Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Latest auction win Cox_ba12

Latest auction win Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Tired of it all…
by getback Today at 2:32 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by OVERLORD Today at 2:20 pm

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by Kim Today at 7:41 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:46 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Today at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 12:27 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Latest auction win Empty
Live on Patrol

Latest auction win

Go down

Latest auction win Empty Latest auction win

Post  Oldenginerod Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:51 pm

There are times that you wonder why everyday mundane items on eBay seem to attract so much attention and prices go sky-high.  Then, there are days like today.
Latest auction win Cub10
OK Cub .099- 3 bids. $5.50
Latest auction win Cox10
Product engine, no head. My bid only- 99c.
Latest auction win Testor10
The venerable Testors "Fly-em" .049.  My bid only- 99c.
Latest auction win Cox210
Product engine. Missing needle. My bid only- 99c.

Seller had dozens of engines.  Most went very cheaply. Maybe it's just that the US auction finished in the middle of the night in the US and the middle of the day here, limiting my competition.  I could have had a few others, but I wasn't interested in competing with other bidders, so I just went for the ones with no bids, other than the Cub. The killer is the $25 shipping.  Way over the cost of the four engines themselves.  Still, good deal any way you look at it.
I may get a good Cox and Testors head out of it.  Spare backplate could go to Matt if he wants to replace his postage stamp back.  Problem is, I can't bear to have incomplete engines sitting around.  I'll end up hunting down replacements to get them all going.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Latest auction win Empty Re: Latest auction win

Post  rsv1cox Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:35 pm

Assuming all parts are ok, you have a treasure trove there Rod.  I love that stuff.

I can't bear to have incomplete engines sitting around.  I'll end up hunting down replacements to get them all going.

Story of my life.  I built/completed 51 from parts not to long ago and posted about them here.  Just things I had laying around.  

I buy a lot of junk engines from red-baron2 on ebay a long time contributor. Just bought this oldie from him. What's different about it Rod?

Latest auction win Enya_610

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:25 pm

Good job and nice score there. Funny, as I just took a .099 Cub apart a few minutes ago and it will be getting an antifreeze bath tomorrow morning with a few of its friends.

And sorry I am not Rod, but the thing I see different in the engine is that it is nice and clean and not the usual 'fixer-upper' castor coated type of engine that we usually see you bring back to life.... Very Happy
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ticomareado Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:43 pm

It's really a C/L engine with an R/C carb jury rigged in the venturi. I'd go for originality on this one if I could get original NV.
ticomareado
ticomareado
Account Under Review

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:31 pm

Of the examples of this .60 engine that I have seen, I have never see any engine  shake and vibrate like this one. I mentioned this to one of my flying friends when he told me he had one.  We decided to run his using older metal Tatone test stand when it vibrated out. It went every bit of 15 feet high. The owner just walked in front of the stand after adjusting the needle. The early Tatone stands while having a substantial pinch nut, they didn't use roll pins on the pillow blocks. I also believe that carb is a stock Enya configuration. I know the .63 was in a similar case and similar carb configuration. Bob, have you ever run one of these .60's before? I'd be curious to know of your experience. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:46 am

To have an Enya shake more than a Fox .35 surprises me, Ken. That .60 appears to be an early one. Sounds like the counterbalance on the crankshaft was non-existent. I guess that Enya fixed that in the later versions.

Last one I got a few days ago didn't go for pennies, but still got it reasonably cheap at starting bid with no other bids. $15 + $8 shipping, a Testors McCoy .35 Blue Head RC. For some odd reason the non-RC Red Heads go for more.

Latest auction win Mccoy_14
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:25 am

George, I hear about the Fox shaking from users frequently. My experiences with them have been nothing but positive. But, then again, I'm not the type of individual who's reluctant to take their engine apart for fear that it will never work the same again.I've been using that engine for 40 years. I have seen mention of those grinding the counter weight on the crankshaft to assist balance. What most don't seem to realize is that there's a myriad of problems that account for it's shaking and understanding them solves a majority of them. This Enya .60 which I'm not certain what it's model # is, I refer to it as the 6 bolt shakes like nothing I have ever seen. I own the Enya .60 7303, this particular engine is a true sweetheart. It runs in my honest opinion, better and stronger than a Tiger.60.

