Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Out in the Shop..."Camera-Packing Poolboy"...well, not so much... - Page 3 Cox_ba12

Out in the Shop..."Camera-Packing Poolboy"...well, not so much... - Page 3 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Foam hand kids glider converted to 0.049 CL
by roddie Today at 4:33 am

» Cox PT-19 Wing
by latole Today at 4:28 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Today at 2:54 am

» Golden Bee basic running problem
by roddie Yesterday at 10:51 pm

» Simple Gliders
by rdw777 Yesterday at 6:25 pm

» Weird search for a single comic from an old Mad Magazine
by Kim Yesterday at 1:44 pm

» Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!.
by getback Yesterday at 7:27 am

» Cox .049 Tee Dee engines back in stock (limited availablility)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 1:05 am

» Very off-topic.........Time passes and not always for the best......
by rsv1cox Thu Jul 25, 2024 2:47 pm

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by rsv1cox Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:30 pm

» Throttles for Cox Tee Dee .049 / .020 / .010 engines --- videos
by sosam117 Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:54 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Admin Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:00 am

Cox Engine of The Month
July-2024
robot797's

"ULTIMITE COX 010: it has a clutch, E starter, throttle, exhaust, aluminum tank, aluminum venturi, gearbox with forward and reverse, and now its on a custom drawn and printed stand"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Out in the Shop..."Camera-Packing Poolboy"...well, not so much... - Page 3 Empty
Live on Patrol

Out in the Shop..."Camera-Packing Poolboy"...well, not so much...

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Out in the Shop..."Camera-Packing Poolboy"...well, not so much... - Page 3 Empty Re: Out in the Shop..."Camera-Packing Poolboy"...well, not so much...

Post  Kim Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:52 pm

Got a head-start on the heat of the day, and had the airconditioner running before the sun had a chance to hit the shop's sheet metal roof.

Troy's "4 Dollar Airplane" got a servo and pushrod installed.  I've decided (for the moment) to go single channel with the Skyhawk, and was able to make use of the original brackets that held it's pulse system.

Going single channel will make it a "pasture model" so the Skyhawk won't be using my frontyard runway, but I ought to be able to fly it off the asphalt at Cairo's small airport.

Out in the Shop..."Camera-Packing Poolboy"...well, not so much... - Page 3 3_125

Out in the Shop..."Camera-Packing Poolboy"...well, not so much... - Page 3 4_49

Out in the Shop..."Camera-Packing Poolboy"...well, not so much... - Page 3 5_40

Out in the Shop..."Camera-Packing Poolboy"...well, not so much... - Page 3 7_120

Out in the Shop..."Camera-Packing Poolboy"...well, not so much... - Page 3 8_211

Out in the Shop..."Camera-Packing Poolboy"...well, not so much... - Page 3 6_410

Out in the Shop..."Camera-Packing Poolboy"...well, not so much... - Page 3 8_116
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Out in the Shop..."Camera-Packing Poolboy"...well, not so much... - Page 3 Empty Re: Out in the Shop..."Camera-Packing Poolboy"...well, not so much...

Post  ticomareado Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:25 pm

The balsa pushrod will lighten load on servo and let you go with a very small battery pack. You might wind up 2 to 3 ozs. lighter than original overall weight by the time you test fly it. That would make quite a difference in performance. I'd also see about some lighter wheels.
ticomareado
ticomareado
Account Under Review

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:57 pm

Looking good. Lots of planes flew with wrapped balsa pushrods (including mine) -- it really compliments the plane. I'll confess that I've been using push-pull cable and carbon fiber tubing of late.

If you haven't already, don't forget to replace the servo horn screw.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:07 pm

andrew wrote:Looking good.  Lots of planes flew with wrapped balsa pushrods (including mine) -- it really compliments the plane.  I'll confess that I've been using push-pull cable and carbon fiber tubing of late.

If you haven't already, don't forget to replace the servo horn screw.

THANKS on the servo arm screw!!! I still need to do some rummaging around in the fuse, and will lock it down before the first flight!

On the balsa pushrods...AHC used to sell shaped "pushrod ends"---a square plastic cap that tapered to a point, and slid onto the end of the balsa square stock. I think there was a wire protruding from the pointed end that went to the servo and control horn. You glued or pinned them to the square stock, saving the wrapping with thread.

As a kid, these things puzzled the daylights out of me as I carefully perused every single item AHC sold. Finally figured it out, loooong after everyone had gone to Sullivan Golden Rods or Nyrods....
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:26 pm

More blabbing from my Facebook Page:
-------------------------------------------------------------
The prep for the 30th S.M.A.L.L. Fly-In Secret Project #6 continues:

-Engine Testing-

In "Ye Olden Days", we rarely, if ever, test ran our engines on a stand before bolting them to a plane and heading out to fly. At most, a new project MIGHT get run for a short time in the backyard, but fuel seemed incredibly expensive (as are a lot of things when you're 14), and it seemed like a waste of resources to run an engine without also having it drag a plane behind it.

