Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Can you believe this? Cox_ba12

Can you believe this? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Foam hand kids glider converted to 0.049 CL
by roddie Today at 4:33 am

» Cox PT-19 Wing
by latole Today at 4:28 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Today at 2:54 am

» Golden Bee basic running problem
by roddie Yesterday at 10:51 pm

» Simple Gliders
by rdw777 Yesterday at 6:25 pm

» Weird search for a single comic from an old Mad Magazine
by Kim Yesterday at 1:44 pm

» Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!.
by getback Yesterday at 7:27 am

» Cox .049 Tee Dee engines back in stock (limited availablility)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 1:05 am

» Very off-topic.........Time passes and not always for the best......
by rsv1cox Thu Jul 25, 2024 2:47 pm

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by rsv1cox Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:30 pm

» Throttles for Cox Tee Dee .049 / .020 / .010 engines --- videos
by sosam117 Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:54 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Admin Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:00 am

Cox Engine of The Month
July-2024
robot797's

"ULTIMITE COX 010: it has a clutch, E starter, throttle, exhaust, aluminum tank, aluminum venturi, gearbox with forward and reverse, and now its on a custom drawn and printed stand"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Can you believe this? Empty
Live on Patrol

Can you believe this?

Go down

Can you believe this? Empty Can you believe this?

Post  Oldenginerod Mon May 07, 2018 6:28 pm

Are these props really that sought-after?  I can't believe the price Damn!
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/7-VINTAGE-TOP-FLITE-6-3-NYLON-PROPS-PROPELLER-1-2A-MODEL-AIRPLANE-ENGINE/142779153431?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Can you believe this? Empty Re: Can you believe this?

Post  Jason_WI Mon May 07, 2018 6:32 pm

That seller could list polished turds and still bring in good money. If you are bidding on his items be prepared to pay.

Are those props even safe to use anymore? I thought the old nylon props liked to throw blades.
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  EXModelEngines Mon May 07, 2018 7:08 pm

I would not run those - very dangerous, even when boiling. The very old wood ones are generally okay, but I have personally experienced flying propeller parts!
EXModelEngines
EXModelEngines
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Official Cox Dealer

http://www.exmodelengines.com

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon May 07, 2018 8:27 pm

Thats stupid !!!! What Jason said and i would not run these as Matt was saying.... Man a profit is one thing but DAMMIT!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Tue May 08, 2018 4:28 am

Well the seller had a fair starting price I think, what happens/happened after that is just silly... lol!
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GWILLIEFOX Tue May 08, 2018 7:34 am

Gatafish41@aol.com is a quite honest reseller. He spends a huge amount of time acquiring items that could well have been thrown away. He presents items honestly and starts his auctions at fair prices. He offers the public items that they probably would not have ever had access to. He has no control over the final price. Do you remember the Cox Warhawk that went for upwards of a grand sometime back?
GWILLIEFOX
GWILLIEFOX
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue May 08, 2018 11:07 am

Obviously several bidders want them and want them bad, and their purpose may not be for use but display. Lately I've noticed that some vintage engine and paraphernalia go for ridiculously low prices and some for ridiculously high prices. I don't know what gives. Most recently someone is selling a new (not vintage) AP .061 Wasp RC engine for $78. Same item was under $30 several years ago.

However, I feel blessed in getting a Medallion .049 in reasonable used shape for under $30 shipping included. 4 years ago I got a complete and unmolested Sterling 36" (915mm) wingspan Lockheed P-38 Lightning profile CL kit for $45. So it is possible to get something nice without paying an arm and a leg for it. Smoking
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Tue May 08, 2018 11:41 am

E- bay can be a wonderful place. I know we’ve had this discussion before, as “Buyer Beware”.  There is nothing wrong with selling items for ridiculous high prices, as a seller I would enjoy or encourage it!  As a buyer, I try not to overbid on a desired item and usually get sniped at the end. You just have to know what you want and what you are willing to pay for it. At some of today’s prices, it might be time to thin out some inventory, If this item sells:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Cox-Thimble-Drome-Glow-Fuel-Gas-Tin-Can-1-Pint-Almost-Full-Skull-Cross-/163032683346?hash=item25f5815352

Or this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/COX-049-gas-powered-CHOPPER-II-NOS-Tether-Car-/122984006411?hash=item1ca26b030b

Let’s just hope that whoever bought those nylon props just wants to use them for a period correct display model, and not actually run them!  Damn!
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Tue May 08, 2018 12:06 pm

They probably want to display them next to their $120 KK needle valve.
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue May 08, 2018 1:15 pm

Marleysky wrote:E- bay can be a wonderful place. I know we’ve had this discussion before, as “Buyer Beware”. There is nothing wrong with selling items for ridiculous high prices, as a seller I would enjoy or encourage it! As a buyer, I try not to overbid on a desired item and usually get sniped at the end. You just have to know what you want and what you are willing to pay for it.