As far as the Mccoy's, what I have noted since the demise of Fox, Ebay users began taking full advantage of this. Fox .35's and some of the other commonly used Fox engines prices soared. This was in around the time I have seen the I gotta have it buyers switch gears to the Mccoy's. There's literally hundreds of these engines around. I come across new in the box examples on a regular basis. Ebay is there for those that have no connection with the hobby which fuels a bidding war and inflates prices well above their value. The Garden State Circle Burners swap meet last month was full of engines. There was one large table entirely covered with Mccoy redheads in which the fellow couldn't give them away. I noted he packed up and left. People tend to think that if they own something for 50 years it increases in value. They tend to forget that there's two kinds of cheap in this world, you have cheap, and then you have " control line cheap". That is a Bob Hunt quote that has stuck with me for years.

I enjoy the good ones I own but I find it somewhat ironic that they're are individuals that are willing to pay $50-100 dollars for it when they're are better quality engines available. Nostalgia is neat, just not always practical.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:28 am

Actually I must confess that I was testing Rod's knowledge of Enya engines, thinking that he might reach the same conclusion that Victor did.  

Enya did offer a R/C throttled version of the first gen .60.  From Bob Allan's compendium:

Latest auction win Enya_611

I have one, middle engine with prop.  Which goes to Kens vibration issue mentioned in Bob's first paragraph.  Another issue is the fore front engine........

Latest auction win 3_enya11

Latest auction win 3_enya12

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ticomareado Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:46 am

Live and learn. Thanks.
ticomareado
ticomareado
Account Under Review

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:53 am

ticomareado wrote:Live and learn. Thanks.

You can't win them all Victor, but I must say you win 99.9%.  Enya has a long and varied history.  It took Bob Allan 63 pages to document them.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:34 am

So, with the vibration issue present, has anyone figured out why it is? Does it have anything to do with the odd shaped crankcase (teh way I see the rectuangular form on the side where it is stamped ENYA 60)?
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:02 pm

NEW222 wrote:So, with the vibration issue present, has anyone figured out why it is? Does it have anything to do with the odd shaped crankcase (teh way I see the rectuangular form on the side where it is stamped ENYA 60)?

I wouldn't think so Chancey, more due to crankshaft issues I would think.

I call those the "pregnant" Enyas.  Early ones where the intake transfer port was outside the cylinder.  Later Enyas had the flutes milled inside the cylinder.  

A good picture to illustrate the difference.  Pregnant on the left. Notice the cylinder has two ports, the higher one is the intake port fed by the bulge in the case. But I bet that you already know this.

Latest auction win Enya_116

Enya did this with all their early engines except the reedies including the very cute first gen Enya .09.

Latest auction win Enya_014

But Rod would be a better authority than me on the vibration issue.  It could have something to do with timing.  Maybe he will chime in.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:05 pm

Ken Cook wrote:George, I hear about the Fox shaking from users frequently. My experiences with them have been nothing but positive. But, then again, I'm not the type of individual who's reluctant to take their engine apart for fear that it will never work the same again.I've been using that engine for 40 years. I have seen mention of those grinding the counter weight on the crankshaft to assist balance. What most don't seem to realize is that there's a myriad of problems that account for it's shaking and understanding them solves a majority of them.

Ken, I know a few who truly love the Foxes, and they do a good job, they are reliable and hold a good reputation. It is just that I noticed they have a good share of vibration, more than other engines. Yes, I can't see how grinding the counterweight will solve the problem. A casual glance at the Sceptre Flight photos shows it doesn't seem to have an oversized counterweight. Counterbalancing isn't perfect, it's a compromise. You have linear motion by the piston and more or less the connecting rod being countered by a rotating counterweight that's throwing the weight side to side as well as up and down.

This Enya .60 which I'm not certain what it's model # is, I refer to it as the 6 bolt shakes like nothing I have ever seen. I own the Enya .60 7303, this particular engine is a true sweetheart. It runs in my honest opinion, better and stronger than a Tiger.60.

The early Enya .60 had a limited production run that leads me to believe that Enya wasn't totally satisfied with it. I don't have a .60 in my stable, but the other Enyas I have are good runners.

As far as the Mccoy's, what I have noted since the demise of Fox, Ebay users began taking full advantage of this. Fox .35's and some of the other commonly used Fox engines prices soared. This was in around the time I have seen the I gotta have it buyers switch gears to the Mccoy's. There's literally hundreds of these engines around. I come across new in the box examples on a regular basis. Ebay is there for those that have no connection with the hobby which fuels a bidding war and inflates prices well above their value.

Seems to me that those who are bidding are probably reminiscing of their childhood, some may be saw dad fly, have been out of touch with the CL community for a very long time, and feel they got to have it. But that is just a hunch, given the small amount of bids I see only 2 or 3 that feel they must continue to bid until one finally wins. I drop out when bids exceed my reasonable threshold.

