Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

My Tee Dee 051 Carb Body (red) Is Cracked!! Cox_ba12

My Tee Dee 051 Carb Body (red) Is Cracked!! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Older ignition books
by lla Today at 4:17 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 3:54 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:33 pm

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -May 2024-
by getback Today at 10:23 am

» S1 Ringmaster
by Onelife Today at 8:40 am

» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by rsv1cox Today at 7:54 am

» O&R 23 & Brown Jr
by getback Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by MauricioB Today at 2:31 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Hemostat clamp/smooth-jaws
by roddie Yesterday at 3:48 pm

» Black Widow Run time
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:44 pm

» 1:64 scale Diecast (Hot Wheels)
by roddie Yesterday at 3:33 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

My Tee Dee 051 Carb Body (red) Is Cracked!! Empty
Live on Patrol

My Tee Dee 051 Carb Body (red) Is Cracked!!

Go down

Help! My Tee Dee 051 Carb Body (red) Is Cracked!!

Post  modelbuilder49 Wed May 15, 2019 4:48 pm

Hey guys! The red carb body for my Tee Dee 051 is cracked.  I was test running in preparation for my upcoming Run What Ya Brung video when I noticed the crack.  Honestly, I've never done anything to any of my Tee Dee engines other than replace a plug. This engine has been shelved for nearly 15 years but I wanted to give it a go. It ran and ran well but the needle assembly began turning and wouldn't stay put. That's when I noticed the crack in the back of the mount. Now I know this is going to sound silly but how difficult is it to replace this front end?  I looked at the Cox International site and I see they offer an aluminum replacement (Cox .049 / .051 Alu Carburetor Body - Round - Red for $19.95).  Will this work?  Has anyone had experience with them?  I look forward to any advice y'all can offer.   Thanks in advance.

Jim Carter

Last edited by modelbuilder49 on Wed May 15, 2019 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarification)
modelbuilder49
modelbuilder49
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Help! Re: My Tee Dee 051 Carb Body (red) Is Cracked!!

Post  Cribbs74 Wed May 15, 2019 5:31 pm

Jim,

It’s not hard at all, most of us have done it and can step you through it pretty easily. As with all things there is more than one way to skin a cat.

You can order plastic or aluminum through exmodelengines.com or Cox International.

Either style will work, the aluminum will last indefinitely. Go ahead and place the order, when it arrives let us know and we can get started.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed May 15, 2019 5:44 pm

I've been running this one for several years with no problems.  Got the engine a long time ago, and it had NOT had a good life, but still ran good.  While on my 2M B.O.T. with it's original plastic body, it started acting up, going lean, then back, to sometimes croaking in flight, and I'm a little embarrassed now that it took me so long to notice the crack that had opened toward the cylinder.

Can't remember who I got it from, but installed it, and have been burning nitro ever since.

I'd highly recommend it, and as Ron said, replacing it is no problem.

Good Luck !!!

My Tee Dee 051 Carb Body (red) Is Cracked!! 1_56
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed May 15, 2019 8:17 pm

Ditto that, me too. I've used both. My aluminum one came with a Teflon ring seal for the rear end which I don't even recall if I needed. The plastic one is shaped so that it's keyed in place and cannot rotate off the center of the port. My metal one is not, but that isn't a problem, as it's never slipped and moved.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  modelbuilder49 Thu May 16, 2019 11:15 am

Cribbs74 wrote:Jim,

It’s not hard at all, most of us have done it and can step you through it pretty easily. As with all things there is more than one way to skin a cat.

You can order plastic or aluminum through exmodelengines.com or Cox International.

Either style will work, the aluminum will last indefinitely. Go ahead and place the order, when it arrives let us know and we can get started.

Ron
Okayyyyyyyy!! I placed the order and I'm placing my hope and trust in you in that you will share your knowledge on how to guide me through the replacement/repair of my parts Smile Thanks in advance!!

Jim
modelbuilder49
modelbuilder49
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu May 16, 2019 5:57 pm

modelbuilder49 wrote:
Cribbs74 wrote:Jim,

Ron
Okayyyyyyyy!!  I placed the order and I'm placing my hope and trust in you in that you will share your knowledge on how to guide me through the replacement/repair of my parts Smile   Thanks in advance!!

Jim

Jim, I guarantee we can get you through this. Have you removed the cylinder and piston assembly before? Trying to get an idea of how much help you need. We could probably break the engine down while you wait for the new part. After that it’s just a matter of putting it back together in reverse order.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu May 16, 2019 9:23 pm

I know y'all hate this... But I just remove the prop and use the Tee Dee wrench to unscrew the locking collet and it presses the drive plate off. Then the carb body is free and might even fall off. Then I put the new carb body on, screw the locking collet back on and use a screw and washers or something to press the drive plate back on. Cox actually endorsed this method back in the day  Old Bugger ... I think. I have never hurt, nor seen how it can hurt anything.
Brute Force Rusty Smoking

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu May 16, 2019 9:34 pm

lol! pot stirrer.

