Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

My Testors Skyhawk...Chapter 1:  The Golden Bee gets De-Gooed Cox_ba12

My Testors Skyhawk...Chapter 1:  The Golden Bee gets De-Gooed Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» #Abortion pills in Dubai#+277-32027887 Abortion pills for sale in Dubai
by kasm Yesterday at 11:51 pm

» Original Box for P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer Value
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 11:09 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Yesterday at 5:40 pm

» Cox P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» thread measurements
by MauricioB Yesterday at 5:33 pm

» Cox Thompson Trophy Winner
by Jerry Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» COX 010 TeeDee with RC carb, courtesy sosam 117
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:08 pm

» "Me and Crazy Horse...Our Anniversary"
by fit90 Yesterday at 2:52 pm

» a cheap sport muffler
by robot797 Yesterday at 1:34 pm

» OS 10FSR Carb Needed
by Cougar 429 Yesterday at 1:14 pm

» AP .061 Hornet
by F4D Phantom II Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:01 pm

» dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others
by rsv1cox Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:46 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

My Testors Skyhawk...Chapter 1:  The Golden Bee gets De-Gooed Empty
Live on Patrol

My Testors Skyhawk...Chapter 1: The Golden Bee gets De-Gooed

Go down

My Testors Skyhawk...Chapter 1:  The Golden Bee gets De-Gooed Empty My Testors Skyhawk...Chapter 1: The Golden Bee gets De-Gooed

Post  Kim Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:08 pm

So, it begins.  It took a while, but the van and camper have been returned to "Standby Status", with the last vestiges of S.M.A.L.L. removed and stored.

And now, my attention turns to this wonderful relic from the Groovy 60's, Troy's gift of a Testors "Skyhawk".  Looking like a long-winged Piper Cherokee, the foam and plastic R/C RTF has spent a long time inside it's cardboard cocoon.

I intend to control it with a single (or possible two) channel system, since the Transmitter for the 27 mhz pulse receiver is AWOL.  But that's down the road...today, I was in an "engine mood" and turned my attention to the Cox Golden Bee that was bolted to the Skyhawk's snout.

Testors actually marketed the plane with both Testors and Cox engines, and anybody that's willing to check in with facts on that piece of history is welcome to do so.

The Skyhawk's Golden Bee was thoroughly Goo-Locked and also missing it's cylinder. Figure maybe in the distant past, it's owner attempted to change it's glowhead, and got the whole chunk instead.  With no flats cut into the cylinder's cooling fins, maybe the owner got frustrated at trying to separate the two and chucked them.  We will probably never know~~~

My Testors Skyhawk...Chapter 1:  The Golden Bee gets De-Gooed 1_62

My Testors Skyhawk...Chapter 1:  The Golden Bee gets De-Gooed 1_512

My Testors Skyhawk...Chapter 1:  The Golden Bee gets De-Gooed 4_45

The Golden Bee was stuck...and I mean STUCK.  I don't claim to be the Wizard of Mummified Engines, but like to think I pretty-much know my way around your typical wad of castor. This thing took two extended Prestone Hot Baths in ye ole Crock Pot before the ancient bond was broken.  EVERYTHING was plugged, and digging at the petrified castor took some time.

My Testors Skyhawk...Chapter 1:  The Golden Bee gets De-Gooed 5_37

My Testors Skyhawk...Chapter 1:  The Golden Bee gets De-Gooed 6_28

The crank wouldn't loosen, and so was deftly knocked from the case and cleaned.

My Testors Skyhawk...Chapter 1:  The Golden Bee gets De-Gooed 7_32

The GB got new gaskets, reed, pickup tube & spring, a replacement cylinder from the junk box,and a brand new old OEM Tee Dee head (figure any extra pop will be useful as it drags the Skyhawk through the ether).

My Testors Skyhawk...Chapter 1:  The Golden Bee gets De-Gooed 10_24
My Testors Skyhawk...Chapter 1:  The Golden Bee gets De-Gooed 11_112

My Testors Skyhawk...Chapter 1:  The Golden Bee gets De-Gooed 13_22

The old spare parts engine came to life fairly easy, and I was able to get close to a 15 minute run with on-the-go refuelings.

My Testors Skyhawk...Chapter 1:  The Golden Bee gets De-Gooed 14_20

My Testors Skyhawk...Chapter 1:  The Golden Bee gets De-Gooed 14_21

Now, off to the plane!

Last edited by Kim on Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:03 am; edited 3 times in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

My Testors Skyhawk...Chapter 1:  The Golden Bee gets De-Gooed Empty Re: My Testors Skyhawk...Chapter 1: The Golden Bee gets De-Gooed

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:35 pm

That’s a nice early Golden Bee, it would have had a thin walled cylinder, but I know you don’t care about stuff like that.

Great job on the cleanup, that was a lot of dried castor on that crank, even bent the stud getting it out!

Ron

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

My Testors Skyhawk...Chapter 1:  The Golden Bee gets De-Gooed Empty Re: My Testors Skyhawk...Chapter 1: The Golden Bee gets De-Gooed

Post  Kim Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:52 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:That’s a nice early Golden Bee, it would have had a thin walled cylinder, but I know you don’t care about stuff like that.

Great job on the cleanup, that was a lot of dried castor on that crank, even bent the stud getting it out!

Ron

Thanks Ron! Yep...it was a good morning!!!

...and I DO care...I just don't act on it!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:23 am

Wow, Nice plane Kim. So that's where my old Testors Skyhawk ended up, right in your back yard. Got the rest of that GB right here head tightly bonded to the cylinder...… Smile I'm amazed that a couple of A/F boils did not lighten the anodizing.

Great idea using a wood block inside the Cox engine test stand. I have a hard time getting my fingers in there to mount and tighten little #2 nuts and washers. But are those wood screws your using or machine screws? I don't know of many hex heads that are screws.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:15 am

rsv1cox wrote:Wow, Nice plane Kim.  So that's where my old Testors Skyhawk ended up, right in your back yard.  Got the rest of that GB right here head tightly bonded to the cylinder...… Smile   I'm amazed that a couple of A/F boils did not lighten the anodizing.  

Great idea using a wood block inside the Cox engine test stand.  I have a hard time getting my fingers in there to mount and tighten little #2 nuts and washers.  But are those wood screws your using or machine screws?  I don't know of many hex heads that are screws.

Bob

WAIT A MINUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This YOUR SKYHAWK ????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The tag on it's wing and back listed it's owner as one Tom Tczynske of Chicago, Illinois!

Methinks my boy-like gullibility may be in play here...

Yes...I just about got to be forced at gunpoint to deal with tiny machine hardware..

The socket head screws are from Microfasteners, and listed as "Sheet Metal Screws" on their site. I've got a variety of lengths to match whatever I'm testing. They also sell "Servo Screws" which have a flange under the socket, and these are great for horseshoe backplates, along with their #2 Fender Washers.

I've gotten a lifetime supply of various hardwood end-cuts from the cabinet shop up the road. Whenever I get a new test stand, I cut a block to fit inside it, and drill all the holes to match, along with gouging out a trough for the choke tube on the side for that engine.

https://www.microfasteners.com/self-tapping-sheet-metal-and-wood-screws.html

Didn't know that antifreeze would lighten the anodizing, but she was gonna get a bath either way!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:23 am

Cool looking plane and nice job of getting the GB back in action , I like those old thin walled cylinder myself . Bob i got some of those Hex hd. #2 wood screws and they are nice alot easier to work with especially if you don't want to mess up the finish on the tank ! They came from a vendor at a swap meet i was at he has pretty good prices on his stuff and a lot of small screws washers nuts ect ect . $2.00 for 40 #2X3/8 if i can find his card i will put it out there for everyone to have , hes a pretty interesting guy Smile
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:24 am

Kim wrote:
rsv1cox wrote:Wow, Nice plane Kim.  So that's where my old Testors Skyhawk ended up, right in your back yard.  Got the rest of that GB right here head tightly bonded to the cylinder...… Smile   I'm amazed that a couple of A/F boils did not lighten the anodizing.  

Great idea using a wood block inside the Cox engine test stand.  I have a hard time getting my fingers in there to mount and tighten little #2 nuts and washers.  But are those wood screws your using or machine screws?  I don't know of many hex heads that are screws.

Bob

WAIT A MINUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This YOUR SKYHAWK ????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The tag on it's wing and back listed it's owner as one Tom Tczynske of Chicago, Illinois!

Methinks my boy-like gullibility may be in play here...

Didn't know that antifreeze would lighten the anodizing, but she was gonna get a bath either way!

Yup, Tom Tczynske is one of my aliases, another is Calvin Coolidge. Smile Maybe I should use multiple happy faces..... Smile

I found out the hard way about losing anodizing in an anti freeze boil when it sucked the life out of a sandcast Enya that I was boiling. I'm thinking about now just using the medium heat setting.

Sorry about my little escape from reality....I'm not really Calvin Coolidge, but we are about the same age. Smile

Fitting a wood block to my Cox engine stand. Good ideas deserve duplication.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:01 am

Well, I'm sure Mr. Tczynske is/was a fine gentleman also! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I've also got some blocks that are drilled to be mounted in front of the stand for running those "Off-Brand" engines, and cut some small planks that attach to rear of the stand to hold rubberbanded fuel tanks...