The Garden State Circle Burners swap meet last month was full of engines. There was one large table entirely covered with Mccoy redheads in which the fellow couldn't give them away. I noted he packed up and left. People tend to think that if they own something for 50 years it increases in value. They tend to forget that there's two kinds of cheap in this world, you have cheap, and then you have " control line cheap". That is a Bob Hunt quote that has stuck with me for years.

Where I live, must go out of the area to see those type swap meets. Thus, I am limited to the Bay for items. Amazingly though, once in a while I do manage to land something for a song. I found that bidding on holidays, where people are away are the best times to do.

I enjoy the good ones I own but I find it somewhat ironic that they're are individuals that are willing to pay $50-100 dollars for it when they're are better quality engines available. Nostalgia is neat, just not always practical.

Yup, agreed.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:52 pm

Living in Clovis is a little tough as there really is nothing around, even here in OKC there is only one swap and that is in Prauge. Really good for RC stuff, but you have to scrounge for CL and get there before the door opens.

I am pretty well connected in this hobby so I have always been able to get what I want or need, but I do confess I do make the odd buy on Ebay if the deal is right.

Recently while sourcing motorcycle parts off of Ebay I was contacted by a seller who wanted to work outside of Ebay. I was totally good with that!

Forum(s) want ads seem to do really well, also the classifieds on forums have a ton of stuff. Problem with that is nearly everyone uses Ebay to assess value.

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:23 pm

[quote="rsv1cox"]
NEW222 wrote:A good picture to illustrate the difference.  Pregnant on the left. Notice the cylinder has two ports, the higher one is the intake port fed by the bulge in the case.  But I bet that you already know this.  

Latest auction win Enya_116

Enya did this with all their early engines except the reedies including the very cute first gen Enya .09.

Latest auction win Enya_014

Honestly, I did not know that, but now I do. And it is little things like this that I enjoy spending time in places like this to learn. I guess I just missed out as it appears that my little Enya .09 is the second generation... I thought that the first generation Enya had the LH exhaust and subsequent versions had the standard RH exhaust, but apparently I was wrong yet again... Anyways, here is my second generation Enya .09 on a Platter for CL.
Latest auction win Enya_010
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:08 pm

Actually you can't lose on this one Chancey. Later .09's came both ways, LH & RH exhausts. The 09 and the 09 IV. Both were available in C/L and R/C throttled versions.

Latest auction win Enya_015

Latest auction win Enya_016
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:57 pm

rsv1cox wrote:
But Rod would be a better authority than me on the vibration issue.  It could have something to do with timing.  Maybe he will chime in.

Bob

No offence Bob but your trust in my Enya knowledge is probably a little misplaced. Yes, I love 'em, I have lots of 'em and I've read most of the articles about them that you refer to, but I certainly don't consider myself an authority as I've probably forgotten most of what I learned.

As for the vibration issue, I can't imagine any Enya coming out of the factory with such a problem, even the early ones.  Certainly none in my experience have shown any signs of such a problem, but then again, my only "large" Enya is a .60-III R/C, much later than the engine in question.  Still has the bypass bulge, so basic design didn't change a whole lot.  My only dabbling with early stuff is my Sand-Cast .19 and my .19 4002, neither of which showed any noticeable running issues on the bench.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:18 pm

Don't have the Enya .09-IV TV, so can't speak from experience, but the Enya .09-III TV is no slouch. Overall I gather that the difference between them power wise is minute enough that the later IV is the right hand version. Fuji's .099S-II basically copied Enya's porting design internally. (Enya .09-III is really .099 in displacement. Enya's bore x stroke is 0.512x0.480 inch versus Fuji's 0.500x0.500 inch.) You can see the Enya styled bypass porting in this photo with the Fuji, compared to the OS Max .10R/C internals:

Latest auction win Fuji_016

Peter Chinn mentioned aside from the Cox .09 Tee Dee, the Enya was the most powerful engine he tested back in Fall 1966. Also I found his assessment to be true that running anything smaller than a 7x4 prop was of no advantage. It doesn't have the peak RPM of a Schneurle to take advantage of smaller props. It provides decent power on a 7x6 prop, haven't tested an 8x3 or an 8x4, but others have stated that it does well with these.

And yup, Ron, there isn't anything really near Clovis modelling wise. In fact, the long standing aircraft hobby shops in both Lubbock and Amarillo are now gone, departed 4 or 5 years ago. Owner of one of the oldest hobby shops in the region in Amarillo passed away and there was no one to take over after him. I enjoyed visiting there, because he had CL items too. About 10 years ago I bought 6 Perfect wedge fuel tanks for half-A's, sold them to me for the price they were 20 years ago.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down