Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

And the guess whats hiding in there winner is.................................. Cox_ba12

And the guess whats hiding in there winner is.................................. Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 6:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 5:20 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 5:17 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 11:23 pm

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 9:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 7:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 7:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 4:12 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 2:39 pm

» [solved]most Efficent Glowhead Clip for Norvel Engine
by batjac Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:33 pm

» TD/Medallion .049 fuel draw issues
by Ken Cook Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:18 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

And the guess whats hiding in there winner is.................................. Empty
Live on Patrol

And the guess whats hiding in there winner is..................................

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

And the guess whats hiding in there winner is.................................. Empty And the guess whats hiding in there winner is..................................

Post  rsv1cox Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:29 pm

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t12843-guess-what-s-hiding-in-there

And the guess whats hiding in there winner is.................................. Sandca10
And the guess whats hiding in there winner is.................................. Sandca11
And the guess whats hiding in there winner is.................................. Sandca12

Be patient........

And the guess whats hiding in there winner is.................................. Sandca14
And the guess whats hiding in there winner is.................................. Sandca15
And the guess whats hiding in there winner is.................................. Sandca13

Any time now.  Posted this on the Cox Engines because everybody clicks in here....

And the guess whats hiding in there winner is.................................. Sandca16
And the guess whats hiding in there winner is.................................. Sandca17

And the winner is ME, I love this thing, and roddie.  He had it out of the gate. Model, displacement, full description and date close enough.

And the guess whats hiding in there winner is.................................. Sandca18

According to my educated Enya eye it was, is now, and always will be a sandcast Enya .29.  Only other possibility was the sandcast Enya  .19.  The giveaway was the larger top separation between the fins and the head.  Also the spring needle, the .19's needle is solid wire.

But..........I can't get to the engine.

This plane is all formed wood, hollow wood.  The sellers poor pictures indicated a foam model, he gave no information.  When I opened it I thought plastic.

The cowl is wood and there is no effective way to remove it without breaking something. But I will try.

Anyway, everybody that took the time to offer a guess in my original thread gets an engine.  Overseas too.  Just PM me your address.  roddie gets two the pumper .60 which he will probably never use, but may be fun to set up and run.  My goal, but I never did, and an engine that he might actually like.

Going to see if I can find an OS for Ken so he will know what they actually look like.  Smile  I think Ken was pulling our collective legs.  If anyone here knows engines, it's Ken.  

Remember, if you made a guess PM me your address, Chancey, Rod, and Dirk too.  

Thanks for the fun.........  Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

And the guess whats hiding in there winner is.................................. Empty Re: And the guess whats hiding in there winner is..................................

Post  NEW222 Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:44 pm

Wow is all I can come up with at this moment. You say it is a .29? I don't think I would have ever guess it to be as big as that due to the size of the model. What is the wingspan on that thing, hence why saying it was a smaller engine. Now for a couple of other questions to tickle your brain...... First question. In the second last picture you posted of the tail assembly and the rudder laying down. What on earth is the silver appearing substance in the far side of the fuselage, or does it just appear that way? To me personally, it looks like a silver colored silicone caulking. Now for the second question, and one I believe you will have a very good answer for as you are the restoration expert here. Very Happy I am assuming you do plan on fixing it up some. But the question is regarding the cleaning of it. Being balsa and very dirty and old, what methods do you use to clean something like this up? As well as what materials or chemicals do you use? I ask as the Lil Wizard I picked up was dirty. I used windshield washer fluid to clean it, but there is still some residue left on it that will not come off. It is not a huge deal to me, but would personally like to clean it up some more if possible before putting it back up in the air. I will be watching the ressurection! Thanks for your time.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

And the guess whats hiding in there winner is.................................. Empty Re: And the guess whats hiding in there winner is..................................

Post  rsv1cox Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:36 pm

It's tail weight lead Chancey, heavy to offset the very heavy sand cast .29.

It isn't balsa, but I could be wrong.  I'm thinking bass wood.  I thump on the wing and it's solid and hollow no give like balsa.  Very little structure under there I would guess. The wing tips are things of beauty.  

If anyone has a clue as to it's origin, let me know.  I have questioned the seller but don't expect much.

And the guess whats hiding in there winner is.................................. Sandca19

Oh yeah,  It's 28" wing by 21".  

Solid, wing does not separate.  I think it's home made by someone that knew what he was doing.

Edit add... Not balsa yet the model is quite light.

And the guess whats hiding in there winner is.................................. T-28_b11
And the guess whats hiding in there winner is.................................. T-28_b10

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:48 pm

Cedar?

Cedar can be surprisingly light and is readily available.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:07 am

Well i missed out on that lol i was thinking .029 but have no idea about the sand casting ? Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:26 am

pkrankow wrote:Cedar?

