Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Merlin Head and Glow Plug Inconsistent Running Cox_ba12

Merlin Head and Glow Plug Inconsistent Running Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Golden Bee basic running problem
by roddie Today at 10:51 pm

» Simple Gliders
by rdw777 Today at 6:25 pm

» Foam hand kids glider converted to 0.049 CL
by rdw777 Today at 6:11 pm

» Weird search for a single comic from an old Mad Magazine
by Kim Today at 1:44 pm

» Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!.
by getback Today at 7:27 am

» Cox .049 Tee Dee engines back in stock (limited availablility)
by GallopingGhostler Today at 1:05 am

» Very off-topic.........Time passes and not always for the best......
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:47 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Wed Jul 24, 2024 11:48 pm

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by rsv1cox Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:30 pm

» Throttles for Cox Tee Dee .049 / .020 / .010 engines --- videos
by sosam117 Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:54 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Admin Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:00 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Mon Jul 22, 2024 4:14 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
July-2024
robot797's

"ULTIMITE COX 010: it has a clutch, E starter, throttle, exhaust, aluminum tank, aluminum venturi, gearbox with forward and reverse, and now its on a custom drawn and printed stand"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Merlin Head and Glow Plug Inconsistent Running Empty
Live on Patrol

Merlin Head and Glow Plug Inconsistent Running

Go down

Merlin Head and Glow Plug Inconsistent Running Empty Merlin Head and Glow Plug Inconsistent Running

Post  Iceberg Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:32 pm

I have a merlin head and glow plug. When I run it on various engines it seems to run really good for maybe 30 seconds then kind of fluctuate and then get back into business. Then I change out for a standard or high comp cox glow plug and it runs true without any fluctuation until tank empty. I needed to add four copper head gaskets until it would start ok. I guess that the compression is higher on the Merlin accounting for the multiple copper shims required. I have wondered if any other suggestions are out there that would help as regards why this head might fluctuate while running but the Cox one does not do that?

Thanks
Iceberg RC Plane
Iceberg
Iceberg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Merlin Head and Glow Plug Inconsistent Running Empty Re: Merlin Head and Glow Plug Inconsistent Running

Post  Mark Boesen Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:51 pm

How does it run with five gaskets? Over compression will cause a engine to sometimes run erratic, as is a hard to needle engine.
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Merlin Head and Glow Plug Inconsistent Running Empty Re: Merlin Head and Glow Plug Inconsistent Running

Post  1/2A Nut Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:49 pm

Is that a flat coil glow bee plug? So this is the insert type with an adapter plug?
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iceberg Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:06 am

Yes it has a coil similar to the cox ones but has a separate insert piece that threads over it. I've only tried 4 head gaskets I'll try 5 gaskets tonight and see.
Thanks
Iceberg
Iceberg
Iceberg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Iceberg Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:21 am

Well I put 5 shims and then went to 6 shims. I actually ran pretty good but still had some slight rpm wavering? I took off the two blade 5x3p and put a three blade 5x3.5p. That was what ran pretty good. Prop wash was also good. Dare I try seven shims? Seems loosing a lot of compression?
Thanks
Ice RC Plane
Iceberg
Iceberg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:00 am

Could it be that the engine just "wants" more load? The other prop has one more blade and higher pitch. Do you have an even bigger prop to try with?

5x3 sounds kinda small for a hopped up engine, although I am far from an expert on this.

KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:02 am

Here is the flat coil insert type no hole for the element greatly improves compression.
That is weird stuff going on on your end I can get by with 1 shim and a nelson plug with my TD engines
What kind of engine are you running over there?

Merlin Head and Glow Plug Inconsistent Running Imag8228

Merlin Head and Glow Plug Inconsistent Running Img_0110
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iceberg Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:29 am

The plugs I have are like the one you show on the right with the purple color. I am going to try a 6x4 tomorrow with the Merlin head. The motor is a real nice venom looking block. Fred sent over. I ran a 6x4 yesterday with standard coz head. Ran great just a touch slower.

Yes 6 or 7 shims didn't sound right to me.
Thanks
Ice
Iceberg
Iceberg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:17 pm

Hey, Ice. It's not unusual to need 5 head gaskets with those drop-in plugs. Especially with a fairly new engine that has good compression already. In fact I usually advise people to start with 5 and work from there. That is a good head and plug combination though. I run them on all of my Cox engines. And on Norvels when they need replacing.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:30 pm

Hey there 1/2A Nut. Question time for you! Where on earth did you ever find the flat coil plugs? Also , who the heck makes those. I have nover seen nor heard of those before your mentioning it along with pictures. That looks kind of funny, but interesting. Thank you.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:43 pm

Without the hole in the plug you get better compression is one reason for the flat coil
another is it spreads the heat further out across the top of the piston for bigger burn
more bang / power. The flat coil element is more robust and can handle higher nitro
lasts longer and handle higher compression. Great for competition engines.
Merlin Glow Bee Plugs. Owner died the family is not currently selling the plugs.
Now the site has been closed down here is the old link:

http://www.merlinglowplugs.com/Aircraft.html

New link modified with the following message:

http://merlinglowplugs.com/

Some sites still have old stock but Merlin also made conventional plugs. The sites
i have found that had stock did not have flat coil types all those have been sold out.

Merlin Head and Glow Plug Inconsistent Running Mgp_al10
Merlin Head and Glow Plug Inconsistent Running Images10
Merlin Head and Glow Plug Inconsistent Running Db848310
Merlin Head and Glow Plug Inconsistent Running Glowp_10
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:17 pm

Very interesting. Thanks for the information. Too bad they are no longer available. Funny to me though as one would think someone else would try to produce them. I could see the benefits now though.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:17 pm

Iceberg wrote:Well I put 5 shims and then went to 6 shims. I actually ran pretty good but still had some slight rpm wavering? I took off the two blade 5x3p and put a three blade 5x3.5p. That was what ran pretty good. Prop wash was also good. Dare I try seven shims? Seems loosing a lot of compression?
Thanks
Ice RC Plane

-Make sure there's no varnish on cylinder?
-needle is not leaking, add a short piece of tubing to needle base. Remove needle and wipe, sometimes crap will cause wavering.

-no air leaking on backplate?
-decent gasket on airtube?
-Is it a new engine, it just might need some time?
-What is the nitro and RPM you're getting? What is the 5x3 you're using? Is it flexing?
-welcome to the fun world of 1/2a's!
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum