Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Please tell me the Fox .35 needle looks like this Cox_ba12

Please tell me the Fox .35 needle looks like this Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:44 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:37 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:17 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

» [solved]most Efficent Glowhead Clip for Norvel Engine
by batjac Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:33 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Please tell me the Fox .35 needle looks like this Empty
Live on Patrol

Please tell me the Fox .35 needle looks like this

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Please tell me the Fox .35 needle looks like this Empty Please tell me the Fox .35 needle looks like this

Post  rsv1cox Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:35 pm

Please tell me the Fox .35 needle looks like this Box_1-11
Please tell me the Fox .35 needle looks like this Box_1-10
Please tell me the Fox .35 needle looks like this Box_1-12

Edit add.

Whew, answered my own question. Went to stunt hangar and found similar needles. I can't take many more broken needletips and when I removed this one from a hot engine I thought, oh no not again.

BTW - The Fox cleaned up really nice and has gobs of compression. A three hour crock pot A/F boil along with some others that did not turn out so well.........sigh.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Please tell me the Fox .35 needle looks like this Empty Re: Please tell me the Fox .35 needle looks like this

Post  roddie Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:23 pm

Hey Robert. Don't hesitate to bench-run that engine, open-face. I would personally source some 10-22 2-stroke fuel and hearing-protection.... throw that 10 x 6 prop that came with it; back on.. and run a tankful of fuel. You may be pleasantly surprised.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Please tell me the Fox .35 needle looks like this Empty Re: Please tell me the Fox .35 needle looks like this

Post  Ken Cook Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:56 pm

After the 40th anniversary engine, the needles were tapered. The replacements that were offered no longer had the flat ground into the taper. I prefer your version due to the replacements barely hanging on by a thread or two when adjusted.It all depends on the version of spraybar.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:16 pm

Confession time.

I always thought Fox a second rate engine. Not as nicely finished as the Japanese engines and other offerings. Even the McCoy's were more impressive. But, knocking the the dust off this one revealed a well finished engine that turns over with authority and draws and expels air like right now. Talk about POP.

I have a sealed quart of Brodak 5%/29% that I have been hoarding for an engine like this.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:40 pm

Bob, the Fox is a great engine in terms of plug and play. I find them to be darn near indestructible assuming one doesn't crash it.However, I've found that also to be a part of the break in process which makes them run even better once it's all loosened up. It's light, about the same weight as the Mccoy redhead. I just never found the red heads to be durable enough in terms of running them hard, they just wear out. The Fox typically overheats and seizes, once cooled off it's game on. The redhead gets thrown out. I like the redhead in terms of the run it offers. From combat to racing to stunt I have used the Fox.35 in all aspects of the hobby. The Fox .35 probably sees more use than any other engine I own. I have some real runners not to mention the ABC versions which I enjoy equally. One thing I honestly enjoy is when we have contests like Foxberg racing where everyone is using the Fox.35. At one of our picnics we had 13 of them all up in the same circle. It was going real well until one of the pilots engine quit. He landed and the guys got him restarted and then the carnage. He took off practically vertical into all of us which turned many of us into lawn darts ending the fun. It sounded pretty cool when they were all running.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:52 am

I would have like to been there for that Foxberg event Ken. Must have been a sight.

I forgot, I do have two other Fox engines. .15's. One R/C the other C/L which I believe is a fully qualified "Hurler". I can't find the R/C version but it's around somewhere.

Please tell me the Fox .35 needle looks like this Fox_1510
Please tell me the Fox .35 needle looks like this Fox_1511
Please tell me the Fox .35 needle looks like this Fox_1513
Please tell me the Fox .35 needle looks like this Fox_1512
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:26 am

The .15 CL you have is a steel fin, not the hurler. The RC version you have is what is considered the hurler, but real fox guys won’t hurl it. Looks like the backplate is on backward on the steel fin.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:21 pm

Bob, the .15X as Fox referred to it is a good running engine. They're light and offer a lot of punch for a small engine. It seems as though users had a difficult time starting them. I firmly believe this is due to the overly thick head gasket Duke installed in them. This was to facilitate easier starting when new. I have a whole bag of these thick shims. Looking at my engine and noting yours in the picture, it appears to me that your engine might still have this thick shim. This lowered the compression too much causing real difficulty in starting once the engine had some runs on it. Pictures are hard to tell but it certainly looks to me that your head is jacked up higher  than mine. I have the identical engine to yours and my space is probably half of what yours is. This in my opinion is to why modelers would rather throw them .

