Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

hole thru Tee Dee .020 Venturi nipple area and thru right side of TD crankcase Cox_ba12

hole thru Tee Dee .020 Venturi nipple area and thru right side of TD crankcase Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» "Me and Crazy Horse...Our Anniversary"
by Kim Today at 3:23 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by balogh Today at 12:55 am

» Original Box for P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer Value
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 11:09 pm

» Cox P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» thread measurements
by MauricioB Yesterday at 5:33 pm

» Cox Thompson Trophy Winner
by Jerry Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» COX 010 TeeDee with RC carb, courtesy sosam 117
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:08 pm

» a cheap sport muffler
by robot797 Yesterday at 1:34 pm

» OS 10FSR Carb Needed
by Cougar 429 Yesterday at 1:14 pm

» AP .061 Hornet
by F4D Phantom II Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:01 pm

» dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others
by rsv1cox Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:46 pm

» Re-manufactured Enya .06-II for Boats13
by Boats13 Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:32 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

hole thru Tee Dee .020 Venturi nipple area and thru right side of TD crankcase Empty
Live on Patrol

hole thru Tee Dee .020 Venturi nipple area and thru right side of TD crankcase

Go down

hole thru Tee Dee .020 Venturi nipple area and thru right side of TD crankcase Empty hole thru Tee Dee .020 Venturi nipple area and thru right side of TD crankcase

Post  happydad Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:12 pm

Does anyone know why there is a hole thru the Cox Tee Dee .020 Venturi nipple area and the right side of the crankcase? also the inside of the bottom of the shaft area is silver colored??

I was cleaning a new Tee Dee .020 tonight and noticed something different.

I am thinking this is a pressure feed from the muffler. Anyone?

hole thru Tee Dee .020 Venturi nipple area and thru right side of TD crankcase Img_0710
TD .020 right side, sorry about inverted picture

hole thru Tee Dee .020 Venturi nipple area and thru right side of TD crankcase Img_0711
Inside of TD .020 crankcase, see silver colored area

happydad RC Plane    United States     Old Bugger
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

hole thru Tee Dee .020 Venturi nipple area and thru right side of TD crankcase Empty Re: hole thru Tee Dee .020 Venturi nipple area and thru right side of TD crankcase

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:53 pm

It was drilled for crankcase pressure. It’s needs to be filled for it to run properly, unless you use it to pressurize a fuel tank.

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

hole thru Tee Dee .020 Venturi nipple area and thru right side of TD crankcase Empty Re: hole thru Tee Dee .020 Venturi nipple area and thru right side of TD crankcase

Post  happydad Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:26 am

Cribbs74 wrote:It was drilled for crankcase pressure. It’s needs to be filled for it to run properly, unless you use it to pressurize a fuel tank.

What can I use to fill the hole in the crankcase?
   The original owner says he remembers racing with a quickie 200 with a Cox .049, doesn’t remember racing with a TD ..020.
I was thinking of reselling it and offering an additional new Venturi.
   I replaced the Venturi, do you think it will run o.k. or will the pressure leak thru the hole and around the Venturi?

Thanks for the hints.   Happydad RC Plane   United States  Old Bugger
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Daligh Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:37 am

dad.

I have an idea that it is there to ensure that at the very high RPM of a Tee Dee the crankcase is at atmospheric pressure to enable better filling during induction.

By the time that the cut out in the crank starts to open that small hole the piston will be at BDC.
Now. The fuel air mixture is quite dense and getting it all to travel through the transfer ports will take a finite length of time and at very high revs there may not be enough time to transfer all of the fuel leaving some pressurised fuel under the piston.

That little hole will mean that the system is at atmospheric pressure ready for induction.

It's just a guess and I am probably wrong!?
Cribbs, who has a younger a thus wiser brain than I, is probably 100% correct!
Dave.
Daligh
Daligh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:54 am

The hole must be filled for it to run properly. Even with pressure, it becomes so problematic it's not worth using. It really requires the use of a one way valve like Fourmost used to produce. I've purchased 1/16" aluminum dowel rod and re drilled the hole. I use JB weld as adhesive. Drill the hole with a #53 bit for a interference fit and it need be you can file a slight taper on the dowel rod.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:48 am

happydad wrote:
   I replaced the Venturi, do you think it will run o.k. or will the pressure leak thru the hole and around the Venturi?

