Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on... Cox_ba12

The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on... Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by Kim Today at 8:41 am

» Tired of it all…
by rsv1cox Today at 8:04 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 7:46 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by getback Today at 7:17 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Today at 1:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 10:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:16 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 1:27 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 8:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 4:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:25 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on... Empty
Live on Patrol

The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on...

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on... Empty The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on...

Post  Kim Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:14 pm

I always resist doing Building Threads because of my squirrely habit of abandoning projects at various stages and sticking them on back-burners, while dragging some other dusty ghost out into the light.

But, I managed to break out of the Building Funk of the last few weeks, and actually got some substantial work on the these two long-time projects...and figured to post a few photos of them.

I think I saw the new term 'Vintage Foam' over on R.C. Groups as a suggestion toward an event at this year's S.M.A.L.L. Fly-In.  I liked the idea and pulled this Carl Goldberg 'Ranger 42' from the rafters.  The kit has somehow avoided the mice and mud daubers, with just a mild warp in the stabilizer and a bit of discoloration.

Goldberg's ad for the little plane really spurred my imagination way back in the late 1960's, and it became a 'Bucket List Plane' before I'd ever heard such a thing.

The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on... 1_119

Never got around to it, but spotted a kit on Ebay that looked to be complete.

I chose to power it with a Tee Dee .049 on a tank-mount, giving me a simple drop-in deal.  Won't fly real fast or long, but I can always go to a bigger tank if needed, and want it to be an easy, nostalgic cruiser.  Might stick a carb on it at some point too.

The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on... 1_26

Definitely has a Cessna-look about it.  I'd like to try and duplicate the kit's paint scheme.

The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on... 4_18

The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on... 3_22

The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on... 2_29

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought two of these kits a long time ago, and am finally getting close to finishing at least one of them.  The Reaper is one of my favorite military drones, right next to the Ryan 'Firebee' (got my credit card ready for the day when an ARF of that one is offered).

I intend to power it with an exhaust-throttle Medallion .09, and load it up with some key fob video cameras.

The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on... 0_212

The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on... 1_27

The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on... 2_30

The wings are supposed to be glued to the fuse, but think I'm gonna make them removable.

The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on... 7_15

The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on... 3_23

The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on... 4_19

The ominous planform that may draw ground fire from the subdivision across the valley !!

The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on... 5_18

The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on... 6_18

So, maybe have these guys will be tested and ready for S.M.A.L.L. 2018!!!

Last edited by Kim on Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:09 pm; edited 7 times in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on... Empty Re: The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on...

Post  rsv1cox Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:58 am

That Carl Goldberg advertisement brought back memories Kim, I gazed at it many times years ago while searching for a learner R/C model. The Falcon 56 and the Skylark were contenders but I finally settled on the Sterling Fledgling as I was quite familiar with their kits.

I see that Predator with a nose camera and an additional belly camera (look down shoot down) searching for the inevitable shotgunner out to do you harm. Smile

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on... Empty Re: The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on...

Post  getback Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:05 pm

I like the Ranger ! That other thing is just wild !@! took me a minute to figure it was a pusher LOL I got a Skylark 42 i think it is still in the Box ,, got a Swap meet this weekend see if there is some easy floater for small engine there i can pick up for a song , i will see $ Babe Bee .049
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:27 pm

getback wrote:I like the Ranger ! That other thing is just wild !@! took me a minute to figure it was a pusher LOL I got a Skylark 42 i think it is still in the Box ,, got a Swap meet this weekend see if there is some easy floater for small engine there i can pick up for a song , i will see $ Babe Bee .049

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/08/MQ-1_Predator_unmanned_aircraft.jpg/1200px-MQ-1_Predator_unmanned_aircraft.jpg&imgrefurl=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Atomics_MQ-1_Predator&h=797&w=1199&tbnid=ozoM8Mh2A1Nl7M:&tbnh=133&tbnw=200&usg=__5hwzDhk8UK_OaMjdhC1UKXy4PPA%3D&vet=10ahUKEwjHwMPA97nZAhXCoFMKHQRjDJ0Q_B0I5AEwFQ..i&docid=8ZY16JNLJLxyiM&itg=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjHwMPA97nZAhXCoFMKHQRjDJ0Q_B0I5AEwFQ

Interesting that the tail section is inverted on the full scale.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:09 pm

Some ads or photos can really get a guy to thinking, and stay in the mind just about forever.  I was working a state-funded youth program at the National Cemetery at the time, and at every lunch break, out came my magazine ad, along with my many and various theories of what radio and engine I'd need (all I had at the time were photos in magazines).  