The steelfin .15 was known as the Rocket, it doesn't offer the same power and running characteristics of the .15X. I like the steelfin but one has to recognize it's limitations. I fly them on slightly shorter lines. A Ringmaster Jr. is a good candidate.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:38 pm

FWIW Robert, My old Fox .29 Stunt and .35 Stunt engines have that same needle with the two opposing flats in the taper.. although the .29's is a shorter taper than the .35's.

Please tell me the Fox .35 needle looks like this Dsc02311
Please tell me the Fox .35 needle looks like this Dsc02312

I can tell you that the .35 was my Grandfathers.. and likely has the original needle.

The .29 however; was purchased by me in the early 1990's.. for $5.. seized.. in a paper bag.. from a fella that "used to" run a hobby-shop in the early 1980's in my home-town of Franklin, MA. Franklin Hobby Center/David Savadyjga owner. He told me that the engine was seized and its' needle was broken-off.. but I bought it anyway. It looked like it had never been run or mounted in a model. Soon after, I was told by "Dave Cook" of N.E.S.T. that the .29 engine was pretty much equal in performance to the same vintage .35 engine. I was somehow referred to a hobby-shop in Central Falls, RI owned by a "Louis Peters" who might have a replacement needle for the Fox .29 Stunt engine. I drove there.. only to find out that the shop was only open on "Thursdays".. from 4-8pm. What? I later learned that Mr. Peters was in poor health.. and not a young man.. by any means. The following Thursday, I drove to Central Falls again around 4pm. and waited. Soon after 4 o'clock a car pulled up and dropped off its' passenger. It was Mr. Peters. He made his way slowly to the shop's door and unlocked it. I went in a few minutes later. His shop was well-seasoned.. with disorganized hobby-stuff EVERYWHERE. Thinking back; I wish I had taken photos of it. Mr. Peters had a Fox replacement needle for the .29.. and he also sold me a spool of Pylon .004" x35' x2 C/L solid-lines.. of which I still have.. unused. The below photo is of the Fox replacement needle.. and that spool of Pylon line.

Please tell me the Fox .35 needle looks like this Louis_10

I store the Pylon line-spool in a plastic bag with a desicant-pack enclosed.

Regarding the Fox .29 Stunt engine.. It was merely castor-seized.. and has loads of compression.. and "pops" like you mentioned of your recent Fox .35! My Gramps's Fox .35 Stunt is just as sweet.. and complete! Both of my engines are RTR....

Robert.. I feel that you would appreciate the following information that I have on this man; "Louis Peters". He was instrumental in our hobby. The "RCM" (Radio Control Modeller's magazine) lists Mr. Peters as holding the Rhode Island AMA charter.

Please tell me the Fox .35 needle looks like this Louis_11

I have no idea when Mr. Peters first became involved in our hobby.. but I feel "Lucky" to have met the man.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Please tell me the Fox .35 needle looks like this Empty Please tell me the Fox .35 needle looks like this

Post  Eddy Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:04 pm

Yes, and the Fox .19 and .25 that had the two needle valve set up, if one wanted. Both of mine, the .19 and .25, have the same Fox .35 stunt spade needle and spray bar. those two were smaller stunt engines.
Eddy
Eddy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:24 pm

The 3 bolt backplate Fox .25 ( Mini stunt .35) is not a common one. I have the .19 myself, a bit underpowered for my style but neat nonetheless. I always wanted to replicate the Don Stills Stuka using the old .25.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:00 pm

Thanks all.

Great story roddie.

My eyes just see one beveled side on the Fox needle, but will get out the magnifying glass and check for sure.

These old Foxes keep coming out of the wood work. While looking for something else this .35 surfaced missing the needle and prop drive/prop washers. Otherwise identical to the other one. Checked ebay for a prop drive washer and I can only find ones for the .45 a clogged washer that I doubt would substitute.

Please tell me the Fox .35 needle looks like this _35_fo10
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:11 pm

Bob, Mecoa purchased the leftover parts and offers the prop driver.
more info, It's $15 and change. As cheap as most control line guys are, He will have these for a eternity

Part Number: 20f-3509
Old Part Number: 13509 35220
Stock Status: GOOD
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:18 pm

Ken Cook wrote:Bob, Mecoa purchased the leftover parts and offers the prop driver.
more info, It's $15 and change. As cheap as most control line guys are, He will have these for a eternity

Laughing .. Yes.. I fit that description.. and I'm not ashamed to admit it. If I had the means, I'd be machining some hard to find replacement parts for model engines.. and asking a fair price for them. In this/our time of 3D printing and CNC repeatability.. parts can be fabricated/machined with much less fuss.. and with greater accuracy. A hobbyist shouldn't have to pay an "arm and a leg" for a replacement-part for their vintage engine(s).
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:05 pm

Ken Cook wrote:Bob, Mecoa purchased the leftover parts and offers the prop driver.