True, and we really have no reason to complain. We bid because we want to, and we have the right to step back, too. Also, I've seen an item that there were no bids on because the seller set the starting bid price a little high (more like a buy now price). Then when time was up, restart bidding but at a lower price. Then bidders jumped in and in some cases went a little crazy. If they could market that in an energy drink could make millions. Laughing

It is a different story if a seller deliberately misrepresents what is being sold. Several years ago I bought an Enya .35-III TV in very good condition, but seller misrepresented the item making it appear complete by putting a slightly oversized prop nut. Paranoid It looked proper in the photograph. Mad Fortunately, a local hardware wholesaler gave me several 7x1.0mm nuts for free, which corrected the problem. Clapping

It was a mystery to me why other modelers shied away from him in bids, then I knew after what he did. However, I'll never buy another item from him. Doh!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rhyslegge Wed May 09, 2018 11:22 am

I recently purchased an .049 Tarno carb for about $40. Another later (turned out to be an .09 carb!!) for about $45. Yesterday, an .049 Tarno carb sold for $122!! That's the same as a NIB .049 TD. Quite a time for sellers!
rhyslegge
rhyslegge
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu May 10, 2018 3:47 pm

Hey Rod, Early-on (soon after I joined CEF) "RknRusty" mentioned needing a 10" x 3 " prop. and couldn't find one anywhere. He'd built a C/L Stunter for a competition which was soon to happen.. and the 10 x 3 was the prop of choice for his engine. I had a "Top Flite" brand nylon 10 x 3 that I offered.. which was met with scrutiny by other CEF members who knew of the risks involved with running an aged nylon propeller. I'd wished I had a "wooden" 10 x 3 to offer to Rusty back then.

Someday.. hopefully "someone" will reproduce model propellers in the diameter/pitch to be able to "run" on our vintage model IC engines. It wouldn't really be a Herculean task.. but rather a measure of devotion to keeping these old vintage engines running and "flying".
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu May 10, 2018 4:11 pm

roddie wrote:I'd wished I had a "wooden" 10 x 3 to offer to Rusty back then. Someday.. hopefully "someone" will reproduce model propellers in the diameter/pitch to be able to "run" on our vintage model IC engines. It wouldn't really be a Herculean task.. but rather a measure of devotion to keeping these old vintage engines running and "flying".

There's a gentleman in Montana, that sells props. Doesn't have a 10x3, but has a 10x4. They are a little pricey at $20 each, but if it is what you need and are all out competitive, then the price may warrant. Please note I got this off a thread in Stuka Stunt, Stuka (clstunt.com) Main Forum, Thread: Propellers for Stunt. (You may need to be a member to view.)

YMMV (your mileage may vary)
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu May 10, 2018 4:18 pm

Thanks for that information George. I just may help someone be able to get their engine tuned for an OTS event sometime in the future.. or maybe even resurrect an old model for the "BOTR" annual-event!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Thu May 10, 2018 5:42 pm

Brodak makes BYO props of the wooden paddle type. Eric Rules makes the RSM props not to mention XOAR has a few nice props. The problem is that most hobbyist that have been around are sticker shocked when buying them. It's not 1950 anymore.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu May 10, 2018 6:35 pm

Roddie wrote:Hey Rod, Early-on (soon after I joined CEF) "RknRusty" mentioned needing a 10" x 3 " prop. and couldn't find one anywhere. He'd built a C/L Stunter for a competition which was soon to happen.. and the 10 x 3 was the prop of choice for his engine. I had a "Top Flite" brand nylon 10 x 3 that I offered.. which was met with scrutiny by other CEF members who knew of the risks involved with running an aged nylon propeller. I'd wished I had a "wooden" 10 x 3 to offer to Rusty back then.

Roddie, that brings back good memories, my first contest. And where I met Ken Cook and the Philly Fliers in person. I still have those props you gave me in 2013 for the old Shoestring Stunter. I ran the engine with one, but never actually flew one. Back then I knew next to nothing about flight trimming, but after being warned off I took the advice and used new 9x4 Master Airscrew props. Truth be known(but wasn't, at the time), those MA 9x4s were likely to have actually been 9x3. Me and the Shoestring still hang in the shop, Lol. It's still pretty, but Me... not so much. If you or anyone wants those TF props, let me know. The only prop I have ever had throw a blade with no outside insult was a 6" TF prop on my plastic P-40 when I was a kid about 13-14 years old.

Sorry I haven't written a Huntersville report yet, it's not because I didn't have fun. I did. But I couldn't fly.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu May 10, 2018 7:03 pm

Good times Rusty!!! There'll be plenty more man!!!!!!!!!!!! I Love This Forum!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu May 10, 2018 7:28 pm

Ken Cook wrote:The problem is that most hobbyist that have been around are sticker shocked when buying them. It's not 1950 anymore.
Grish Tornado (Plastikote?) 7x2 wood prop, cost $0.20 each retail. lol!
Can you believe this? Tornad11
Can you believe this? Tornad10
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Thu May 10, 2018 9:19 pm

I use the 7x2 prop on a Mccoy .098 on a Joy Products Stunt Runt.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri May 11, 2018 1:18 am

Ken Cook wrote:I use the 7x2 prop on a Mccoy .098 on a Joy Products Stunt Runt.

Ken, I did a search on the Stunt Runt bipe, found they came in different sizes. The .09 version at 22" span was full fuselage with built up wings. The .049 version at 16" span was a solid sheet balsa profile. Couldn't find any photos of the larger .09 version, but based upon the .049 lines, seems to be a nice bipe you got.

Originally, I bought those NOS 7x2 props for my Cox .074 Queen Bee, for use on my 46" span Berkeley Impulse single channel with kick up elevator RC build. The Impulse has a large fuselage cross section and the best prop, 6x3 wouldn't provide enough wind past the fuselage bulkhead.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Sat May 12, 2018 9:48 pm

years ago, i was in an old hobby shop going out of business, they had a lot of old stock from the 60's, bought a couple old (black) plastic Thimble-Drome 9x4 nylon props...just cause you never see 'em.

Can you believe this? Cox60d11

Can you believe this? S-l16016
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum