Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Cylinder Timing Cox_ba12

Cylinder Timing Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» music vids.. some of your favorites
by Oldenginerod Today at 1:59 am

» Draco Goes Flying, But Misses the Eclipse
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 9:59 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Enya .09 II Questions
by Surfer_kris Yesterday at 2:45 pm

» Wen Mac .049 - Conditioning.
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:21 pm

» Happy 53rd birthday Mauricio!!!
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 11:22 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 10:57 am

» UV Restore of Yellowed Decals
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 8:59 am

» 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive
by roddie Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Post edit??
by roddie Yesterday at 5:33 am

» Original Super Power fuel formula?
by HalfaDave Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:28 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Cylinder Timing Empty
Live on Patrol

Cylinder Timing

Go down

Cylinder Timing Empty Cylinder Timing

Post  Iceberg Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:52 pm

I have talked with a few of the gurus with cylinder timing. I have heard that ports at about 45 degrees are optimum. However timing shims are hard to come by these days.

One of the gurus said to me. The little lip on top of the crankcase can be sanded down to allow the cylinder to be screwed into the crank another quarter turn to achieve the 45 degree port aligning.

However this would result in the piston to deck height being a bit higher. How to rectify this? Add another copper shim or two to get the piston. Does anyone have knowledge of this timing performance improvement and would it be worth it to sand the crank and screw the piston a quarter turn further into the block? If so on all cylinders? Or #1 #4 etc?

Just trying to get all the facts before doing anything too gutsy:) Huh... Huh... Smile

Thanks
Iceberg
Iceberg
Iceberg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Cylinder Timing Empty Re: Cylinder Timing

Post  pkrankow Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:42 pm

The threads land where they land. This means the exhaust ports are where they are. No, do not try to alter a case to change exhaust port location. When you shim it back the ports will be in the same place!

Yes alter a case so you can change piston port height by shimming to optimum locations... but only if necessary.

Mix and match several engines to get the exhaust port locations. In most situations it is cosmetic because these engines are not put on a plane that needs said performance.

There are blank cylinders to cut ports into for a specific case... but these are rare.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:22 am

Most mods to the port height would be shimmed up. Removing material from the case should be machined accurately to keep/make the cylinder square IMHO. Not sayin that I have not sanded any. If shimmed up, then there is a compression loss. This can be remedied by taking the same amount from the step of the cylinder where the plug seals. Lathe and boring bar. There may be some shims available somewhere. Maybe an .074 shim or from some other motor if there are none made specifically.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:40 am

between Paul Gibeault's excellent mouse race motor set up and very good info in your own thread , I would think you have all the physical and engineering info to be had

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t14169-cylinder-performance-figures
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:09 pm

aspeed wrote:Most mods to the port height would be shimmed up.  Removing material from the case should be machined accurately to keep/make the cylinder square IMHO.  Not sayin that I have not sanded any. If shimmed up, then there is a compression loss.  This can be remedied by taking the same amount from the step of the cylinder where the plug seals.  Lathe and boring bar.  There may be some shims available somewhere.  Maybe an .074 shim or from some other motor if there are none made specifically.

I wrote a nice article (instructions) on how to make your own shims. You can use either brass or aluminum sheets to make the shims out of? Even had people ask "IF" I would make a few for them?
You can shim the cylinder up to have the exhaust ports at 45° angle from either front to back or side to side?
I have some where the exhaust ports are front to back, side to side, and 45° (1/2 way in between) that.

Here is the link:
https://www.coxengineforum.com/t13945-shimming-cox-cylinder-for-transfer-and-exhaust-timing#180685

sosam117
Mike McIntyre
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Iceberg Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:11 pm

Hi HappyDad

Thanks very much for helping to locate and send the timing shims. Very much appreciated!! I will test over the next week or so. the three thicknesses .02 .03 & .06 I guess no idea which are the closest to perfect to get the 45degree timing as mentioned being optimal by some of the "know"?

Thanks again and talk soon
Iceberg
Iceberg
Iceberg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: