Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Engine stops after about 40 to 50 sec Cox_ba12

Engine stops after about 40 to 50 sec Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 9:18 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by 706jim Today at 6:44 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:56 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Engine stops after about 40 to 50 sec Empty
Live on Patrol

Engine stops after about 40 to 50 sec

Go down

Engine stops after about 40 to 50 sec Empty Engine stops after about 40 to 50 sec

Post  Gordinir8 Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:51 pm

So I got this one in my q tee today to see how it goes, don't know the name of this engine but it had a single port cylinder. Anyway after about 40 to 50 second's of operation engine stops. I use original and aftermarket plug and about 15% nitro fuel. Same fuel operates fine with my baby bee. Also noticed that tunes with needle at less than one turn. Needle is new is that ok?Engine stops after about 40 to 50 sec Img_2024
Gordinir8
Gordinir8
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Engine stops after about 40 to 50 sec Empty Re: Engine stops after about 40 to 50 sec

Post  Gordinir8 Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:55 pm

Also how about those aftermarket plug heads? I think they have less compression and I used only one gasket seal, what do you think?
Gordinir8
Gordinir8
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Engine stops after about 40 to 50 sec Empty Re: Engine stops after about 40 to 50 sec

Post  coxaddict Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:11 pm

Hi, does the engine run with the needle valve closed? How much fuel is left in the tank after it quits? Try using a syringe to pull remaining fuel out to measure. You can also use a syringe to pressurize the tank to find leaks. Close the needle valve and see if it holds pressure. If fuel leaks out the intake it could be the tank o-ring or a bad needle seat. If all else fails try swapping parts from a good running engine to see if it makes a difference.
Aloha
coxaddict
coxaddict
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Gordinir8 Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:21 pm

Tank o ring is new, With needle valve fully closed it is not running although needle does not seal 100% when closes but i ques this is problem only if you need 100% closed needle. As for the remaining fuel i think i checked it and it has some fuel left but i will double check to be sure. I pressurized tank as you said and it leaks from intake but i am pretty sure it has to do with bad needle seat.
Gordinir8
Gordinir8
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Gordinir8 Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:31 pm

On a second check i noticed that it leaks fuel from the four bulkhead screws.
Gordinir8
Gordinir8
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:08 pm

One thing I do on almost all of my engines is to cut a short piece of fuel line tubing and slip it over the needle valve and spring.
It does 2 things, it reduces the chances of leakage and the other is it holds the needle valve settings better (from vibration).

Now for the back plate screws leaking.
I notice that you have a metal back plate. If the screws have been over tightened any times on the metal back plate.
The holes for the screws become oversized.
If you want to still use that metal backplate, you can cut (from surgical tubing) small "O" rings tat fit very snugly around the screws.
Or you can look on line for very small "O" rings that will work as well.
In a pinch, I have used the Cox Tee Dee needle valve gaskets to do the job as well.

My best suggestion is, if the screws are leaking, just get a new back plate. That also would take care of the needle valve problem as well?

Last edited by sosam117 on Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:23 pm

Another thing I use for my backplate screws is to use a small bit of cotton from a Q-Tip wrapped around just below teh head of the screw before tightning it up. That also helps seal them.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:20 pm

Dental floss is another Method to seal the screws.

If you have a syringe you can pressurize the tank with air and listen and feel for leaks. Tank to backplate, tank to crankcase, venturi and backplate screws are all common air leak places.

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Engine stops after about 40 to 50 sec Empty Sometime...

Post  happydad Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:52 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:Dental floss is another Method to seal the screws.

If you have a syringe you can pressurize the tank with air and listen and feel for leaks. Tank to backplate, tank to crankcase, venturi and backplate screws are all common air leak places.

Sometime, not very often, but sometimes the screws seem too long and bottom out in the crankcase. Sometimes the crankcase is not properly tapped to the correct depth. IF you have the correct type and size tap, you can retap the hole in the crankcase an additional 0.1inch or so. This is a rare case, but I have seen it happen, and heard of it happening to others here on the FORUM.

OR you have screws that ARE TOO LONG and bottom out in the crankcase. This can happen when you purchase screws on your own from outside sources.

I have done this and wondered why the screws bottom out. Then I checked on the Cox websites for the proper length and WHOOPs , I had ordered the screws too long.

happydad RC Plane Jeep              Old Bugger United States
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Gordinir8 Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:33 am

I made 4 seals out of silicon tubing. Leak stopped, only a tiny leak between tank and backplate but only under pressure. I will test it and let you know. Maybe engine stops because she was out of fuel. Sullivan bulb tank is ideal to pressurise the tankEngine stops after about 40 to 50 sec Img_2025
Gordinir8
Gordinir8
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Gordinir8 Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:57 pm

To keep this post updated I checked engine fuel and still has fuel in it after engine stop so it is not from fuel, I switched backplates with another engine and seems that problem is gone. The other engine with the "defective" backplate also run with no problems!! I will have to run it again to be sure but neighbours can only take 3-4 minutes of engine run at a time. Huh...
Gordinir8
Gordinir8
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Iceberg Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:53 pm

Double check that the backplate isn't bulged rendering the O-ring with a poor seal. This happened with one motor I had. I put it in a vice and very softly tapped it straight again and have made 30-40 runs without a hitch after that. Before I straightened the backplate it leaked terribly and sputtered and ended early all the time. I don't know who had almost ruined it but I made it come to life again! Smile Smile
Take a look.
Thanks
Ice
Iceberg
Iceberg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Gordinir8 Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:58 am

It is a little because of over tightening but that cause the seal inside to touch first and lives a gap between bulkhead and tank edge. But i don't want to hit it and brake it, i managed to overcome any leaking problems. I might buy a good spare metal bulkhead and then try to repair mine back to true.
Gordinir8
Gordinir8
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Iceberg Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:21 am

Yes always need to be careful. If you tap the buldged backplate softly and bend it true slowly it will not crack.

Thanks
Ice
Iceberg
Iceberg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down