Cedar can be  surprisingly light and is readily available.

Phil

I think so Phil. looks and smells like cedar, a little toxic smell though after all these years.

Someone over on RC Groups thinks it might be a Berkeley kit popular in the 40's/50's. Maybe so but I couldn't find anything on it.

Yeah Eric, ya snooze ya loose.....Smile. I thought you would be all over it.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  trebor3170 Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:02 pm

It kinda looks like a T-28, and Berkeley did make a T-28 kit in the 50's, 30 1/2" span, but it has a built-up wing not solid.

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=876
trebor3170
trebor3170
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:57 pm

Yeah Eric, ya snooze ya loose.....Smile. I thought you would be all over it. wrote:
lol! lol! lol! that's ok i have plenty to play with just not enough time tongue Cool Deal for the one that guessed !!! Thumbs Up
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:14 pm

I managed to peek in thought this crack and verify that it is indeed a .29.

And the guess whats hiding in there winner is.................................. T-28_c11

Somewhat disappointing for me as I was holding out hope for some exotic sand cast Enya like a .35 or .36. They made both later but die cast not sand cast.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:48 pm

Hmmm. Now I am going to go look at the differences between die cast and sand cast engines. Is one more prefferable over the other due to rarity, or does one perform better than the other?
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:18 pm

NEW222 wrote:Hmmm. Now I am going to go look at the differences between die cast and sand cast engines. Is one more prefferable over the other due to rarity, or does one perform better than the other?

I'm not a student of either but for me sand cast engines are more collectible.   Sand castings are rough similar to lost wax.  Die cast much cleaner with better detail.

Sand cast

And the guess whats hiding in there winner is.................................. Sand_c12

Lost wax

And the guess whats hiding in there winner is.................................. Lost_w12
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  dirk gently Wed May 08, 2019 2:34 am

Many thanks to rsv1cox, the engine he sent me has arrived, and it's a gorgeous throttled Baby Bee! It will be featured in a build thread here in a not too distant future.
dirk gently
dirk gently
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Thu May 09, 2019 12:28 am

dirk gently wrote:Many thanks to rsv1cox, the engine he sent me has arrived, and it's a gorgeous throttled Baby Bee! It will be featured in a build thread here in a not too distant future.

Me too! Bob's generous gift was waiting today when I got home from hospital. Thanks Bob.  
I won't be doing any engine work as I'm only one-handed for a while.

Knowing that I wanted a couple of Testors .19 parts to complete one I was repairing, he sent me a complete engine Shocked
You know what that means!  I'll still be looking for parts.  Can't stand having incomplete engines laying around.
Any guesses on the assorted parts that were included?
And the guess whats hiding in there winner is.................................. Img_0610
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu May 09, 2019 7:25 am

First off , What's up with the Hand ??? Have no idea what the other parts are / you don't know ? Heck run that one it may bee parts engine lol! lol! lol! I Love This Forum! Hats off to RSV1COX !!!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Thu May 09, 2019 4:57 pm

getback wrote:First off , What's up with the Hand ??? Have no idea what the other parts are / you don't know ? Heck run that one it may bee parts engine lol! lol! lol! I Love This Forum! Hats off to RSV1COX !!!
Hey Eric. Just had an overhaul done on my left elbow, so feeling a little disabled at the moment. A fair bit of chopping, chiseling and grinding the bones. Six incisions plus a drain tube, so it's all a bit hacked up. Meds are starting to wear off so having a bit of grief currently. Certainly no playing with engines for a while.

The bag of parts has my stumped. Only one piston/rod looks like O&R to me. Not sure about anything else. I'll probably just end up passing it on like Bob did. Included a couple of McCoy o/haul kits and stickers, so they're a bonus. Heck, it's all a bonus!! Very generous of Bob since it cost him quite a few $$$ for postage down under.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri May 10, 2019 7:50 am

I sure hope things work out with some fast recovery !! Babe Bee .049
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri May 10, 2019 11:43 am

Progress:

And the guess whats hiding in there winner is.................................. Spike_17
And the guess whats hiding in there winner is.................................. Spike_18
And the guess whats hiding in there winner is.................................. Spike_19
And the guess whats hiding in there winner is.................................. Chair_11
And the guess whats hiding in there winner is.................................. Chair_10

Looking forward to seeing your build DG, and Rod someday it will come to me what those parts went to and I will smack my forehead - hard. Sad..............Good luck with that Testors series 21. I couldn't get it to run. Hopefully you can and will tell about it here.

Bob

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat May 11, 2019 8:36 am

Progress is coming along nicely , Don't you just love piecing broken parts back together lol I just noticed the lead outs come out mid way up the fuselage ? that's kinda weird , seems it would make it pull / fly in a strange matter ?! tongue what do you think ? RC Plane
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat May 11, 2019 10:12 am

Lot's of weird about this model Eric.