Sometimes, we were blessed with good runs right from the start, but more often, precious good Mojo and beautiful days for flying wasted away as we tried to troubleshoot delicate, persnickety engines while kneeling in the dirt of a ball diamond infield.

Castor Slingers can STILL get hateful for no immediately identifiable reason, but the odds of launching a screaming little beast into the ether are greatly increased with a little prework...not to mention the giant leap in comfort of working out problems on a waist-high test stand.

So, the two Cox .020's were bolted to their stands (after a serious cleaning and new gaskets all around), and fired up before the heat of the day had a chance to set in.

For this project, dependable runs are more important than high RPM's...I need them to start easy and use all their fuel. As noted in the photos, #1 ran good right from the start, while #2 was cranky, refusing to settle into a good run. After noticing bubbles coming from under it's glowhead, I found that I'd crimped the new copper head gasket while installing it the night before. GOT to remember to use my reading glasses when messing with these things!

The uncrimped headgasket gave the little engine a new attitude, and it happily emptied it's fuel tank with a steady run. Now, they're both oiled and stored to wait for their assignment!

Out in the Shop..."Camera-Packing Poolboy"...well, not so much... - Page 3 1_138

Out in the Shop..."Camera-Packing Poolboy"...well, not so much... - Page 3 2_130
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ticomareado Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:54 pm

There's a theory (or WAG) that, all other things being equal, reeds "check" better on smooth machined aluminum surfaces than on plastic ones. Maybe you could test that with an aluminum tanked Pee Wee vs. the plastic back plate version.
ticomareado
ticomareado
Account Under Review

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:46 pm

The good old chopper engines ** with little run time on them)) Good to hear they are tuning together now / . Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:31 pm

ticomareado wrote:There's a theory (or WAG) that, all other things being equal, reeds "check" better on smooth machined aluminum surfaces than on plastic ones. Maybe you could test that with an aluminum tanked Pee Wee vs. the plastic back plate version.

Well, these are running great right now, so they're definitely going on the Skylark. I've had good and bad experiences with tanked .020's (the one in my Mini Stunt runs great), but want the option of some extended flight time with this project. I've using the clear mylar reeds, so it's plastic-on-plastic with these guys.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:33 pm

getback wrote:The good old chopper engines ** with little run time on them))  Good to hear they are tuning together now / . Very Happy

Thanks Eric!!

Yeah,
Now, all I need is to get the kit here and build it!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ticomareado Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:38 pm

"I've using the clear mylar reeds, so it's plastic-on-plastic with these guys."

10-4 ---Two running a steady 17 to 18K on sport fuel ought to be plenty for the Skylark. Next project ? Three on a semi-scale JU-52 ?
ticomareado
ticomareado
Account Under Review

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:27 pm

ticomareado wrote:"I've using the clear mylar reeds, so it's plastic-on-plastic with these guys."  

10-4 ---Two running a steady 17 to 18K on sport fuel ought to be plenty for the Skylark.  Next project ?  Three on a semi-scale JU-52 ?

THAT...would be COOL !!!!!!!!!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:44 pm

My Ken Willard "Pool Boy" has been flying a LOOONG time, especially for an airplane sized small enough that it could be lost in a van (yes, it happened).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF7cU_1HLZ0

It is the second one I built...the first was built during a time when swing-shifts at the Diaper Factory was kicking my butt, and was possibly the most crooked, backwards model I ever built.  It was given a quiet Viking Funeral and forgotten.

I bought a Cannon Micro System specifically for Pool Boy II, and flew it for many years, 'til the radio was moved to another project.

Pool Boy II was resurrected a few years ago, and flown a couple times at S.M.A.L.L., but the rebuild added weight to the little plane.  Even with the Tee Dee .010 screaming with all it's might, the biplane dragged through the air, just above stalling.

So, with an extra Skycopter engine mount laying around, I decided to give Pool Boy II an upgrade to an .020.  I should have plenty of power now, with enough fuel to do some REAL patrolling...

Out in the Shop..."Camera-Packing Poolboy"...well, not so much... - Page 3 1_71

Last edited by Kim on Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:12 am

That looks like fun Kim, hopefully the extra power does what you want it to. Can those things fly off of water?
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:49 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:That looks like fun Kim, hopefully the extra power does what you want it to. Can those things fly off of water?

Yeah, the original article (can't find it at the moment) had photos of it flying off a swimming pool. I've threatened to build another, with the intent of flying it off water, but it's down the list a ways...
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:43 pm

The original article was in one of your posts seven years ago --- can't believe you didn't have exact date stored away in memory.  Wink

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t2362-ken-willard-s-010-020-pool-boy
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:45 pm

[quote="andrew"]The original article was in one of your posts seven years ago --- can't believe you didn't have exact date stored away in memory.  Wink

Shoot---sometimes, I can't remember where I parked the lawn mower...and there's only two places where it can be!