The guys I worked with were into cars or bikes, so I had a fairly strained audience!  Radio control at the time seemed extremely far-fetched, and I still recall the specific vision of the Ranger making low passes out across the fields outside the steel fences of the cemetery grounds.

Once the Ranger is flying, it's probably gonna spend a lot time at about 5 feet worth of altitude.

I want real bad to fly the Reaper without landing gear, but the wings are probably gonna be too delicate to take the thumping from belly landings.  I may try some less-visible wire skids.

Now, if ONLY my bud Tony could get his friends at Freewing to offer an EDF Ryan Firebee!!!!

The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on... Rayn_f10
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  londke3 Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:18 pm

Wow that takes me back. When I was about 7 or 8 around 1974 a guy in my dad's RC club gave me a ragged out Ranger 42. He stripped the engine, radio and landing gear out of it. At the time I was flying a lot of HLG my dad and I would build together. Being the genius I was in freeflight, I used electrical tape to mount a "D" battery up front on the engine mounts to balance it.  There was a pretty decent hill for sledding right next to the RC field. For a couple of weekends at least I would bring out that Ranger 42 and huck it down that slope and watch her go. Eventually I tore it up but those are still some of my best memories in modelling. I can almost smell the fresh cut grass at the field.........
londke3
londke3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:08 pm

Another great morning out in the shop, messing with some fancy polyurethane for my Carl Goldberg Ranger 42 Project.

One of my "Great-Friends-I've-Never-Met", Ken, recommended this paint AND included his own instructions for it's use.

So far, it's looking good, with just a few light splotches (I've never use foam brushes before), and I'm gonna call this side of the rudder done. Once it's fully dry, I'll flip it over and hit the other side.

You got to mix it with some "cross-linker" as you go, and Ken said, "you'll waste as much as you use until you get some experience."...so I'm right in the zone!

The final test will be when it's front end gets hit with fuel and hot castor.

Thanks again to Ken for the time he took to write up some VERY helpful instructions for this stuff !!!

The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on... 2_116

The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on... 3_114

The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on... 4_113
-----------------------------------------------------------
The previous day:

The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on... 1_123

The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on... 2_117

The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on... 3_115
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:10 pm

Kim, do you have the clear? Your using plenty of crosslinker I hope. I just purchased some clear and used it with a Black Widow, it marked the clear which bothered me a bit. It looked slightly crinkled, I just couldn't remember how much I used. I never had that happen before.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:17 pm

Ken Cook wrote:       Kim, do you have the clear? Your using plenty of crosslinker I hope. I just purchased some clear and used it with a Black Widow, it marked the clear which bothered me a bit. It looked slightly crinkled, I just couldn't remember how much I used. I never had that happen before.

Yo Ken,
I've got the clear, but haven't used it yet. I put about three drops of crosslinker in the red, but was mixing it in a fairly small bottle. I'm trying to get a feel of it before I went to the fuselage. I forgot to ask, does this stuff mask fairly well?
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:01 pm

I treat it like dope in that respect, I lay the tape and then brush clear so that the finish trim doesn't run under the tape. This stuff likes to run. When I pull the tape, I pull it back onto itself, be careful doing so and go slow.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:04 am

A little test stand time for the Tee Dee .049 that's slated for the Ranger.  It had a bad case of "Goop in the Spraybar"---that was power flushed with the fuel syringe.

I wanted to use the fuel tank/engine mount for simplicity, but am only getting a little over a minute and a half run, so the 'tank' may be bypassed by a 1 ounce fuel tank wedged in the forward fuse.

The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on... 1_124
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:42 am

Kim , is tank not using the fuel your putting in it (( is there fuel in the tank after the run ) I am happy to see your using the system Ken had mentioned in another post , i read that post and was more courageous . It looks good so far hope it can bring back what foam is drying out . I have not worked with foam so far so dont know much about the process . Popcorn
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:50 am

I'm calling the fin finished, and it's looking pretty good.  The swath of white that looks like a thin spot is actually a reflection from my work table.

