Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Sub piston induction and throttle ring Cox_ba12

Sub piston induction and throttle ring Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Irvine Mills .75 replica
by ffkiwi Today at 4:43 am

» COX .020 RC PROJECT
by 1/2A Nut Today at 4:32 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (October 2024)
by Admin Today at 1:33 am

» Happy Birthday Robert ( Rsv1cox )
by balogh Today at 1:06 am

» Carburetor Sprinkler Rod Peak Tee Dee .049 / .051
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:02 pm

» OS MAX-D
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:38 pm

» The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare.
by getback Yesterday at 3:22 pm

» Cox .020 PeeWee/TeeDee prop-screw
by getback Yesterday at 7:55 am

» Wanted peewee 20 fuel tank
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 2:05 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Fri Oct 04, 2024 7:40 pm

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -October 2024-
by Admin Fri Oct 04, 2024 7:33 pm

» Off topic - Tonka dump truck restoration. 10:27
by rsv1cox Fri Oct 04, 2024 6:32 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
September-2024
F4D Phantom II's

"Surestart .049 geared opposed twin"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Sub piston induction and throttle ring Empty
Live on Patrol

Sub piston induction and throttle ring

Go down

Sub piston induction and throttle ring Empty Sub piston induction and throttle ring

Post  Gordinir8 Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:21 am

Can I use a throttle ring on a black widow that has a spi ? I try it but didn't notice any great difference. How much rpm is dropping normally with the throttle sleeve?
Gordinir8
Gordinir8
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Sub piston induction and throttle ring Empty Re: Sub piston induction and throttle ring

Post  balogh Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:28 am

Unlike a muffler that will capture flue gases near the cylinder ports and force them back into the crankcase with SPI engines, a fully open throttle ring will allow the engine to inhale fresh air below the piston skirt. A fully closed throttle ring will not, and this will cost performance,but the purpose of the ring is to throttle the output down, anyway.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Sub piston induction and throttle ring Empty Re: Sub piston induction and throttle ring

Post  davidll1984 Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:15 am

Y have difrent throttle ring wit difrent slit size jerobee wit tee dee cylinder dual port is allowing spi the ring slit size is smaler on sand bugy bug and other cox theter cars only rc cars y have see that large opening dont notice drop in performance just thend To run litle hot wit tink is very light drop wit tee dee type combo piston cylinder ring part match Perfect on reedee engine
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:42 am

davidll1984 wrote:Y have difrent throttle ring wit difrent slit size jerobee wit tee dee cylinder dual port is allowing spi the ring slit size is smaler on sand bugy bug and other cox theter cars only rc cars y have see that large opening dont notice drop in performance just thend To run litle hot wit tink is very light drop wit tee dee type combo piston cylinder ring part match Perfect on reedee engine

David, I don't understand your messages. You can use Google translation with punctuation marks. Very Happy
Levent Suberk
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Gordinir8 Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:55 pm

Ring installed, too late to make noise now so tomorrow engine run and flight test when wind calm down. Read that those plugs are not as good as original but I can use some power reduction since this little baby flyes like hell, well I am kind of low and slow guy.

Sub piston induction and throttle ring Img_2026
Gordinir8
Gordinir8
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:52 pm

Back in the early 1980's I flew my Q-Tee single channel pulse proportional with auxiliary throttled 1970's Golden Bee with SPI, using an Ace R/C throttle ring like yours. The ring didn't seem to affect top end although it narrowed the exhaust ports slightly, but it had a decent idle.
Hijacked This was using the Ace R/C Pulse Commander with Adams dual magnet Stomper Actuator for rudder and KRD quick blip sequential throttle servo. The servo was actuated by a single push button. Normally it went from HIgh to MEDium to LOw throttle back to HIgh, but because of the non-linear action of the throttle ring (1/4th to 1/3rd open was half throttle), I had it set up so that at HIgh (pushrod forward) left the ring 1/3rd open (for half), MEDium centering the ring (for high) and LOw pulling ring back so only the idle notch was exposed (for idle). This basically reversed the sequence to LO-MED-HI back to LO, but it worked like a charm.
Back To Topic Anyway, I think you'll really like the throttle ring action, non-linear on a standard servo should work well. Regarding wanting to "detune" the Widow by using a plug head adapter, I think that although it can be done and the Q-Tee with its ample wing area will fly fine, you can accomplish the same by simple changing props (say a 5x3 instead of a 6x3) or putting one on backwards to reduce its aerodynamic efficiency.

With a throttle, the slight power increase with the Widow should be welcomed, as you can always crank the throttle slightly back, but then have the power when you need it. On a day with wind, that comes in handy.

I flew mine (before crashing it - again Embarassed ) with a Norvel .061 Big Mig and Norvel tank mount. The extra zip made it a fun aircraft, truly a sportsman's delight.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down