Do you mean carburetor body?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cox-020-Tee-Dee-Airplane-Engine-Carburetor-Carb-Body-020-/282104214204?hash=item41aeb8b2bc

hole thru Tee Dee .020 Venturi nipple area and thru right side of TD crankcase S-l16012
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:09 am

I think that a little RTV silicone around the crankcase fills the hole, then a new carb body do the work.
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:49 am

Here is a snapshot of the TD .010/.020 instruction sheet found in this forum. It explains what is going on with your engine. I have only filled a couple holes and I used JB weld and it has held for a long time.

hole thru Tee Dee .020 Venturi nipple area and thru right side of TD crankcase 777af710
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

hole thru Tee Dee .020 Venturi nipple area and thru right side of TD crankcase Empty It’s so beautiful, gold and silver

Post  happydad Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:08 am

Cribbs74 wrote:Here is a snapshot of the TD .010/.020 instruction sheet found in this forum. It explains what is going on with your engine. I have only filled a couple holes and I used JB weld and it has held for a long time.

hole thru Tee Dee .020 Venturi nipple area and thru right side of TD crankcase 777af710

It is so beautiful. The gold and silver, maybe nickel coating, that I hate to change anything. Thanks Ron.

Happydad. RC Plane    United States     Old Bugger
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

hole thru Tee Dee .020 Venturi nipple area and thru right side of TD crankcase Empty The engine

Post  happydad Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:18 am

Levent Suberk wrote:
happydad wrote:

Do you mean carburetor body?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cox-020-Tee-Dee-Airplane-Engine-Carburetor-Carb-Body-020-/282104214204?hash=item41aeb8b2bc

hole thru Tee Dee .020 Venturi nipple area and thru right side of TD crankcase S-l16012

No the entire engine. I buy, refurbish, resell. I always completely disassemble the engine, clean with fuel and old tooth brush, replace old gaskets, tubing, Venturi with hole in nipple then run the engine.
I haven’t had a chance to run yet. Just got the engine yesterday.
   Also got 4 brand new in package .020 engine wrench’s late last night. Email said they were delivered, but I didn’t get them with the engine at 1:30 pM. So I went out late last night and there they were.

More later. Gotta go.  Happydad  RC Plane     United States   Old Bugger RC Plane
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:41 pm

You may get lucky without filling the hole and hoping the carb body seals well enough. The hole being there changes the crankcase pressure and volume. I have seen first hand some engines with that hole not even start until it was filled back in and some run just fine with the hole open. Personally I would fill the hole. It only takes a tiny amount of JB to do it and is completely hidden once you put the carb body back on. Might as well mess with it once and be done with it. It will save you from having to pull it apart again if it doesn’t work.

BTW all the gold/silver you see is just dye and anodizing. The aluminum is just clean and bright before it was anodized.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

hole thru Tee Dee .020 Venturi nipple area and thru right side of TD crankcase Empty Well, another one...

Post  happydad Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:48 am

Cribbs74 wrote:You may get lucky without filling the hole and hoping the carb body seals well enough. The hole being there changes the crankcase pressure and volume. I have seen first hand some engines with that hole not even start until it was filled back in and some run just fine with the hole open. Personally I would fill the hole. It only takes a tiny amount of JB to do it and is completely hidden once you put the carb body back on. Might as well mess with it once and be done with it. It will save you from having to pull it apart again if it doesn’t work.

BTW all the gold/silver you see is just dye and anodizing. The aluminum is just clean and bright before it was anodized.

Cribbs74: you may not believe this, but another Tee Dee .020 with the tinned, anodized, whatever, silvered looking crankshaft area inside Tee Dee .020 crankcase AND the Venturi base, red thing, totally melted.

Pictures tomorrow.

>>>>edited on 9-22-2020 at 6:15p.m. PST.  
Cox TD.020 #3
hole thru Tee Dee .020 Venturi nipple area and thru right side of TD crankcase Img_2214
Sold as Lightly used? Venturi broken burned.

Tee Dee #4
hole thru Tee Dee .020 Venturi nipple area and thru right side of TD crankcase Img_2213
Another broken Venturi.

Tee Dee #4
hole thru Tee Dee .020 Venturi nipple area and thru right side of TD crankcase Img_2215
What is the "Silver Lining" for?

>>>>edit complete

Happydad RC PlaneBiplane Jeep                 Old Bugger United States

Last edited by happydad on Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : to add pictures)
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down