The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on... 4_22

I cut some narrow strips of masking tape for my start on the fuselage.  Like with dope, I sealed the edges with clear.

The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on... 2_31

Some scraggly spots that I can touch up (got impatient to pull the masking tape!), but so far, the paint is working.

The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on... 6_17

The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on... 8_18

Last edited by Kim on Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:52 am

Sorry............Not intended off-topic or Hi jack, but the title of this thread got me humming.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KlZuk5N2co

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSqcxFGFVas

Mark B would have enjoyed the Slim Whitman versions, or maybe Aerosmith....

Excuse me while I back outta here. Smile
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:15 pm

Hey, it's all part of the fun!

But, I got issues with my new paint in judging when it's time to pull it's masking tape. I was worried that if i waited too long, the tape would be locked to the airframe like glue, but then caught it in it's 'rubbery' stage, which pulled it away from the foam.

It made a few good clean lines, and I'm just gonna live with the rough edges and freehand the rest of the project. Maybe try a little practice on a piece of scrap.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:55 pm

Looking good there Kim. they are a nice looking little airplane. Now that you posted yours, it had me thinking, and I was right. I had bought a partial kit a few years ago , and however, I am missing the wings, and was wondering what to do with it. Build some foam style wings or possibly a balsa wing. I had it for a few years now with all good intentions, but am unsure if I will actually get to it anytime soon as I have a hard time flying anymore where I used to due to too much activity in the area....

The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on... Ranger10

I will be watching your unfold, and it has been looking good so far. On foam, I personally have been using craft acrylic paints.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:34 pm

Kim, I hope all goes well with this. I don't need you coming to look for me. I use fine line tapes and I stick them to my shirt first to undo some tackiness. Here's my Vector and my Saucer which you provided me plans for. This paint takes lots of practice to use.

The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on... Dscn2738

The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on... Dscn2739

The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on... Dscn2741
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ticomareado Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:51 pm

After verifying complete consumption (i.e. no leaks, no failure at fuel pick-up) I'd do a test run with a Medallion in the same tank mount. This plane was originally designed to fly with a Golden Bee and a lot heavier R/C gear from back in the day. I would think that a Medallion would be plenty of power.
ticomareado
ticomareado
Account Under Review

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:46 pm

Ken Cook wrote:Kim, I hope all goes well with this. I don't need you coming to look for me. I use fine line tapes and I stick them to my shirt first to undo some tackiness. Here's my Vector and my Saucer which you provided me plans for. This paint takes lots of practice to use.[/url]

Oh those look great. I probably should have done some practice patterns on some scrap foam first...and may do that. The Ranger is gonna be just fine, and I got some good clean masks in a couple spots, just got to figure out what I did different in those areas.

Already got a couple more projects to use this stuff on, especially the clear!

Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:52 am

rsv1cox wrote:Interesting that the tail section is inverted on the full scale.

Earlier and slightly smaller MQ-1 Predator has the inverted vee stabilizer and inverted rudder.

USAF Fact Sheet MQ-1B Predator
The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on... 03081310

Later MQ-9 Reaper has the upright vee stabilizer and inverted rudder.

USAF Fact Sheet MQ-9 Reaper
The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on... 09012710

When I lived in Alamogordo, NM 6 years ago (Holloman AFB is 12 miles away) and even now (Cannon AFB is 12 miles away), see the earlier MQ-1 occasionally fly over our house. With a Rotax 914F four-cylinder engine, it sounds like a muffled light plane, has a high aspect ratio wings like a sailplane.

Nice job on the Ranger 42, Kim, and good repair methodology. With the Tee Dee powering it, it will be a really nice sport flier. I thought about getting one some 30 years ago, but Hobby Shack had their 40" foam Piper Cub and Cessna 180 ARF's that were cheaper. As such got those instead. Made by Sure Flite, they were good fliers, especially on .10 power (OS .10R/C - Cub) and .09 (Enya .09-III TV - Cessna).
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:20 pm

The recent thread on 'Ranger' engines, reminded me that I had one of these "Dragon Flys with a White Tank" stuck away in the REALLY moldy box-o-Cox cabinet.  Who knew it was a "Ranger"??  So, another bit of knowledge, and "Ranger" is a really cool name for an engine.