My Testors Skyhawk...Chapter 1:  The Golden Bee gets De-Gooed 4c1b3110
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:04 pm

Off Brand lol! Yes Blocks are good from the cabinet builders , all kinds good stuff for US ! Kim you going to haul some camera eqip. on that skyhawk ?? lol!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Tee Bee Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:07 pm

I'm just having a nice time following this thread. Clapping
Tee Bee
Tee Bee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:23 pm

getback wrote:Off Brand lol! Yes Blocks are good from the cabinet builders , all kinds good stuff for US ! Kim you going to haul some camera eqip. on that skyhawk ?? lol!

Oh, count on it!!!!! These days, I feel somewhat "cheated" when I don't have a video to watch after a flight!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ticomareado Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:30 pm

Mount a Tee Dee with some light R/C gear on the plane and you can probably cut those wings down to a more scale like span and widen them with strip ailerons.
ticomareado
ticomareado
Account Under Review

Back to top Go down

Post  ticomareado Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:32 pm

And that Golden Bee looks too nice and unscratched to be put back into service.
ticomareado
ticomareado
Account Under Review

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:44 pm

Tee Bee wrote:I'm just having a nice time following this thread.  Clapping

AND IT SHALL ROLL ON !!!!!

Ron's comment on the Golden Bee having the wrong cylinder kept chewing on me as I pushed my lawn mower around the yard---all the time channeling Bones McCoy, "Dammit Jim!  I'm a Sport Flyer---Not an Historian!!!"

So, I finally got the junk box out again, and found a fairly scratchless "2" and twisted this new accessory onto the GB.  Never let it be said that Kim Allen Stricker doesn't respect the the efforts of those from our past, but if I lose many RPM's, it's getting the fat cylinder again!

My Testors Skyhawk...Chapter 1:  The Golden Bee gets De-Gooed 2_126

My Testors Skyhawk...Chapter 1:  The Golden Bee gets De-Gooed 1_135

I was too cranky to run it after mowing the yard, so it may get run tomorrow.

Also, on the Skyhawk front, I was able to gently remove it's receiver/battery pack from behind it's firewall.  Only had two tiny screws holding it in place...knowing the impact forces would all be FORWARD !

My Testors Skyhawk...Chapter 1:  The Golden Bee gets De-Gooed 20_117

My Testors Skyhawk...Chapter 1:  The Golden Bee gets De-Gooed 23_15

My Testors Skyhawk...Chapter 1:  The Golden Bee gets De-Gooed 2_610

And now, think I'll take my short barrel AR-15 (Eore), and rack a few rounds into the burn barrel...don't want them yuppies across the valley to get TOO comfortable !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Kim on Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:54 pm

ticomareado wrote:Mount a Tee Dee with some light R/C gear on the plane and you can probably cut those wings down to a more scale like span and widen them with strip ailerons.

Naw, that would destroy the whole reason for doing it in the first place. I'm going "retro" here. There IS an article in one of my mags (haven't found it yet) that does a "Full House" conversion on a Skyhawk, but I want to at least keep part of the illusion that 's original. It's original pulse (or similar) set may get put back in it if I can get it to be somewhat dependable.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ticomareado Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:28 pm

Well for what it's worth, the radio gear was made by ACE R/C and it is one hungry mama for battery juice to flap that rudder. That said, it was still good equipment back in the day. I never liked the set up (for the Testors version) with the receiver and the battery all packed together in the plastic box, as a battery leak could trash the whole thing. Good luck on the restoration make sure you don't have any nearby CB activity on test flight day.
ticomareado
ticomareado
Account Under Review

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:19 am

AH the nostalgia with the GB cyl. and that antikie receiver and Servo module , Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:03 pm

Great job on teh engine Kim. Now, I too have to ask about cleaning it up in the Crock Pot. Like Bob said, how did you do it without affecting the anodizing? Short time, low heat, in and out a few times? Or, even better, is it antifreeze, or another chemical that may not hurt teh anodizing?
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:24 pm

NEW222 wrote:Great job on teh engine Kim. Now, I too have to ask about cleaning it up in the Crock Pot. Like Bob said, how did you do it without affecting the anodizing? Short time, low heat, in and out a few times? Or, even better, is it antifreeze, or another chemical that may not hurt teh anodizing?

Um, I really don't know. I use 100% Prestone, with the crock pot on low (which still seems pretty hot), let it get hot and drop in the engine. I think the first session was a little over an hour and a half, but the tank was still stuck fast to the case, so it got a second dunking of about the same length, and was able to twist the case from the tank.

I wasn't aware of antifreeze attacking the anodizing, but am gonna keep that in mind in all future dunkings!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum