Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Vibrations, vibrations and vibrations .... Cox_ba12

Vibrations, vibrations and vibrations .... Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 9:18 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by 706jim Today at 6:44 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:56 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Vibrations, vibrations and vibrations .... Empty
Live on Patrol

Vibrations, vibrations and vibrations ....

Go down

Vibrations, vibrations and vibrations .... Empty Vibrations, vibrations and vibrations ....

Post  MauricioB Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:40 pm

Friends, I share here this experience that has to do with the vibrations of the model during the running of our engines.
I recently flew one of my Stylo models and lost part of the control, I just lost control of the depth, fortunately the model was high which gave me time to "fly" with engine accelerations ailerons and rudder can make it unload on the crop tender of green soybean and thus I did not suffer any type of consequences. I did not even break the propeller, I was very lucky.
When I got home, I controlled the radio system and the elevator servo had stopped working, so I removed it and opened it and found a cable to feed the servo motor itself, just at the welding level.
Núnca control these small propellers, I say that underestimates, so I realized it was very important to check them and discovered that originally come very unbalanced and it was a big surprise for me, I always ran my helices but in larger engines, did not think that it was necessary to check these small ones: error on my part
At 18850 rpm with the original Cox 5 x 3 propeller and as it comes from the factory, the model becomes an incredible vibration. Now after correctly balancing, even adding lead in the mass of the propeller (when needed), it was perfect.
My question is: have they had this kind of problems? Yes, it's largely because the propeller is unbalanced!

Vibrations, vibrations and vibrations .... Dsc03331
Vibrations, vibrations and vibrations .... Dsc03333
Vibrations, vibrations and vibrations .... Dsc03330

Propeller swing, Du-Bro equipment

Vibrations, vibrations and vibrations .... Dsc03332

After soldering, make the decision to place silicone on the cables, in this way they will be more secure and still.

Vibrations, vibrations and vibrations .... Dsc03334

MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Vibrations, vibrations and vibrations .... Empty Re: Vibrations, vibrations and vibrations ....

Post  rsv1cox Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:59 pm

Mauricio "Sully” Sullenberger......Miracle on the Soybeans.

Way to be a pilot Mauricio landing undamaged with no elevator control. And a great fix on that servo too.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Vibrations, vibrations and vibrations .... Empty Re: Vibrations, vibrations and vibrations ....

Post  Ken Cook Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:53 pm

I have found many times that the hole is not square to the faces of the prop. I have the luxury of placing them on a lathe and truing up both faces. So no matter how much one balances a prop, it's not going to compensate for that problem. In addition, many times one blade is slightly longer than the other. One could want to go crazy trying to figure out all of this. Put another prop on it and try it again.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:56 pm

Yes Mauricio I must admit I also often saw servos killed by vibration. When it hits mid-air the first thing I try is throttle down or stop the engine. I have always managed to land without major damage so far. Especially in my larger planes  the long elevator and rudder pushrods tend to vibrate and this constant load damages the plastic gears sooner or later. I often pull the 2 rods slightly together with rubber bands to prevent vibration.

Electrical or cable soldering failures as results of vibration are less frequent  in my experience. I always balance my props but large balsa planes are like drums that induce the formation of fuselage and pushhod vibration. I am just trying to mitigate it in my Sig Wonder that I built a few months ago and took out flying yesterday.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:26 pm

thanks guys for sharing experiences!
Here I show that I have also chosen to place o'ring in order to isolate the servo, as an additional aid.
Vibrations, vibrations and vibrations .... Dsc03335
Vibrations, vibrations and vibrations .... Dsc03336
Vibrations, vibrations and vibrations .... Dsc03337
Vibrations, vibrations and vibrations .... Dsc03338
Vibrations, vibrations and vibrations .... Dsc03339
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:36 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Mauricio "Sully” Sullenberger......Miracle on the Soybeans.  

Way to be a pilot Mauricio landing undamaged with no elevator control.  And a great fix on that servo too.

Bob

Yes Bob, I was lucky, while trying to unload the model without damage, clench my teeth, I did what I could, soy was the mattress that saved the model! ... ufff! I love my planes! ... and I thank soy! cheers
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:46 pm

Ken Cook wrote:            I have found many times that the hole is not square to the faces of the prop. I have the luxury of placing them on a lathe and truing up both faces. So no matter how much one balances a prop, it's not going to compensate for that problem. In addition, many times one blade is slightly longer than the other. One could want to go crazy trying to figure out all of this. Put another prop on it and try it again.

Ken you're right, look at this picture, it's the original Cox 5 x 3 propeller, it's slightly curved to the left, that is, it's deformed, I had not noticed it ... I'm surprised ..
Vibrations, vibrations and vibrations .... Dsc03340
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:15 am

Sorry to hear you had trouble, but happy to hear the plane made it safe to the ground well done!!
Those safety tip props are for youngsters or new pilots, your not allowed to use them lol.

