paint dry.
Kim, it looks good, once you assemble, others won't even notice. What they will notice is how it looks in flight.

Thanks George !!!!!!!!! I'm counting heavy on the "Nostalgia Factor", and may have to pack my Boom Box along, loaded with late 1960's music!

Cue "Snoopy vrs The Red Baron" !!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oxzg_iM-T4E
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:38 am

Here's a little nostalgia. Very Happy RC Plane This Site Rocks!

GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:19 pm

Managed to get in some more work on the Ranger, though it's hard to tell what was done.  It had been stalled, waiting for me to get in the mood to hinge it's elevator...which happened today.  This allowed the tail feathers to glued on, which was a big jump for me.

The radio guts and servo travel can be set up now, along with printing out some graphics to help with it's current Plain Jane appearance.

Can't wait for it to be out-run by Tony's C-182 at the next S.M.A.L.L. Fly-In !!!

The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on... - Page 2 4_35

The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on... - Page 2 5_27

The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on... - Page 2 1_47

The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on... - Page 2 2_52

The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on... - Page 2 3_38
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fit90 Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:33 pm

It's looking really good! I hope it flies as good as it looks!
fit90
fit90
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ticomareado Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:47 pm

If the cylinder is non-SPI with two intake ports then that is most likely why you're only getting 1:45 per tank. Put a Baby Bee #2 top end on it and you should get at least 2:30 on a 6-3 Cox nylon with 15 to 20% nitro. You'll still have plenty of power with light R/C gear.
ticomareado
ticomareado
Account Under Review

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:20 pm

That is a sharp looking little bird you got there!
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:35 pm

Kim, that's one sharp looking plane. Great job I hope it flies well. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:58 pm

Good job Kim, hope to see it fly soon!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:08 am

Thanks guys!

Since I've jabbered about it so much, the next post will be a Flight Report !!!!

Procrastinator Kim
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:22 am

Shes looking good Kim ! Watching for the graphics Popcorn RC Plane
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2