Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

Relative performance of "stock" Cox .049 reedies Babe_b10

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Cox Engine of The Month
September-2019
Levent Suberk's

CEF Magazine cover featuring the Ex Model Engines Harpy Eagle .049

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
Gallery

Relative performance of "stock" Cox .049 reedies Empty
World of Aviation

Relative performance of "stock" Cox .049 reedies

Go down

Relative performance of "stock" Cox .049 reedies Empty Relative performance of "stock" Cox .049 reedies

Post  Jim Howell on Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:10 am

I am trying to find out about the relative performance of the many different named Cox .049 reedies.  I've searched this thread using "performance" as my search parameter.  I get a significant number of interesting threads about improving the performance of specific models, but am having difficulties trying to find relative comparisons of stock engines.  I would appreciate it if someone could point me to a place where this type of info might be available.  TIA.

Context for my question is that over the years, I have acquired a variety of different "named" versions.  Why, I haven't a clue other than nostalgia.  Some are 50+ year old engines - mostly gummed up - from my youth, some from friends getting out of the hobby, some from eBay, and some from current suppliers.  However, I'm getting slowly sucked back into small 1/2A C/L models from Black Hawk hollow logs, to Goldberg re-dos, to more modern designs.  While I could bypass my Cox hoard, I'd rather try to find some usage for my nostalgia hoard.  I have the following versions that I have listed in my perceived order of performance from lowest to highest:

Baby Bee
Golden Bee
Black Widow
Product Engine
Killer Bee
Venom

and something from CIE called a "Stinger" that I have no clue as to it's performance.  (I bought it 'cause the case had been anodized (?) to an orange color.    Smile )

Any insights, objective or subjective would be appreciated.

TIA,
Jim Howell
Jim Howell
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Relative performance of "stock" Cox .049 reedies Empty Re: Relative performance of "stock" Cox .049 reedies

Post  Surfer_kris on Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:25 pm

The best collected Cox engine knowledge and history is found here: Martin Hepperle

Here is an example of what you might be after:

Relative performance of "stock" Cox .049 reedies Cox_performance_2
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Relative performance of "stock" Cox .049 reedies Empty Re: Relative performance of "stock" Cox .049 reedies

Post  Jim Howell on Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:13 pm

[quote="Surfer_kris"]The best collected Cox engine knowledge and history is found here: Martin Hepperle

Thanks for the vector to Hepperle's site.  I did not know about that site.  I found a wealth of information there.  Thank you!
Jim Howell
Jim Howell
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed on Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:37 pm

It mentions the other sizes as well. There is nothing on the product, Killer Bee or Venom variants.
aspeed
aspeed
Gold Member
Gold Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Howell on Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:59 pm

aspeed wrote:It mentions the other sizes as well. There is nothing on the product, Killer Bee or Venom variants.
Yes, I spent some time looking at the descriptions of a variety of Cox products. Yes, I noticed that nothing showed up on these variants. Sad Plus, I noticed that there was some discussion about the later Killer Bees being a step back from the earlier versions. Don't know which version I've got. Got to do some more investigation.

Thanks
Jim Howell
Jim Howell
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down