Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Relative performance of "stock" Cox .049 reedies Cox_ba12

Relative performance of "stock" Cox .049 reedies Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Irvine Mills .75 replica
by ffkiwi Today at 4:43 am

» COX .020 RC PROJECT
by 1/2A Nut Today at 4:32 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (October 2024)
by Admin Today at 1:33 am

» Happy Birthday Robert ( Rsv1cox )
by balogh Today at 1:06 am

» Carburetor Sprinkler Rod Peak Tee Dee .049 / .051
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:02 pm

» OS MAX-D
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:38 pm

» The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare.
by getback Yesterday at 3:22 pm

» Cox .020 PeeWee/TeeDee prop-screw
by getback Yesterday at 7:55 am

» Wanted peewee 20 fuel tank
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 2:05 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Fri Oct 04, 2024 7:40 pm

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -October 2024-
by Admin Fri Oct 04, 2024 7:33 pm

» Off topic - Tonka dump truck restoration. 10:27
by rsv1cox Fri Oct 04, 2024 6:32 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
September-2024
F4D Phantom II's

"Surestart .049 geared opposed twin"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Relative performance of "stock" Cox .049 reedies Empty
Live on Patrol

Relative performance of "stock" Cox .049 reedies

Go down

Relative performance of "stock" Cox .049 reedies Empty Relative performance of "stock" Cox .049 reedies

Post  Jim Howell Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:10 am

I am trying to find out about the relative performance of the many different named Cox .049 reedies.  I've searched this thread using "performance" as my search parameter.  I get a significant number of interesting threads about improving the performance of specific models, but am having difficulties trying to find relative comparisons of stock engines.  I would appreciate it if someone could point me to a place where this type of info might be available.  TIA.

Context for my question is that over the years, I have acquired a variety of different "named" versions.  Why, I haven't a clue other than nostalgia.  Some are 50+ year old engines - mostly gummed up - from my youth, some from friends getting out of the hobby, some from eBay, and some from current suppliers.  However, I'm getting slowly sucked back into small 1/2A C/L models from Black Hawk hollow logs, to Goldberg re-dos, to more modern designs.  While I could bypass my Cox hoard, I'd rather try to find some usage for my nostalgia hoard.  I have the following versions that I have listed in my perceived order of performance from lowest to highest:

Baby Bee
Golden Bee
Black Widow
Product Engine
Killer Bee
Venom

and something from CIE called a "Stinger" that I have no clue as to it's performance.  (I bought it 'cause the case had been anodized (?) to an orange color.    Smile )

Any insights, objective or subjective would be appreciated.

TIA,
Jim Howell
Jim Howell
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Relative performance of "stock" Cox .049 reedies Empty Re: Relative performance of "stock" Cox .049 reedies

Post  Surfer_kris Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:25 pm

The best collected Cox engine knowledge and history is found here: Martin Hepperle

Here is an example of what you might be after:

Relative performance of "stock" Cox .049 reedies Cox_performance_2
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Relative performance of "stock" Cox .049 reedies Empty Re: Relative performance of "stock" Cox .049 reedies

Post  Jim Howell Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:13 pm

[quote="Surfer_kris"]The best collected Cox engine knowledge and history is found here: Martin Hepperle

Thanks for the vector to Hepperle's site.  I did not know about that site.  I found a wealth of information there.  Thank you!
Jim Howell
Jim Howell
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:37 pm

It mentions the other sizes as well. There is nothing on the product, Killer Bee or Venom variants.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Howell Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:59 pm

aspeed wrote:It mentions the other sizes as well. There is nothing on the product, Killer Bee or Venom variants.
Yes, I spent some time looking at the descriptions of a variety of Cox products. Yes, I noticed that nothing showed up on these variants. Sad Plus, I noticed that there was some discussion about the later Killer Bees being a step back from the earlier versions. Don't know which version I've got. Got to do some more investigation.

Thanks
Jim Howell
Jim Howell
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:30 pm

lok plz on back plate of ree dee as y did same test need referance stock model back plate as y found special part in ventury of cars ree dee from pinto wit fan flyweel get  12k to16 bump to17 len on side ? with golden bee cylinder on cars smal reed tank back plate on and plane crank case 6x3 winsor prop wil test wit stock plate as soon posible with strange back plate get 22 to 23 000 rpm wit diferent cylinder it has no spi two port 1 boost eatch exaust wit fin in exaust slit is a reed engine is capable of sutch result ? stock tee dee dont get close to 23 consistent run on bench wit 6x3 winsor nylon prop my run hole tank at 22k rpm bump to23 on side let oil escape and get higher rev stay 22 23 consistent hole tank 1 minute

Last edited by davidll1984 on Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  F4D Phantom II Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:37 pm

Hello Jim
                       In here you will find almost all the Cox engines test by Peter Chinn and others of stock engines the place is sceptre flight other engine test can be found nitro and diesel.
                                                                                                             Juan

http://sceptreflight.com/Model%20Engine%20Tests/Index.html
F4D Phantom II
F4D Phantom II
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:40 pm

no result on golden bee 2 black widow 2 is two vertion of engine for them kiler bee 1 vertion is said bether but 2 of gold and widow is bether?
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:18 pm

All the crankcases are the same.  The biggest difference is the cylinders.  The single bypass cylinders are slower.  That would be the Babe Bee and Golden Bee, and I believe the Surestarts.  The twinport ones are faster with the squared off bypass ports better yet.  Some of the reedies have a different intake hole in the tank which can improve performance a bit too.  Maybe the BW Killers and Venoms are this.  Of course variations like high compression heads, piston fit/tapers, SPI and mufflers change results. Myself, I would never use the low compression heads, but if I can't find a twin port or TD cylinder, the single one is OK.  Many on this forum are more enlightened than me, but that is what I have found over 50 years.  The newer ones I have no idea as I got away from them in the 1990s pretty much.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Howell Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:28 am

F4D Phantom II wrote:Hello Jim
                       In here you will find almost all the Cox engines test by Peter Chinn and others of stock engines the place is sceptre flight other engine test can be found nitro and diesel.
                                                                                                             Juan

http://sceptreflight.com/Model%20Engine%20Tests/Index.html
Juan,
Got it, thank you for the link! Some great info here that I was not aware of.
Jim
Jim Howell
Jim Howell
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:03 am

I have seen this chart several times

OK Virginia...tell the class why it is bogus and NOT Apples to Apples
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  63expert Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:56 pm

fredvon4 wrote:I have seen this chart several times

OK Virginia...tell the class why it is bogus and NOT Apples to Apples

Pretty much this.

Scientific method is a real thing.
63expert
63expert
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down