Yes, I am not fond of that method, it does work I suppose. If the stock Cox wrench had a better cutout that actually fit properly I would be more eager to adopt that method.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Fri May 17, 2019 4:31 am

I have used the method Rusty described on several engines. Only once was I not careful enough and let the wrench slip DAMMIT! It caused slight cosmetic damage to the collet. But it was sort of beat-up already anyway. I am not blaming the wrench, it was my own fault. And it did buff out Thumbs Up

Another way would be to remove the cylinder, backplate and piston, then screw in an old prop screw and tap it with a hammer to get the crankshaft loose, like you would do with reedies.

Both methods have their benefits. The first method is good if you don't plan to take the engine completely apart but are just replacing the carb body. Using the other you reduce the risk of damaging the collet and threads.

For replacing the drive plate I use a prop screw, a washer or two and an old propeller (missing a blade but one blade is enough for this purpose Wink ). The propeller is a good "handle" since usually your hands are a bit oily at this point and also you need a way to keep the crankshaft from rotating as you tighten the screw.

I only just recently purchased the "proper" tools from Cox Int for this, have yet to test them.
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri May 17, 2019 6:17 am

If the engine is otherwise OK, I'd use Rusty's method and leave the cylinder/piston/backplate alone. As always, a little heat applied to the area is a helper in getting things to cooperate.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri May 17, 2019 8:14 am

Popcorn If it ran good before as Jim said i would just replace the Body at this point , But with it off you can look and see if you have old castor build up on some of the crank.. Ron is running this round up so i will set back and watch .. Popcorn
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  modelbuilder49 Fri May 17, 2019 10:07 am

Jim, I guarantee we can get you through this. Have you removed the cylinder and piston assembly before? Trying to get an idea of how much help you need. We could probably break the engine down while you wait for the new part. After that it’s just a matter of putting it back together in reverse order.

Ron

Hey y'all, Lord knows, I appreciate the advice and suggestions, I really do.  But to answer Ron, I must say, no sir, I have never attempted do disassemble this or any of my Tee Dee engine.  I have never had to as they have been that reliable.  When the parts arrive I'll reach out again, if that's okay!

Jim

Last edited by RknRusty on Fri May 17, 2019 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fixed quote tag)
modelbuilder49
modelbuilder49
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri May 17, 2019 11:40 am

Jim,

We can do this a couple ways, my school of thought would be to break it down completely so you can see how it all works together. That way you are better served if the need arises to get into the engine again. The whole TD engine has 15 parts. It’s very simple. It’s really up to you, just know if you botch it up we(I)can get you the parts to fix it.

When you get a chance please post a picture of the engine in question.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri May 17, 2019 12:19 pm

Ron will talk you through it Jim, but it's a piece of cake.

I like disassembling the whole engine, then you can clean the goo off the crank shaft and it's relief.

Just be thankful your engine doesn't look like the one in the upper left.

My Tee Dee 051 Carb Body (red) Is Cracked!! Cox_m148

Hardest part is unscrewing the back plate as they get locked with castor.  Also the plastic venturi can be stubborn.  A little carefully applied heat helps.

These three were nasty to begin with and stayed that way. I think I got the venturis from MECOA but I'm not sure.

My Tee Dee 051 Carb Body (red) Is Cracked!! Cox_en48
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  modelbuilder49 Thu May 23, 2019 3:54 pm

Well guys! I did it! I think I successfully removed and replaced the front housings on both of my Tee Dee 051's. Boy, was I a bit worried trying to remove that pressed on drive plate but doing it the way Rusty said, it came off pretty easily. After cleaning everything up as then putting it all back together, I was feeling pretty good. Now to put'em to the test and fire'em up Very Happy ! Thanks guys Very Happy !!

Jim
modelbuilder49
modelbuilder49
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu May 23, 2019 4:36 pm

Thumbs Up
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu May 23, 2019 8:56 pm

Good work, Jim. I sure am glad the "Rusty said" method didn't totally botch it up, Lol. They usually aren't all that tight. Pulling the drive plate back onto the splines is the most critical part of the operation.
Now you're a certified 1/2-A&P mechanic. lol!

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu May 23, 2019 9:00 pm

I wanted him to break it down Rusty... Devil

Laughing No worries, he is back in action, after all that’s what really matters
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down