Small Cox Logo Easter Bunny RC Plane Easter Bunny Cant Resist The Bunn Small Cox Logo
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:30 am

Those flexible props are very hard to balance, if they can even be balanced.  If you are past the always crashing stage with your flying then switch to a more rigid prop such as Master Airscrew glass filled props.  Any quality brand of prop, glass reinforced or wood, will also preform well.

Sometimes a prop will perform smoother if you rotate the installation half a turn.  If the out of balance is the same as the engine is out of balance the vibration will be very bad, while if the prop is out of balance opposite tge engine the vibration will suddenly be minimal.  This just takes loosening the prop and advancing to the next blade and retightening.  

It is best to have everything properly balanced, but the engine is never in balance since it is a 1 cylinder.  Having the propmbalanced minimises vibration more reliably than an off balance prop will.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:33 pm

Today I went to fly, after the propellers recommended by Brad arrived.
I made the rocking of them, everything was perfect, I'm happy and the model goes like a bullet in the air!

Video:

my two Stylo models with the propellers recommended by Brad!
Vibrations, vibrations and vibrations .... Dsc03349
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:47 pm

pkrankow wrote:Those flexible props are very hard to balance, if they can even be balanced.  If you are past the always crashing stage with your flying then switch to a more rigid prop such as Master Airscrew glass filled props.  Any quality brand of prop, glass reinforced or wood, will also preform well.

Sometimes a prop will perform smoother if you rotate the installation half a turn.  If the out of balance is the same as the engine is out of balance the vibration will be very bad, while if the prop is out of balance opposite tge engine the vibration will suddenly be minimal.  This just takes loosening the prop and advancing to the next blade and retightening.  

It is best to have everything properly balanced, but the engine is never in balance since it is a 1 cylinder.  Having the propmbalanced minimises vibration more reliably than an off balance prop will.

Phil

Your contribution Phil is very valuable ... thanks!
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:22 am

The MA 5.5x4.5 has made this one fast are you ok with the speed? Perhaps it is time to make a plane built for
speeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed hehehe. That prop cut down to a 4.75x4.5 will make the plane go basaltic. I see it
took off from the ground with ease that is a plus. "Mauricio The Speed Flyer"

Some data for you my friend:

Uploaded by:
AmpAbuser AKA 1/2A Nut AKA Brad
Uploaded on Apr 2, 2018

Best peak: 20,187 rpm
19,784 rpm at 1:59 minutes into the vid Prop speed 84 mph
Estimate 74 mph flying speed during that pass
Static peak: 15,584 rpm / 10oz thrust / 66 mph pitch speed / 84w
Best idle 8,702 rpm
Vibrations, vibrations and vibrations .... Stylo_10
Small Cox Logo
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:16 am

1/2A Nut wrote:The MA 5.5x4.5 has made this one fast are you ok with the speed? Perhaps it is time to make a plane built for
speeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed hehehe. That prop cut down to a 4.75x4.5 will make the plane go basaltic. I see it
took off from the ground with ease that is a plus. "Mauricio The Speed Flyer"

Some data for you my friend:

Uploaded by:
AmpAbuser AKA 1/2A Nut AKA Brad
Uploaded on Apr 2, 2018

Best peak: 20,187 rpm
19,784 rpm at 1:59 minutes into the vid Prop speed 84 mph
Estimate 74 mph flying speed during that pass
Static peak: 15,584 rpm / 10oz thrust / 66 mph pitch speed / 84w
Best idle 8,702 rpm
Vibrations, vibrations and vibrations .... Stylo_10
Small Cox Logo

Thank you very much Brad for taking the time to make these measurements, data that is very interesting !.

Seee .... I like the speed ... although it is already very fast ... Recently I have been prescribed new glasses and I am enjoying them to the fullest ... this requires that you do not take your eyes off the plane ... haha an eyelash and you will go with a bag to look for the model! LOL
By the way, Brad, do you use glasses ... your models are very fast, you must have an excellent view!
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:21 am

balogh wrote:Yes Mauricio I must admit I also often saw servos killed by vibration. When it hits mid-air the first thing I try is throttle down or stop the engine. I have always managed to land without major damage so far. Especially in my larger planes  the long elevator and rudder pushrods tend to vibrate and this constant load damages the plastic gears sooner or later. I often pull the 2 rods slightly together with rubber bands to prevent vibration.

Electrical or cable soldering failures as results of vibration are less frequent  in my experience. I always balance my props but large balsa planes are like drums that induce the formation of fuselage and pushhod vibration. I am just trying to mitigate it in my Sig Wonder that I built a few months ago and took out flying yesterday.

Thank you András for commenting your experience, this shows that you should take seriously the issue of these small propellers and make the right balance.
Yesterday I made flights and the truth completely changes the sound and the vibrations noticeably decrease, it is "another model!" ... in short we continue learning.
Now I will take all my propellers in use no matter how small they are and I will balance them, a step that should not be avoided!
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down