Nothing to grizzle about at that price.  $15.80.  You fellas have it good.  That's gonna end up near $40 AUD incl. shipping if I wanted one.  All their parts look reasonably priced for something you can't get elsewhere.

Just buy one if you need one.  Some of you probably spend that on coffee in a day.  Smokers most certainly burn more than that a day.

For all the complaints that I hear about MECOA, and I acknowledge their shortfalls in the way they sometimes do business, at least they have otherwise unobtainable parts that we need, and at a reasonable price.  By buying out dying companies such as Fox engines they have at lease saved a heap of parts from going in the trash. If I need something they have, I'm happy to deal with them. Several orders already and never a problem for me.

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:06 am

Thanks Ken and all

It only cost me $34.65 to bring this $25/$35 engine back to life. Prop drive washer, prop washer, prop nut, needle. I could have done without the prop washer and nut, but so what, I will have a lot of fun with it. Maybe get them both running at the same time and do a tach race.

In my dreams I see a P-38 or B-25 being powered by them.

I never watch TV in the morning but I watched the D-Day Ceremonies in France this morning. Moving and impressive.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  YakNine Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:23 am

I love the Fox's even with the stock needles if they are in good shape they run fine, but the replacement needles are more expensive than a complete Super Tigre type aftermarket needle assembly so gradually my fox collection is being switched over to RSM ST needle valves, The 35's I file the sides down on till they mic the same as the fox OD in the throat area. The 15 needle I don't like and I think I think I have only had one good one out of 6, the spring doesn't allow it to hold a needle setting but the od matches the ST valve so you don't have to file it. A good glow plug and a ST type needle valve and you won't want to hurl a Fox 15 again. Next winter i'm going to experiment with milling out some tongue mufflers to try on the 15's as they are pretty darn loud. T.J.
YakNine
YakNine
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:48 am

Ken Cook wrote:          After the 40th anniversary engine, the needles were tapered. The replacements that were offered no longer had the flat ground into the taper. I prefer your version due to the replacements barely hanging on by a thread or two when adjusted.It all depends on the version of spraybar.
I understood that the flat needle was the "new improved" model. The older tapered ones would wobble from too much play giving erratic settings, and the ones with the flat would stay centred somewhat better.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:21 pm

The flat ground version was the early version, the tapered ( No flat ground on the taper) was and still is the replacement. The newer fits the older. The problem was with the indexing on the spraybar and or the needle which only has it into the spraybar by only 2-3 threads to achieve a needle setting. The thread size is 3-48 which is a bastard size to begin with. A Fox needle in general offers a erratic setting. The threads are poorly finished, the spraybars can also themselves be oversized. It's Fox, Duke was frugal. It's a necessity to find the proper length piece of fuel tubing and install it over the threads. You can't even properly choke some of them with your finger for a prime due to air leaking around the needle.  Bob shows the other Fox .35 which is the older 50's with the wide bypass. That spraybar I believe was a single hole spraybar which in my opinion was better.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Onelife Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:33 pm

Ken Cook wrote:          After the 40th anniversary engine, the needles were tapered. The replacements that were offered no longer had the flat ground into the taper. I prefer your version due to the replacements barely hanging on by a thread or two when adjusted.It all depends on the version of spraybar.

Ken where can I find dates for my fox engines?
If I took pictures of them all and posted would you be able to tell ?
Onelife
Onelife
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:30 pm

If you posted a picture, I can pretty much place a timeline on the engine. Bill Mohrbacher who's no longer with us did a great chronological order of Fox .35's. I might be able to post Bill's findings.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Onelife Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:02 pm

That would be very helpful and appreciated thanks. I will get on that. I hope it’s not to complicated to post pictures
Onelife
Onelife
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Onelife Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:11 pm

Did they go through?
Onelife
Onelife
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Onelife Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:19 pm

Please tell me the Fox .35 needle looks like this 05b71310Please tell me the Fox .35 needle looks like this De472410
Onelife
Onelife
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Onelife Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:23 pm

Please tell me the Fox .35 needle looks like this 5079c710
Please tell me the Fox .35 needle looks like this Cae06f10Please tell me the Fox .35 needle looks like this 5079c710
Please tell me the Fox .35 needle looks like this Cae06f10Please tell me the Fox .35 needle looks like this 5079c710
Please tell me the Fox .35 needle looks like this Cae06f10
Onelife
Onelife
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum