Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Space Bug possibility Cox_ba12

Space Bug possibility Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Golden Bee basic running problem
by DaveyMo Today at 10:39 am

» Simple Gliders
by getback Today at 7:13 am

» Cox PT-19 Wing
by getback Today at 6:24 am

» Foam hand kids glider converted to 0.049 CL
by getback Today at 6:23 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by getback Today at 6:17 am

» Weird search for a single comic from an old Mad Magazine
by Kim Yesterday at 1:44 pm

» Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!.
by getback Yesterday at 7:27 am

» Cox .049 Tee Dee engines back in stock (limited availablility)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 1:05 am

» Very off-topic.........Time passes and not always for the best......
by rsv1cox Thu Jul 25, 2024 2:47 pm

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by rsv1cox Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:30 pm

» Throttles for Cox Tee Dee .049 / .020 / .010 engines --- videos
by sosam117 Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:54 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Admin Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:00 am

Cox Engine of The Month
July-2024
robot797's

"ULTIMITE COX 010: it has a clutch, E starter, throttle, exhaust, aluminum tank, aluminum venturi, gearbox with forward and reverse, and now its on a custom drawn and printed stand"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Space Bug possibility Empty
Live on Patrol

Space Bug possibility

Go down

Space Bug possibility Empty Space Bug possibility

Post  Oldenginerod Thu May 03, 2018 5:47 am

Today I met up with a neighbour who had me service his VW Amarok for him.  The back of the vehicle was full of electric RC planes as he'd just been out for his regular Thursday morning fly.  As we engaged in conversation he mentioned he had a couple of Cox engines, a Babe Bee and a Space Bug.  Not sure if he's offering them to me, scouting for an unrealistically high price or just trying to work through the emotions of possibly parting with something which is of no practical use to him but holds a lot of sentimental value.  He says he purchased the Space Bug new in the late 1950s or maybe 1960.  On closer inspection I see it has the later style cylinder with larger thread glow head, so not an early version.  He's adamant it's original apart from a new later style head.  Looks in good condition although rather grubby. It still has the box it arrived in.  Just a plain cardboard box with "L. M. Cox Manufacturing Co., Inc. Santa Ana" label plus the original customs label.  He mail ordered it from the USA & has his name and Canadian address on the label.

Now, is it worth pursuing?  What would be a reasonable offer, bearing in mind we may be able to barter a deal with his car repair bill?  I told him the Babe Bee was a dime a dozen & I had as many as I'd ever need, but would love the Space Bug, but my ebay rule is never go over $35 for any engine unless it's exceptional. Did I offend him?  Who knows but if I did I may have lost a customer as well as the Space Bug. Affraid or WOW!

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Space Bug possibility Empty Re: Space Bug possibility

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu May 03, 2018 8:02 am

I see it all the time. Owner has a prized collection of engines, thinking his children or grandchildren will appreciate them. Because of US inheritance taxes, survivors can't afford the properties. His house, possessions and vehicles are auctioned. The survivors don't see the value in the engines, so they are included in the lot someone gets for a song. Then sells them on E-Bay to make money. tongue

I can't say whether your neighbor was offended or not. He opened the door to discussion by showing the item. You'd think a normal person, if he was truly selling the engine and wanted more, would have simply chuckled and told you too low and his intentions. What?

Who knows? If your neighbor has the skin of an onion, then may be he should have never brought the subject up. Beats me. He must prize it because he kept the box it came in. Shocked
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu May 03, 2018 8:19 am

I agree with George , if he just wanted to show it thats one thing if wants to sell then whats the price? i am sure he was fishing for more $$ ^^ Your ebay rule should not have applied to a hand to hand purchase though. Just my Two Cents
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Thu May 03, 2018 9:40 pm

remember, after '56 Space Bugs used the new head until '58 when they stopped production. If it was nice it would be worth 35-50 all day long, plus what would it cost to ship to Oz?
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Wed May 30, 2018 6:06 am

Well, it's no longer a possibility. I now have a Space Bug, plus an extra early Babe Bee. cheers The owner returned today and said "didn't you want this?" as he handed me the box. His research showed that my $40 offer wasn't so unreasonable after all. After all, it needs a darn good clean up and has apparently done a heap of work.
Anyway, rather than exchange cash I need to remove a stuck wheel from his 4x4, rotate the tyres and we're even. Good deal me thinks.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed May 30, 2018 7:49 am

Nothing like trading labor for love , Glad that has worked out for you have the Space Bug ! Small Cox Logo with a BB to Boot !! Babe Bee .049 Memorial Day
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:40 am

Well the Space Bug cleaned up really well (as did the Babe Bee) after a good stew in anti-freeze and a scrub. Both feel excellent. Bearings and compressions are great. I haven't dismantled either and probably won't if they took like they'll run. Reed valves seem to work in both- How do I know? I place a drop of oil in the intake and turn the engine over. If it sucks the oil in, the reed isn't stuck. The Space Bug may need a little more internal cleaning as it appears to blow back. Not sure how the twin reeds work, but clearly they're not seating. Probably just needs a good flush with fuel. If I can get it to fire up it should clean itself out.

I still can't post picture, but hopefully that should be solved with an immanent purchase of a new iMac coming up. In the meantime, I may send a few pictures to another member whose email address I have and get them to post them for me. Got to take them first. Thumbs Up

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down