Thanks for retrieving that !!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Diedrichs Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:45 pm

FLY BUOY!!!!!!
Mark Diedrichs
Mark Diedrichs
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:06 am

Yes it looked like the .010 TD was doing all it could to keep here in the air , the .020 TD should wake it up a bit . There is a lot of designs by Mr Willard at the outerzone https://outerzone.co.uk/search/results.asp?keyword=Willard Very Happy Very Happy RC Plane
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:28 pm

And, yet again, more blabbing:
----------------------------------------------------------
"Parts is Parts"

The Jr. Skylark kit arrived this afternoon. Lazer cut by Fast Eddie at Lazer Works, the parts literally fall from their balsa stock sheets.

I spent a relaxing evening sanding the edges of the model's ribs and formers, having it a lot easier than my model airplane forebearers who had to deal with parts that were often crushed rather than cut by the model company's dies. Gonna start gluing stuff together tomorrow.

The model is about the same size as "Little Traveler", with a span of 37 inches, and will be twin-engined, flying with the two Cox .020's I was testing last week.

Hope it can handle all that Raw Power!!!

Out in the Shop..."Camera-Packing Poolboy"...well, not so much... - Page 3 1_fs10

Out in the Shop..."Camera-Packing Poolboy"...well, not so much... - Page 3 Dsc_0022

Out in the Shop..."Camera-Packing Poolboy"...well, not so much... - Page 3 Dsc_0024

Out in the Shop..."Camera-Packing Poolboy"...well, not so much... - Page 3 Dsc_0023

Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:44 am

For those too young to know what a Jr. Skylark looks like, here are a couple of pics of the little beauty that Kim has in store for us.  Carl Goldberg was a prolific designer and many of his planes were seen at fields across the country in the 70's, 80's and 90's.  The only thing in some of his designs that I never cared for was the spar placement in the middle of the wing and stabilizer ribs.

Out in the Shop..."Camera-Packing Poolboy"...well, not so much... - Page 3 Jr_sky10

This is a file photo and not my model.

Out in the Shop..."Camera-Packing Poolboy"...well, not so much... - Page 3 Jr_sky11
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ticomareado Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:02 am

Two Tee Dee .020s with modern light radio gear will put a Skylark in border line overpowered territory.
ticomareado
ticomareado
Account Under Review

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:25 am

[quote="andrew"]For those too young to know what a Jr. Skylark looks like, here are a couple of pics of the little beauty that Kim has in store for us.  Carl Goldberg was a prolific designer and many of his planes were seen at fields across the country in the 70's, 80's and 90's.  The only thing in some of his designs that I never cared for was the spar placement in the middle of the wing and stabilizer ribs. =quote]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Andrew!!!!

Looking through my old magazines from the 1950's on into the 70's, it seemed like Goldberg and others cranked out "a design a minute".  The Skylarks stood out for their twin-engine option, but I always thought the "Falcon" series of models were particularly beautiful.  Watching Tony's Jr. Falcon this past summer, with it's box art color scheme, was a great flash-back treat.  Many, like my Don McGovern "Navigator", seemed (to me) to be incredibly intricate.

Navigator was my first R/C plane with proportional radio gear (an EK Lgitrol "Champion"), and was followed by a Goldberg "Shoestring", which was larger, but simpler to build.  It had solid tailfeathers, but built-up ailerons.

In my world, this was akin to going from a go-kart to a Ferrari, and the plane was often being repaired from my brain-lapses.  It survived to be destroyed by a friend I'd lent it to.

Out in the Shop..."Camera-Packing Poolboy"...well, not so much... - Page 3 0_19

Out in the Shop..."Camera-Packing Poolboy"...well, not so much... - Page 3 1_72

Out in the Shop..."Camera-Packing Poolboy"...well, not so much... - Page 3 6_31

Out in the Shop..."Camera-Packing Poolboy"...well, not so much... - Page 3 9_20

Drawing the fuel out of Shoestring after one of it's cart rolls.  It was this incident that got me to pinning control surface hinges rather than relying on some smeared-on epoxy to hold them in place!

Out in the Shop..."Camera-Packing Poolboy"...well, not so much... - Page 3 Shoest10
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ticomareado Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:51 am

Fascinating CG ad from 1966 model magazine. According to CPI inflation calculator $1.00 in 1966 is $7.91 in 2019. Take all those prices in ad and do the math !!
ticomareado
ticomareado
Account Under Review

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:10 am

ticomareado wrote:Two Tee Dee .020s with modern light radio gear will put a Skylark in border line overpowered territory.

This one won't have Tee Dee's on it. It'll get those two Pee Wee types on Skycopter backplates I was running last week.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:16 am

ticomareado wrote:Fascinating CG ad from 1966 model magazine.  According to CPI inflation calculator $1.00 in 1966 is $7.91 in 2019.  Take all those prices in ad and do the math !!

Yeah, that's an important factor anytime we fondly remember the good ole days. The prices looked impossible, and THEN the radio gear....woof!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next