Anyway, from the looks of it's piston, the Ranger hadn't been run.  Didn't have a tank gasket that I could find, so I cut one from some cardstock (didn't work well, but somewhat slowed the fuel as it ran from the bottom of the tank), and got some on order.

It started pretty easily, and I had it going for about thirty minutes with fuelings on the run.

So...I'm gonna try it in the Ranger.  With some deft Dremel hogging inside the foam cowling, it ought to fit just fine, and I can always go back to the Medallion/Tee Dee if it falls short in the power department.

Once I get the gaskets, I ought to be able to do a timed run, if one of you guys don't beat me to it.

The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on... 0_13

The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on... 2_34
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:46 pm

Kim, tank gasket for the Ranger is the same for both the RC Bee and Dragon Fly.

coxengines.ca Cox .049 Dragonfly RC Bee Fuel Tank Gasket (2)

The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on... 04920d10

aspeed in one of the other forums showed me his 38" span Cox Fairchild 24 Rancher RTF with the Ranger engine powering it.

Add an exhaust throttle or exhaust throttle muffler, and you have the Dragon Fly in white.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:39 am

GallopingGhostler wrote:Kim, tank gasket for the Ranger is the same for both the RC Bee and Dragon Fly.

coxengines.ca Cox .049 Dragonfly RC Bee Fuel Tank Gasket (2)

The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on... 04920d10

aspeed in one of the other forums showed me his 38" span Cox Fairchild 24 Rancher RTF with the Ranger engine powering it.

Add an exhaust throttle or exhaust throttle muffler, and you have the Dragon Fly in white.

Got'm on the way from Matt!  I think our bud Tony has a Fairchild 24...might have been his post we saw.  The Ranger I have, I believe, was given to me years ago, with a piece of tape holding it's tank together, and I can't remember if it still had it's muffler.  It WILL get a muffler installed if it has the "umph" to pull the CG Ranger around the sky.

And, SOMEWHERE in the wilderness area of my shop, there's an actual Dragon Fly chumming with the brown recluses.  It'll get pressed into service if I can locate it...
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on... Empty Changed My Mind...Again !

Post  Kim Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:01 am

Backed away from "The Ranger Model with a Ranger Engine".  Checking out the mounting holes in the Ranger's firewall, found that the Ranger engine's pattern, while not the same as the tank/mount, is close enough that drilling the holes might cause a screw to "drift" into one and cause it to not hold it's torque.

So...back to the tank/mount, this time with a Medallion.  We've got a beautiful morning in Missouri, and I had the engine bolted up to it's test stand pretty quickly.  Took a few cranks, but it finally spat out my over-prime, and settled nicely into it's run.

With this engine/tank combo, I'm getting consistent 1 3/4 minute runs---just a bit longer than the Tee Dee.  At some point, maybe I'll stick a one ounce tank in it's snout, but gonna stay with this for the time-being since Fall S.M.A.L.L. is bearing down on me.  Still ought to be able to make a lap or two to impress the crowd before climbing to glide altitude.

I didn't tach it, but it "sounded" good, and starts easy, so it passed my Redneck Criteria.

And I know, the head looks crappy...but I'll clean it up...probably today.

The Fall S.M.A.L.L. Prep continues....

The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on... 0_15

The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on... 1_35

The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on... 2_38
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:40 pm

Kim wrote:With this engine/tank combo, I'm getting consistent 1 3/4 minute runs---just a bit longer than the Tee Dee. At some point, maybe I'll stick a one ounce tank in it's snout, but gonna stay with this for the time-being since Fall S.M.A.L.L. is bearing down on me. Still ought to be able to make a lap or two to impress the crowd before climbing to glide altitude. I didn't tach it, but it "sounded" good, and starts easy, so it passed my Redneck Criteria.
The Goldberg Ranger's Continuing Saga...a bit more work going on... 2_38
Kim, the setup looks good being bench run. does that later Medallion cylinder have SPI, or is it the twin bypass with 2 boosts Sure Start one?
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next