Seems like the bell crank is positioned upside down, either that or there is a large bend in the rod connecting to the elevator.

Check out these wing tip line guides....I don't think I would trust them.  Seems the lines would come out during maneuvers.

And the guess whats hiding in there winner is.................................. T-28_c13

Elevator too, string wrapped around the connecting rod, and metal yes metal hinges.

And the guess whats hiding in there winner is.................................. Chair_12

Bench ran this engine, vert stab on, almost ready to go.  Came with 1 1/2" wheels that are on order, Presently 1 1/4".

And the guess whats hiding in there winner is.................................. Chair_13
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sat May 11, 2019 11:37 am

The engine looks sharp. Also, I have to agree with you on the leadouts. However, if it appears to have been flown, I would then imagine that they would be fine, but I too, wuld do something about them if I was to fly it.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat May 11, 2019 12:52 pm

That Red Head looks nice setting in there , and yes i seen those lead outs on the wing before and I wouldnt trust that stuff !! Metal hinges now thats is different Shocked
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun May 12, 2019 11:12 am

Yes, flexible metal hinges. I had to use a file to smooth them up so I could install pinned hinges. Still trying to preserve the white body paint and didn't want to rip the remaining metal off the stab and the elevator.

Going to repaint the orange parts though. Forced into it.

Engine is the painted sandcast Enya .29 I posted about here before but is not the engine that came with it. Seems to be a good runner on the bench.

Keeping the wheel pants that the PO handcrafted out of tin stock. His spot soldering job didn't hold up so I epoxied the whole length. Will file smooth and paint the under carriage and fuselage silver.

And the guess whats hiding in there winner is.................................. Spike_20
And the guess whats hiding in there winner is.................................. T-28_p17
And the guess whats hiding in there winner is.................................. T-28_p16
And the guess whats hiding in there winner is.................................. T-28_p18
And the guess whats hiding in there winner is.................................. T-28_p19
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Sun May 12, 2019 5:47 pm

That"s Coming Along Nicely. The Engine Looks Really Good . I'm a Fellow Enya Fan .
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

And the guess whats hiding in there winner is.................................. Empty No luck here either.

Post  Oldenginerod Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:21 am

Oldenginerod wrote: Bob's generous gift was waiting today when I got home from hospital. Thanks Bob.  
I won't be doing any engine work as I'm only one-handed for a while.

Knowing that I wanted a couple of Testors .19 parts to complete one I was repairing, he sent me a complete engine Shocked
You know what that means!  I'll still be looking for parts.  Can't stand having incomplete engines laying around.
Any guesses on the assorted parts that were included?
And the guess whats hiding in there winner is.................................. Img_0610

Just a follow-up on Bob's Testors .19 gift/prize.

The engine arrived complete apart from some shiny non-original backplate screws.  I could have just parted it out for the bits I needed for my spare R/C version, but hey, Bob couldn't get it to fire, so maybe I should try.  Elbow feeling pretty good, so time for some fun and games.
I decided to clean it up a little first.  Typical of Bob, an antifreeze bath was in order.  Off with the backplate and head.  Well, looks like it has been sitting for a while with the crankcase half full of something corrosive.  No serious damage, but a very obvious tide line in there.  Next surprise was two head gaskets fitted, one original alloy and the other a compound one.  No wonder it had no compression. (If only it was that simple!!!). Anyway, bore was very grubby, so I figured the A/F boil would clean it up.  I was wrong.  Bore is pretty badly rusted.  I didn't want to force the cylinder, so I couldn't remove the piston to check the ring or clean up the bore, so it just went back together well oiled.  Had to put a plug in it as the one that came with it was dead.
While it was full of oil it would fire with a burst from a starter, but once the oil was expelled it just free-wheeled over with no compression at all.  I had refitted the alloy head gasket, so I may try a compound one and see if that's part of the problem, but I would suggest that a hone and new ring will be in order.  Maybe I will just part it out! Huh...
No complaints from me- Don't look a gift-horse in the mouth.  I wanted parts, and Bob generously sent me the parts I needed, so everything is good (untill I get a hankerin' to make a non-runner run- I can't help myself).

Rod (trying to decide).
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:48 am

Whew Rod, I thought it was just me. Thought I had lost my touch.

Sorry for sending you such a loser. I had no idea that it was trashed on the inside. No wonder I could not get it to run.

Keep the faith, if anyone can get it humming it's you.

But, it did prompt me to get some of my neglected McCoy's and Testor/McCoys out of the display case and check them over. Looks like I will be needing some of those Taiwan glow plugs.

And the guess whats hiding in there winner is.................................. Neglec10

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next